Man robbed trying to sell phone to online buyer
Saturday evening a man attempting to sell his phone to an online buyer was robbed of his phone. The incident happened around 7:30 pm on Saturday night in the 10000 block of Bruceville Road, near Whitelock Parkway. The man had offered the phone for sale on the site, Offer Up, and was contacted by the suspect. They agreed to meet in a parking lot. When the two met, the suspect grabbed the phone and then threw it into his car. The suspect then pulled out a knife and threatened the victim before driving off. The suspect was described as a white male, in 20’s, 6’2″, wearing an orange hat and blue shirt. According to the police report, the suspect was driving a red muscle car.
Some tips for buying or selling products to someone you meet online.
- Never meet anyone at your home address, instead utilize public areas, such as grocery stores, coffee shops, or other open businesses, during daylight hours, if possible. If the business has video cameras, that is even better. Don’t meet in a parking lot.
- Go to the Elk Grove Police Department at 8400 Laguna Palms Way, Monday – Friday, 8 am to 5 pm
- Do not go it alone, bring a family member, friend, or neighbor with you when you go to that public place to make that transaction.
- Be aware that criminals can utilize your personal and financial information such as credit card information and driver’s license numbers for financial crimes and identity theft. Be careful giving out any personal information!
- If it doesn’t feel right, back out. Trust your instincts.