Press release from the Elk Grove Police Department
Operation Crosswalk- In partnership with the Elk Grove Unified School District, Elk Grove Police Department officers will be acting as crossing guards for students on their way to school Wednesday October 31st during arrivals at 19 elementary schools throughout Elk Grove.
Here are some safety tips to remember:
• Safety around our EGUSD school sites is everyone’s responsibility: school staff, parents, students and community members
• Pedestrians have the right of way in a crosswalk; vehicles have the right of way on other sections of the street
• According to California State Vehicle Codes, the direction of any school-sanctioned crossing guard must be followed by all motorists
• Motorists must not enter the crosswalk until ALL pedestrians and the crossing guard have safely crossed and returned to the curb
• Do not park close to or inside crosswalks as this blocks visibility of pedestrians — especially children
• Motorists must obey all posted traffic signals and signs, including those that reduce the speed limit when “children our present” at times of school arrival and dismissal.