fbpx

12 year old Johnson Middle School boy collapses & dies during basketball practice

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  kindrlindr 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Very sad news. Our son just started playing basketball this month on an after school team, so that kind of hits close to home. Prayers to the family and the other kids who witnessed it. Very traumatic.

http://egcitizen.com/articles/2016/01/23/news/doc56a3877d27755876323362.txt

By John Hull
    Citizen Sports Editor
    Published: Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:00 AM PST
    A 12-year-old boy died on Jan. 22 while playing basketball at Elk Grove’s Toby Johnson Middle School. The cause of death is currently unknown.

Sacramento County coroners identified the victim as Aaron Nguyen of Elk Grove.

He was playing with a group not affiliated with the Elk Grove Unified School District, school district spokesperson Xanthi Pinkerton said.

“Reportedly, the student dropped to the floor with what appeared to be a leg cramp on the right side,” she wrote in an email to the Citizen. “Coaches went to the student’s aid and found that the student was having difficulty breathing and had no pulse.”

The coaches began CPR immediately on Nguyen who was identified as a student at Johnson. Cosumnes paramedics along with Elk Grove police and school district police responded and took the victim to the hospital.

Emergency room personnel tried to revive Nguyen, but he was reported deceased around 8 p.m.

“This is a very sad night for all of us and our hearts go out to the family,” Pinkerton wrote. “At this time we would like to honor the request of the family to respect their privacy in these solemn hours.”

She added that the school district will have counselors and other support personnel at the boy’s school on Monday to provide students and staff with counseling and emotional support.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

He attended Stone Lake Elementary before attending Toby.
    Very sad.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The practice was at Kerr Middle School, not Johnson middle school. The boy was a student at Johnson though.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I dont understand this story and the story being sent around town…….
    This said it occurred at Johnson. I have heard Kerr. What really happened?
    I am so so sad about this!!! I have a 12 year old and can’t even imagine having this happen. I am sending so much strength to the family. I am sure they will need it. 🙁

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I believe he was a student at Toby Johnson and the basketball event/practice was at Kerr. it was a private basketball event, not sponsored by EGUSD. Very sad, prayers to his family and friends

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Heartbreaking…….I am so sad for his family. I also hope and pray that the other children who were there can talk about things with counselors. That’s hard to see and not understand…..

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Scarlet is correct. I saw it on the news last night. They interviewed the dad. Apparently the boy was born with a possible heart murmur. As he grew up it sounds like it was no longer there.
    Obviously we feel horrible for the family, but also the kids who witnessed it. That would be very traumatic.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I am very sorry for the family. I haven’t really typed about this on peoples fb. I just , Isn’t it horrible. I put myself in the parents shoes, and it is very sad. I just feel terrible for them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy