fbpx
Advertisements

4 elected to Baseball Hall of Fame

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  loonyman 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz and Craig Biggio were chosen today to enter the MLB Hall of Fame. Johnson was the leading vote getter with 97%.

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens received 36% and 37% respectively. Will they ever get in? Personally I hope not. I despised Barry Bonds. Clemens, I didn’t have strong feelings either way. Those two along with McGwire, Sosa and Palmeiro are the poster boys for using PED’s, whether there is proof or not. Alex Rodriguez is another who will likely not get elected. He’s probably less liked than Bonds at this point.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

Ultimately it is up to the writers who gets voted in. They probably won’t get voted in but I don’t have strong feelings either way. If they didn’t use PED’s both Bonds and Clemens would be in, judging by what they and accomplished before the PED era. But they made a choice and now have to live with it. Just like Pete Rose, made a series of bad decisions and he will never get in. The all-time leader in hits and all-time leader in Home Runs, both not in the Hall of Fame.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Next year will be interesting. Only Ken Griffey Jr is probably a shoe in. Maybe Piazza makes it too. One thing I don’t understand with the voting is why some writers think a player should have to wait. Biggie should have made it the first year. Randy Johnson should have got 100% of the vote. I am not sold on Piazza. He was really good. I don’t know if he was Hall of Famer though. Either he is or he isn’t. Waiting 5 more years shouldn’t make a difference. His stats won’t change. I think being on multiple teams doesn’t help.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I truly don’t care if Bonds or the others get in, but I am pretty tired of the hypocrisy of the writers. Piazza was named on several docs as a juicer, and he wasn’t all that great, but his issues with Clemmons will get him a sympathy vote into the HOF. The writers have already put in a bunch of guys who were the vanguard of PED users, but they are all bent now about Clemmons, Bonds, et al? BS. This has become more of a popularity contest than ever, and it is a shame. The writers need to look in the mirror before they get all indignant about PED use. Many of them made a bundle off these guys before Balco.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.