fbpx
Advertisements

Any 1 car families out there?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Been thinking about becoming a 1 car family. The wife will become a SAHM in June and I take the bus to work. We usually always do errands together, and grocery shop. Anyone that is currently a 1 car family have any advice?

Thanks
    Kev

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We have 4 so I can’t help you. 😉

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

My wife’s daughter and her husband became a 1 car family last year. They were simplifying their lives and saving expenses. Then they adopted a boy and her husband’s work location changed. He could no longer bike to work so they went back to 2 cars. Myself, I have 4 cars(Well 2 cars, an SUV and a truck), each has a specific purpose. I can’t imagine have 1 car just myself let alone a family with 1 car.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That’s kind of how we are. We’ve always had 3 vehicles. A pickup, an SUV and my wife’s car. Last year we started leasing an Infiniti smaller SUV because we wanted something newer. Our other 3 vehicles are going to be 8, 10 and 12 this year. Definitely getting our money’s worth from them.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I took that into consideration too. My job wouldn’t change unless I wanted to leave or they moved us. Highly doubt we will move we had the opportunity and they didn’t want to. We have 2 cars currently, was thinking about getting rid of both and getting an SUV so we can fit the 2 babies and dog in comfortably. My wife has thought about watching 1-2 kids while parents are at work to bring in some type of income, but we will see how she feels about that once the newborn is here.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Even doing after school day care is a good idea.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

That’s what I told her. There are so many people in EG that would love for their kids to picked up and know that they are safe. Since she has her degree in Early childhood devlopment I think she would do an excellent job. We are actually in the process of trying to get our house licensed for something like that.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

I wouldn’t have minded doing it when I lived around the corner from work, but now that I don’t, I sure would like a working vehicle. I hate to put $$ into an old car, though.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Yea I have an 04 Corolla that’s what I drive and she drive a 2013 Accord. The corolla will need some work soon probably 1-2k to get it back to running new again. Just replaced the battery last night because it was starting to die. $90 bucks right there.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

What’s your risk? Try it.

Look at the new Honda CR-V for a smaller do anything vehicle, or a Toyota RAV. Both hold value and have good resale. If it doesn’t work out, buy another one.

Family of three here, 4 vehicles. Soon to be two with no effect on us. I’m not buying into the economy car/SUV combo. I ran the numbers many ways and it’s much cheaper to just get/keep the big SUV we need and pay the fuel tab–it’s not that much more than any other alternative for our needs and it’s only one vehicle for me, one vehicle to insure, one vehicle to depreciate, one vehicle to maintain. We’re probably always going to be a Japanese car family so very little if anything usually goes wrong. My wife has a fairly new Lexus so that’s fine for a sedan. I suspect she’ll be replacing it soon with more of a crossover over though–more room and comfort, still stingy on fuel.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Things to consider –
    will she need the car to drop off and pick up kids from school once she starts daycare? I personally don’t, I walk regardless of the weather. I have a buggy that sits six children and I created a full enclosure for rain. The only one that gets rained and hailed on is me.

If she is at home with daycare children – that means you will be the one taking the babies to the doctor appts. regular check-ups and under the weather dr visits. That means you will need the vehicle and won’t be taking the bus.

Once the baby is here most likely both of you won’t be running the errands together any longer. You will probably do quick pick ups after work. Or she will want to get out of the house because she has been there all day with children – her first year of doing daycare she is going to go stir crazy in the house.

What happens when the car needs to be in the shop for a day or longer?

When the kids get older one parent will be taking one somewhere and the other parent will be running the other somewhere else.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I was looking into the Highlander just incase my wife decides to do the after school daycare. 7 seater. I’m a car guy I’ve been doing my research. I know the one of the higher finance managers at Autowest Honda it’s where I buy all my cars from, but I’m not a fan of the Pilot. CR-V would be good, my mom has one and she likes it.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@scarlet 102832 wrote:

Things to consider –
    will she need the car to drop off and pick up kids from school once she starts daycare? I personally don’t, I walk regardless of the weather. I have a buggy that sits six children and I created a full enclosure for rain. The only one that gets rained and hailed on is me.

If she is at home with daycare children – that means you will be the one taking the babies to the doctor appts. regular check-ups and under the weather dr visits. That means you will need the vehicle and won’t be taking the bus.

Once the baby is here most likely both of you won’t be running the errands together any longer. You will probably do quick pick ups after work. Or she will want to get out of the house because she has been there all day with children – her first year of doing daycare she is going to go stir crazy in the house.

What happens when the car needs to be in the shop for a day or longer?

When the kids get older one parent will be taking one somewhere and the other parent will be running the other somewhere else.

Yea, I would be the one taking them to the appointments. She would keep the SUV while I’m at work. Afterwards if she wanted she could leave and go get meals or whatever she needs. That’s one thing that I’m hestitaing on, if the car ends up in the shop. Granted Toyota has rental cars that I could rent if need be. If I decided to buy an MDX EG Acura and I are great friends and I would be able to get a loaner. But then I have to think what if there aren’t anymore loaners that day.

Once the kids get older say 3-4 years old I would have to end up getting another car probably. I have my parents car, my dad wants to give me his truck next year Hmmm decisions that we have to make.

So I’m guessing you have a in home daycare? We are in the process of trying to get licensed but their website doesn’t give you much info on how your house should be (of course clean) I may have some questions for you if that’s ok.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I hope to be only using one car here once Spring has sprung. My wife needs one car to get to work, but I hope to be riding to and from work and running alternate evenings. I have run home from work a few times, and it is short but doable. I could make it a longer route, but only around the middle of summer because I won’t run the back roads unless I have full light. Way too many yahoos out there in cars.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

No but I wish we could. Vehicles are a huge drain on finances. For the price of a car payment you could take an awfully nice vacation every single year. Even once a car is paid off you need to register, smog, maintain, etc, etc. If you think you can swing it go for it!

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@gearshark23 102833 wrote:

I was looking into the Highlander just incase my wife decides to do the after school daycare. 7 seater. I’m a car guy I’ve been doing my research. I know the one of the higher finance managers at Autowest Honda it’s where I buy all my cars from, but I’m not a fan of the Pilot. CR-V would be good, my mom has one and she likes it.

I’ve had a couple of Pilots and love them. In fact, when we were hit from behind on Elk Grove Blvd by a guy going 50 MPH the Pilot kept the kids totally and completely safe. Everyone walked away from an accident the police said would have killed my kids if we were in anything but an SUV. Everyone who looked at the car could not believe no one went to the hospital. My son was just under 2.5 and my daughter was almost 8. Just something to consider.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.