fbpx
Advertisements

Any Wazers Out There?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

Anyone else use Waze on their smartphone? Here’s a link if you don’t know anything about it: https://www.waze.com/

I’m amazed at how useful this navigation app is. It’s a community-based app, meaning it relies on its users to show current traffic data. We recently took a drive to Yreka and were surprised how many Wazers were around us. There’s a setting where you can see other people using the app near you, and I’d say we could see someone pretty much the entire trip. Users can report accidents, road hazards, even mark the location of police officers. It’s also handy for telling you when you’re approaching a red light camera. I’ve found it to be way better than Google Maps or Apple’s map app.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

I had it but not enough other users to help out so I Uninstaller it. I mostly just drive around town anyway.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@ila 114866 wrote:

I had it but not enough other users to help out so I Uninstaller it. I mostly just drive around town anyway.

Interesting. How long ago was this?

jusme
    Participant
    • Topics - 258
    • Replies - 800
    • Total Posts - 1,058

I’ve been using this app for close to 2 years now. It helps me if I should decide to take the freeway or back roads to get to work. For example people report that Hwy 99 is slow (yellow) or at a standstill (red). If the traffic is bad I take another route through the back roads.

It can get annoying for example you take the same route everyday and if there are red light cameras there it will tell you. E v e r y t i m e you go that way. Other than that it is a great app.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

Waze is a great app, I use it all the time. It is helpful regarding traffic, hazards and reports of police in the area. I use it so much I am a “Royalty Wazer.” I recommend it to everyone.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

We love it whenever we are driving somewhere outside the Sac area-love to know when there are hazards and police.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Last week Divot 🙁

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’m totally wazeded!

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

I use it. It has come in handy more than once.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Ok, will give another try 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I tried it out this week. There are quite a few people using it. You can see their icons. I can see where it could help in some cases. It lets you know when there is an accident, a cop is present, vehicle on the shoulder or heavy traffic. In most where it’s daily commute traffic I don’t think there is much you can do.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@divotmaker 114865 wrote:

… I’ve found it to be way better than Google Maps or Apple’s map app.

interestingly enough, Google had bought the company that developed Waze not too long ago
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/11/its-official-google-buys-waze-giving-a-social-data-boost-to-its-location-and-mapping-business/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2013/06/11/four-reasons-for-google-to-buy-waze/
    Not that I’m implying that Waze cannot be better than the native navigational application to Google.

I originally used Waze for their “heads up” on police while travelling on the highways.
    Of course, all “heads up” notifications rely on users reporting accurate information/location.

The traffic notifications and re-routing is also a plus. Just that sometimes it can take you through neighborhood streets to avoid main street traffic.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@egdonald 115032 wrote:

interestingly enough, Google had bought the company that developed Waze not too long ago
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/11/its-official-google-buys-waze-giving-a-social-data-boost-to-its-location-and-mapping-business/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2013/06/11/four-reasons-for-google-to-buy-waze/
    Not that I’m implying that Waze cannot be better than the native navigational application to Google.

I originally used Waze for their “heads up” on police while travelling on the highways.
    Of course, all “heads up” notifications rely on users reporting accurate information/location.

The traffic notifications and re-routing is also a plus. Just that sometimes it can take you through neighborhood streets to avoid main street traffic.

Yeah, I’m really interested in how “involved” Google will be in the development of Waze and if they’re really allowing Waze some autonomy for 3 years.

But Waze has saved my bacon on more than one occasion by notifying me of “police ahead” when I was traveling faster than I should have been 🙂

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I just use the traffic layer on Google Maps. Why/how is Waze better?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 115045 wrote:

I just use the traffic layer on Google Maps. Why/how is Waze better?

I think maybe because it has more information like accidents, slow downs, police that Google might not have.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Google Maps shows slow downs and accidents but no police activity.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.