fbpx

Anyone fixing corned beef and cabbage?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Fatandcrabby 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I am not a fan of it at all, but my wife loves it. I made it last year for the first time. Found a recipe online and she said it was really good, so I am making it again this evening for her as a surprise. If anyone interested, here’s a link to the recipe. It’s super easy. I did the version to bake it. I did boil it, then dumped the water out, then boiled it again to get rid of some of the saltiness per the recipe. Boiling it pretty much gets rid of most of the fat. I couldn’t tell which side was which after that.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/corned_beef_and_cabbage/

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Not this year, but I only like the corned beef, anyway.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Just tried it and I have to say it was really good.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

For years I have done crock pot corned beef and cabbage. We LOVE it. Mine is going to be cooking tomorrow since Tuesday is totally busy for us and we won’t even be around to enjoy it.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Closest we’re going to get to that is pastrami (which was corned beef) and spinach. I would do the cabbage but no one else likes it.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

We do it a couple times a year. Love it. We ate it at the St. Joseph’s St. Patrick’s dinner last night. I love cabbage cooked just about any way. We had roast cabbage tonight. Yum.

Curlzz01
    • Topics - 27
    • Replies - 415
    • Total Posts - 442

Corned beef is one of my favorite meals. I usually make it a couple times a year. This year I’m at my daughter’s house. No use making it since no one here likes it. ..

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Oh…a recipe? I guess I never thought about there being a recipe for corned beef! Here’s my recipe: trim excess fat from the meat with a sharp knife. Put it in a big pot. Cover with water. Add spice packet if you want it (I do not). Bring to boil. Lower heat a bit and simmer until the meat is tender, usually all day, adding water as necessary Change water after the first several hours if you want to, don’t if you don’t want to. About 20 minutes before serving, toss in the veggies: potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, whatever you like. Serve up when the veggies are done, preferably with Irish soda bread (even though corned beef isn’t actually Irish) and potable of your choice. Leftover beef makes great sandwiches.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Sometime if you like corned beef, try making your own from brisket. Ideally you’ll need a refr without automatic defrost to keep the humidity down. It’s not hard, but you’ll need to have some sodium nitrate and cure it for about a week. Recipes are easy to find. Better than the packaged stuff. About half the time i do that for pastrami, the other half I buy the packaged corned beef and smoke it which is a lot easier. If I’m going to have actual corned beef, no contest. I make it from scratch and cure it myself.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’ve had the boiled stuff before and that didn’t taste good to me. The stuff last night almost tasted more like a ham. I think the honey mustard and brown sugar gave it a better taste. I fixed steak and satueed mushrooms for the boys and I.

ActionEmotion
    • Topics - 130
    • Replies - 1,822
    • Total Posts - 1,952

Love it for dinner and then I make corned beef hash for breakfast the following day…yum.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

not for me.
    I have a vegetarian in the house.
    She’s not impressed with the stuff.

Hmm… This might be a good enough reason to sneak out and cheat, though. 8)

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@tomwaltman 107728 wrote:

We do it a couple times a year. Love it. We ate it at the St. Joseph’s St. Patrick’s dinner last night. I love cabbage cooked just about any way. We had roast cabbage tonight. Yum.

Cut cabbage in wedges, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and drape bacon over it. Roast until the bacon is done. Unless you don’t like bacon………………..:beatdead:

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I really really dont like it. Yuck.

Fatandcrabby
    Participant
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 2
    • Total Posts - 2

Threw the potatoes, spice packet, carrots, a quarter onion and the packaged corned beef in the crock pot. Add water 2/3 covering meat. Cook 7 hours on high.

Put quarted head of cabbage in microwave safe bowl add 3/4 cup of the water from the crock pot and 2 tablespoons of vinegar and nuke on high 4 or 5 minutes.

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

Made it Saturday…..yum!!! I don’t have luck with corn beef in the crock pot so I just do my on the stove top and simmer for a few hours.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Do you guys who use the packaged corned beef soak it in water first overnight to get some of the salt out? I do, and change the water at least once. That is for pastrami though–and all I do is add seasonings and smoke it to 195° internal. I would assume that those who boil or slow cook it get the same thing accomplished.

Sometime check the sodium content on the package. That alone might motivate you do cure your own;-)

For lunch sometimes I’ll carve off 2-2.5 oz. of the pastrami, trim off the fat cap, add some fat free cheddar cheese, and microwave it on a whole wheat thin for 45 secs, add some dijon, and sometimes tomatoes and a dill pickle, and that’s a pretty good sandwich that won’t kill with calories (about 200 total).

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

LC, Interesting idea on making pastrami. I gotta try that with my smoker. We love pastrami. Never thought of soaking corned beef in water and using it for pastrami. Thanks for the idea.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

LC, if you don’t mind giving some secrets, what rub do you put on? I figure black pepper, not sure about garlic and onion powder. Also, did you use hickory for smoking? I think I have this Saturday/Sunday planned for smoking. 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I used the package one. Boiled it, dumped water and boiled it again. Then baked it.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I use the seasoning packet, and add some coriander and fresh ground black pepper. This so easy, using pre-pack corned beef:

1–remove from package, place in a plastic or glass tray, cover with water and be sure it’s submerged. Refrigerate about 24 hours, turning it once during that period and dumping the bloody red water and adding fresh.

2–remove and run under cold water with a strong stream for 2-3 minutes to get all the salt off the surface

3–dry with paper towel, rub with coriander and pepper and the seasoning packet

4– place back in tray, don’t wrap it in plastic, just in the tray. Cover the tray with plastic wrap, refrigerate for 1-3 days.

5–prepare a charcoal or gas grill (or smoker if you have one) and heat to 225°. Put the beef on the grill as far from the heat as you can get it, add wood chips. Hickory is strong so be careful. Pecan, oak, apple all work. I prefer hickory but not too much. Cook until the internal temp is 195°. Allow 3-5 hours. Pull, and refrigerate after cooling overnight, and you’re done and it’s ready to eat.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

Thanks for the info. Probably do a couple in my smoker this weekend. Supposed to be warm, so perfect weather.

jusme
    Participant
    • Topics - 258
    • Replies - 800
    • Total Posts - 1,058

My Brother-in-Law pressure cooked a pre-packed Corned Beef then baked it in the oven. It came out so good it was melt in your mouth delicious. Sadly, I am very afraid to use a pressure cooker. :frown:

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Just finished some corned beef. Yummmmmmm…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.