fbpx

Anyone going to see Star Wars this week?

This topic contains 50 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ZenGardner 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Been looking forward to this movie. We have watched the previous 6 multiple times. We are going this weekend. Got our tickets on Fandango.

Julia
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 61
    • Total Posts - 65

Nope. Never seen a single Star Wars movie. The rest of my family will go… Quiet time for Mama.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

I’m so afraid it’s going to suck I’m hesitant to see it. Both daughters have opening day tickets, though, one in EG and one in Hull, Yorkshire. There are posters all over the mall where we were today in Sandvika, but I don’t think we’re going to see it with a newborn in tow.

ryball
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 25
    • Total Posts - 25

I’ll probably go see it closer to, or after Christmas. I’m too old to deal with the early viewing madness. lol

misskate1999
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 22
    • Total Posts - 23

My dad and son have tickets for tomorrow night. I’ve never been a fan of any of the Star Wars movies. I’ve only seen bits and pieces of the first, original, three movies. I saw all of the first one in the prequel series and I hated it! Haven’t cared to watch another on since.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Blasphemy! 🙂

I think expectations are pretty high so there is a fear it may be disappointing. There will be a lot of new characters and a few of the old ones return. Looking forward to seeing how they integrate it. We usually don’t go opening weekend but I’m afraid people will spoil it. We will just get there early and get a seat.

party-of-six
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 111
    • Total Posts - 120

I thought I was the only person who has never seen any of the Star Wars movies. I probably should see the first one.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Yes, tomorrow for the family.

enags
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 67
    • Total Posts - 73

IMAX 3D in dublin, ca. with the relatives.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

After the crowds die down and possibly at the Drive Inn. Tickets prices for a family of 7 is no joke.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

No, never will. No interest at all in that genre.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 122126 wrote:

No, never will. No interest at all in that genre.

Probably doesn’t appeal to the over 60 crowd as much.

rj2ktoy
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 22
    • Total Posts - 26

We’re going on Sunday. We bought tickets weeks ago for Studio Movie Grill in Rocklin. You can choose and reserve specific seats there, so we don’t have to worry about crowds or the people that save an entire row for their family that isn’t there yet. We can’t wait!

GoodEats
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 68
    • Total Posts - 70

@misskate1999 122093 wrote:

My dad and son have tickets for tomorrow night. I’ve never been a fan of any of the Star Wars movies. I’ve only seen bits and pieces of the first, original, three movies. I saw all of the first one in the prequel series and I hated it! Haven’t cared to watch another on since.

Lol. If the my first exposure to the Star Wars series was seeing the Phantom Menace, I would’ve hated Star Wars too.

I hate crowds, so I’m not sure when I’ll go see the movie. I think my wife will be the one that will determine when we see it.

When I first heard the basic premise of the movie of the old cast meeting the new generation, I feared it would be as disappointing as Star Trek Generations was. But with J. J. Abrams at the helm though, I think he’ll do justice to the legacy that is Star Wars (the original trilogy not the disappointing prequel trilogy).

dc327
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 121
    • Total Posts - 127

My 17 year old and his friends are going tonight – got the Fandango tickets some time ago. I’d like to see it, but can wait. 🙂

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@EGL Admin 122127 wrote:

Just sci-fi in general has never interested me.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

@lc 122141 wrote:

You have to remember when the first Star Wars came out, the over sixty crowd was only 20-30 yo. I don’t think it is an age thing. However, if someone doesn’t like sci-fi, then they will not like star wars.

Personally, I will wait till netflix carries it. Not in any rush…

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

@wildoates 122085 wrote:

I’m so afraid it’s going to suck I’m hesitant to see it. Both daughters have opening day tickets, though, one in EG and one in Hull, Yorkshire. There are posters all over the mall where we were today in Sandvika, but I don’t think we’re going to see it with a newborn in tow.

A friend of mine in London has just seen and was happy, so that’s good, I guess.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

@EGL Admin 122127 wrote:

Whew! Good thing I’m not quite 60!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@norules 122143 wrote:

You have to remember when the first Star Wars came out, the over sixty crowd was only 20-30 yo. I don’t think it is an age thing. However, if someone doesn’t like sci-fi, then they will not like star wars.

Personally, I will wait till netflix carries it. Not in any rush…

I don’t think Netflix will be carrying it for a long, long time.

I think it is kind of an age thing. Sci Fi stuff was kind of hokey until Star Wars and stuff like that became really popular. I was 13 when it came out and it was mostly teens and younger adults at first. I couldn’t wait to watch it with my kids and we bought the 6 CD set, not knowing there would ever be another movie.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I’m not a fan of much Sci-Fi-, but I love Star Wars. We are excited but are waiting until next week to see it. A guy I know saw it Tuesday night at the Disney theater in LA and said it was incredible. Much better than the first three (the recently released ones) and more in line with the original 3.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The one one I liked of the second set of movies was the last one where Darth Vader came to be. The other two were not very good and I hated the guy that played Anakin/Vader. The love affair with him and Natalie Portman’s character was painful to watch.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

So Anakin is Vader!?!? Thanks for the spoiler alert.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Oops, darn it figured you may have seen it after it’s been out 20 years. 🙂

Maybe you and Norules can watch it together on Netflix.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Oh and Luke and Lea are siblings.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

Love the Star Wars movies, but you would have to pay me big money to fight the crowds on opening weekend. The answer is a big – NO WAY from this family.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

My two oldest are seeing it tonight at some event. They didn’t even invite me……coal in the stockings!!!

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@lc 122141 wrote:

The sci-fi genre is so broad that some real clunkers get written and produced. Blame Hollywood, though. They expect sci-fi to follow a particular (romanticism) formula and that generally makes for lame stories. Space Opera is a better description of a lot of what gets written, but it tends to be poor opera.

Watch the old 2001 movie for real sci-fi. It’s got an odd feel to it because it doesn’t follow the formula, but that is closer to what real sci-fi authors tend to write. Speculative fiction doesn’t draw money in Hollywood if they don’t understand it.

I’ll skip the Star Wars movie until the family wants to see it. No rush.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

@EGL Admin 122166 wrote:

Oops, darn it figured you may have seen it after it’s been out 20 years. 🙂

Maybe you and Norules can watch it together on Netflix.

Well excuse me for not wanting to shell out money and weather the crowds on a movie I can wait to see later. Ha ha. Somehow I saw the second group trilogy without seeing it on the movie screen. Not sure if I borrowed someone’s DVD or saw on TV.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Both my daughters thought it was great. I’ll wait, though.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

Interesting tidbit on the Stormtrooper helmets. Now these stories are interesting…

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/18/media/star-wars-stormtrooper-helmets-ainsworth/index.html?iid=hp-grid-dom

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The comments I have seen so far on FB say it’s really good. Really looking forward to seeing it now.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

Not much of a Star Wars fan. might catch it on Netflix

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

I love sci-fi, but have never been interested in Star Wars. I did finally watch all six of them with my older son several years ago and none of it lived up to the hype. I do generally like the work of JJ Abrams though.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

:doom: raining on the parade again

rj2ktoy
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 22
    • Total Posts - 26

I’ve heard nothing but good things about this one. It sounds like it’s more in line with Episodes 4-6.

lrnzduran
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 3
    • Total Posts - 3

We’re going to Imax tomorrow! Can’t wait. We had a Star Wars marathon this week with the kids so everyone is all caught up and excited.

dc327
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 121
    • Total Posts - 127

I’ll wait until the crowd dies down, but it sounds worth a theater viewing. The original movie is the one I remember most, so should be cool to see the characters. ��

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

My hubby’s office went together this afternoon as an extension to their Christmas party…everyone loved it! He’s trying to talk me into going tomorrow to see it again, already!

ZenGardner
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 1
    • Total Posts - 1

I really wish we could go, but in truth big crowds are not my thing. Until our little one is old enough to join us at the movies, it’s all rentals for awhile. 🙁

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@zengardner 122270 wrote:

I really wish we could go, but in truth big crowds are not my thing. Until our little one is old enough to join us at the movies, it’s all rentals for awhile. 🙁

I remember those days! Luckily we had family to babysit on occasion.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I went with my family yesterday because I love my family. I am an only child and I didn’t like star wars. My parents never took me to a movie before. So anyways with the crowds we ended up with being in almost the front row. so I left my family and sat by myself in the back.
    So I didn’t like Star Wars. My take on the movie was FANTASTIC. GREAT, AWESOME. This is coming from a non star wars fan. I love listening to the audience, they were really into it.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We watched it this morning. Got our tickets a few days ago on fandango. Movie started at 10:50 and we got there at 10:20. There was no one in line outside. Walked in and got our popcorn and soda and sat down. It was probably 1/4 full at the time. It eventually got pretty full. No big crowds or lines. They have it playing on so many theaters that it wasn’t bad at all. I imagine if you go at night it’s more crowded. I wouldn’t worry about crowds during the day.

The movie was really good. Very true to the originals. JJ Abrahms did a very good job. They introduced new characters and brought back the old ones. If you’re a fan of the series you will like it. This one was very much like the original.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

It cracks me up that people are saying its been sold out for weeks……..I had no problem getting my family tickets for tonight.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@kindrlindr 122295 wrote:

It cracks me up that people are saying its been sold out for weeks……..I had no problem getting my family tickets for tonight.

Maybe opening day was. It’s showing on so man screens in Elk Grove that there is no way it is sold out. I think it’s playing on 5 or 6 screens. According to Flixter it is being shown 32 times a day this weekend. We saw it in 3D. I don’t really notice the difference that much. Usually we don’t watch 3D but the time of the show was more in line with what we needed.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I think the imax shows are or will be sold out. Heard the operator of the one downtown expect 90 consecutive sell outs. But that’s a single screen theater.

ScottTheInsurancePro
    Participant
    • Topics - 11
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 22

We were invited by a client to the opening night at IMAX and the movie is incredible….even my wife liked it, Ha!
    Stage Nine Stores invited 100 people to the opening night and then through a Star Wars party after in Old Sac. Great night!

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

We saw Star Wars on Wednesday. It was great. Really well done! I would like to see it again.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

My son and I slipped away from the Christmas festivities and saw it in Kristiansand last week, and I was relieved that it didn’t disappoint. It was odd seeing it in a theatre with Norwegians, though, as they are not very demonstrative…all the parts where I’m sure American audiences cheered? Silence. No applause at the Falcon, R2, nothing but a few chuckles at some of the funny parts.

Popcorn tastes the same, though.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The only cheering I recall was at the end. Our theater was crowded but quiet. We were in one of the smaller at Century at Big Horn. I missed part of the opening where the words are scrolling on the screen. I got distracted dealing with the popcorn. So that made me mad.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Very little cheering in our theater, but I did some. It was very crowded even last week. I had purchased our tickets ahead of time and got there around 9:40 for a 10:15 movie and there were not 6 seats together for us, so my in laws sat separately.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

I just got some nice seats at the IMAX for Star Wars on New Year’s Eve. We’ll do that then walk down K to watch the 9pm fireworks in Old Sac.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy