fbpx
Advertisements

Armed robbery leads to shooting in Elk Grove last night

This topic contains 45 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

From the Elk Grove PD Twitter page.

EGPD investigating armed robbery/shooting 8600 block of Hume Ct. Adult male victim GSW to upper torso.
    Two black male suspects in dark clothing fled on foot. Victim taken to hospital, no update on condition at this time.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Sad

EGPD_PIO
    Participant
    • Topics - 16
    • Replies - 83
    • Total Posts - 99

Here is the summary from the robbery/shooting last night.

Time: 2222 hours
    Report #: 15-002933
    Charges: PC 211, 245(A)(2)
    Victim: WONG, WAYLAND (AMA, 35)
    Suspects: UNKNOWN (BMA’s)

V-1 was in the driveway of his residence when he was confronted by two black male suspects wearing dark clothing. During an altercation, the suspects took personal property from V-1. One of the suspects then shot V-1 in the upper torso. As the suspects fled on foot, the armed suspect fired the handgun in the direction of V-1’s wife who was near their residence. The suspects possibly fled the location in a dark colored vehicle. V-1 was transported to a local area hospital suffering from non-life threatening injuries.

Officer Christopher Trim
    Public Information Officer
    Elk Grove Police Department
    (916) 627-3709
    chtrim@elkgrovepd.org

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I wonder if it was random..

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Thank you for the update Officer Trim

Julia
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 61
    • Total Posts - 65

It was not random. My street. It’s a very long court, not the sort of area someone lies in wait. Wife believes they followed them home. I feel certain this was not random but suspects followed them. Suspects parked one house away and walked over and confronted him as he pulled into driveway. Grabbed gold necklace (wife believes this is what they were after), wallet and phone. Some sort of fight (maybe he didn’t give stuff up easily? not sure) and shot was fired. Wife came back out (she’d gone in), saw husband on ground, they shot at her, missed. That coincides with the 2 shots I heard approx 10 seconds apart. They ran back to their car and sped backwards out of court (witnessed by neighbor). We’re a pretty close knit community on this street with many long term owners, houses rarely sell here. Block parties once a year. This is just very odd and upsetting for us. Wife fears they’ll return.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

I hate hearing about these incidents in Elk Grove. Is the Victim OK?

Any leads on the scumbags?

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@julia 110121 wrote:

It was not random. My street. It’s a very long court, not the sort of area someone lies in wait. Wife believes they followed them home. I feel certain this was not random but suspects followed them. Suspects parked one house away and walked over and confronted him as he pulled into driveway. Grabbed gold necklace (wife believes this is what they were after), wallet and phone. Some sort of fight (maybe he didn’t give stuff up easily? not sure) and shot was fired. Wife came back out (she’d gone in), saw husband on ground, they shot at her, missed. That coincides with the 2 shots I heard approx 10 seconds apart. They ran back to their car and sped backwards out of court (witnessed by neighbor). We’re a pretty close knit community on this street with many long term owners, houses rarely sell here. Block parties once a year. This is just very odd and upsetting for us. Wife fears they’ll return.

Wow, it happened right in your court. I have some friends who live 2 blocks away at the court at the stop sign. Thanks for giving us an update or more of a understanding of what happened. Hopefully your neighbor is recovering. I try to not make myself a Target by having flashy things. I usually drive different directions home you can get to my house 4-5 different ways and at least 2 of those ways I could tell if someone is following me.

Hopefully these guys are caught before they strike again.

Julia
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 61
    • Total Posts - 65

As of this morning, according to the wife, the victim was out of surgery and stable.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Shooting at people steps it up a notch, severity-wise.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Yep. You can rob someone without shooting them.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@julia 110148 wrote:

As of this morning, according to the wife, the victim was out of surgery and stable.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully they catch these two losers.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Attempted murder, aggravated assault, robbery. Who knows if the car was belong to them, most of the times no.

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

Wow!!! This is horrible!!! I wonder if it was road rage or something. Seems crazy that somebody would follow someone home for a necklace. I wish all the best for the family.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

After looking at the map, and after hearing Julia tell us about the street, it is a pretty long court and it looks like it happened “deep” into the court. Maybe 8-9 houses in, so I’m certain he was followed home. 10:30 at night, no one is just going to be sitting out there waiting for someone to come outside at 10:30.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

This seems to be a developing pattern in Elk Grove. Spot someone at an ATM or maybe elsewhere, follow them home at night, and get them when they”re most vulnerable–and outside which effectively precludes use of deadly force safely (meaning staying out of the can)–and with 3 seconds to the car, not 20 seconds, the getaway is easy.

Probably not just an EG thing, and since first reported several months ago I know I am more aware of who is around when I’m pulling in the driveway, as are the house ladies now.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

And the location from the house to the freeway. Get on the freeway and can be long gone quickly…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 110191 wrote:

This seems to be a developing pattern in Elk Grove. Spot someone at an ATM or maybe elsewhere, follow them home at night, and get them when they”re most vulnerable–and outside which effectively precludes use of deadly force safely (meaning staying out of the can)–and with 3 seconds to the car, not 20 seconds, the getaway is easy.

Probably not just an EG thing, and since first reported several months ago I know I am more aware of who is around when I’m pulling in the driveway, as are the house ladies now.

It’s happened a few times in Elk Grove in the past 6 months where people are followed home.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I can recall 2-3 and they have all been near the freeway. Stonelake, then 2 on the 99 side..

I never go to the bank at night, one good thing I like about Wells Fargo is that there is one inside Bel Air, so I always go in there to the ATM machine, I never need to see a teller anyways. Need a couple of dollars, I just grab a 20 and go break it with the cashier.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I generally just cash at the store checkout. I rarely use an atm or go to the bank. I mainly do mobile deposit.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I have yet to do that. Mobile Deposit

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

ATMs are just a part of it. Jewelry is a big deal too.

A few months ago, I came within a few seconds of having my watch clipped in a K-Mart parking lot in not the best part of town. I was in the lot waiting for someone, and a friendly guy walking ( clue #1,missed) in the lot struck up a conversation. He kept approaching me, but was really good at it, and it wasn’t until he was maybe 20 feet away I realized i had my arm out the window with my good watch on, and he was totally positioning for grabbing it. I casually pulled my arm in the window, started the truck, and kept talking to see what he’d do. Guy was cool. Never broke character, just stopped and slowly started on another direction before it was over.

Southeast Asians are a great target for these guys. They tend to value fine jewelry more than many cultures, and the amount and size worn can be a strong indicator of status. I’m sure they are targeted more than anyone else.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Maybe he thought you were cute.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

That diet must be working!

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

No Bowling or movies at night and now no wearing expensive jewelry out in public. Geez!!

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

Wait…no movies at night? When did that happen? I missed that thread.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

Oh…and now I see the shooting at the movies thread. Yikes!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

There were reports last night of a shooting and a possible victim at Lamppost Pizza in Laguna. EGPD set up a perimeter and didn’t find any suspects or anyone that was shot. They had the helicopter out as well.

You can check their Twitter feed on the left side of our Home Page to stay up to date.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

If there is no victim? Is there no crime? :confused::biggrin:

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I was going to go to Safeway last night too, good think I just decided on Raley’s.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I arrived at Bel Air approximately 10 minutes after, police were just starting to tape off the scene. I spoke with someone who witnessed the incident, he was taking a break in his car. There were two men who got into a fight near Lampost, a third person shows up and started to shoot. Two headed one direction and one ran into the parking lot near Wells Fargo and then headed down the street. The bullets ended up going into the building where the vet and jewelry store are located in the Bel Air parking lot.

I’m so happy that innocent people were not hurt.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@EGL Admin 110360 wrote:

There were reports last night of a shooting and a possible victim at Lamppost Pizza in Laguna. EGPD set up a perimeter and didn’t find any suspects or anyone that was shot. They had the helicopter out as well.

You can check their Twitter feed on the left side of our Home Page to stay up to date.

You’ll be please to know that I came here first to check the twitter feed. It wasn’t updated so I went to the PD site and found it there. Is there a lag or does it update every so many minutes?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’m starting to see a link here Scarlet. Your daughter was at The Century theater shooting. You were at This one last night. What of a gang you running? 🙂

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Doc you are familiar with that all girl gang I run with 😉

I’ve never been one to live in fear or lock my doors – as a matter of fact, in the evening we will be sitting in the family room and all the sudden the door will open with out a knock and it’s for one of the kids.
    But seriously, I might come home one weekend after visiting my parents and bring home one of the items he collects. I’ve had one picked out that has a beautiful pearl handle and feels good in my hand. Nah, I still won’t do that…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

So selling the Girl Scout cookies is just a front? 🙂

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@scarlet 110377 wrote:

I arrived at Bel Air approximately 10 minutes after, police were just starting to tape off the scene. I spoke with someone who witnessed the incident, he was taking a break in his car. There were two men who got into a fight near Lampost, a third person shows up and started to shoot. Two headed one direction and one ran into the parking lot near Wells Fargo and then headed down the street. The bullets ended up going into the building where the vet and jewelry store are located in the Bel Air parking lot.

I’m so happy that innocent people were not hurt.

So lucky that no one driving down Laguna was hit with those stray bullets. They crossed the parking lot and Laguna to to hit the Laguna Creek Vet and the jewelry store.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Dang, I was at Lampost this post Fri night. Is nowhere safe?

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Just know your surroundings.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@gearshark23 110392 wrote:

Just know your surroundings.

True, but cases like that are so random, it makes it hard to do much about it. I guess if you see an altercation, run and duck. I am by no means anti-gun at all, but I just don’t understand this mentality where you get into an argument and you shoot someone over it. Gun control will never stop these instances because guarantee the people doing this don’t have registered guns and don’t follow the law anyway. That’s why when people start talking tough about standing your ground, you better have a good sense of what the other guy might do. Flipping someone off could lead to getting shot. Ridiculous. I am sure this has the attention of the EGPD.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I do not let my Mom know about the violence in this city. I do not tell her about the bank robberies, or she would be very scared to go out, and its hard enough as it is to get her out of the house, so I just can’t bear to tell her. It makes me sad that we this is happening.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

She doesn’t watch the news?

That Safeway area has had its share of issues. I think a couple of the robberies where people were followed home were from Safeway and the ATM at the B of A.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Elk Grove rarely is on CNN.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

You don’t get local channels? 🙂

CNN is even more depressing.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

It is. I have been watching it all day (CNN). Mom’s becoming a bad influence.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Are you turning into your mom?

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Dont you freak out when you realize you sound “just like your parents”, when talking to your kids. lol 🙂

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@bainc 110391 wrote:

Dang, I was at Lampost this post Fri night. Is nowhere safe?

Places are safe, people are not.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.