fbpx

“Beating up on an 84-year-old man for jaywalking,’’

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ErinO 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

Wow. That’s terrible.

It speaks volumes that his son was afraid to say how he felt about the incident in front of other police officers.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

I didn’t quite take it like you did Erin, maybe I have better re-read it. I thought the son didn’t say anything because of a pending or future lawsuit. I think the son should be teaching the father some English and those cops need to go to “compassion” training especially when dealing with someone from another culture. Seems to me the police might have been a bit harsh for an old man jaywalking but then the old man didn’t understand either and was kind of fiesty, but still don’t see how an 84 year old man could be seen as a threat to the police to cause them to beat him. Would love to see the outcome of all of this.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

If he is from China, then he has every right to fear the police. Unfortunately, he is learning that same lesson here in the US. We need to learn that lesson ourselves.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

@ila 91952 wrote:

I didn’t quite take it like you did Erin, maybe I have better re-read it. I thought the son didn’t say anything because of a pending or future lawsuit. I think the son should be teaching the father some English and those cops need to go to “compassion” training especially when dealing with someone from another culture. Seems to me the police might have been a bit harsh for an old man jaywalking but then the old man didn’t understand either and was kind of fiesty, but still don’t see how an 84 year old man could be seen as a threat to the police to cause them to beat him. Would love to see the outcome of all of this.

This is the part I was referring to:

“His 41-year-old son, a lawyer who would not give his name, first said at the station house Sunday night that did not wish to discuss his feelings about the incident.
    “I don’t want to talk about anything like that in front of all these cops,’’ he told the Post.”

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I took it how Erin did that he was afraid to talk in front of the cops. Not sure why you would need to beat up an elderly person to arrest them. It would be like beating up a 10 year old. You should be able to easily arrest and handcuff an 84 year old man.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

It could not be that hard to detain an 84 year old man. At 84 maybe he is demented and could not follow directions? That is still no excuse for beating up a Sr. citizen.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

It was his fault for walking while Chinese…

Oh wait…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.