Bullying incident at Cosumnes Oaks High School

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  kyle 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

You may have seen it on the news or on our EGLF Facebook page, but Wednesday there was a bullying incident at COHS. A couple of kids staged it and took a video of it. Typical incident. A kid is minding his own business and then another kid comes up and tries to pick a fight. The first kid doesn’t defend himself, so the bully keeps doing it and then finally the bully punches him a couple of times. What the bully didn’t expect was a bigger kid to jump in and defend the other kid. The protector comes in grabs the bully in a headlock and takes him to the ground asks him if he was going to stop. Meanwhile the poor kid being bullied is on his knees crying asking what he did wrong. Then the video stopped. The bully posted it on social media. Guess he was proud of it. I was sent the video through a message on FB. The person wanted to post it on my page. I said I didn’t feel comfortable with it because they were minors at school. I did send it to Bobbi Singh Allen on the EGUSD Board and she sent it to the school and EGUSD police. I am sure by that time they were already aware of it. Bobbi hadn’t yet seen the video and like me she was horrified by it. My first reaction when seeing it was that little punk needed his ass kicked. Seeing the bigger boy take him was an awesome sight. What happened after that though is what really makes you feel good about the community. The kids at COHS were very upset by what happened and how it made their school look and they were also upset for the boy being bullied. They were on social media showing support. They were texting the boy. Some kids made signs to support him. The mom messaged me saying they were just overwhelmed by the support. I was concerned for the boy that stepped in to help. I assumed because of the zero tolerance program that he would get in trouble. Thankfully I was wrong. The boy was hailed as a hero. Everyone was giving him high fives yesterday. The school recognized him as doing exactly what they want kids to do, stop bullying. Step in and make it stop. I also sent the video to EGPD as well so they would be aware of it. They were going to check with the EGUSD police to make sure it was addressed.

The silver lining is that the school stood up and smacked the bully. Pretty sure he didn’t expect that to happen. If anything now he may be the one getting bullied eventually. Kids were that upset with him. Now the young man that was bullied he knows he has the support and love of the other kids. The bully was suspended 5 days. I believe the kid taking the video was too. If it was my kid that was bullied I would file assault charges. Teach that kid a lesson. Want to be an asshat? Pay the price.

I was discussing the incident with Liborio Vargas, owner of Moore’s Karate in Elk Grove. He had posted on our FB page about this about what kids need to do. Channel 10 contacted him to talk about the story, but then decided not to interview him. I talked to him and I said let’s do a live video on Facebook. We did that spur of the moment last night at 7 pm. He spoke for 11 minutes unscripted. It was awesome. He mentioned we are teaching our kids how to be victims and what to do, but not teaching them to defend themselves. Sometimes the bully needs to be punched. He discussed his 3 strikes method. First one is use your voice and take a defensive stance. Tell the bully get back. By using your voice, you are drawing attention to it and hopefully someone hears and comes to help. If the bully comes back a second time, do the same thing, get your hands up and defend yourself. Use your voice. The third time he says hit the bully as hard and as fast as you can. They aren’t expecting it and it may catch them off guard. No sense standing there taking punches, fight back you have nothing to lose. I thought his talk was very motivating and something all kids should see, and their parents too. I discussed it with my kids. I told them if you see a kid getting bullied, step in and help. If you are with your friends, all of you step in and help. Don’t let that shit happen.

[video=youtube_share;bPd8Lmj3JL8]http://youtu.be/bPd8Lmj3JL8[/video]

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

That video was awful. Heartbreaking for the poor kid just standing there. And clearly the entire thing was staged, so I’m glad the bully and the kid doing the video were both suspended. I was proud of that who broke it up. He deserves the praise he’s getting.

CJay916
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

Didn’t see the video of the bullying.

But FYI, even if you are hit or getting bullied, if you hit back, chances are you will get suspended too. You need to make an effort to leave the situation first. If you are still being attacked or cannot safely leave, then you can protect yourself. That is how I understand the rules and each situation can be different.

The zero tolerance rule always gets people upset. They always say, if someone hits me, I’ll hit them back. I can’t disagree, but it can be tough for administration to enforce the rules in that case. For example, what occurs if someone walks up and pushes or hits me? They swung first and I beat the crap out of them, I am going to claim self defense since they swung first. Even though I wanted to fight them, the administration doesn’t know that. We are also trying to teach students not to always respond in violence, right? Now bullying is a different situation, but people need to look at this from both sides.

Now if I am a parent and my kid is getting bullied. I’ll have the kid take the 3-5 days suspension if they are honestly standing up for themselves. But it can be tricky situation, then when stories like this are posted online, everyone has their opinion and 99% of the time its based on emotion

kyle
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 1
    • Total Posts - 1

I very much agree that there should be no tolerance for what happened. The student who hit the other student should be punished accordingly and nothing justifies his actions. However, there appears to be more to the story than what has been presented. According to my daughter who attends COHS, the student who was hit had been making racist comments around school, including some that had been directed to the student who hit him. My daughter said that this issue was brought up by a few students in one of her classes when the incident was being discussed by her teacher. Other COHS parents mentioned to me that their son or daughter have told them something similar about the student who was hit.

Does this justify him being hit? Absolutely not. Does this justify in any way the actions of the student who hit him? Absolutely not. However, it does suggest that that student who was hit may not be completely innocent and that the school administration has some very critical issues to confront head on and out in the open with the entire COHS community.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

For the time being that is hearsay. What we do know and have proof of is the video of the bullying incident. Obviously the incident was planned. Why else have it recorded? Why post it on social media like you’re proud of it?

yahoo
    • Topics - 7
    • Replies - 4
    • Total Posts - 11

I find it hard to believe that the victim provoked the attack. If you watch the video what happened, it is looks like that attack was set up. If you want to see it for yourself just search Youtube for “Elk Grove Bullying”. From the video it appears that it made the bully feel really good hitting that kid. Scroll down until you see a video called “Bully Justice”. I’d sure like to know who this kid’s parents are. Kids like this are usually the fault of the parents.

yahoo
    • Topics - 7
    • Replies - 4
    • Total Posts - 11

I really didn’t like the response from the Elk Grove School District rep. I think is was just a kabuki theater act because this incident made the local news. I think their anti-bullying policies are more for protecting the district legally from lawsuits rather than protecting the kids. Back when I was school, kids who fought back to protect themselves or stopped a fight were not punished. They only punished the bully. Now days they give the bully a five day suspension which is like a five day vacation to stay home and play video games for them. Like they really learn a lesson from that. My advice is to sign your kid up for a good martial arts program to defend themselves at school. If you have a kid who is at risk for being bullied, it is like sending them off each morning to the lawlessness of state prison.

I have to give a hand to the kid who stepped in and stopped it. His parents should be proud of their kid and themselves.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

So like an idiot, I just went over and searched the video. Then like an even bigger idiot I watched some of the local stuff posted. Nothing like starting out the weekend sad for our world.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@yahoo 127783 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that the victim provoked the attack. If you watch the video what happened, it is looks like that attack was set up. If you want to see it for yourself just search Youtube for “Elk Grove Bullying”. From the video it appears that it made the bully feel really good hitting that kid. Scroll down until you see a video called “Bully Justice”. I’d sure like to know who this kid’s parents are. Kids like this are usually the fault of the parents.

I think the poster mean that the kid who got beat up provoked it by saying things earlier, not at that moment. Whether that is true or not though does not justify this kid coming up and beating him up.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@cjay916 127770 wrote:

Didn’t see the video of the bullying.

But FYI, even if you are hit or getting bullied, if you hit back, chances are you will get suspended too. You need to make an effort to leave the situation first. If you are still being attacked or cannot safely leave, then you can protect yourself. That is how I understand the rules and each situation can be different.

The zero tolerance rule always gets people upset. They always say, if someone hits me, I’ll hit them back. I can’t disagree, but it can be tough for administration to enforce the rules in that case. For example, what occurs if someone walks up and pushes or hits me? They swung first and I beat the crap out of them, I am going to claim self defense since they swung first. Even though I wanted to fight them, the administration doesn’t know that. We are also trying to teach students not to always respond in violence, right? Now bullying is a different situation, but people need to look at this from both sides.

Now if I am a parent and my kid is getting bullied. I’ll have the kid take the 3-5 days suspension if they are honestly standing up for themselves. But it can be tricky situation, then when stories like this are posted online, everyone has their opinion and 99% of the time its based on emotion

Yep, exactly, and this zero tolerance policy makes it very tough on everyone. One has to wonder if the instigators understand this, and will draw an A student into a fight, knowing they will get suspended if they so much as try to defend themselves with a punch. When my wife was running a school that typically had 2-4 suspensions a day for fighting (K-5), the first question from the “parents” (term used loosely) was “what did the other kid get for punishment” and the school will not tell them. It’s the suspension that’s mandatory, not the length of time, and those do vary and are discretionary.

As CJ says, if you’re going to defend yourself or are going to step in and help a victim, you’re almost certainly going to get suspended too, and on your record. How much that matters I don’t know. I had an expulsion on my record, but negotiated an expungement upon re-entry, but I was never sure if it happened. Still got my scholarships.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It’s my understanding the kid who stepped in to help was not suspended.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.