For a bit of relief from politics I offer the optimists view of the last year.
11 Reasons Why 2015 Was a Great Year For Humanity
1) We got a lot closer to global, universal education (57 million kids left to go… so 9 out of 10 are learning to read and write)
2) Extreme poverty dropped below 10% (702 million left to go)
3) More people got connected to the internet than ever before (3.2B online… so 4.1B left to go)
4) Millions of people gained access to finance for the first time
5) AIDS deaths came down for the 15th year in a row (new infections are down too)
6) Malaria death rates are at an all time low
7) Polio is about to be eradicated forever (polio no longer endemic in Nigeria)
8) Fewer people went hungry this year than ever before (805 million to go… a number that has been dropping even as the population increases)
9) More people have access to clean water (700 million to go)
10) Child mortality plunged for the 43rd year in a row
11) [I’ll skip the climate change one. Doubtful many here would like it or even agree.]
Every politician should be claiming a piece of the action.
Fortunately for our political sensibilities, most of this progress occurred elsewhere.
Maybe someone will give him another Peace Prize, though. Heh.