fbpx

Coding and Electronics for Children Ages 8-14 Sunday, April 10th, 12-4

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  SteveB6509 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

Want to get your kids into coding and robotics? InnoGrove Foundation is offering a Jumpstart drop-in session on Sunday, April 10th from 12-4. Get started with the fun and engaging PodPi adventures. Join this open forum to get started with the Arduino platform and programming using JavaScript. Get the PodPi magazine, a complete electronic kit and start learning.

This is taught by the Kids 2.0 Foundation featuring Prof. Pi (http://www.podpi.com). The session is free (although the purchase of an electronics kit is needed to participate). Feel free to take part or just drop in during this time (you don’t need to be there right at 12). Please make sure to bring your PC.

Location: InnoGrove, 8153 Elk Grove Blvd., Suite 20 (corner of EG Blvd and Big Horn – behind Chevron).
    Phone: 916-714-5335
    Email: info@innogrove.com

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

How much does the kit cost?

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

The basic kit is $65. This kit encompasses many hours of activities (we have had weekly classes where the students have been working for 6 hours and have not gone all the way through a kit), so these include activities that can be continued at home). I will ask the organizer for a better description than what I can provide here.

A link to the kits may be found here: http://www.podpi.com/kits/

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

…and with a Pi the door is open to many, many more hours of activities and learning ops.

Neat stuff. 8)

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

Here is some more clarification on the kits from the Designer (and Instructor at this Sunday’s Open House):

We design each monthly edition with 6-10 hours of content. The average kid goes through it in 8 hours. As they start learning more and more, they start expanding the projects on their own. We had some kids this afternoon that started building things not included in the magazine. That is really my goal – as opposed to some other programs and kits where they only build what is in the kit.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

will they have any of the kits on hand? How long does it take to ship the kits if not on hand?

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

They will have kits with them on Sunday.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

Great, thanks!

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Is this using the raspberry pi? My 12 year old is not as advanced as his brother (who is practically teaching his school) but he can program using the raspberry pi. I am wondering if he would get anything from this “class”. He already has a couple versions of the raspberry pi. Would he need a new one? He told me there is a 3rd version out there now.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

I asked the course coordinator – his response was:

We are using the Arduino board and introducing the kids to low level electronics and components as well as JavaScript. We will have a different track for the Raspberry Pi in the future.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

@kindrlindr 125227 wrote:

Is this using the raspberry pi? My 12 year old is not as advanced as his brother (who is practically teaching his school) but he can program using the raspberry pi. I am wondering if he would get anything from this “class”. He already has a couple versions of the raspberry pi. Would he need a new one? He told me there is a 3rd version out there now.

I asked the course coordinator – his response was:

We are using the Arduino board and introducing the kids to low level electronics and components as well as JavaScript. We will have a different track for the Raspberry Pi in the future.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Thanks Steve!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy