fbpx

Cosumnes River Blvd Extension Now Open

This topic contains 36 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  wynnak 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

The extension of Cosumnes River Blvd between I-5 and Franklin is now open. Here’s my review:

The new portion of the route is nearly freeway speeds as the road is 2 to 3 lanes with essentially no cross traffic or lights. That only for now until development occurs. From I-5 it was only about a 3 min drive to Franklin. This is where the problems begin. After Franklin the road narrows down to one lane in each direction causing congestion. At Center Parkway the lineup of cars extended half way to Franklin and took numerous light cycles to get through. One driver probably new to the road rear ended a truck. I expect the delay to get even longer once people know the road west of Franklin is now open. With the delay it took me 12 minutes to get from I-5 to 99. This is about exactly the same time it takes between the freeways on Laguna or Elk Grove Blvds. If not for the horrid design of a one lane road between Franklin and Bruceville (due to light rail taking up the ROW) this route would be much faster. Getting on S/B 99 at Calvine was a breeze and is right where traffic on 99 begins to ease.

For those in Laguna off of Big Horn it should be a great route. Make an free right on Franklin and take it down to Big Horn. You’ll avoid the left turn from Laguna to Franklin and will get home faster. For those traveling to Hwy 99 this new route won’t help you much unless they fix the one lane road issue and don’t plan on it anytime soon.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

How was the traffic westbound on CRC Blvd between Bruceville and Franklin? That’s my concern. I don’t care about the eastbound traffic. 🙂

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

W/B in the evening bottlenecks after Bruceville. Calvine goes from 3 lanes down to 1 and the W/B light at Center Parkway is a problem as only one lanes goes straight.

Doc, I’d try it once heading to Kings games at 6pm but honestly going on 99 N/B shouldn’t be a problem. In the 12+ minutes it will take you to go from 99 to I-5 you could already be downtown by staying on 99.

Earlier I failed to mention this new route will be fantastic for those who live near Valley Hi Drive and Franklin as it will be much faster and safer then taking Meadowview.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

This morning it still wasn’t opened. When did it open????

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

BTW it looked like it might be getting ready, but News10 was there and the light at Cosumnes and I-5 was still flashing red, and it was not open when I got off the freeway.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 121883 wrote:

W/B in the evening bottlenecks after Bruceville. Calvine goes from 3 lanes down to 1 and the W/B light at Center Parkway is a problem as only one lanes goes straight.

Doc, I’d try it once heading to Kings games at 6pm but honestly going on 99 N/B shouldn’t be a problem. In the 12+ minutes it will take you to go from 99 to I-5 you could already be downtown by staying on 99.

Earlier I failed to mention this new route will be fantastic for those who live near Valley Hi Drive and Franklin as it will be much faster and safer then taking Meadowview.

99 is fine. The issue is getting from 99 to 5 in the downtown. It’s stop and go. I think 5 is faster.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Laguna was actually decent today heading eastbound. Has to make a quick stop after getting off the bus and I was surprised not much traffic like a normal commute time/day. Maybe people are taking their vacation now or maybe the new off ramp is working.

Also excellent idea lets go down to one lane in each direction. Man it’s almost as bad as the street off of Laguna right by Bel air (can’t think of the street name) but they made the road curve and put planters song the whole street.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Yeah, the one lane is going to be a problem. I still don’t know if it is faster for people to take Franklin north of Elk Grove to get there. I drove south on Franklin one morning around 8 am and it was backed up from Cosumnes River Blvd at least 2-3 miles heading north. Southbound franklin had no traffic. I think for some it would have been faster to back to Laguna Blvd to get to I-5.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

You could be right about N/B Franklin in the morning so I’d suggest going to Sac take Franklin to Laguna, going home take Cosumnes River to Franklin. Free right on red and no traffic on Cosumnes. S/B traffic south of Cosumnes is fine morning and evening. Then turn left at Big Horn or wherever.

NishaG41
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 12

I took it this morning. There are 3 lanes. It was pretty smooth. Last night was also smooth.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Took Cosumnes to Franklin from I-5. More vehicles today so word is getting out. Only took 7 minutes from the freeway to Franklin/Big Horn Blvd. No way you can do that faster going 5 to Laguna, then Franklin. All those off Laguna Star, Frye Creek, Amber Creek, etc should take this route home from Sac. I took Big Horn all the way to Laguna then Laguna to 99. Only took 14 minutes from I-5 to 99 with little traffic. Much less stress and slightly faster then waiting on the single lane of Cosumnes near Center Parkway.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Good idea

zepp
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

wish there was a fast way to get from 99 to 5 or from the East Side to the 5 without going through town.

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

I came eastbound at 6 PM tonight from Clarksburg across, all the way to 99. It was pretty empty until Bruceville. Fantastic route if you need am alternative way to Franklin Blvd. into EG!

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I sure hope it alleviates traffic on the 99 north. Today there was yet another serious backup due to an accident. We take 99 south in the morning, so thankfully we don’t have to sit in the 99 north mess, but it isn’t pretty.

Always
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 1
    • Total Posts - 1

I am SO excited about this, makes Clarksburg that much closer to home. (= It’s still new, hopefully everything balances out after a while.

Cowgirl
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 2
    • Total Posts - 2

There was more traffic on the way home on I5 today after they opened the exit to Cosumnes River towards the east.

NishaG41
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 12

I’ve been enjoying it, so far. We’ll see what happens once it get more popular.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I fell asleep so I don’t know how the traffic going home was.

wynnak
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 2
    • Total Posts - 2

Last night my quick drive down the extension was great.. and traffic was fine after Frankin. Unlike the night previous. Each night there was still a 5-10 minutes difference in my usual commute in favor of taking the new exit. I just need to be awake enough in the morning to give it a try going TO work :).

MooseMom
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 254
    • Total Posts - 353

I took the CRB interchange in the morning Wednesday, and in the afternoon coming home from downtown. My only real concern is that the northbound I-5 on-ramp is not well done. It is more of a hard 90 degree turn, instead of a more gradual on-ramp/acceleration lane thing. Taking the EB offrampf from SB I-5 in the afternoon was fine. A tad confusing with three of the four lanes turning left (east), but easy enough to navigate. I will be using this one on those rare occasions when I drive to downtown. Yes the Franklin Blvd (NB) light at CRB was rather odd. Having to wait for the crossing arms in order to turn left (EB) onto CRB was very odd, but certainly worth the time to not have to drive south in order to go north ultimately.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I took Cosumnes from I-5 to 99 again yesterday around 5pm. Traffic flowed much better on the single lane section. There was an accident last time which probably slowed things down. Only took 9 minutes between the freeways. You can never do that on Laguna during peak traffic. Anything that distributes traffic away from our other crowded roadways is a good thing. However, the benefit of this new connector between the freeways will be diminished as Delta Shores builds out and those stop lights turn from green to red.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@bainc 122229 wrote:

I took Cosumnes from I-5 to 99 again yesterday around 5pm. Traffic flowed much better on the single lane section. There was an accident last time which probably slowed things down. Only took 9 minutes between the freeways. You can never do that on Laguna during peak traffic. Anything that distributes traffic away from our other crowded roadways is a good thing. However, the benefit of this new connector between the freeways will be diminished as Delta Shores builds out and those stop lights turn from green to red.

I was going to mention that. I’m going to give it a shot today since I drove to work. But of course I’m not going home during commute time.

I still think you 99 people need to stay over on your freeway. :p

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@gearshark23 122232 wrote:

FYI…We’re already there. I’m about 50/50 on days I take 5 or 99 home. I check google maps for traffic before I leave and if 99 is all red I take 5. If there’s some red between Mack/Cosumnes I’ll still take 99. I’m in the office at 6:30am so I always take 99 to work. Taking 5 and going across town at Laguna really isn’t faster then 99 but it’s less stressful when 99 is stop and go the entire way.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973
    gearshark23;122232 wrote:
    i was going to mention that. I’m going to give it a shot today since i drove to work. But of course i’m not going home during commute time.

lol…

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@bainc 122237 wrote:

FYI…We’re already there. I’m about 50/50 on days I take 5 or 99 home. I check google maps for traffic before I leave and if 99 is all red I take 5. If there’s some red between Mack/Cosumnes I’ll still take 99. I’m in the office at 6:30am so I always take 99 to work. Taking 5 and going across town at Laguna really isn’t faster then 99 but it’s less stressful when 99 is stop and go the entire way.

LOL, your an early bird worker. Wish my agency allowed us to come in that early. The earliest is 7 over here.. When I was at FTB people came in at 5:30 and I started at 6.

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

I’ll try it tonight as a route to southbound Franklin. It will be interesting if it is a faster way to Laguna and Franklin.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I took it on Friday. Of course it was dead because it was 1:45 in the afternoon.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

They will build , so its wonderful for now. but they (city) seem to not like empty land. so I am sure we will get another nail salon.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Yes, it will all be built up within the next 3-4 years. Maybe sooner.

They’re already prepping for Delta Shores.

daixy
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 2
    • Total Posts - 2

@gearshark23 122425 wrote:

Yes, it will all be built up within the next 3-4 years. Maybe sooner.

They’re already prepping for Delta Shores.

do you think they’ll put a road through to 24th St?
    What’s the speed limit on the new road?

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Yes, 24th and Detroit will go through to the new road. I also think Manorside drive will connect the old and new neighborhoods.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@daixy 122428 wrote:

do you think they’ll put a road through to 24th St?
    What’s the speed limit on the new road?

I’m sure of it. Easier access.

Speed limit I’m not sure didn’t notice, maybe 45-50 right now. I know some people at work have noticed people going 65+ like a freeway.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@bainc 122434 wrote:

Yes, 24th and Detroit will go through to the new road. I also think Manorside drive will connect the old and new neighborhoods.

I’ll bite my tongue with Detroit.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Ok, I’ll say it. The neighborhood off Detroit is one of the worst neighborhoods in Sacramento. Those houses we built between 1960 & 1970 and range in value between $100-200k with most being under $150k. Would any sane person buy a new house adjacent to these in the $350k range? Anyone that knows anything about Real Estate knows you buy three things location, location, and location.

NishaG41
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 12

There is supposed to be another light rail station over there, between Meadowview and Franklin, so, yes…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Used the CRC extension to I-5 for the first time today. I had to go show a home in the Pocket area. It was noon on a Saturday so traffic was light. It took me about 16 minutes from Bond and Bradshaw. I took Sheldon to 99 to Calvine to CRC Blvd to 5. Siri was telling me to take Florin Road to get there. Finally she gave up when she thought I was in the middle of nowhere.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

I just drove the extension the other day as well. It was a very quick way to cut over from 99 to 5.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy