Cracker Barrel Coming to Sacramento?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 1 year, 11 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #177847

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    For years California residents have been asking for a Cracker Barrel in California. According to a story in the Sacramento Business Journal, they could be getting their wish in Sacramento.


    From Sac Biz Journal story: Sacramento County public records confirm a pre-application meeting for a proposed Cracker Barrel Old Country Store in the Arden-Arcade area. The proposed building would cover about 9,112 square feet with 149 parking spaces, according to public records.The work location is listed as “1000 Howe.” Canton Super Buffet is currently located at 1000 Howe Ave. The buffet was open for business on Monday.

    If you have ever been to the south and had the chance to eat there, you might understand why people have been asking for them to come west. Their website doesn’t list any locations in California, so this could be the first one.

    VXD-690_Prime_Evergreen_SD_GWHero_1500x300_photography._CB282081388_.jpg

  • #295051

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    They are also going into Los Angeles, or planning to. That and here were announced several months ago. Howe would we a peculiar location for them as they are usually very freeway oriented. Previously they refused to go into any non tip credit states. Apparently they’ve run out of expansion opportunities in those tip credit states?

    These are the stocks we should be buying. I try to pick up most retailers who have not expanded into California when they finally do. That is about the surest bet in the market over a 1-3 year period. I know this because I did not buy Walmart when they announced and have been kicking myself for being so stupid since then. But, it did remind me to buy those expansion deals, although I normally hate retail stocks.

    Doc, I didn’t know you had ever been to the South. Where did you go?

  • #295045

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    @lc 127645 wrote:

    They are also going into Los Angeles, or planning to. That and here were announced several months ago. Howe would we a peculiar location for them as they are usually very freeway oriented. Previously they refused to go into any non tip credit states. Apparently they’ve run out of expansion opportunities in those tip credit states?

    These are the stocks we should be buying. I try to pick up most retailers who have not expanded into California when they finally do. That is about the surest bet in the market over a 1-3 year period. I know this because I did not buy Walmart when they announced and have been kicking myself for being so stupid since then. But, it did remind me to buy those expansion deals, although I normally hate retail stocks.

    Doc, I didn’t know you had ever been to the South. Where did you go?

    Only went to Florida one time. Went to a Real Estate convention and then we went to Disneyworld. That’s the extent of it. Did go to Cracker Barrel a couple of times though.

  • #295060

    violarose
    Member
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

    What is it. Grocery store?

  • #295055

    newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

    It’s a chain restaurant and “country” store. Fattening, comfort style foods-lots of breakfast items (served all day) and things like grits, mac and cheese, etc, and old time candy and kids toys, quilts, and folksy type decor. They are all over the US, but especially every few miles in the South.

  • #295065

    CJay916
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

    I’ve been a few times. Pretty Good food. Comfort style food. Similar to Black Bear, but better in my opinion.

  • #295046

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    @violarose 127654 wrote:

    What is it. Grocery store?

    They only allow white people. hence the name Cracker. 🙂

  • #295052

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    It’s OK. We usually make one stop when we’re in the South, but Waffle House is my go to place because it’s so old school and sketchy. When in the South and on the freeways, the choices are not that great unless you know good local places, which except for the places we frequent, we usually don’t. Cracker Barrel is consistently pretty good and the gift shop can be fun. I don’t see them killing it out here after the honeymoon, but maybe they will.

  • #295062

    loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

    They are all over Arizona, I have been to a few of them. Food is OK but for some reason they are always busy. The store is the best part, especially the old candy.

    Interesting article about them in the Wall Street Journal the yesterday. Stock price has quadrupled in the past five years and is up 20% this year. The article doesn’t mention expansion into California.

    They will do OK here, but I wish Sacramento was getting a Steak n Shake instead. Closest one is in Reno but they are coming to California (a few locations in So Ca and one in Daly City, and possibly East Bay). They have an extensive variety of burgers and shakes, more than any other restaurant I’ve seen.

  • #295056

    newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

    Steak N Shake announced the East Bay last week. The first outlet is poised to open at 362 E. Market St. in Daly City, with an opening day set for October 15, San Francisco Business Times reported.

  • #295047

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    Never heard of Steak n Shake

  • #295053

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    @EGL Admin 127670 wrote:

    Never heard of Steak n Shake

    You aren’t missing much, you’ll see if they do expand here. We tried them a few times I think in the Atlantic states, nothing special other than lots of choices for burger toppings. Some people like them–my daughters eats at the store in Reno when she’s working up there.

    We’ve tried most of the non-California chains, except for White Castle which I can never seem to find. Roy Rogers, Kenny Rogers, Friendly’s, none of them are very good. The only place I crave is Waffle House. We’ve been to 12-15 of them, the nastier the better. I order the same thing every time–All Star Breakfast with pecan waffles. So good, such greasy spoons, love the place.

  • #295063

    loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

    Not missing much by not having Waffle House. There’s a reason they are where they are.

  • #295048

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    It’s interesting that people get so excited about different restaurants coming. Most are just okay. Very few are like wow, really good. Breakfast is my least favorite meal to eat at a restaurant. I prefer lunch or dinner.

  • #295064

    loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

    @EGL Admin 127691 wrote:

    It’s interesting that people get so excited about different restaurants coming. Most are just okay. Very few are like wow, really good. Breakfast is my least favorite meal to eat at a restaurant. I prefer lunch or dinner.

    I think because we don’t have these places close by we have a different perspective. When you visit somewhere you may look forward to eating at places that you can’t at home. Once they come here you go there at first, maybe less often as time goes by. Human nature.

  • #295057

    newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

    It’s the same anywhere. When Carl’s Jr or Del Taco (I can’t remember which one it was) moved into Texas all my friends who had moved there from CA where so excited. They said the lines were out the door and where SO long for months and months.

  • #295058

    newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

    @loonyman 127686 wrote:

    Not missing much by not having Waffle House. There’s a reason they are where they are.

    Yep. I’ve been to a Waffle House once, in Florida. It was gross, and not just the food but the place itself. We had been flying all day though, and everyone was tired, and it was the only thing open walking distance from our hotel (we didn’t have a rental car) plus we knew the kids would eat pancakes and not complain.

  • #295054

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    They are the classic greasy spoon for sure. i love all of them, but then I don’t always judge places as others may. Sterile they are not–character is what they have, plus I love their breakfasts.

  • #295049

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    @loonyman 127695 wrote:

    I think because we don’t have these places close by we have a different perspective. When you visit somewhere you may look forward to eating at places that you can’t at home. Once they come here you go there at first, maybe less often as time goes by. Human nature.

    Yep. I think they also realize maybe those places aren’t so great after all once they get here.

  • #295059

    newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

    @lc 127700 wrote:

    They are the classic greasy spoon for sure. i love all of them, but then I don’t always judge places as others may. Sterile they are not–character is what they have, plus I love their breakfasts.

    Yes, this place was far from sterile.
    I’m with Doc in that breakfast is not a meal I prefer to go out to eat for. Plus, I’m not much of a breakfast eater in general. I’d rather go out for lunch or dinner than breakfast. Our meal at Waffle House was to be dinner, and it was important to find somewhere the kids would happily eat. What little kids don’t love pancakes for dinner? It served the purpose that night, but I would stick to Cracker Barrel any time. I’ve been to only 3 or 4 of them, but they were all clean.

  • #295061

    SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

    I’ve been to a couple of Steak n Shakes and it just seems to be a lot of marketing fluff. I’d take 5 Guys and Habit Burger over them.

  • #295068

    Bainc
    Member
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

    Remember when In N Out came to Elk Grove? It was a mad house. I also remember stopping at In N Out in Vacaville or Tracy everytime we went to the bay area. Since the EG location opened we haven’t been to either of those locations.

  • #295066

    CJay916
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

    @bainc 127706 wrote:

    Remember when In N Out came to Elk Grove? It was a mad house. I also remember stopping at In N Out in Vacaville or Tracy everytime we went to the bay area. Since the EG location opened we haven’t been to either of those locations.

    In n Out is still a madhouse at dinner time. :sarcastic

  • #295050

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    I think part of it is In n Out is slower because I guess they make it there? The drive through is really slow. That’s why it’s so backed up. I went by there Tuesday night at 6:30 and the cars were almost out to East Stockton.

    I prefer chick Fil A myself. I like their chicken sandwiches.

  • #295069

    Bainc
    Member
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

    In N Out is still busy but the first year or so was nuts compared to today. That was about 1996 or 1997 if I recall correctly.

  • #295067

    CJay916
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

    @EGL Admin 127711 wrote:

    I think part of it is In n Out is slower because I guess they make it there? The drive through is really slow. That’s why it’s so backed up. I went by there Tuesday night at 6:30 and the cars were almost out to East Stockton.

    I prefer chick Fil A myself. I like their chicken sandwiches.

    Even when the cars are to East Stockton, drive through is still only about 15 minutes. Its not too bad

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy