Crime comparison, Sacramento-Elk Grove-Roseville

This topic contains 93 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 2 years ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We took a look at the FBI crime statistics for 2014-15 for Sacramento, Roseville and Elk Grove. The report only covers cities over 100,000 people.

There is a disclaimer from the FBI on comparing statistics for cities:

Figures used in this Report were submitted voluntarily by law enforcement agencies throughout the country. Individuals using these tabulations are cautioned against drawing conclusions by making direct comparisons between cities. Comparisons lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. It is important to remember that crime is a social problem and, therefore, a concern of the entire community. In addition, the efforts of law enforcement are limited to factors within its control. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual agencies. Further information on this topic can be obtained in Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics: Their Proper Use.

[IMG]https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13516680_1161230053923453_8246076358706386526_n.png?oh=1f51b7bc9dc42daf15b906e2996de028&oe=57F4A12B[/IMG]

1 The 2014 population figures are FBI estimates based on provisional data from the U.S. Census Bureau. See the data declaration for further explanation.
    2 The figures shown in this column for the offense of rape were reported using the revised Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) definition of rape. See the data declaration for further explanation.
    3 The figures shown in this column for the offense of rape were reported using the legacy UCR definition of rape. See the data declaration for further explanation.
    4 The FBI does not publish arson data unless it receives data from either the agency or the state for six months of at least one of the reporting years.
    5 The population for the city of Mobile, Alabama, includes 55,819 inhabitants within the jurisdiction of the Mobile County Sheriff’s Department.
    6 Complete January through June data for 2014 are not available.
    7 This agency began the year submitting rape data classified according to the legacy UCR definition. However, at some point during the calendar year, the agency modified its reporting methods and began classifying and submitting rape offenses according to the revised UCR definition of rape. See the data declaration for further explanation.

Important note about rape data
    In 2013, the FBI UCR Program initiated the collection of rape data under a revised definition and removed the term “forcible” from the offense name. The UCR Program now defines rape as follows:

Rape (revised definition): Penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim. (This includes the offenses of rape, sodomy, and sexual assault with an object as converted from data submitted via the National Incident-Based Reporting System [NIBRS]).

Rape (legacy definition): The carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will.

Since the implementation of the revised definition of rape in 2013, not all agencies/state UCR programs have had the ability to change their records management systems to accommodate the change. Therefore, this report provides a column for rape (revised definition) and a column for rape (legacy definition). The data shown in the rape (revised definition) column include those from agencies that reported rape under the UCR revised definition as well as converted data from agencies that reported data for rape, sodomy, and sexual assault with an object via the NIBRS. The data shown in the rape (legacy definition) column include only those agencies that reported rape under the legacy definition via the Summary Reporting System (SRS); it does not include any converted NIBRS data.

Data Declaration
    Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.

Link the FBI Report

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2330[/ATTACH]

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I am not worried about crime. I am worried about my individual self, and how the hell did I get to E.G in the first place. and where am I going from here. 🙂

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Even though Roseville has a smaller residential population, with the mall and all the stores there, many people are there during the day for shopping and such. I would bet some of their increased crime numbers in motor vehicle theft and larceny are a result of the mall. The violent crime stats are very, very concerning and truly show a difference in our populations. I will take non-violent crime such as larceny over violent crime any day.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I think most people realize “Sacramento” means the City of Sacramento, not the region or the county. I think Newmom is right about the mall contributing heavily to the non-violent crime, car break-ins, shoplifting, etc. My daughter lives in Roseville, and she does say there seems to be on ongoing problem with garage and package thefts, however a good share of the crime occurs in Old Roseville, not the burbs. She also said when they catch the people they all look the same–4WD pickup, wife beater shirts, tats, guys and chicks look about the same. Not sure that’s consistent with the EG scene.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I pointed out old Roseville on the FB page. Didn’t get much response. I figured because most people don’t know the existence of old seedy Roseville. Plus most of the surrounding communities around Roseville like, Rocklin, Penryn, Granite Bay, Lincoln are low crime. Citrus Heights isn’t great. EG is surrounded by Wilton which is great but small and South Sac.

A city the size of Sac is difficult to compare with a wide range of neighborhoods from Meadowview, to Pocket, to Land Park, to North Sac. Elk Grove is similar throughout the city. All of which I feel is safe. There is no “I don’t go to that part of town.”

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

The argument that victims of violent crime usually know their attacker, so most people in Elk Grove are safe, doesn’t change my view of Elk Grove compared to places like Roseville at all. When our violent crime rates are two and three times that of “comparable” cities, we have a lot more losers committing violent crimes. I would really like to see a significantly expanded police force, with a far more visible presence, in our city. While I really believe EGPD does a great job with the resources they have, I believe we need far more officers on the streets to proactively protect the city, and respond even faster and in greater numbers in response to an event.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@newmom 126487 wrote:

The argument that victims of violent crime usually know their attacker, so most people in Elk Grove are safe, doesn’t change my view of Elk Grove compared to places like Roseville at all. When our violent crime rates are two and three times that of “comparable” cities, we have a lot more losers committing violent crimes. I would really like to see a significantly expanded police force, with a far more visible presence, in our city. While I really believe EGPD does a great job with the resources they have, I believe we need far more officers on the streets to proactively protect the city, and respond even faster and in greater numbers in response to an event.

This is one of the reasons I think city of Davis is so restrictive on their “expansion”.
    The more we push the limits of immediate population, the further the EGPD has to reach out, thinning things out.
    Don’t get me wrong, i’m not an anti-growth resident, I’m just saying that if there isn’t a viable plan to further solidify the foundation of city services, such as PD, FD, and whatever, then let’s take a slower look at it.

At times, it seems to me EG is in such a hurry to grown into a metropolis or some sort of destination city.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Rapid expansion (mostly under county leadership) has diluted home values here. Every member of our current council seems to think bigger is better and are bent on expanding the city. I’m sure we’ll expand and grow but at a slower pace would ease the dilution of home values.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think at this point in time the feeling is that to get more businesses here that we need to have more people to make up for the lower income demographic the city has. So maybe a city of 200,000 is more attractive to businesses than 160,000. Plus the county is expanding north of the city and there are no services for those people so they will be more likely to come into the city to shop and eat

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Except that they have brought in how many apartment buildings, many low income? How many houses with very small yards, rather than homes on larger lots (that usually go for more money?)?
    Sorry, but we’ve been told for 15 years now that businesses won’t come until we have more people, and that we need executive type homes to attract high income earners. How many people have come here in that time? How many executive type homes were built versus apartments, condos, and small lot homes? Meanwhile, Roseville has a smaller population and far more businesses and amenities. Clearly the approach the city of EG has been taking since incorporation (which is basically the same, just different leadership) isn’t working. As other cities have grown, they have attracted good businesses, high income residents, and maintained a low crime rate. Higher income earners are actually leaving Elk Grove, and new ones aren’t replacing them. Why? Crime is a major factor.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@newmom 126497 wrote:

Except that they have brought in how many apartment buildings, many low income? How many houses with very small yards, rather than homes on larger lots (that usually go for more money?)?
    Sorry, but we’ve been told for 15 years now that businesses won’t come until we have more people, and that we need executive type homes to attract high income earners. How many people have come here in that time? How many executive type homes were built versus apartments, condos, and small lot homes? Meanwhile, Roseville has a smaller population and far more businesses and amenities. Clearly the approach the city of EG has been taking since incorporation (which is basically the same, just different leadership) isn’t working. As other cities have grown, they have attracted good businesses, high income residents, and maintained a low crime rate. Higher income earners are actually leaving Elk Grove, and new ones aren’t replacing them. Why? Crime is a major factor.

whssm

More residents needed is laughable. They talk about the need for high end housing yet in SEPA they reduced the setbacks on Estate Residential lots to 5 feet. Nothing says Executive housing or Estate living like having 5 feet from your house to your side fence.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

If people want larger homes on larger lots, they need to go to the east side or in some areas of Laguna. I don’t know that there is a market for executive housing here. Out by Sheldon and Grantline, there is a lot of really nice homes. Most people probably don’t even know about them. I would rather live out there than in nice housing in Laguna.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 126502 wrote:

If people want larger homes on larger lots, they need to go to the east side or in some areas of Laguna. I don’t know that there is a market for executive housing here. Out by Sheldon and Grantline, there is a lot of really nice homes. Most people probably don’t even know about them. I would rather live out there than in nice housing in Laguna.

I was over behind Jack in the Box/Bond the other weekend. I never knew the houses looked like that over there, I was really impressed. If I had to move out of my area and was staying in Elk Grove and worked up 50, I’d consider that area. Then there are some really nice big homes over by PG.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@EGL Admin 126502 wrote:

oh man! that area is cool. I like land so I wouldn’t mind living on a moderate sized plot of land. However, I’m stubborn to hire landscapers :P, not to be confused with “cheap”, because if I could afford that area, then money is probably not a problem for me 🙂
    Generally if I know I can do it – I prefer to punish myself and do it on my own. However, I’m sure I’ll beat myself up enough to soon give-in to hired help – haha.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 126502 wrote:

But we were constantly told that we needed to rezone land for more houses to bring more people, that we needed more houses on larger lots to attract higher income earners…just to bring the mall and more businesses/employers. Now we have a dramatically out of balance homes to job ratio, far more “starter” homes with no yard, more apartments, and more condos, and still no mall and no businesses. Oh, and far more violent crime.
    EG was/is taking the quick buck rather than looking long term. That’s not how you build a city people want to stay in long term.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

You guys are talking about Quail Ranch. Nice custom homes on large lots. The rural area is a completely different animal as the lots are 2 acre min and on wells/septic.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I’m not sure what people expect from Elk Grove. It’s at the far south end of the trade area for many businesses, and is essentially a 90 degree market. There is nothing to the east or west, and very little to the south. Roseville is a 360 degree market; Folsom a 270 degree market. Like retailers who want to be at the corner of Oak and Main because it’s an epicenter of a wheel with spokes leading in all directions, cities with more directional influence tend to thrive the best. A great number of people who live in Elk Grove came from outside the region. The housing was the least expensive of the new cities/growth areas, and it it the closest to the Bay Area, not far from downtown. It’s a commuter city, always will be until the south and east develops.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 126516 wrote:

You guys are talking about Quail Ranch. Nice custom homes on large lots. The rural area is a completely different animal as the lots are 2 acre min and on wells/septic.

I’m referring to the homes off Sheldon near Grantline, Sleepy Hollow and Corfu and also the homes south of Grantline in Sheldon Woods. Those are some really nice homes back in there. Nicest homes in Elk Grove.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 126518 wrote:

I’m not sure what people expect from Elk Grove. It’s at the far south end of the trade area for many businesses, and is essentially a 90 degree market. There is nothing to the east or west, and very little to the south. Roseville is a 360 degree market; Folsom a 270 degree market. Like retailers who want to be at the corner of Oak and Main because it’s an epicenter of a wheel with spokes leading in all directions, cities with more directional influence tend to thrive the best. A great number of people who live in Elk Grove came from outside the region. The housing was the least expensive of the new cities/growth areas, and it it the closest to the Bay Area, not far from downtown. It’s a commuter city, always will be until the south and east develops.

I agree. People want it to be like Folsom and Roseville and it doesn’t need to be and never will be or would never be no matter what was done. The dye was cast years ago when the county made it a commuter area. Folsom and Roseville were already cities and controlled what they did.

I don’t see executives wanting to live in a subdivision. If they want a nicer home, they can live on the east side or near Valley Hi in Laguna Woods. There are lots going in on Sheldon, east of Waterman. I think they want $300,000 for a 2 acre lot. I don’t see those selling very well. You’re going to pay at least $400-500K to build a home custom home. $800K to live there? No thank you.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 126519 wrote:

I’m referring to the homes off Sheldon near Grantline, Sleepy Hollow and Corfu and also the homes south of Grantline in Sheldon Woods. Those are some really nice homes back in there. Nicest homes in Elk Grove.

Donald and Gear were talking about behind Jack in the Box. That’s Quail Ranch: Custom, larger lots, city water/sewer. I agree with you about the areas in Sheldon being the nicest in the city but when you talk to the “rural folks” they want you to think that area is still rural and will fight like crazy against widening of streets, adding sidewalks, curb/gutters, trails. Mention connecting to water and sewer and they’ll flip out. They think that area is still rural. I think of that area as being upscale but not rural. That ship has also sailed. If you want rural you need to head out to Wilton.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It’s semi rural.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Is that like mostly dead?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@lc 126518 wrote:

I expect it to be safe, clean, and a good city for raising a family. I don’t care about having tons of amenities (as I’ve said before) but I do expect the people leading this city to know what they are talking about and do what they talk about. We were told over and over that land had to be rezoned for houses to increase population density to get a mall. We were told we needed to have more executive type housing to lure employers here. Well, we rezoned a ton, don’t have a mall….and instead of building executive housing, we have apartments, condos, and starter homes on super small lots. Now, they want to expand the city, bringing in more of the same, and make Elk Grove a “destination city.” Where does it end?

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 126519 wrote:

I was talking about Quail Ranch….

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@newmom 126526 wrote:

I expect it to be safe, clean, and a good city for raising a family. I don’t care about having tons of amenities (as I’ve said before) but I do expect the people leading this city to know what they are talking about and do what they talk about. We were told over and over that land had to be rezoned for houses to increase population density to get a mall. We were told we needed to have more executive type housing to lure employers here. Well, we rezoned a ton, don’t have a mall….and instead of building executive housing, we have apartments, condos, and starter homes on super small lots. Now, they want to expand the city, bringing in more of the same, and make Elk Grove a “destination city.” Where does it end?

Like you said, Elk Grove is in it for the quick buck. They want to make it the “destination city” but IMO the only thing they have going for them is the “cheaper” houses, compared to Folsom, Roseville, Rocklin. If I was someone looking to buy a house and had lets say 425k to spend. My first thing is location, and since I have 2 kids, I want to go to a city that has things for my kids to do. EG is not one of them. But I’ve been out here for 20 years. When I was a kid, I was in Folsom.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 126523 wrote:

It’s semi rural.

That sounds about right.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

@gearshark23 126528 wrote:

Like you said, Elk Grove is in it for the quick buck. They want to make it the “destination city” but IMO the only thing they have going for them is the “cheaper” houses, compared to Folsom, Roseville, Rocklin. If I was someone looking to buy a house and had lets say 425k to spend. My first thing is location, and since I have 2 kids, I want to go to a city that has things for my kids to do. EG is not one of them. But I’ve been out here for 20 years. When I was a kid, I was in Folsom.

Just curious, what city around here has the things you are looking for your kids to do? What are the things that you want for your kids?

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Elk Grove is great for families with kids. I think the young adults have little to do.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@norules 126532 wrote:

Just curious, what city around here has the things you are looking for your kids to do? What are the things that you want for your kids?

Elk Grove has some events but most of their events are during the day, and if you have a family that works you can’t take your kids to the events. CSD hosts some events during the weekend. I like how Roseville and Folsom have events after 5 PM. We don’t have an art place for kids, where they can go and color freely like Art Beast. I mean everything is driving distance. (Train museum, Children’s museum, Indoor soccer for kids) but if we had that stuff out here it would be nice. If you go bowling it seems that you have to go during the day.

I could be totally wrong, because I don’t check the event calendars often.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@bainc 126533 wrote:

Elk Grove is great for families with kids. I think the young adults have little to do.

What is there to do? Maybe my kids are too young.. I know there’s food trucks and other little things. But anything for little kids?

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

@gearshark23 126534 wrote:

Elk Grove has some events but most of their events are during the day, and if you have a family that works you can’t take your kids to the events. CSD hosts some events during the weekend. I like how Roseville and Folsom have events after 5 PM. We don’t have an art place for kids, where they can go and color freely like Art Beast. I mean everything is driving distance. (Train museum, Children’s museum, Indoor soccer for kids) but if we had that stuff out here it would be nice. If you go bowling it seems that you have to go during the day.

I could be totally wrong, because I don’t check the event calendars often.

This is just looking at the city and selecting “Learning and Play Opportunities”.

http://www.elkgrovecity.org/city_hall/city_government/calendar

CSD events: http://www.yourcsd.com/384/Special-Events

summer camps at CSD: http://www.yourcsd.com/694/Summer-Camps

CSD activities guide book: http://ca-cosumnescsd.civicplus.com/172/Activity-Guide

You may have to pay for some of these events, but they are out there. We had our kids in the Summer Camps for three years. They really enjoyed it. We have used CSD for several classes for kids and teens.

We went to the parks around Elk Grove and let the kids play out there. We changed it up and went to different parks depending on what the kids wanted to do.

If you want to go to downtown for events, realize we are only 15 minutes from there and we pay less for the homes compared to downtown Sacramento. Then we get to come home and sleep relatively peaceful compared to downtown Sacramento. Less homeless people walking around, fights, bars, etc. Granted your neighbors may have parties with fights etc.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@norules 126536 wrote:

This is just looking at the city and selecting “Learning and Play Opportunities”.

http://www.elkgrovecity.org/city_hall/city_government/calendar

CSD events: http://www.yourcsd.com/384/Special-Events

summer camps at CSD: http://www.yourcsd.com/694/Summer-Camps

CSD activities guide book: http://ca-cosumnescsd.civicplus.com/172/Activity-Guide

You may have to pay for some of these events, but they are out there. We had our kids in the Summer Camps for three years. They really enjoyed it. We have used CSD for several classes for kids and teens.

We went to the parks around Elk Grove and let the kids play out there. We changed it up and went to different parks depending on what the kids wanted to do.

If you want to go to downtown for events, realize we are only 15 minutes from there and we pay less for the homes compared to downtown Sacramento. Then we get to come home and sleep relatively peaceful compared to downtown Sacramento. Less homeless people walking around, fights, bars, etc. Granted your neighbors may have parties with fights etc.

Thank you.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

We’ve been very happy with the class offerings from CSD.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The CSD has lots of events. Most are weekends I think, but in the summer they may have more during the day because the idea is to give kids something to do. I’m not sure Folsom has more for kids to do either.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

This week our kids have been doing a free soccer clinic, in a few weeks my son is going to a free baseball camp. Our parks are top notch including the spray parks. Elk Grove is top shelf for youth sports and our schools are good. CSD is excellent for rec programs. We don’t have a children’s museum or a zoo but few cities our size do and Sacramento is close for those things.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

The Safety Camp the EGPD puts on in the summer is great too!!! My son really liked it and it’s full if great lessons.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

All that stuff sounds great. I’ll just have to wait until my kids get older……

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Roseville had two shootings in 4 days this past week. I wonder what people there are saying.

On another note on our FB page. The lack of comprehension amazes me. I made the statement that anyone who thinks or calls Elk Grove a ghetto is ignorant. They have no concept of what a ghetto is if that is their opinion. That upset a few people. I don’t really care. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

As I’ve said before I’d go to any part of this city at any time with my kids. You don’t do that in the ghetto. Is EG perfect? No, but please it’s not a ghetto or anything close.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 126589 wrote:

As I’ve said before I’d go to any part of this city at any time with my kids. You don’t do that in the ghetto. Is EG perfect? No, but please it’s not a ghetto or anything close.

Off the top of my head, I would say the worst areas in Elk Grove might be the half plexes and duplexes east of Elk Grove-Florin Road not far from Bond and also south of Elk Grove Blvd, in the area behind Old Town Pizza. I would probably not walk through there at night maybe.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I get it that some people are not happy and think things have gone downhill. In some respects I sort of agree. I think a lot of it is perception and that we hear about a lot of this stuff so it seems worse than it is.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 126590 wrote:

Off the top of my head, I would say the worst areas in Elk Grove might be the half plexes and duplexes east of Elk Grove-Florin Road not far from Bond and also south of Elk Grove Blvd, in the area behind Old Town Pizza. I would probably not walk through there at night maybe.

You’re correct. No offense to anyone if they live over in these areas.

Halverson area, Emerald Park drive. Those are the not so greatest areas…

It’s strange though, if you take Emerald Park all the way down to Smedberg Park, (Grouse Meadow) there are some decent older homes. I only know these street names because I used to live way in the back over there. Also, Elk Way, the house look meh, but when you go down and get to Feickert Elementary you have more nice homes.

People think they know ghetto, but they have no idea.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Crime is everywhere. EDH has been getting hit with burglaries left and right, Folsom has their drugs and drunk driving issues. Commercial burglaries are big out there too. Roseville has been having shootings. Plus those cities are not diverse at all. My SIL is the type of person who says “those people” meaning people from Elk Grove. But she is so high up there on her horse, she doesn’t realize how Roseville/Rocklin really is.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I think we’re all agreeing here. If the duplexes in the older part of EG are considered the worst part of town then it’s no ghetto not even remotely.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Honestly that is one of my points in all this. No doubt Roseville, Folsom, EDH, those are all nice places. We went up to EDH for their 4th of July event on July 3 at the Town Center. This was out 5th year in a row. It’s a nice area. I don’t know enough about the area to know if it’s a good place to live. It seems like it is. I don’t know where the shopping is at, or do you have to come down to Folsom, which isn’t far.

I think the biggest benefit of those cities is proximity to some nicer amenities likes shopping and maybe better dining.

Had a little back and forth the past couple of days on the FB page over this. A couple of ladies said crime is increasing and we went back and forth. So this morning I posted the the crime numbers since 2008 for Elk Grove that showed it has declined since then

pcrime1.png

vcrime1.png

Clearly it shows a steady drop until 2013 and then 2014 went up and then back down in 2015. Their contention was it is worse now than it was years ago. If you look at the crime rate, it’s actually lower. So one of the ladies said she was leaving the conversation because I didn’t know how to read a graph. The other left too.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

My dad has a friend who used to live in EDH and now has 3 rental properties out there. We also have a friend who lives in EDH. Yes, very nice area, most of the time they come down to Folsom to shop. I don’t think I could live out there.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Living in EDH and shopping in Folsom is like living in East EG like Doc or myself and shopping along Laguna Blvd. It’s not far and EDH Town Center is right there too.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Around Markofer is a very safe area. We have so many older residents who are nosy and they keep our area safe. I don’t worry at all over here…..and we are very close to the area you say is the worst. I can’t remember the last time a crime happened close to me……

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@kindrlindr 126637 wrote:

Around Markofer is a very safe area. We have so many older residents who are nosy and they keep our area safe. I don’t worry at all over here…..and we are very close to the area you say is the worst. I can’t remember the last time a crime happened close to me……

The condos on Emerald Park and El Mirador aren’t the best but that area is totally fine. If that’s considered the “worst” part of EG then we’re obviously not a ghetto. That’s the point, not trying to disparage that area at all.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

We never said it was the worst. We said that it’s not the greatest.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I believe that is one of the worst in Elk Grove, but as you said, it is still not bad at all. There used to be a lot of crime there, but I think the EGPD has cleaned that up.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@EGL Admin 126587 wrote:

Roseville had two shootings in 4 days this past week. I wonder what people there are saying.

On another note on our FB page. The lack of comprehension amazes me. I made the statement that anyone who thinks or calls Elk Grove a ghetto is ignorant. They have no concept of what a ghetto is if that is their opinion. That upset a few people. I don’t really care. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Here’s the problem. Although I’ll agree with your statement that EG is not a true ghetto, that is the general perception north of the river. It’s all about the reputation of high crime compared to the other new cities and growth areas, excepting Rancho of course. That has a similar reputation, but worse, and for good reason. As someone said previously, there are no truly bad areas in Elk Grove, just some less desirable with higher crime.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@EGL Admin 126600 wrote:

Clearly it shows a steady drop until 2013 and then 2014 went up and then back down in 2015. Their contention was it is worse now than it was years ago. If you look at the crime rate, it’s actually lower. So one of the ladies said she was leaving the conversation because I didn’t know how to read a graph. The other left too.

OK, but that’s relatively meaningless without comparing the same trends with the surrounding areas, such as Sac County, Sac City, Folsom, Roseville, etc. You may well find the same trends there, so then it comes down to which areas are showing the greatest declines. You can already see that the downward slope of EG crime is less consistent with the U.S. and California aggregates. Also remember that big population numbers tend to obscure actual feelings of safety simply because crime is often not lineal in relation to population growth. You can have a murder in Grass Valley for example and have it jump to the highest murder rate per capita in Northern CA for the year. Crime statistics are also not always reported in the same manner between departments. Elk Grove has always been quite transparent in that regard.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 126664 wrote:

OK, but that’s relatively meaningless without comparing the same trends with the surrounding areas, such as Sac County, Sac City, Folsom, Roseville, etc. You may well find the same trends there, so then it comes down to which areas are showing the greatest declines. You can already see that the downward slope of EG crime is less consistent with the U.S. and California aggregates. Also remember that big population numbers tend to obscure actual feelings of safety simply because crime is often not lineal in relation to population growth. You can have a murder in Grass Valley for example and have it jump to the highest murder rate per capita in Northern CA for the year. Crime statistics are also not always reported in the same manner between departments. Elk Grove has always been quite transparent in that regard.

if the crime rate is dropping and people are saying its increasing then I don’t think it’s necessary to compare it to anything but itself. It speaks for itself.

I agree on your other comment about the perception. I’ve heard the same thing. Most of it is ignorance though. Elk Grove was thought of as a cow town.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Unfortunately perception is reality. I know a lot of south placer, El Dorado, and Folsom people and their view of EG is not good.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

One can recite data until you’re blue in the face, but that doesn’t help people feel safe. So much is just that–do you feel safe, secure, able to function without looking over your shoulder. We were in Nashville recently. We’ve always felt safe there. During the 4th there were an extra 300,000 people in town, most of whom were concentrated in a small area downtown. Didn’t see one fight, one argument, no raised voices, everyone so polite, even the drunk college kids in from surrounding states. Yet, Nashville crime is always ranked high. Why is that, the disparity? A good part of it is how much we tolerate from others. Manners are expected from everyone in the South in general, and regardless of race or socioeconomic status, the difference is very evident. Bad manners and acting out are not acceptable there. Here on the left coast we don’t say anything. We put up with it, and the tension becomes internalized. Bad people gonna do bad things, but elsewhere they tend to do them in isolated areas where they aren’t watched and expectations are low. That’s my theory, FWIW.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249
    bainc;126669 wrote:
    unfortunately perception is reality. I know a lot of south placer, el dorado, and folsom people and their view of eg is not good.

x100…..

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

As stated, the perception is that crime is far, far worse in EG than other surrounding place that people actually want to live. The only way to fight that perception is to proactively reduce the crime greater than the crime rate is dropping in those other comparable cities and then stay on top of it. We need far more officers than we have. They need to be visible to everyone and ready to respond. I’ve said before that EGPD does a great job with what they have-but we need more officers. Not a MLS team, a mega water park, or a casino.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 126674 wrote:

As stated, the perception is that crime is far, far worse in EG than other surrounding place that people actually want to live. The only way to fight that perception is to proactively reduce the crime greater than the crime rate is dropping in those other comparable cities and then stay on top of it. We need far more officers than we have. They need to be visible to everyone and ready to respond. I’ve said before that EGPD does a great job with what they have-but we need more officers. Not a MLS team, a mega water park, or a casino.

So we need to go over and above? That won’t change anything. Elk Grove could have zero crime and it wouldn’t change. Elk Grove was a called a cow town, now it’s South Sac. The people saying these things are a bunch of snobs who have no idea what is going on. I don’t think we need “far more” officers. We need more. They are pretty visible and respond pretty quickly. The police budget takes up the majority of the city budget already.

The casino will actually help add more police. It will help pay for the fire station that is needed nearby that the CSD can’t afford to build. Maybe the mall and the casino can help put in a substation there nearby.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We need to residents that live here to look at things rationally and not so much emotionally. Domestic violence is one of the biggest contributors of violent crime. Not sure about any of you but I have zero worries about domestic violence, well unless it involves my mother in law, but I digress. When you eliminate that and then you eliminate illegal activities, that lowers it farther. Home invasion robberies are rarely random and usually there is money or something else involved, as well as illegal activities. Don’t walk to the gas station mini mart or McDonalds at midnight and you have lessened it even more. Don’t have parties at your house and invite hoodlums and hang out in front of the garage and you’ll have less problems. We can look at it rationally or we can worry ourselves over something that will likely not happen to us.

lakesidebull
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 784
    • Total Posts - 807

@bainc 126669 wrote:

Unfortunately perception is reality. I know a lot of south placer, El Dorado, and Folsom people and their view of EG is not good.

As a recent former 15-year resident of Lakeside, most of the negative comments I heard were from Elk Grove residents themselves, and not from those who live elsewhere. Sure, lots of Folsom residents moved up here from Elk Grove, but the main draw for us living here over Elk Grove is having views of foothills visible from our back yard, driving down the Iron Point Road hill and seeing the entire valley below, and having an awesome restaurants and shopping a short drive down the hill.

I remember many of Elk Grove’s own residents frequently speaking about how bad the area had become, how bad it was going to get with it’s close proximity to South Sac, and that all we had to look forward to was more and more mid-income housing, few well-paying jobs, and more crime. The old EGO forum was full of angry, miserable people who loved ringing the bell of doom, and every police action or helicopter flying over was beaten to death with people chiming in on what a toilet Elk Grove had become. Hear such propaganda often enough and even you may decide to head for the hills.

But is Elk Grove a crime-ridden dump? Not even close. The entire time we lived there, we never felt unsafe. About the only time we would close windows or lock the patio door was when we were traveling. We left the place wide open when going to the store or out to dinner. We never used the alarm system on the house and never had a reason to think about installing surveillance cameras. We didn’t have or need dogs or guns and felt completely safe, even though EGO and some residents painted a completely opposite image.

People hear something on social media that strikes a chord with them and they spread the rumor without even doing a simple google search to see if it’s true (damn you Mark Zuckerberg). If you want to change/improve Elk Grove’s image, start by not allowing family and friends or people on social media to make disparaging remarks about your city. Call them on their sh*t! Repeatedly ask for facts and statistics to back up their claims and most will flame out fairly quickly.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Thanks for chiming in LB you Folsom snob. 🙂

I agree. That’s what I’ve been doing on FB is calling people out who make these comments. A few say they can’t wait to leave. Don’t let the screen door hit you on the rear. There’s one lady in particular that has been saying she’s leaving for months and keeps complaining. Then there’s another older lady that I banned from the page because everything was negative. I have way less tolerance on there than here. On FB it’s not about the commenters so if you boot one no one knows. The ones that are constantly complaining, see ya. Go bitch somewhere else.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 126678 wrote:

So we need to go over and above? That won’t change anything. Elk Grove could have zero crime and it wouldn’t change. Elk Grove was a called a cow town, now it’s South Sac. The people saying these things are a bunch of snobs who have no idea what is going on. I don’t think we need “far more” officers. We need more. They are pretty visible and respond pretty quickly. The police budget takes up the majority of the city budget already.

The casino will actually help add more police. It will help pay for the fire station that is needed nearby that the CSD can’t afford to build. Maybe the mall and the casino can help put in a substation there nearby.

Yes, we do need to go over and above. We so need more officers It isn’t simple enough to say don’t go for a walk at midnight and you will be safe. Don’t have a garage party and you will be safe. Do you think those things don’t happen in Rosevloe or Folsom? And yet the assaults don’t happen as frequently. Cow towns aren’t filled with crime. Calling EG a cow town had nothing to do with the crime rate. If you want to attract both higher income residents and more businesses you have to change the perception or EG continue to lose out other cities. Do you think the people promoting Roseville to businesses don’t point out the city’s low crime rate?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

But you’re not going to change the perception at this point. There is no way to bring crime down enough where people will say, “okay now it’s safe”. The crime rate now compares favorably to other cities of it’s size. If people don’t want to look at the statistics and take any precautions, then oh well. Elk Grove can’t change the demographic that it has.

I am going to look further into the data when I get the chance, but it seems to me that most of the domestic violence calls are for non white people of different cultures. I have noticed a lot of names are of east Indian or middle eastern. Possibly different cultures there.

My point about the cowtown was that it was because it was rural. That was one of the negatives years ago. Who wants to move there? It’s a cowtown. I have to disagree with LB that it’s not people from outside the city calling it names. We have friends that live in the other areas and they call it names too. There are a lot of people here as well of course that do that. Then circumstances such as the mall don’t help. Or our Mayor taking on the mayor of Sacramento over soccer and looking silly. People were like, who is Gary Davis and why is he tweeting at Kevin Johnson? Not to mention all these projects over the years that don’t get done. None of those things help of course. I don’t know how it affects businesses wanting to come here. I see comments on FB and people want a Whole Foods. If Whole Foods comes here that would be a mistake. They won’t get support here. They are not cheap and Elk Grove wants cheap stuff. That’s the reality. We support Walmart and Target. People ask for more local restaurants, but they won’t support them. That’s why we get chains.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

The violent crime rate is not favorable compared to Roseville. Not. At. All.
    Do you think that Roseville doesn’t have people of different (non white) cultures and backgrounds? Yet they don’t have the same numbers of domestic violence (your argument)?
    These aren’t crimes happening in EG by non EG residents.

I guess the question is what is it that makes people in EG think committing violent crimes is acceptable but not people in Roseville?

When people go house hunting, you don’t think they look at crime rates? When companies are looking to open offices in other cities, don’t they look at crime rates too?

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@lakesidebull 126681 wrote:

As a recent former 15-year resident of Lakeside, most of the negative comments I heard were from Elk Grove residents themselves, and not from those who live elsewhere. Sure, lots of Folsom residents moved up here from Elk Grove, but the main draw for us living here over Elk Grove is having views of foothills visible from our back yard, driving down the Iron Point Road hill and seeing the entire valley below, and having an awesome restaurants and shopping a short drive down the hill.

I remember many of Elk Grove’s own residents frequently speaking about how bad the area had become, how bad it was going to get with it’s close proximity to South Sac, and that all we had to look forward to was more and more mid-income housing, few well-paying jobs, and more crime. The old EGO forum was full of angry, miserable people who loved ringing the bell of doom, and every police action or helicopter flying over was beaten to death with people chiming in on what a toilet Elk Grove had become. Hear such propaganda often enough and even you may decide to head for the hills.

But is Elk Grove a crime-ridden dump? Not even close. The entire time we lived there, we never felt unsafe. About the only time we would close windows or lock the patio door was when we were traveling. We left the place wide open when going to the store or out to dinner. We never used the alarm system on the house and never had a reason to think about installing surveillance cameras. We didn’t have or need dogs or guns and felt completely safe, even though EGO and some residents painted a completely opposite image.

People hear something on social media that strikes a chord with them and they spread the rumor without even doing a simple google search to see if it’s true (damn you Mark Zuckerberg). If you want to change/improve Elk Grove’s image, start by not allowing family and friends or people on social media to make disparaging remarks about your city. Call them on their sh*t! Repeatedly ask for facts and statistics to back up their claims and most will flame out fairly quickly.

This. 100% this.

For years now I have felt sorry for the people who live here who seem to hate where they live.

On a smaller scale this is what happened with Laguna Creek High School. The rumor hysteria mill doesn’t serve any positive purpose other than to create divides.

Yesterday I drove by that fatal accident on Laguna Blvd directly after it happened. That IS actually something I worry about with young drivers in my house.

The rest of it? Not so much.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Roseville isn’t nearly as diverse as Elk Grove. I don’t think people look at crime rates when they go house hunting. Most people don’t know where to look to find it. Most people don’t know what the hell is going on or take the time to find out, so I doubt most people look into the area that thoroughly. People may choose an area based on what they have heard. I doubt they actually look at the numbers. I’ve never heard a buyer say they looked at the crime numbers. I’ve heard them say school numbers.

Does domestic violence scare you? Doesn’t worry me at all. Random crime is more scary. Two family members fighting doesn’t scare me. If much of the violent crime isn’t random, then why would that worry most people?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

You can’t say for certainty that the majority of the violent crime that occurs here is a result of domestic violence, nor can you say with certainty what percentage of the violent crime or domestic violence that occurs here is a result of “non whites”. You are basing that on anecdotal evidence. I agree that Roseville is less diverse but it certainly isn’t totally white and regardless you can not deny the fact that Roseville has a far lower violent crime rate despite having a large mall and many more shops and restaurants that are a huge regional draw. You have said the mall and casino will bring crime with it-yet Roseville is still lower. Why? How much higher will our go then?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 126690 wrote:

You can’t say for certainty that the majority of the violent crime that occurs here is a result of domestic violence, nor can you say with certainty what percentage of the violent crime or domestic violence that occurs here is a result of “non whites”. You are basing that on anecdotal evidence. I agree that Roseville is less diverse but it certainly isn’t totally white and regardless you can not deny the fact that Roseville has a far lower violent crime rate despite having a large mall and many more shops and restaurants that are a huge regional draw. You have said the mall and casino will bring crime with it-yet Roseville is still lower. Why? How much higher will our go then?

Part of the reason our crime is higher is the proximity to higher crime areas. The EGPD Chief mentioned that domestic violence is the biggest cause of violent crime in Elk Grove. When I get the chance I’ll go back over the past few months and take a look at the numbers from the daily watch.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@EGL Admin 126692 wrote:

Part of the reason our crime is higher is the proximity to higher crime areas. The EGPD Chief mentioned that domestic violence is the biggest cause of violent crime in Elk Grove. When I get the chance I’ll go back over the past few months and take a look at the numbers from the daily watch.

Sure it is, and unless it’s changed since we were more active in EG, the majority of the crime is committed by non-residents, coming from north of the city.

In that regard, Delta Shores could be the development that helps decrease the crime in Elk Grove. I’m really shocked at how the arterials and streets from Meadowview dump right into it. I would not live there for free, and I’ll bet that shopping center becomes as risky as Arden Fair in a short time. The freeway seems to act as a barrier for the Pocket which has always been pretty good. That’s been breached with Delta Shores.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

@lc 126699 wrote:

Sure it is, and unless it’s changed since we were more active in EG, the majority of the crime is committed by non-residents, coming from north of the city.

In that regard, Delta Shores could be the development that helps decrease the crime in Elk Grove. I’m really shocked at how the arterials and streets from Meadowview dump right into it. I would not live there for free, and I’ll bet that shopping center becomes as risky as Arden Fair in a short time. The freeway seems to act as a barrier for the Pocket which has always been pretty good. That’s been breached with Delta Shores.

Those are my thoughts about Delta Shores being so close to Meadowview. I find your point about it being a possible barrier that could decrease crime in EG very interesting. I never thought of it that way.

Why do you think Pocket has been breached with Delta Shores? It is still on the east side of I-5. Pocket is on the West.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@norules 126700 wrote:

Those are my thoughts about Delta Shores being so close to Meadowview. I find your point about it being a possible barrier that could decrease crime in EG very interesting. I never thought of it that way.

Why do you think Pocket has been breached with Delta Shores? It is still on the east side of I-5. Pocket is on the West.

Delta Shores now has an overpass and is on both sides of I-5. Of course, I’m just speculating about the traffic and travel patterns, but I would not bet against it.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 126692 wrote:

But domestic violence would not be from primarily from non residents.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

@lc 126701 wrote:

Delta Shores now has an overpass and is on both sides of I-5. Of course, I’m just speculating about the traffic and travel patterns, but I would not bet against it.

Ahh, I didn’t realize it is on both sides of I-5. When I was driving through the area last week, myself being an ex-forensic scientist, I was wondering if the construction crews were going to find buried bodies…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 126702 wrote:

But domestic violence would not be from primarily from non residents.

True. Does domestic violence worry you personally? Obviously no violence is good but random violence is scarier. I think maybe more of the property type crime may come from non residents. Not sure.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Does Delta Shores cross over the freeway? There’s a park across from it on the north west side of the Cosumnes exit, and a few businesses(I can’t remember what, but I want to say a parks and rec building) on the south west side of that exit. There is some vacant land, but I only see them building on the east side of the 5. Thats our route to get my son to school, but I have to admit I don’t pay too much attention since you couldnt pay me to live there either. I still have a soft spot for the Pocket Area. I lived there for a while…back in the 90s.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Yes, there is a large shopping center planned for the east side, and some housing. And a theater. That should be a choice place. Maybe a show there, then catch a few lanes down on Laguna Blvd. for the full effect.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

The west side of the Cosumnes River exit won’t mess with pocket as the road ends at Freeport. Then as you head north Freeport crosses back under I-5 and is on the east side again. Pocket is still essentially cutoff from Meadowview by the freeway.

I completely agree about all the roads leading from Meadowview to the new Cosumnes River Blvd. 24th street and Detroit Blvd will be extended into DS. There will be some new residential in those areas and there’s a snowballs chance in hell those will stay nice over time.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970
    lc;126711 wrote:
    yes, there is a large shopping center planned for the west side, and some housing. And a theater. That should be a choice place. Maybe a show there, then catch a few lanes down on laguna blvd. For the full effect.

lol

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I take that exit currently to get to my parents. Speed limit is 55 but everyone is going at least 65+. But once everything starts opening up, you will be lucky to go 45 down the street.

So the houses are going to the west of it more closer to Freeport? I thought they where going to be across the street from the shops.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

If I recall the housing in DS is mostly north of Cosumnes River Blvd and to the east away from the freeway.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Predominantly on the east side, but a good grouping of homes west of the freeway too.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I looked at the map of DS again. Wow, I forgot how much HDR and MDR is scattered throughout the development. I wouldn’t touch a house built over there. There’s some LDR north of the golf course on the west side of I-5 but again the west side becomes the east side as you head north on Freeport.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 126704 wrote:

True. Does domestic violence worry you personally? Obviously no violence is good but random violence is scarier. I think maybe more of the property type crime may come from non residents. Not sure.

It all shows up as assault and affects our city. And people that are willing to be violent to a spouse or parent don’t care about being violent to a stranger. It all brings Elk Grove down.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It’s definitely not a good thing no, but I don’t know that it means they are being violent with other people, so I will disagree with you there. Some people are more violent privately.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@newmom 126740 wrote:

It all shows up as assault and affects our city. And people that are willing to be violent to a spouse or parent don’t care about being violent to a stranger. It all brings Elk Grove down.

I don’t agree with the bolded part.

A man and or woman can be violent with family members because they know their limitations with said other family member. (If that makes sense) Most of the time, these domestic disputes are because alcohol was involved.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

The same tendency to drink and become violent exists outside the home too. It’s not limited to specific address or victim. And the point still remains that such actions are iolent assaults that happen far more often in EG than other comparable cities in the area.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Incidents of domestic abuse and violence are not self contained, according to some studies. I would not minimize the impact of domestic violence on the entire community, over time.

Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults. (Strauss, Gelles, and Smith, “Physical Violence in American Families: Risk Factors and Adaptations to Violence” in 8,145 Families. Transaction Publishers 1990)

Children who witness violence at home display emotional and behavioral disturbances as diverse as withdrawal, low self-esteem, nightmares, self-blame and aggression against peers, family members and property. (Peled, Inat, Jaffe, Peter G & Edleson, Jeffery L. (Eds) Ending the Cycle of Violence: Community Responses to Children of Battered Women. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications, 1995.)

Studies have found that men who batter their wives also abuse their children in 70% of cases. Even when children are not directly abused, they suffer as a result of witnessing one parent assault another. Batterers often display an increased interest in their children at the time of separation, as a means of maintaining contact with, and thus control over, their partners.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

“Even when children are not directly abused, they suffer as a result of witnessing one parent assault another. Batterers often display an increased interest in their children at the time of separation, as a means of maintaining contact with, and thus control over, their partners.”

^^^^THIS^^^^IS^^^^SO^^^^TRUE^^^^

ps…thanks for posting the map of the area near Cosumnes. I can see where the homes are now on the west. I had no idea…..its all nothing right now. It’s going to be interesting to see it all “grow”

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

So what’s going on in Roseville/Rocklin these past 24 hours?

Rocklin is the number 2 trending on Facebook about the Homicide, their first one since 2013.

Then the shooting near the freeway this morning that has 65/80 closed down in both directions.

This goes to show you, that no area is exempt from violent crimes….

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@gearshark23 126853 wrote:

So what’s going on in Roseville/Rocklin these past 24 hours?

Rocklin is the number 2 trending on Facebook about the Homicide, their first one since 2013

Then the shooting near the freeway this morning that has 65/80 closed down in both directions.

This goes to show you, that no area is exempt from violent crimes….

You beat me to it. This is the 4th incident in the last two weeks in that area involving a shooting or someone being killed.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

This is different because of the area it was in. Most of the other shootings have been confined to the older Roseville area which has never been very good.Nothing goes on in E. Roseville for the most part, and very little around the mall area or Rocklin. Head scratcher! Why were they shooting, at who, and why the suppressors? White males in their 20s. Nothing adds up yet.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Sounds like Roseville is turning into a ghetto 🙂

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Probably a good time to head for the peace and quiet of Ione 🙂 And no casinos!! No Costco!! Heaven on earth….

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

NO waterparks either….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy