fbpx
Advertisements

CVS to stop selling cigarettes October 1

This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Fionasdad 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think that is great. Hopefully more stores stop selling them. Make them go to some little crappy store to buy their cigarettes. I really dislike smokers. I hate leaving Kings games and stepping into a cloud of smoke because the idiots can’t make it 10 feet out the door before lighting up. I’m glad none of my friends or family smoke.

Yesterday as I was going to pick up the kids I saw a guy leaving with his son, probably 8 or so sitting in the front seat and the dad had his window rolled down smoking a cigarette. Awesome.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cvs-caremark-cigarettes-tobacco-20140205,0,6663810.story#axzz2sS3iYNTh

WASHINGTON — CVS Caremark, the nation’s second-largest drugstore chain, plans to stop selling cigarettes and other tobacco products at its more than 7,600 retail stores by Oct. 1, a landmark decision that would make it the first national pharmacy company to cease tobacco sales.

The move, which the company announced Wednesday, comes after years of pressure from public health advocates and medical providers, who have urged retailers to make tobacco products and advertising less available, particularly to children and teenagers.

It also marks a major turn for one of the country’s biggest healthcare companies, which said it is giving up about $2 billion in annual sales, or about 1.6% of the company’s 2012 revenues.

CVS, which is second only to Walgreen Co. in retail locations, has been steadily increasing its business providing medical care through its pharmacists and a growing number of urgent care clinics at its retail locations.

“As the delivery of healthcare evolves with an emphasis on better health outcomes, reducing chronic disease and controlling costs, CVS Caremark is playing an expanded role in providing care,” Larry J. Merlo, the president and chief executive officer, said in a statement. “Put simply, the sale of tobacco products is inconsistent with our purpose.”

CVS, based in Woonsocket, R.I., also pledged to launch what it called a “robust national smoking cessation program” this spring.

Nationwide, less than 5% of cigarette sales occurred in pharmacies in 2009, according to a study by the Center for Global Tobacco Control. But sales at pharmacies have been increasing, even as overall cigarette sales declined.

Public health advocates hailed the CVS decision, expressing optimism that it could catalyze new efforts to curb tobacco use.

“This is a bold step,” said Dr. Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, president and chief executive officer of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. “CVS is clearly establishing a leadership position in making the country healthier and in building a culture of health.”

Half a century after the ground-breaking U.S. Surgeon General’s report warning of the dangers of smoking, the nation has dramatically cut smoking rates for adults from 42% in 1965 to just 19% in 2011, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But public health advocates have grown concerned that progress has stalled in recent years.

No major retailer has taken steps to limit tobacco sales since Target announced in 1996 that it would stop selling tobacco products.

And though pressure on pharmacies has been growing, Walgreen went to court to try to stop San Francisco from imposing a ban on tobacco sales in pharmacies. The challenge was dismissed by a federal court. Boston has enacted a similar ban.

Public health advocates hope that reducing the number of stores where tobacco products can be sold and advertised will help push smoking rates down even further.

“We need another boost,” said Dr. Richard Wender, chief cancer control officer at the American Cancer Society.

While acknowledging that smokers will be able to go somewhere else to buy cigarettes, Wender and other advocates said making purchases a little more difficult can help tobacco users resist the urge to buy.

“It is a hard habit to break,” said Robin Koval, president and chief executive officer of Legacy, a foundation that is a leading advocate for the prevention of tobacco use. “But if you are standing there in a store … and the ad and the display is there in front of you, you may not be able to resist the urge.”

CVS executives said they hoped the company’s decision would also contribute to the ongoing campaign to make tobacco use socially unacceptable.

“Making cigarettes available in pharmacies in essence ‘renormalizes’ the product by sending the subtle message that it cannot be all that unhealthy if it is available for purchase where medicines are sold,” the company’s chief medical officer, Dr. Troyen Brennan, wrote in a new article in the Journal of the American Medical Assn. The article is co-authored by Dr. Steven Schroeder, director of the Smoking Cessation Leadership Center at UC San Francisco.

In June, Starbucks began prohibiting smokers from lighting up within a 25-foot radius of its stores, attributing the rule to “a sense of responsibility to provide customers with a safe and healthy environment.” The Seattle coffee giant had previously banned smoking inside its cafes.

It is unclear if other pharmacy chains will follow CVS’ lead.

When Target stopped selling tobacco products nearly two decades ago, the company cited low profit margins in part because the high costs of theft and enforcement of age restrictions on sales.

CVS said that the anticipated $2-billion annual sales hit would not change its profit guidance for the year.

The company said it has “identified incremental opportunities that are expected to offset the profitability impact,” but did not specify what they are. CVS reported total revenues of $123 billion in 2012.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cvs-caremark-cigarettes-tobacco-20140205,0,6663810.story#ixzz2sS5Grdf6

mpandgp
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 174
    • Total Posts - 176

I hope this works for CVS. They are trying to promote themselves almost like a healthcare store. so selling tobacco wouldn’t make sense. Business can sell what they choose. If they choose not to contribute to the ill health of their customers, good for them!
    Pretty much anything else they sell you can find at least one redeeming fact. No so for tobacco…

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

CVS stock is down 1.3%, while Rite Aid and Walgreen are up by about the same about. Volume is not strong in any of them, and the market is off a little overall. Jettisoning smokes aren’t going to make a dime’s bit of difference in their bottom line–there’s no money in cigarettes. All three have been trending down recently, practically in lockstep. Just an observation about how the Street can get things wrong.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I hope its an utter failure and they have to go back selling tobacco products. It is not illegal. We do not need any more goveringin. I dont want people in my buisness. Why stop there, there are so many obese people out there ! stop selling soda and snacks. !

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I hope they make it as hard for smokers as they can. They should make them crawl through a rat infested tunnel to buy them. 🙂

I detest smokers. Filthy, nasty habit.

Fionasdad
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 29
    • Total Posts - 29

Good for them, especially if they want to be seen as a “health care provider”.

Now I wonder if they will stop selling alcohol as well…

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Thats kind of rude EGL, so you are saying that about every smoker, even though you have not met every smoker?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Rude? Not really. Smoking is dumb. It’s also gross and it stinks. Anyone who smokes around kids is stupid. There is no redeeming value in it.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

Watch for CVS market share to drop. This is idiotic.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

I doubt their market share in the pharmacy will drop. They should see some sales impact for secondary products people buy along with the tobacco, but I suspect they’ll manage and could turn this into something useful internally.

Some CVS locations are official pharmacies for my HMO, so there is the possibility that there is background conversation going on between big health care corporations that we aren’t hearing.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Cigarette sales are about 1.5% of CVS total sales, and it’s a very low margin product. Now they have POP shelf space for higher margin stuff–like snack foods, jerky, low end electronics. From the media:

CVS said that exiting tobacco retail would not affect its operating profit guidance or earnings per share guidance for 2014, or its company’s five-year financial projections.

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

Good for them but if they are trying to promote themselves almost like a healthcare store then they should stop selling liquor too…..just saying

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Yes it is rude, my mom smokes. Didnt your mom just die? shouldn’t you be more considerate around people who have given you support. I am tired of all the fat people around. DOesnt that sound rude? yes it does. They should stop eating the bad food, hey CVS why dont u stop selling crap food????

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Not following the connection between your mom smoking and my mom recently passing away. My mom never smoked. That you bring it up in this manner in this type of situation says an awful lot about you. I’ll leave it that for now because of the circumstances involved.

Huge difference between junk food and cigarettes. If a person eats junk food it doesn’t directly affect me, except financially when we all have to pay for their health choices. But with cigarettes I have to walk through their cloud of smoke because the idiots are smoking. I have zero sympathy for people who smoke. If they want to quit they can. People do it all the time. Better yet, don’t start.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

You are calling my mom names. if you are associating people you do not know. omg it stands out clearly you are the biggest asshole of all time/

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

As long as they don’t do it where it effects me, people can smoke banana peels for all I care. I do appreciate not having someone smoke around me, because at that point it infringes on my liberty. Same thing with being morbidly obese, do what you want. Just don’t take up half my seat at the game or on a plane.

Now if you ask me my personal opinion about either, you will get a slightly different response. But that’s the difference between me and a lib. If I don’t like something, I don’t try to get it banned.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@violarose 92326 wrote:

You are calling my mom names. if you are associating people you do not know. omg it stands out clearly you are the biggest asshole of all time/

I didn’t call your mom any names. Learn the difference. If I call a cigarette smoker an idiot that isn’t calling your mom an idiot and I didn’t even know your mom smoked. For you to bring up my mom who just passed away into this at all shows what kind of person you really are. As usual I will give you a pass for saying something stupid. Lucky for you I am not an asshole or I would really blow your hair back and you would be in the fetal position mumbling incoherently. I really don’t have the time or the patience to bother with a person like you. So why don’t you take a hike.

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

@violarose 92326 wrote:

Really? Saying smoking is dumb, makes him the biggest ahole of all time? Wow!
    Smoking IS dumb. I can say that as a former idiot smoker. Best thing I ever did was quit.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

I’m just pissed that I’m not in the running for biggest ahole of all time…

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

DL – it’s time to give someone else that title, you can only hold it for so long 😉

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@scarlet 92345 wrote:

DL – it’s time to give someone else that title, you can only hold it for so long 😉

Ha!

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

DL – Don’t worry, you are far and away the biggest a$$hole we all know. You might be slacking a bit lately, but no one doubts your ability to jump right back up there the next time a cop shoots an unarmed teenager. Keep the faith buddy!

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@tomwaltman 92350 wrote:

DL – Don’t worry, you are far and away the biggest a$$hole we all know. You might be slacking a bit lately, but no one doubts your ability to jump right back up there the next time a cop shoots an unarmed teenager. Keep the faith buddy!

Yes, calling out a cop who shoots a kid is a-holish.
    I would ask the resident cop, but she is on permanent vacation with her “medical disability.” 😉

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

top a-hole?
    can only hold it for so long?

ok 8)

I suppose we can set up a thread competition to determine this. Pitbulls on one side and police state issues on the other. 8)

Hmm… maybe hypocrisy vs obesity would work too.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

SEE! Right back on track!

You could start yappin’ about USC having the top recruiting class in the Pac-29. Or about how Pete Carroll is an angel helping underpriviledged youth reach their true potential (through his extensive knowledge of pharmacology)… So many opportunities for you to solidify your stranglehold on the title.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

@doclaguna 92351 wrote:

Yes, calling out a cop who shoots a kid is a-holish.
    I would ask the resident cop, but she is on permanent vacation with her “medical disability.” 😉

Yes, blowing out C4-5 and C5-6 and getting artificial ones sure deserves the quotes around “medical disability”. I tried to stay working and they wouldn’t let me. I fought that fight for over a year. Kind of shitty of you to make a comment like that, but I guess it’s expected.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@sea 92359 wrote:

Yes, blowing out C4-5 and C5-6 and getting artificial ones sure deserves the quotes around “medical disability”. I tried to stay working and they wouldn’t let me. I fought that fight for over a year. Kind of shitty of you to make a comment like that, but I guess it’s expected.

I needed to reclaim the throne as biggest a$$hole in the world.

They have wifi in Cabo or Hawaii or wherever you cripples vacation endlessly?

Seriously, people need to have a better sense of humor about these things.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

Yes I travel as much as I can. So do you. Why do you have an issue with what I do now? I’m retired. My husband works hard. What’s it to you? Your contempt for my previous profession is spilling over to personal insults to me. It’s kind of crappy of you. It’d be nice if you’d knock it off. Thanks.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

My problem is there is too much secondary gain not to work and it’s going to be the end of the US as we know it.
    30 years ago it was about a 40:1 ratio of workers to disabled, now its about 18:1. This rise is almost entirely in Back pain or other musculoskeletal disorders, which is 33.8% now, vs a mere 8% 40 years ago.
    Take it as you will.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Guess my reign was short lived. 🙂

Back to this topic, I don’t care if people smoke. I think it’s very stupid and stand by that. It’s their choice. Stay in your home or car and smoke 20 packs a day, I don’t care. Inhale every bit of it you can. I don’t want to smell it or walk through a cloud of it and I have and will say something. Every time we leave a Kings game I comment about the smoke. I think if businesses don’t want to sell it, that’s fine too. It’s a free market and I hope more decide not to sell it. Make them go to some grungy store and get it and pay a hefty fee for it.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

I am happy CVS is going to stop selling tobacco! Maybe I will go there more often. I wonder how well they check their merchandise. There are signs all around for people to check expiration dates. I used to patronize a gas station that did not sell tobacco, booze or lottery tickets. Those items were against owner’s belief system.

Oh speaking of people disability the state of CA helps people sponge in my opinion. The state of CA considers 7 days a week as a work week. This is for Unemployment, disability and paid family leave. I had to take family leave to care for my husband when he was seriously ill. I received a call today and the rep said ok we will pay you up to 19th. I returned to work on Jan 20. I said but I work 5 days a week why pay me for non working days? The man told me law makers set it up that way. Granted it will be 55% of my pay. My employer is picking up the rest out of vacation time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.