Daesh as a ‘word’ replacement

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  SteveB6509 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Please take a moment to read the following explanation of the term ‘Daesh’. There are some serious folks trying to undermine the legitimacy of ISIL in their own language and we can help IF we understand what they are trying to do. English speakers won’t get it quickly because of how commonplace acronyms are in our language. That isn’t so in Arabic, so please consider the new acronym as a replacement for one we might use. If you want to help these folks fight with what weapons they have, try to remember the points in the attached article and relay them to others as a way to get this to catch on.

Decoding Daesh

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Interesting. I think it will be harder for people to catch onto this now. Most everyone uses ISIS. The president uses ISIL. It’s been ISIS too long to change now for most people.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

John Kerry has used DAESH and much of Europe uses DAESH as well. Having said that, I think it is a difficult change. It’s as if changing the name of the Nazis to Scumbags. It is descriptive and appropriate but it confuses the policy discussion a little.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I agree. I understand the reasoning, but it’s going to confuse people, most of which barely pay attention as it is.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Yah. Makes sense. I’m still going to give it a try for anything I write.

It will be interesting to see if other US-ians catch on to this. It’s getting pushed by quite a few people abroad.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.