fbpx

Did you get a flu shot? If not, why not?

This topic contains 66 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sisterwoman 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

I’m curious about this.

There is a striking article in the Bee today with before and after pictures of a woman in very bad shape from the flu. The article mentions that interesting phenomena where people will make up realities like “I don’t get sick” or listen to their friends or family in the face of so much information from the medical and public health community about the importance of flu shots.

Are we all guilty of that to some extent?

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I did, yesterday, but only because my wife’s building has a whole floor down with the flu. I normally don’t because my experience has been that I often got the flu after a shot. So far so good. If nothing happens then I’ll get them annually.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

We’ve gotten flu shots religiously for the last 15 years or so after my husband got a very bad case of it one year. I sometimes have a 24 hours period where I don’t feel 100% after getting the shot, but (knock on wood) I’ve never gotten the flu since getting the shot. Neither have my kids or husband.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I make my whole family get it because I work with infants and small children. I have only ever had the flu once in my junior year of college. I was fine the night before woke up the next day and it hit my like a ton of bricks. Literally passed out trying to get meds, I was in bed for a week and could barely move

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@newmom 92875 wrote:

We’ve gotten flu shots religiously

Wow, you’re almost there to re-registering :sarcastic

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Every single year…..no excuses!

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@lc 92872 wrote:

I did, yesterday, but only because my wife’s building has a whole floor down with the flu. I normally don’t because my experience has been that I often got the flu after a shot. So far so good. If nothing happens then I’ll get them annually.

More questions:

How many times have you been told or heard from credible sources that the flu shot does not/cannot/will not cause the flu?
    Why doesn’t this help you separate out the common fallacy that you got the flu because of the flu shot?
    Do you know that it takes about two weeks to build immunity after the shot?
    If you end up with the flu this time will you blame the flu shot or yourself for waiting until you thought you were exposed?

I am curious because I know you are a smart man and often into details and data. I also don’t claim to be a good example here. My story is much the same as newmom’s. I think a lot of people misuse the term “flu” right up until they experience the actual influenza. Our family has been vaccinated every year since we learned that difference first hand.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I know quite a few people who misuse the term “flu”, my mom being one of them. No mom you didn’t get the flu for a day or two days, you have a bug, not the flu. You will know when you get the flu.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Honestly, Nurse Joy, I have never read a paragraph about it. I don’t need data to tell me at a minimum I have had reactions to the shots. Maybe it’s not flu, dunno. I’m sure I misuse the term too. A friend was just diagnosed with Scarlet Fever, if you can believe that. With all the bad stuff out there now and as I’m getting older I’ll take a safety precaution over the risk of some discomfort.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

There was a noro-virus outbreak at my father’s senior community in the fall and everyone was quarantined. My father was livid, stating since he got a flu shot he wouldn’t get the virus going around. He is an educated man and was a corpsman in the Navy but he wouldn’t listen that a stomach virus is not the same thing as the flu, and that a flu shot offers no protection against any stomach virus. My mother-in-law insists the she gets the flu from a flu shot too. Sorry, but the day of occasional discomfort is a far cry from what having the flu is like.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I think the whole flu shot business is part of the pharma industry conspiracy. They keep manufacturing bugs to kill… I say, “just say no to drugs.”

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’ve been hit and miss on shots. Just got one on Tuesday. Didn’t get one in 2012. Before that I got one 4-5 years in a row. Don’t think my wife has ever got one. Kids haven’t had one since the big H1N1 scare a few years ago when there was a shortage.

Is the flu when you’re vomiting? I get colds every year. Get sick where I vomit maybe once every 2-3 years. Before kids I probably threw up once in 20 years. In last 10 years probably 4-5 times.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Usually in adults the flu is not vomiting. Here are flu symptoms from the government

“flu symptoms include:

• A 100oF or higher fever or feeling feverish (not everyone with the flu has a fever)
    • A cough and/or sore throat
    • A runny or stuffy nose
    • Headaches and/or body aches
    • Chills
    • Fatigue
    • Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea (most common in children)

The flu and the common cold have similar symptoms. It can be difficult to tell the difference between them. Your health care provider can give you a test within the first few days of your illness to determine whether or not you have the flu.
    In general, the flu is worse than the common cold. Symptoms such as fever, body aches, tiredness, and cough are more common and intense with the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose.”

http://www.flu.gov/symptoms-treatment/symptoms/

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Pfft, that ain’t nothing! πŸ™‚

Of course if you get this serious flu you are dead before the doctor can check and see whether it’s a cold or the flu. Most people who get sick don’t go to the doctor for it unless it lasts a few days. Usually when I get sick and throw up it’s less than a 24 hour thing. I still feel like crap for a day or two later but as long as the vomiting stops it’s not bad. On the plus side though, great way to lose the weight!

I don’t think I have ever had a cough or sore throat when I threw up. Usually it’s just nausea and/or diarrhea or its cough/runny nose/sore throat. The worst is vomiting AND diarrhea at the same time. It forces to make a choice sometimes and that’s not good.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Doc, always keep a trashcan near the potty……..for those special multitasking moments. πŸ˜‰

Colleen
    Participant
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 91
    • Total Posts - 91

I have made my kids get it every year since 2009 when the H1N1 broke out. My friends 5-year old daughter died of H1N1 in 2009. My kids have never had the flu and neither have the hubby and I. I got the flu shot for the first time this year because I spend a lot of time at my youngest kids elementary school and I was getting sneezed/coughed on by all these little kids!

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Three of us had the H1N1 in 2009. I got it in June before the flu season and the shots were out. I had just had a baby and was getting NO sleep and was totally worn down. My 6 week old got it from me, but thankfully he nursed and got some immunities from me and didn’t do too badly with it. Scary as heck though. Then my then 8 yr old got it between doses of the vaccine. That was when you needed two shots to be fully immunized….they ran out of shots and only had the nasal spray. With his asthma they wouldn’t let him do the nasal spray. When he finally got more and he went in for the second shot, they took his temp and it was 101 and they didn’t vaccinate him. That night it was full blown.

We always got the flu shots even before then, but since n1n1 was so new, they didn’t even have the shots ready when we got it. Thank heavens we are strong and healthy. It could have been a really bad year for us…… πŸ™

MooseMom
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 254
    • Total Posts - 353

We get our flu shots EVERY year, as soon as Kaiser has them available. I work in a building with 2300 people, many of whom don’t stay home when they are sick. Both kids are in school, 2 different schools, so 2 different germ pools. Plus, my Mom is 80, and we have young cousins in the family. All told, it is not a choice. The kids do get their choice of the flu mist (sniff it up your nose) or poke, I have to get the poke.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@lc 92882 wrote:

Honestly, Nurse Joy, I have never read a paragraph about it. I don’t need data to tell me at a minimum I have had reactions to the shots. Maybe it’s not flu, dunno. I’m sure I misuse the term too. A friend was just diagnosed with Scarlet Fever, if you can believe that. With all the bad stuff out there now and as I’m getting older I’ll take a safety precaution over the risk of some discomfort.

Sorry, didn’t mean it to sound like an accusation. I think maybe I am recently more immersed in that world so I notice that the information is out there everywhere and people still don’t seem to get it. I also think a lot of people think that getting the flu shot is supposed to mean that you won’t get sick at all. Even with the strains it covers it still doesn’t protect you in that way. Just gives you more of a fighting chance. I’ve got a high risk person in my house now and I work in a high risk environment so I will always get it to help protect those around me as much as to protect myself.

The evil State of CA has everything you’d ever want to know about influenza here.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

I get a flu shot every year. I got Noro virus a few years ago. It was awful. I started getting a flu shot because of at risk family members.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My kids and hubby all got H1N1 when it first came around too. My daughter was 6 and she missed most of her last week of 1st grade. It took a full week to get to my son, who was only 15 months old at the time and had a serious case of RSV just a few months before, but thankfully he recovered very quickly. A full week later my husband came down with it, and he had it the worst of everyone. I had a couple of days where I felt run down, but I’m guessing it was from 3 weeks of caring for sick people. I did make sure to get my H1N1 shot when became available that year. I thought I read somewhere that a lot of flu cases this year that are causing death are H1N1 but I could be mistaken.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

” I thought I read somewhere that a lot of flu cases this year that are causing death are H1N1 but I could be mistaken.”
    No you’re right. That’s what I have read too…

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

Well let me throw my 2 cents in.

1 cent: the standard flu shot has a dead virus in it. If you get a flu from it, call Guinness book and get ready for the zombie apocalypse. If you had a shot reaction you had a shot reaction. You didn’t have the flu.

2nd cent: The season you got the flu shot and then got sick, you might have saw a black cat. You might have ate at Chipolte. The point being you could attribute to 1000 other things your illness. You just chose the shot.

bonus cent: Once you’ve had the flu vs a cold, you’ll respect it. I look for the “pajama sign.” When the patient comes in day 4 of illness in pajamas because it’s the first time they could drag their ass out of bed, it’s usually the flu.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

The predominant strain this year is H1N1 and it’s in this year’s shot.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Getting sick after having the flu shot can be a number of things.

1. An allergic reaction to the egg in which the stuff is incubated. (They still do that?)
    2. An unrelated illness that has excellent timing
    3. A different variant of influenza

It’s hard to know what’s what, but most people will connect the shot with the illness if the timing is too close. It is a very human thing to do as we are always looking for causal connections. We don’t have to get them all correct if a few of them are useful enough to save us. This is one of those situations where statistical knowledge is in conflict with instinct, so on average we will continue with the behavior until instinct changes or we find a powerful mental tool to make it a fair fight.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@doclaguna 92914 wrote:

bonus cent: Once you’ve had the flu vs a cold, you’ll respect it. I look for the “pajama sign.” When the patient comes in day 4 of illness in pajamas because it’s the first time they could drag their ass out of bed, it’s usually the flu.

I think part of is comes from the common phrases ‘touch of the flu’ and ‘stomach flu’. I used to think those meant something until one season when I got the real thing with a high fever, where I puked for a day, and my muscles HURT for a few more days. Nowadays I roll my eyes at people who mislabel their upset tummy or think they would rather face the real virus.

I didn’t get one this year, but only because my doctor was very hesitant about me doing it. He wouldn’t say I must not, but he did point to my medication list and say he wouldn’t suggest it. I could hear the legal dance in his voice, so I smiled and said I wouldn’t. He smiled back.

pepsilvr
    • Topics - 105
    • Replies - 1,278
    • Total Posts - 1,383

Not sure that I have ever had the flu but it is likely. I have had pnumonia , bronchitis, upper respiratory infections,and sinus infections and colds galore. I have hadf weeks of not being able to do more than get my kid to school and home and go to the bathroom. I get the flu shot for my child’s sake she is ptprone to breathing problems when she gets sick. I work with people who carry the worst cooties ever and I mostly get illnesses related to allergies.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

I have never gotten a flu shot. After reading a study of the vaccine’s efficacy in healthy adults where the researchers were NOT able to meet their endpoint of > 35% efficacy, I realized that it probably wasn’t that critical for me to get one.

I’ve had the flu a few times over the course of my life so far. Fortunately, my immune system has been able to fight off the influenza viruses each time I was sick with the flu (presumably different strains of the flu each time). I had an allergic reaction to the MMR vaccine when I was a child, so I always approach new vaccines with caution. If the flu vaccine had better efficacy records, a more lengthy safety profile, or if I was in a high risk group, I would seriously consider getting it though.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Curious if you had a severe reaction to the MMR or a more mild one? My daughter (now almost 11.5) had a reaction to her first MMR vaccine. The doctor said we had a greater chance of winning the lottery than her having the reaction she had. I was concerned when she needed a booster or the second round or whatever (I can’t remember it was so long ago) that she would have another reaction, but fortunately, she was fine. She’s gotten flue shots since she was 4 months old and has never had a reaction from them though.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

We always get our flu shots. I have had high risk people in my household for years and so far the shots have prevented us from getting sick. In the past when we didn’t get our shots my husband would get very sick and develop pneumonia. He had it so bad one year I actually had to take time off work to care for him. Lesson learned. My daughter did get the flu in spite of the shot but it would have been a lot worse had she not been immunized. The Tamiflu helped her recover. My son has been resistant to getting the shots but he decided to this year and its a good thing. He falls in that “young and healthy” group who is getting hit the worst. After this I hope he realizes the importance of it.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@erino 93045 wrote:

I have never gotten a flu shot. After reading a study of the vaccine’s efficacy in healthy adults where the researchers were NOT able to meet their endpoint of > 35% efficacy, I realized that it probably wasn’t that critical for me to get one.

I’ve had the flu a few times over the course of my life so far. Fortunately, my immune system has been able to fight off the influenza viruses each time I was sick with the flu (presumably different strains of the flu each time). I had an allergic reaction to the MMR vaccine when I was a child, so I always approach new vaccines with caution. If the flu vaccine had better efficacy records, a more lengthy safety profile, or if I was in a high risk group, I would seriously consider getting it though.

That 35% efficacy number you threw out is BS. Studies show 1 life is saved for every 4000 vaccinated.
    For comparision we have to screen 2000 women aged 40-50 for 10 YEARS (20,000 mammograms) to save one life.
    Secondly, using your logic of “I’m not going to use something if it’s not 100% effective,” why do you bother with a seat belt? It’s not 100% effective, and you’ve been fortunate so far to not be thrown through the windshield of your car. Also don’t bother using antibiotics, getting a mammogram, or anything else in medicine.

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

My beautiful daughter is an RN and she explained all the facts to me when I first arrived here in 2009. So far this year over 100 + people have died in California from the flu. I have enough going on with my health, I don’t want or need the flu

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Welcome back Sisterwoman.

I’ll probably be getting the shot from now on.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

Well, they do recommend it for all seniors. πŸ™‚

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Uh-huh.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

If you can’t get the flu from a flu shot, which I guess is the case, I don’t see the downside to getting one. They are $30 at Safeway. We got ours at Kaiser free.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

When you all get yours you protect people like me who can’t get one this year.
    It’s called Herd Immunity and 100% efficacy for each person isn’t necessary.

For those of you who did, I am grateful. 8)

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

I tell you there is a push for the government to be able to immunize kids against their will. The libertarian in this struggles with it mightily.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

That is difficult because the parents who choose to create their own vaccine schedule or skip it altogether are potentially hurting not only their kids, but the folks around them who cannot get vaccinated. Do you have a right to do that to other people?

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@joy 93125 wrote:

That is difficult because the parents who choose to create their own vaccine schedule or skip it altogether are potentially hurting not only their kids, but the folks around them who cannot get vaccinated. Do you have a right to do that to other people?

It’s a great ethical question for sure. We can quarantine people against their own will. I had a kid who did not want to take his syphilis treatment. County health was up his butt like you would not believe. Same thing with TB cases…

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Apparently the county wasn’t the first one there..

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@joy 93125 wrote:

Is the flu vaccine on par with other illnesses that are required to be vaccinated against, to say attend school?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 93128 wrote:

Apparently the county wasn’t the first one there..

Up his butt? Maybe.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@doclaguna 93109 wrote:

I tell you there is a push for the government to be able to immunize kids against their will. The libertarian in this struggles with it mightily.

Yah. I’ve thought long and hard on it. I’ve decided against freedom of choice in this case, but feel we must NOT have the government decide what goes on the list of requirements. I would be inclined to rely upon a different group to decide that.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

If a different group decides it then who enforces it?

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Government is the only group authorized to coerce us.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Are you people flippin’ crazy? Compulsory injections? Huxley must be rotating like a Chevy smallblock right now…

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Immigrants have compulsory shots, as they should. Why would we not want compulsory shots for certain highly contagious diseases?

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@tomwaltman 93228 wrote:

Are you people flippin’ crazy? Compulsory injections? Huxley must be rotating like a Chevy smallblock right now…

If we can’t watch them closely, I’ll consider your concern.
    If my son or wife dies of a preventable disease because we don’t have the courage to compel the imbeciles, I’ll probably shoot someone.
    Liberty is a wonderful thing, but our basic emotions trump. If there is a threat of blood running in the streets, we need to be practical about it.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@adiffer 93238 wrote:

If we can’t watch them closely, I’ll consider your concern.
    If my son or wife dies of a preventable disease because we don’t have the courage to compel the imbeciles, I’ll probably shoot someone.
    Liberty is a wonderful thing, but our basic emotions trump. If there is a threat of blood running in the streets, we need to be practical about it.

Stop the presses! So our basic emotions trump liberty? I’ll remember that one.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Try it and you’ll see. If someone screws with your family, how motivated are you going to be to protect the other guy’s freedoms?

Emotional heat drives out our nicer philosophical ideas. That’s what I’m pointing out.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@adiffer 93271 wrote:

Try it and you’ll see. If someone screws with your family, how motivated are you going to be to protect the other guy’s freedoms?

Emotional heat drives out our nicer philosophical ideas. That’s what I’m pointing out.

Wow Al, I never thought of it that way. πŸ™‚

So you’re saying when it involves YOUR family then all bets are off and liberties can be suspended? Some of us see where that might be necessary at times without needing to have personal motivation.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Hmm??

Are you answering from your phone again?

If I’m emotionally conflicted, I’ll need the community to reign me in to protect liberty. This should be obvious.
    I’m not emotionally conflicted at the moment, though, and I’m inclined to support compulsory vaccinations.
    I’ll listen to counter-arguments, but I’m admitting my bias up front.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

It’s a tough one for me. I think most docs would be for mandatory immunizations and a lot of my colleagues discharge patients who won’t immunize their kids.
    I tend to try to reason with people re: immunizations, try to probe where their hesitation comes from, give them the facts, but I don’t discharge kids who are not immunized, I would rather keep them close to me, than send them to some witch doctor.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Makes good sense.

I’m much prefer to apply reason, persuasion, and any other trick in the book short of coercion.

I can’t see where discharging kids does any good unless they are in immediate danger.
    Smacking a kid for the lunacy of their parents should require some mandatory soul searching.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I have no problem at all with vaccinations. My kids get them regularly. I have been vaccinated pretty regularly. Allowing the government free reign to inject the entire populace under the force of law is different from volunteering for the military and being immunized “like it or not.” If you want your kids to attend public school, sure, require vaccinations. If your child contracts some contagious disease, by all means, allow the government to quarantine them. But to force everyone undergo mandatory injections at the sole discretion of the government? F-off. That is between me and my doctor.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Yah. I think the ‘sole discretion’ thing is the issue. That’s why I’m inclined to have some other body be responsible for what goes on the required list. I’m more inclined to trust the doctors for this, but we’d have to make sure those who decided were not in a position to gain from it financially.

We would also have to make sure government could not exempt itself from these vaccinations. Everyone plays or their should be no grant of authority.

Herd immunity is VERY useful and easily comes under the umbrella of protecting public safety. The trick is to divide the power involved and set interests groups against each other.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Our kids got their flu shots yesterday. Our oldest got 3 other shots in preparation for middle school. Both didn’t feel very good today and took naps. When I got mine a few weeks ago I didn’t feel good that day either, but it was no big deal. Felt fine the next day. I don’t think it was a coincidence that we got the shot and didn’t feel good after that. Must be something. I would still get it again and have them get it again. I think I would do it on a Friday for them so they wouldn’t miss any school. If they had school today, we may have got a call to pick them up. My wife is not a fan of the shots and when the boys got sick she said “see!” I said better a few hours of not feeling good than getting really sick.

I think a lot of the “flu” and how people react is the individual. Some people just can’t handle being sick. My brother in law is a big strong dude, but when he gets a cold, he’s down for the count and can’t do anything. Unless I am vomiting, then it doesn’t really keep me down. Growing up that was the only way I missed school and then later in life work, was if I was vomiting. if I just had a cold and didn’t feel good, I still went to work. Don’t think my dad would have appreciated me staying home for a cold. I just did the essentials and then took a nap. Working on the farm you didn’t miss work unless you were throwing up or something was broken or really hurt. πŸ™‚

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

I think a lot of people think that way until they get the actual flu. It’s not a cold. That’s not to say a lot of people aren’t wusses though.

I used to time our family’s flu shots around activities and the weekend for the same reason – “just in case.” Once my time got a lot more limited that went out the window and we got in there for the shot when we could. Interestingly, once I stopped worrying about it (or actually just was too busy to worry about it), I stopped noticing any effects after the shots. Funny how that works.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@joy 93752 wrote:

I think a lot of people think that way until they get the actual flu. It’s not a cold. That’s not to say a lot of people aren’t wusses though.

I used to time our family’s flu shots around activities and the weekend for the same reason – “just in case.” Once my time got a lot more limited that went out the window and we got in there for the shot when we could. Interestingly, once I stopped worrying about it (or actually just was too busy to worry about it), I stopped noticing any effects after the shots. Funny how that works.

According to the criteria it sounds like not too many actually get the “flu” since you have to have it a few days for it to be the flu. I don’t recall ever being in bed for more than a day. I’ve had all the symptoms, chills, fever, headaches, not feeling well, vomiting etc that Newmom listed. Either I have never had it in 50 years or I have and I’m just not a wuss. πŸ˜‰ When I get sick, for that 24+ hours I want to die. It’s all I can do to get out of bed to go to the bathroom and that’s it.

So you didn’t notice any effects on you or on your family when you got busier? πŸ™‚ The latter would make sense if you weren’t home then they would just deal with it. I think if you are busy doing something then you just push through it. If you’re at home it’s easier to just be lazy and not do anything when you don’t feel 100%.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Influenza comes in many varieties. Some kick your ass hard enough to kill the young and old and some don’t. The ones that don’t tend to propagate more because idiots think they can go into work or send their kids to school and stuff like that. Of course they CAN manage to keep going, but the rest of us catch the damn thing as a result.

If you feel bad the same day you get the shot, it is most likely a mild allergic reaction to something in the shot. You haven’t caught influenza. If you feel better the next day that is more than enough proof of the allergy response. Suck it up as that response is far, far better than catching the real virus.

The reason it is possible to ‘not notice’ is pretty simple. If you are actively engaged in something you enjoy doing, mild allergic responses often go by without you giving any attention to them. I used to get mildly congested after eating french fries and only noticed it occasionally. Many years later and about a billion fries later, I decided to pay attention to the details. Sure enough, I react to potatoes a little, but not enough to matter much. I react to milk in certain forms too, but not too bad. Big whoop. Life goes on.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I had no ill effects from the flu shot this year and neither did my daughter or husband. My son was very tired for a day and had a very low fever (all the day after he got the shot) but was fine the next day after a good night’s sleep. I figure if babies can feel achy for a day or two after a shot, while not kids and sometimes adults? The immune response is the same, no matter what your age. I do try and make sure to not schedule flu shots around important events though, because I don’t want that day of achy feeling to happen during something important, like my daughter’s cheerleading competitions, which are always the end of October and in November. She knows she is better off getting the shots each year but isn’t happy getting them, and I figure if a shot interferes with something important to her she is going to put up a bigger fight the next year.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I get so irritated with parents who send their kids sick or don’t wait 24 hrs after vomiting or a fever. My 4 year old has a very minor fever this week one day(it wasn’t even 100) and was tired and I kept him home 24 hrs just because some people don’t have the same immunity that others do. It could get someone really sick.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

What is the incubation period? Is it possible that kids who get sick are spreading it before they even get it? If Johnny comes home from school today because he doesn’t feel good, could he get other kids yesterday? When our kids get sick, it always takes a few days for the other one to get it. This past year our youngest came home from school early because he felt sick on a Monday. Our oldest didn’t get it until Friday and we kept him home on Friday as well as his brother. Then Friday night had to take them to urgent care because they both had fevers and our youngest spiked to 103. He ended up with an ear infection. Our other son just a slight temp. We kept him home again on Monday and took him to the doctor and then he had a mild case of pneumonia.

Our whole family got sick because my sister in law and her family came over on thanksgiving and he son who is in high school was coughing all over the place., the whole time. I was so mad. After they left we wiped everything down. The next day she took him to the ER and he had pneumonia. She didn’t want to miss thanksgiving so they brought him. It wasn’t a little cough. He was coughing the whole time all over the house.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I think the incubation period is different for everyone and what is going on with their immune system at the time. And I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I’ve been told several times that, by the time you actually feel sick with something like a cold or the flu, you’ve already been contagious for several days and spreading it around. By staying home and limiting contact you are trying to discontinue the spread.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That’s what I thought too. So if that’s the case it’s just as likely you got the bug from someone before they knew they were sick.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

That is a possibility. It is still a good idea to limit the spread once you DO know as that reduces the number of people who don’t know and are still able to spread it around.

Both bugs I’ve had since I went on medication have arrived in my household through my son from school. Very annoying.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I know plenty of moms out there win EG who say their kids have thrown up, but then they make some excuse and take them to their class, or school within hours. NOT cool!! It’s bad enough when its a cold, but throwing up spreads like wildfire and not everyone recovers as quickly as your little angel might. KEEP them home!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.