Dinner at Ruth’s Chris steak house

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Last night we had dinner out and I ordered the Rib Eye with my wife opting for the fillet… OMG.. they were to die for.. yeah.. very expensive.. but damn were they good! Mashed potatoes, Caesar’s Salad and asparagus. Started off with a hot baguette and butter.. soooo good.

A bit of a celebration…. and worth it.. I like them so much better than Morton’s…

Who is your favorite steak house?

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Really. A report like this could not have come the Roseville store, unless they had an “off night” and actually produced something better than Sizzler. The last time we were there that’s exactly what I told the manager, and he looked at my steak and agreed–absolutely no marbling. Three times in a row there; I’m done. I was telling a foodie friend in Portland about my experience, and he said the stores up there aren’t any better, and haven’t been for at least five years. The Pavillions store in my experience (happy hour only) is far superior, and every app we’ve had there is first rate, but I’ve never had a steak dinner there. As to Morton’s, I’ve found it to be marginally better, but with sous vide I can do as well or better as Morton’s now for a fraction of the price, so I opt for other venues for nicer meals now, unless steak is the request.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

About eight years ago, we went to David Burke’s Steakhouse in Chicago. That was the best steak we ever had, everything has paled in comparison. Well, Boulevard Bistro had a great steak that I ordered once. Not sure if Boulevard Bistro still has steak on their menu…

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

We’re a big fan of Buckhorn Steakhouse in Woodland. That’s the best we have had locally.

Further afield, I went to the Lolo Creek Steakhouse in Lolo ,Mt (near Missoula) a couple of weeks ago (went twice in 4 days). I had the filet done rare and could almost cut it with my fork. So tender.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I can count on one hand the people who have actually eaten in Chicago who didn’t end up getting their best steak ever there. This is our favorite–Rosebud. Cost is about the same as one of the franchises and far, far superior in every way. http://www.opentable.com/rosebud-steakhouse

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We ate at Rosebud a few years ago. When we were in Seattle we ate a very good steak house. Very expensive, but very good. Don’t recall the name right now. We’ve eaten at Ruth Chris a handful of times. It was pretty good. You start getting into that $40+ range for an entree and that gets past my point of enjoyment.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I love fancy dining, so we do go out, but then I promptly forget where we went. I just like the food.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

I went to Harry Caray’s place in Chicago – an excellent steak. More than anything else, I went there because I was with a colleague from Japan who is a BIG sports fan (he routinely names Kings players from the 80’s!).

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@lc 125814 wrote:

Really. A report like this could not have come the Roseville store, unless they had an “off night” and actually produced something better than Sizzler. The last time we were there that’s exactly what I told the manager, and he looked at my steak and agreed–absolutely no marbling. Three times in a row there; I’m done. I was telling a foodie friend in Portland about my experience, and he said the stores up there aren’t any better, and haven’t been for at least five years. The Pavillions store in my experience (happy hour only) is far superior, and every app we’ve had there is first rate, but I’ve never had a steak dinner there. As to Morton’s, I’ve found it to be marginally better, but with sous vide I can do as well or better as Morton’s now for a fraction of the price, so I opt for other venues for nicer meals now, unless steak is the request.

LC, I agree about the Roseville location. We were at the one in the Pavillions. The marbling on my steak was just right. Without the marbling, no flavor.. no great taste.. This one was awesome.
    The price of the sides it just super nuts. $10 for a potato or a few spears of asparagus is a bit ridiculous, but the meal was overall very nice.

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

The last memorable steak I had at a restaurant was when I was in St Louis on business and I went to Tucker’s Place. Never been to Ruth Chris. We buy thick cut rib eyes from Costco and my husband makes them perfect.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I love steak. Love, love, love. I agree that Ruth’s Chris is better than the Morton’s in town. I do have a problem paying that much for a steak when we go out though.

Yes, Boulevard Bistro does have the Filet on it’s menu, if that’s the cut you had. They change the sauce and sides on it, but it’s always on the menu.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We went to the Sheldon Inn last night and had the rib eye. That was really good.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

All these places are way outside of my budget. Someday they won’t but for now a dinner out with my honey is BJ’s, Jack’s, Chicago Fire, or something modest in mid-town like Ernesto’s. Our last time out was New Years Eve when we are at the Sushi House Buffet. #highrollers

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

The recession hurt the high end chain steakhouses in more ways than one. Besides being quite expensive, the sales of USDA Prime beef plummeted nationwide, and they started showing up at Costco and even some conventional supermarkets on occasion, as the packing houses couldn’t sell enough of them to restaurants. Previously it was hard to find Prime steaks in many areas, but now you can do your own, and if you have the right equipment and follow any number of procedures on the Internet, you can create a finished steak as good as Morton’s or Ruth’s Chris.

What you can’t safely do at home without expensive equipment is dry age beef. It takes a special low humidity cooler and it has to be tended to almost daily. Do it yourself only understanding the risk of contracting botulism is highly elevated. I won’t do it more than about 10 days, and I’ve found that wet aging for 10 days to two weeks doesn’t taste any different, is fairly safe, so that’s what I do now. Ruth’s Chris only wet ages now, and I think Morton’s has gone to that too. Wet aging does enhance flavor, but not texture. A good dry aged steak from a top steakhouse is worth the $45-$60 you pay for it–otherwise, no, especially when a spud side is $10.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@bainc 125875 wrote:

All these places are way outside of my budget. Someday they won’t but for now a dinner out with my honey is BJ’s, Jack’s, Chicago Fire, or something modest in mid-town like Ernesto’s. Our last time out was New Years Eve when we are at the Sushi House Buffet. #highrollers

Hey, we have all been there. I have been to high end places more for business dinners than personal. I remember one dinner was at Morton’s, and I was weeks away from giving birth so I could barely eat anything. They were pouring very expensive wine and I couldn’t have any of that either….but I was SO upset because they took everyone’s plates back to the kitchen to wrap up leftovers, and I wondered how they were going to keep the plates separate because out group had over 100 people. Well sure enough, they bring me “my” leftovers and they were not mine-like I said-I had barely touched my food, and the steak they tried to give me was over 50% eaten. By then they didn’t know who’s food was who’s. The manager called later to follow up and apologize, and he did offer us a free meal, but I declined as other than that mix-up, the service and evening was great, and mistakes happen anywhere.

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

I’m craving a steak now lol

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I can eat steak out. I don’t mind paying. oh my god, I now need steak. like everybody put on a dress, oh wait not you boy, get a tie on, we need steak 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.