fbpx
Advertisements

Do you think stores should be open Thanksgiving Day?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Or should they all be closed to allow employees and customers to be be home with their families? I know for customers it is a choice to go or not. Not so much for employees. I think it’s ridiculous that we keep moving it up earlier and earlier. Used to be early morning like 4 or 5 am, then it was midnight. Now it’s 6 pm for some places. Is it necessary?

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

I think businesses need to do what’s best for their employees and customers. It’s none of my business one way or another, unless I’m one of those customers…

…which I am not.

Some fine folks don’t mind working double time on a holiday.

ActionEmotion
      • Topics - 130
      • Replies - 1,822
      • Total Posts - 1,952

Should? I don’t care. Let the free market decide.

egdad
      Participant
      • Topics - 3
      • Replies - 384
      • Total Posts - 387

They will stay open as long as people flock to them on a holiday. Stay home!

EGdonald
      Participant
      • Topics - 1
      • Replies - 176
      • Total Posts - 177

@egdad 119992 wrote:

Agree here!

question of “should” is subjective šŸ˜›
      1. based on morale – no
      2. based on profit/business models – yes
      3. based on society – yes and no
      4. based on tradition – no

I am also on the fence on this one.
      as wildoates mentioned, some people actually enjoy the x2 overtime pay (assuming they have it).
      On the other side, it does deaden the intention of the TG holiday, however transformed and re-defined it is now, by dragging families away from each other and having them either 1. work, or 2. participate in the frenzy that “black friday” has evolved into these days.

As I wandered through WalMart Bruceville 2014 Black “Thursday”, I asked a worker who tended the lines and havoc if they mind working 8pm on TG night – they said she was indifferent. Of course, I know 1 Walmart worker does not speak for all workers, but just 1 opinion of a worker.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@egdad 119992 wrote:

That is the main thing. As long as people get in line for deals that they could get later in the season, then this will keep moving earlier and earlier. Personally I don’t care and don’t shop Black Friday at all. I think I went one time to Best Buy to get a TV. They were of course out of the ones everyone wanted and I got a smaller one for a decent price.

newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

I don’t shop Black Friday. There is nothing I want badly enough that I would get up that early or wait in line that long for. Do I care if other people do it? No. Do I care if stores are open? No. If people don’t like working Black Friday, they can learn additional skills to get a job elsewhere. When I was in high school I worked at a show store in a mall. We made commission, and the day after Thanksgiving until the day after Christmas was great for us. We’d make more in a week than we did in a month other times of the year.

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

Nope, they should be closed. Forget Black Friday. Do cyber Monday, use ebates and stay in your PJs while doing it.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

The girls like going out around midnight on Thanksgiving for some reason. I’ve been in the Walmart line once and it was kind of fun. I don’t mind if that’s what people like. Over it. Shop online mostly. I like what REI is doing this year.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

Each business should decide, I don’t want government to regulate that.

If I owned a business, I would be closed.

I also don’t shop Black Friday. Mostly because I don’t like crowds and I think it’s all hype.

violarose
      • Topics - 106
      • Replies - 2,959
      • Total Posts - 3,065

I won’t be shopping on Thanksgiving. I have always enjoyed the madness of Black Friday, they kind of ruined it with all these different times of stores openings. I plan on running in the Elk Grove Turkey Trot, and then share cooking duties making the feast. I will be too tired to do it physically. Cyber Monday sounds more appealing now.

MrsKaysSweetTreats
      • Topics - 20
      • Replies - 108
      • Total Posts - 128

We actually debated this topic for our store. We decided that since we are a family owned, small business- we will be closed. And the day after as well. Our staff works hard and they deserve the break. Not sure if this would fit in my business model or what my business advisor would say, but family is important. And I have not had one complaint from any of our customers that we will be closed.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

Grocery stores, churches and gyms SHOULD be opened. I don’t care if anything else is. lol

I remember one year we ran out of diapers (a stomach bug had hit and wiped them all out!) on Thanksgiving and were literally scrambling to find a place that was opened to get some.

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

Whilst shopping at Bel Air on EGBl yesterday, the young lady who was packing our groceries said that she was very happy to be working today for holiday pay.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Some people like it. My wife used to work some holidays when she worked at Albertsons. Sunday’s were time and a half too.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

Girls are out now, in Roseville. They were pouring over ads before dinner. I’m cleaning up after dinner, could not be happier. They said most stores close around midnight. If it’s fun and they like it, cool for them. Not my thing. I will pay more on the Internet not to screw with radid shoppers.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

I saw a report on NBC news about Black Friday TV sales and they basically said the TV’s are not as good. They called them “derivatives”. They are made cheaper and have less amenities. They only make them to sell one day. They said the best deals for TV’s are before the Super Bowl

violarose
      • Topics - 106
      • Replies - 2,959
      • Total Posts - 3,065

We didnt go out. I had no desire to shop on Thanksgiving. Doing the run in the morning and seeing friends there was much more fulfilling than anything I could get at a store yesterday. But I remember when I got excited for shopping in the past, so if people want to go out, go for it. but its just not for me.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

@EGL Admin 120350 wrote:

I saw a report on NBC news about Black Friday TV sales and they basically said the TV’s are not as good. They called them “derivatives”. They are made cheaper and have less amenities. They only make them to sell one day. They said the best deals for TV’s are before the Super Bowl

Didn’t know that, interesting. So far, first reports are that sales were lower than expected nationally. The videos of the fights are great!

joy
      Participant
      • Topics - 99
      • Replies - 3,934
      • Total Posts - 4,033

I’ve enjoyed the commercials making fun of the frenzy this year. There’s a car commercial where a guy is unloading stuff from his car and has a big shiner.

SteveB6509
      Participant
      • Topics - 36
      • Replies - 1,460
      • Total Posts - 1,496

Here’s an interesting twist. I was speaking with a relative who works at one of the major stores at the Galleria (a major store is one that has it’s own entrance to the store from the parking lot). Westfield considers those store to own entrances to the mall (since customers can get into the mall through their store).

Westfield decided the official opening for the Galleria would be 6 PM Thursday. The store where my relative works decided not to open until 6 AM Friday morning. They are being fined by Westfield for not being open while the mall is officially open.

newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

Steve I read about that happening at a lot of malls. It’s typical for malls to have schedules the stores have to keep and be open at, but with malls deciding to be open late Thursday and earlier Friday they are forcing stores to pay fines or open up and pay holiday pay to employees. Sometimes those fines can be for every minute they aren’t open “on time” and can really add up, but so can holiday pay.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

When the girls said Nordstrom was closed last night, along with a few others, that’s the first thing that came to mind–the mall hours. The fines are usually based on a percentage of sales for the period closed. Depends on their operating agreement, Nordstrom may have had TG/Christmas listed as a permitted closed day, or they may just opt to pay the fine.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

That’s crazy that the mall is fining stores for not being open. It’s going to eventually get to the point of they will be open as if it’s a regular day. Some stores were opening at 3 pm on Thanksgiving.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@LC 120353 wrote:

Didn’t know that, interesting. So far, first reports are that sales were lower than expected nationally. The videos of the fights are great!

They may have one less USB or HDMI port. Made with inferior products. They said to check the serial number of the TV and google it. If the only thing you find is a black Friday sale, then that means that it’s a derivative. That’s why stores “sell out” of them. They only make a limited number.

Viewing 24 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.