fbpx
Advertisements

E-Tran at it again

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ehmygirl 3 years ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #176706

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    Sponsored by: wp0d660ebf_06.png AND 1445899621.png

    So if anyone takes E-tran to Downtown, are you having issues? Such as buses coming late or not coming at all? Did anyone know they’re holding meetings again about the light rail situation? How about their Rider Alerts, are you getting any of those and if you’re getting them is it after the fact?

    I’m going to be sending an email, if anyone has any information or would like me to include anything please send it to me in a PM or post it here.

    /rant

  • #288458

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    They had a transit meeting last Thursday after the Elk Grove Free RT day. I caught part of it on Periscope. Someone from the City of EG was recording it. From what the guy who is the head of MV transportation said, I guess they have had issues with drivers leaving. They train them and then they go to other agencies. He said they are working on that. Someone asked him if this is a ploy to get people to take light rail and the City and this guy said no it’s not.

    I would contact
    Jean Foletta
    Transit System Manager
    jfoletta@elkgrovecity.org

    City of Elk Grove
    8401 Laguna Palms Way
    Elk Grove, CA 95758

    916.687-3030 (office)
    916.691.3173 (fax)

  • #288467

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    @EGL Admin 119504 wrote:

    They had a transit meeting last Thursday after the Elk Grove Free RT day. I caught part of it on Periscope. Someone from the City of EG was recording it. From what the guy who is the head of MV transportation said, I guess they have had issues with drivers leaving. They train them and then they go to other agencies. He said they are working on that. Someone asked him if this is a ploy to get people to take light rail and the City and this guy said no it’s not.

    I would contact
    Jean Foletta
    Transit System Manager
    jfoletta@elkgrovecity.org

    City of Elk Grove
    8401 Laguna Palms Way
    Elk Grove, CA 95758

    916.687-3030 (office)
    916.691.3173 (fax)

    I was just going to message you to see if you heard/went to that meeting. Thanks for posting about it. Everyone who rides the bus feels that’s what they’re trying to do. Some riders emailed transit and they said that it’s mechanical issues.

  • #288475

    Bainc
    Member
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

    Talked to my FIL. He tried to take the 59 yesterday. It never showed up. He’s pretty much done with the bus and is driving from now on, not taking LR. Too darn slow.

  • #288468

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    I’ve thought about driving, but I don’t want to deal with parking.

  • #288466

    wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

    It’s not a ploy, of course not. Neither is ACA.

  • #288478

    Aggies49
    Member
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

    I went to the meeting. Hardly anyone showed up.

    http://www.elkgrovenews.net/2015/11/elk-grove-city-council-etran-cuts.html

  • #288481

    ehmygirl
    Member
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 18

    Thank god I’ve a car, I really hate public transportation.

  • #288459

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    @aggies49 119526 wrote:

    I went to the meeting. Hardly anyone showed up.

    http://www.elkgrovenews.net/2015/11/elk-grove-city-council-etran-cuts.html

    Have to love the EG news writer saying this could have repercussions at the ballot box. I have news for E Tran riders, it won’t matter. Not enough of them will vote to make a difference. Most people in the city don’t use E Tran and don’t care about it. My first thought when this all came up was, of course route everyone to light rail. That’s the point of it and the most cost efficient way. I hope the city can keep E Tran but I don’t know how much taxpayers are obligated to pay for people to get to work. I think riders need to pay a little more since some are getting a subsidy from the state.

  • #288464

    kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

    I would love nothing better than to send my son to school on the bus that picks up right at our corner…..he would have to get on the light rail at Cosumnes and then catch the bus again after he got closer to school. This commute is taking me 2 hours daily, but if he did the bus, it would take him 4 hours! If there was a faster way with less transfers, I would send him on public transportation. The freeways are getting awful these days. People are completely incapable of driving safely.

  • #288469

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    Taxpayers pay for all types of stupid stuff.

  • #288462

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    @ehmygirl 119527 wrote:

    Thank god I’ve a car, I really hate public transportation.

    I have lived in Sacramento for over 40 years now, and have yet to set foot on any local public transportation. I hate it. It’s great in Europe or in the northeast, not here. I do take Amtrak into the city sometimes, mainly because I love the train and it’s a beautiful trip and you don’t have to mess with parking.

  • #288476

    Bainc
    Member
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

    Public transit in Sacramento is very poor. Does that mean it should be eliminated? Maybe a better alternative is to make an investment in public transit. I’ve heard so many times “I would take public transit but it would take me 2 hours when I can drive in 30 min.” Or “public transit is great in NY, DC, SF, and all over Europe.” “I’d ride my bike but it’s not safe.”

    Our population is aging and won’t be able to drive forever. Sure would be nice to live with dignity and the freedom to get around in my elderly years.

  • #288460

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    @bainc 119575 wrote:

    Public transit in Sacramento is very poor. Does that mean it should be eliminated? Maybe a better alternative is to make an investment in public transit. I’ve heard so many times “I would take public transit but it would take me 2 hours when I can drive in 30 min.” Or “public transit is great in NY, DC, SF, and all over Europe.” “I’d ride my bike but it’s not safe.”

    Our population is aging and won’t be able to drive forever. Sure would be nice to live with dignity and the freedom to get around in my elderly years.

    Maybe each person gets their own bus? 🙂

    I am not sure what people expect. Do they expect to get there in the same time as they could in a car? That’s not going to happen. Only way it gets better is if the traffic is so bad that you can’t take a car, but even that won’t work. In New York, you take the Subway or a taxi. You don’t drive. Here? not the same. There’s 160K people in Elk Grove, how many use E Tran and light rail? I heard 3000, but I don’t know if that is 1500 each way or 3000 different people. Let’s be generous and say it’s 3000. Probably 95% of those are able bodied people who can drive and choose not to either because of traffic, parking or some other reason, most of which is that it benefits them financially in some manner not to drive. Less wear and tear on their car, gas etc. Not to be an ass, but if it takes 30-60 minutes longer to get some place, then that’s just too bad. That’s what it is. Public transit is already being subsidized. Elk Grove I believe is a 75% subsidy. Have the people who use it pay more. Otherwise shut it all down and save a lot of money.

  • #288470

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    I’ve said from the start, to up the price. Either pay more, drive or take light rail.

  • #288477

    COEG Public Affairs
    Member
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 4
    • Total Posts - 5

    Sponsored by: wp0d660ebf_06.png AND 1445899621.png

    This response is being posted on behalf of our Transit Manager, Jean Foletta.

    Thank you for your comments on the e-tran service.

    As the City’s Transit Manager I would like to sincerely apologize for the transit service you have experienced over the last few weeks. We are working closely with our contractor MV Transportation to resolve these service challenges as quickly as possible.

    The recent service problems are a result of a driver shortage and drivers calling off work. MV Transportation is working to resolve this shortage through an aggressive recruitment and driver training program. Our hope is that you will see gradual improvement within the next 2-3 weeks.

    MV’s new strategy of hiring and conducting multiple new driver classes will help expedite the time it would normally take to proficiently train a new bus operator. MV has also acquired the services of a third party to help supplement our new driver training, which will further shorten the training time and increase the level of attention each trainee receives.

    Despite some who may believe otherwise, I can assure you that these issues are not the result of any calculated strategy to drive passengers to RT’s Light Rail.

    I have included a link below to a page on the City’s website with information on the Comprehensive Transit Analysis including the next public meeting on December 10.

    http://www.elkgrovecity.org/city_hall/departments_divisions/transit_e-tran/comprehensive_transit_analysis/

    In the interim please feel free to contact me directly at jfoletta@elkgrovecity.org or 916-687-3030.

    Thank you for your patience- Jean

    Jean Foletta
    Transit System Manager

    City of Elk Grove
    8401 Laguna Palms Way
    Elk Grove, CA 95758

    916.687-3030 (office)
    916.691.3173 (fax)

    http://www.elkgrovecity.org

  • #288463

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    @EGL Admin 119577 wrote:

    Maybe each person gets their own bus? 🙂

    There’s 160K people in Elk Grove, how many use E Tran and light rail? I heard 3000, but I don’t know if that is 1500 each way or 3000 different people. Let’s be generous and say it’s 3000.

    I think that’s pretty close, maybe a little light. I think in EG it’s been a 3% ridership for the last 10-12 years.

    It was thoughtful of the City to respond. I’m glad they are keeping tabs on the chatter.

  • #288461

    adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

    @lc 119567 wrote:

    I have lived in Sacramento for over 40 years now, and have yet to set foot on any local public transportation. I hate it. It’s great in Europe or in the northeast, not here. I do take Amtrak into the city sometimes, mainly because I love the train and it’s a beautiful trip and you don’t have to mess with parking.

    I ditched my car in ’85 while I was a student and either walked or used a combination of Yolo and Sac-area public transit until ’96. It wasn’t that bad.

    Yah, yah. 20 years ago. It worked for what I could afford, though, and kept me working. I wouldn’t knock it. 8)

  • #288479

    Aggies49
    Member
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

    @gearshark23 119583 wrote:

    I’ve said from the start, to up the price. Either pay more, drive or take light rail.

    That is exactly what I suggested at the meeting. I don’t mind paying a reasonable fare increase to continue enjoying E-Tran as is. I would still save money on gas, parking, wear and tear. I wouldn’t mind seeing some of that fare increase to maybe go towards incentives to make the bus drivers want to stay as opposed to jumping ship. That would reduce the driver shortage issues.

  • #288471

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    Glad they responded. I will share with some riders on the pM bus or on Monday in the morning.

  • #288472

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    A year later and there back again. I’ll think the newest report tonight. From looking on my phone it looks like they want to reduce the routes down to 9 then take the 53 away from I-5 and have it go 99.

  • #288473

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    Link not think.

  • #288480

    Aggies49
    Member
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

    @gearshark23 128079 wrote:

    A year later and there back again. I’ll think the newest report tonight. From looking on my phone it looks like they want to reduce the routes down to 9 then take the 53 away from I-5 and have it go 99.

    They are revamping the whole system to make shorter route times from start of route to getting on the freeway downtown. I attended a workshop and I thought the plan makes sense and is feasible. It seemed like the consultants included a lot of the feedback riders gave. Obviously not everyone will be happy, but it is way better than being herded to light rail

  • #288474

    gearshark23
    Member
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

    I’m going to read the report that’s online and see what it’s all about.

  • #288465

    kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

    Lightrail avoids the traffic though…its faster than sitting on the freeways and stoplights. My son uses bus and light rail to get home from school. Let me tell you though, those darn bus drivers need to stop ignoring their times. They have left him stranded more times than I can count because they come early! Grrrr.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.