Elk Grove city council chooses to appoint to fill vacancy

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SteveB6509 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Elk Grove Laguna Forums
    Keymaster
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 9
    • Total Posts - 12

New Elk Grove Mayor sworn in, City Council chooses to fill vacancy by appointment
    New Elk Grove Mayor sworn in, City Council chooses to fill vacancy by appointment
    Steve Ly was sworn in as the new mayor of Elk Grove on Wednesday…

The council has chosen to appoint someone to fill Steve Ly’s position. They cited the cost as being a factor. The price for a special election has gone up. It could now cost between $1-2 million. That is a lot money. Pat Hume had a great comment. He said no offense to our new mayor, but if you don’t want to have to deal with this then stop voting for people in the middle of their term. But as we have seen, voters are stupid.  They vote for Props 47 and 57.

In this case I agree with an appointment. An election would lead to a candidate that is supported by Ly and Davis. With an appointment I believe that Hume, Detrick and Suen will vote together.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

I agree with the appointment here due to the cost.

I also think it would be good to look at a couple of changes to City governance:

– 4-year term for Mayor,
    – Increase of City Council to 6 (non-Mayoral) members:

Four would be from Districts as currently defined (or possibly modified by population changes). Only voters in those Districts would vote and replacement would be defined to occur by a new election.

Two would be City-wide – Council members could live anywhere in Elk Grove and the entire City would vote for them. Replacement would be defined to occur by appointment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy