fbpx

Elk Grove Online to shut down July 31

This topic contains 79 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  dhatchett 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I was messaged that they posted they were shutting down effective July 31. The forums are currently read only. It was only a matter of time before it happened.

For those that are or were on EGO, you are welcome to sign up here. I don’t think you’ll get any drama unless you want to create it. Times have changed, people change. Things move forward.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Yah. Say a few respectful words at the grave and toss in the dirt. Moving on. 8)

These things happen. EGO lasted longer than most sites I know and did better than most sites I’ve frequented, but eventually succumbed to the same issues.

Enjoy your time and keep innovating. 8)

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Oh Doc.. you killed em!

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

NO!!! I didn’t reach my 10 year anniversary over there yet…….or my 15,000 post yet. 😉

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@kindrlindr 126869 wrote:

NO!!! I didn’t reach my 10 year anniversary over there yet…….or my 15,000 post yet. 😉

You got 6 years on here, better start posting. 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I didn’t expect it to happen quite this soon. Initially I probably did, but I figured they would stay on since there were still some people posting. I think most all the businesses left except a few who stayed around because of the Best of Elk Grove and they still got some referrals from members.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

This is what happens when you don’t moderate and lose control of your site to the trolls, not unlike any absentee ownership business. They may have another plan, though. The site they are referring people to is the same odd Canada based registrar that holds the EGO domain, so there may be some connections between the old and new sites, or maybe he sold it. The name was registered several years ago. We shall see how they do. My guess is they will get the same negative, ankle biters that currently dominate EGO and come up very short, very quickly. I certainly enjoyed my early years there, met some great people, and did some worthwhile business. No regrets, and I do appreciate what they did for Elk Grove back then. I don’t know why Jeff let it slip away as he did, but I do feel a little bad for Jeff and April, as I know this was to be their retirement income vehicle.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

It’s been pretty dead for a couple of months. I never really logged in over there.

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

Oh, those early years on EGO. I remember those. That site is where I met the “old man basketball” group that still meets at 8 am every Saturday at Joseph Sims for some games. Those worldly discussion we had were great. I took my first cruise from Nash Travels that advertised on the site. My wife found her tennis group on the site. I used Benita Myers for taxes a couple of years. Some good times, but time to move on…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 126873 wrote:

This is what happens when you don’t moderate and lose control of your site to the trolls, not unlike any absentee ownership business. They may have another plan, though. The site they are referring people to is the same odd Canada based registrar that holds the EGO domain, so there may be some connections between the old and new sites, or maybe he sold it. The name was registered several years ago. We shall see how they do. My guess is they will get the same negative, ankle biters that currently dominate EGO and come up very short, very quickly. I certainly enjoyed my early years there, met some great people, and did some worthwhile business. No regrets, and I do appreciate what they did for Elk Grove back then. I don’t know why Jeff let it slip away as he did, but I do feel a little bad for Jeff and April, as I know this was to be their retirement income vehicle.

I know she was battling cancer. Hopefully she is doing okay. I feel bad for them, but not for the people they left in charge.

The ironic thing is that the people who tried to control everything and censor people ended up abandoning them in the end. That was their thing, telling people what they could and couldn’t say and then they got their way and helped get rid of everyone, then they got bored and left.

This is what I think caused their downfall

1. The scoring system led to the drama, which they benefited from by getting more views and comments, but also hurt them because they let it get away. When the discussion turned from the subject to why and who was scoring that was the end. The discussions sort themselves out eventually.

2. Taking sides in the drama over and over again to appease their friends.

3. The purge of 2010 and the beginning of Elk Grove Laguna Forums. They were too stubborn to admit they needed the more popular members who always posted and kept things going. When your top 8 or so lifetime posters are gone, that’s a huge void to fill.

4. Facebook. That was when FB was just getting popular and the cliques moved to FB and stopped posting. Then they failed to try and work with Facebook to their benefit.

5. The lack of moderation and the people left in charge. Businesses left because of them. Some felt like they would be blackballed if they didn’t advertise and that kept them from advertising here. I was told that by a few business owners. They did them no favors by how they acted. There was a lack of response to complaints. Some parts didn’t work. Their forums weren’t compatible with some web browsers according to some posters. Lack of leadership overall and no one taking responsibility.

6. Failure to adapt. Their forum software wasn’t very good. They didn’t take advantage of social media.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I met a lot of nice people there, did Relay For Life with them, got some free stuff, participated in a few Tip Nights, and more. The crazy stalker was no fun but he’s in the past now. I heard about April’s health problems and I do hope this decision isn’t related to her cancer and I do hope she is beating it.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@EGL Admin 126877 wrote:

1. The scoring system led to the drama, which they benefited from by getting more views and comments, but also hurt them because they let it get away. When the discussion turned from the subject to why and who was scoring that was the end. The discussions sort themselves out eventually.

^^This

But in all fairness, like many others, I met some good people there. Ron Ohta, John (LC), Doc, and a few others. That stupid karma thing just ruined the whole experience for me.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@divotmaker 126879 wrote:

^^This

But in all fairness, like many others, I met some good people there. Ron Ohta, John (LC), Doc, and a few others. That stupid karma thing just ruined the whole experience for me.

I fixed it for you. 🙂

I agree. Met some great people on there too that I have become good friends with offline.

The karma thing was a failed social experiment that treated people like kids and that in turn caused them to behave like kids.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

I just signed up. I’m thinking because the old site is outdated, not very user friendly, etc. that maybe dumping the old and starting over with a newer site is what they are doing. I hope it is easier to use and I don’t have to log in every time I want to get on.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Looking at the new site the format and software doesn’t look very good.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@EGL Admin 126883 wrote:

Looking at the new site the format and software doesn’t look very good.

Yeah, it’s definitely something they threw together quickly. Doesn’t seem like it has much chance long term with that format.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It’s actually much worse than the old one.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

I saw this happen with another forum I belonged to in the past. They were about to lose server access so they had to scramble to move somewhere else. But that was several years ago; I’, sure much has changed since that time.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I am very glad I stayed neutral and was friends with both sites, and if either side minded that I wouldn’t take side, I didn’t mind. What this site is missing is the get togethers. I don’t see why people are not meeting up like the older days in EGO. That is where I met people and then developed closer connections by seeing each other outside of EGO.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

You should organize something!

I rarely went to EGO events. I went to some tip nights, a wine tasting event, and much later, did Relay for Life a few years. I wanted to maintain my anonymity, plus my daughter was so young and childcare was an issue. These days I have to taxi the kids to activities and that makes it tough to go places in the evenings.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@divotmaker 126884 wrote:

Yeah, it’s definitely something they threw together quickly. Doesn’t seem like it has much chance long term with that format.

Heh. Not THAT quickly. It looks dated because all bulletin boards look dated after the world moves on. Our machines didn’t have as much oomph then as they do now, so only a non-technical fool would have tried to deliver what we expect in a modern experience. You’ll see the same thing happen here if you all don’t keep up. 8)

I used to talk to Jeff about his work on the code. Where things went astray was his attempt to design a pleasing UI. That wasn’t his strong point. To turn EGO into a retirement vehicle, he needed it to be a larger businesses with talent on staff to cover his gaps. I don’t think it was possible on the budget he had, so he got surpassed by other social media sites who DID have the capital to invest.

I think of EGO as being like a small mom-and-pop shop that gets displaced when big corporations come to town. There isn’t much to be one for them as they can’t compete directly. Regular bookstores become niche bookstores to survive, right? The only real options are to evolve or die.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@EGL Admin 126877 wrote:

The ironic thing is that the people who tried to control everything and censor people ended up abandoning them in the end. That was their thing, telling people what they could and couldn’t say and then they got their way and helped get rid of everyone, then they got bored and left.

This happens almost everywhere from what I’ve seen. EGO is just one example.

Quote:

They could have survived this even with your competition, but FB made that very unlikely. Many of us were dual-site fans before the last blow-up, so we had options. FB adapted faster and had those time-sucking games that made zombies of us. Time-sucking at one site deprives another of content.

Quote:
    2. Taking sides in the drama over and over again to appease their friends.

Jeff was really careful about this most of the time. He gave in to the pressure when it came to you because of the drama. Reminds me of your similar surrender with doclaguna, but your site is weathering it better.

Quote:
    3. The purge of 2010 and the beginning of Elk Grove Laguna Forums. They were too stubborn to admit they needed the more popular members who always posted and kept things going. When your top 8 or so lifetime posters are gone, that’s a huge void to fill.

Prophetic.

Quote:
    4. Facebook. That was when FB was just getting popular and the cliques moved to FB and stopped posting. Then they failed to try and work with Facebook to their benefit.

You made the far better choice. No doubt about it. 8)

Quote:
    5. The lack of moderation and the people left in charge. Businesses left because of them. Some felt like they would be blackballed if they didn’t advertise and that kept them from advertising here. I was told that by a few business owners. They did them no favors by how they acted. There was a lack of response to complaints. Some parts didn’t work. Their forums weren’t compatible with some web browsers according to some posters. Lack of leadership overall and no one taking responsibility.

The death spiral had already begun before this, so I see this as more of a symptom than a cause.

Quote:
    6. Failure to adapt. Their forum software wasn’t very good. They didn’t take advantage of social media.

The software worked well enough for the times. I suspect Jeff lost heart, though. Stagnant code is death in this world.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@EGL Admin 126880 wrote:

The karma thing was a failed social experiment that treated people like kids and that in turn caused them to behave like kids.

I think history has shown you are correct on this.

I surrender the point. 8)

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@adiffer 126898 wrote:

This happens almost everywhere from what I’ve seen. EGO is just one example.

I don’t have experience with any other online forums, so I have no idea if it’s common. My rather limited experience was with things like AT & T and Apple forums where it’s not really a community or group that knows each other.

As far as the forum software, I think it wasn’t mobile friendly for years. Then they did an update of the forums after we left that looked better but a lot of people had issues with it and they weren’t very responsive to the issues.

I agree that it didn’t seem like anyone cared towards the end. The other day after I heard it was closing, I looked in and saw a thread about he last days of EGO that was from late last year. No one involved chimed in to say it wasn’t going anywhere. They just let people comment and complain. a couple of posts earlier this month were triple posted on the same thread. It was like a fitting end. Someone turn off the lights when you’re done I guess. Kind of a sad way to let it end.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@adiffer 126899 wrote:

I think history has shown you are correct on this.

I surrender the point. 8)

🙂

It was a point many of us tried to make for years but we were called babies and whiners. It reminded me of some type of communal living group, that I think worked okay maybe early on until it started getting bigger and more people weren’t a part of it.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I surrender. I will never again own a cape…….I wore it proudly for years. :crying2:

dhatchett
    Participant
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 16

I kept hoping for some accolades myself after 8 years but the only thing I got was the scholar’s cap from trivia. 🙂

uemcgill
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 11

Once upon a time, a lunch lady gave a kid a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and somehow this was akin to mass murder in the fine city of Elk Grove. At least according to some. Others believed in a quaint thing called personal responsibility. Those were the halcyon days of the mid-oughts, before Facebook allowed you to cull all dissenting opinions from your surrounding, giving you the amazing comfort of an echo chamber.
    I met a lot of great people, a few mediocre people, and some total losers because of that site (no one who ever posted here in that last group), so on whole, I am glad to have participated on it. Plus, damn, it was fun trolling.

Ulysses Everett McGill
    Aka doclaguna
    Aka superdoclaguna
    Aka the 15 other troll accounts I created on EGO. Man I wish I had a list of them…

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I had cape, which always surprised me because I certainly didn’t hold back and just aree with people-esp. on the political pages. I think it was awarding things was pretty random.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

LOL about the lunch lady. I will never forget how that took a life of its own…….

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Boy was that a thread!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

At the time I was fairly new to EGO when the lunch lady thread came up. I couldn’t understand why some people made a big deal about what the lunch lady did. Since then I have seen so many situations like similar to that on EGO and FB that it doesn’t surprise me anymore. There is a fairly good size segment of society that just doesn’t believe in personal responsibility.

uemcgill
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 11

@EGL Admin 126924 wrote:

At the time I was fairly new to EGO when the lunch lady thread came up. I couldn’t understand why some people made a big deal about what the lunch lady did. Since then I have seen so many situations like similar to that on EGO and FB that it doesn’t surprise me anymore. There is a fairly good size segment of society that just doesn’t believe in personal responsibility.

Somebody has a screen shot of that thread somewhere. I think it also shows that some people put things out in the world hoping for a universal “O, poor you,” response and when they don’t get it they go full thermonuclear meltdown. I’m pretty sure of got one of my many bans due to that.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Sometimes people want to vent and just want people to understand them….that place to go for that is not a website where people aren’t your best friends and will call you on things.

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

[IMG]http://www.elkgrove-laguna.net/forums/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABIAAAAVCAIAAADEqSm4AAADWElEQVQ4jZ3Uz08cZQDG8fkb3HmXEAhGSkowaa1ooxVqBUww9UAhKm2VqBhK1RhjTEw91GhivEmqNaUmpkYvWuOh0SatBoLSoiRQfiOV8qPAsrtll91lZ96Z9513dr5ejN5JPtdvnttjaVXaBUtpswv/Z4HSeD7uNs4SzizuLO4szizOAsUV3FSoXRkYFWittaV0KTAoA9KQd0jP9TeKb58UFxvsS83xbxrFpUP2Vw2C1E1kWoMxJc/1LaVL2g8p GSSFGb6m IMv85wF6O9DHQzcJqhN5k488URwc4UThJfoo0VAb4hV6A4/WGLYL6Hm72Le0Wyys6VC1MVn6q4j4lXWTr1eZPg3g2cDXxp5Qsuns/dhb6nBIku7rTPHyxLVNqZCpErF5txe6ImdvloOckTTJ260BwnM4vjWIGB7eS5xmpmzrLdQbJt v6YUym4/Bp/nma6 eWsgtPx1k7xmoni dad1HTloRIHNsjl5sibPdwcazo3X2Zq34 1DZ9X0xRjqY6WD KGvHWHqu75kyMuN4kaWDiLxDYuOTpnJWTpBtZ X4lUftkQftxVqRrhETe2LcPsnq89x68fwRgVp2dGgpXUKGbHsUJj9tLWPpBWY6mezmlzdW94qMsLPVYuCAzVjXlcNx0ldx13NghSU818f3KP7V3xxn5J25PfZyjWDobQbe4qd3E9Vips5m6IMv99ts3cbdkkSWr8IIPCUprrJ2bfCAvVQZ26wWvz8srj9ij9XZC7X2rQdig/ttkotksnheQbqWr8KCq2QErktq5ev6CgbP3qiNXXtcXG2MDz0WH64X/Pr d/WC9DIK8iEhlg4iKUPHi/Aisg6p6R8P2oz3MPsS88eZP8lk7/cPxUiP4CYLUuFFxjWWDqLQgCbKGHKSxNwPTWVM9pJsp9hGoo07PZ8dFmxOotI7JanADbGKjqf8KFLgRQSQXyf9W1 TYP1ltjrZeOWj1jjZPyikCPMFncv6uhBgReAF5AMjidyig8wjE2TGzrdWnXvC/rjBZmccvSNzBeM5REZJU/p3LWI70kW0r1Wg/VKkKWZJbrBxl8w9UkntagXS8UJPhX7Jl4GltJGBcY1xjVbaaK1VoEu j1Nkp4jj4kmtjQxKWpv/7PIU/gFgkn6OXhtvvgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==[/IMG]

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

@kindrlindr 126902 wrote:

I surrender. I will never again own a cape…….I wore it proudly for years. :crying2:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2347[/ATTACH]

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

refresh my memory, what was the gist of the lunch lady thread and why did it cause such a reaction? I had forgotten about that thread.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I’m sure some on here are still members over there. I’d think you could dig up the old thread. Here’s an aftermath I found with a google search

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@norules 126938 wrote:

refresh my memory, what was the gist of the lunch lady thread and why did it cause such a reaction? I had forgotten about that thread.

If my memory is correct, a child ran out of money in his/her on line school lunch payment account, and so the lunch lady would not let that child buy lunch and instead gave some kind of cheese and crackers or pb and crackers. The parent was angry the child wasn’t given a full lunch. Other members chimed in that the school sends home letters when the account runs low, and this child either didn’t give them to the parent or the parent still forgot to put more money in the account. Maybe even the kid had already gotten free meals for several days and the school them cut the kid off? It was so long ago…some details are probably incorrect. It became about “starving” a child, personal responsibility to care for your child, checking the account balance on line proactively, etc.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Newmom, that sums it up pretty well in my recollection as well.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

New mom something is being planned. Bring food to share sometime in August. I will let everybody know/

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

Ahh, thanks for reminding me. It is coming back now.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Awesome! Way to step up Viola!

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

I save the lunch lady thread years ago and it may be backed up on my server. I’ll see if I can find it.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@EGL Admin 126901 wrote:

🙂

It was a point many of us tried to make for years but we were called babies and whiners. It reminded me of some type of communal living group, that I think worked okay maybe early on until it started getting bigger and more people weren’t a part of it.

Yah. Hindsight is better tuned. 8)

I’m still of the opinion that social communities need a grading system, but I’ve never seen any code that comes close to meeting the need. We all judge each other in various ways and the point of a grading system is to help us avoid the clowns that aren’t worth the effort it takes us to judge them. Thumbs and capes aren’t up to the challenge of grading reputations, though.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@EGL Admin 126900 wrote:

I don’t have experience with any other online forums, so I have no idea if it’s common. My rather limited experience was with things like AT & T and Apple forums where it’s not really a community or group that knows each other.

Slashdot, Kuro5hin, and Fresh Meat were my training grounds. For any youngsters here, Slashdot and Fresh Meat were techie/nerdy and different. Kuro5hin was a budding author site where your material got voted upon and if scored high enough it was shown on the main site. Slashdot was an interesting mess of a system with battling cliques. Kuro5hin was worth the effort in the early days and then spiraled into the vitriol one must learn to spew when all the authors are practicing their trollish material.

My registration at EGO occurred while I was still at Kuro5hin and enjoying it there. I needed a local outlet for family reasons, so I looked like two different people if you followed me in both places. What I was looking for from EGO began to work after a couple years, so I shifted my attention there because it was clear Kuro5hin was heading into the toilet.

Ah well. Our needs evolve even if community sites do not.
    Live a life planning to have no regrets. 8)

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@uemcgill 126925 wrote:

I’m pretty sure of got one of my many bans due to that.

Heh. Probably more than one.
    It also produced some of your best material both there and off-site. 8)

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@egdad 126960 wrote:

I save the lunch lady thread years ago and it may be backed up on my server. I’ll see if I can find it.

That would be really cool.
    That thread is an excellent object lesson regarding the application of people skills. 8)

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

@adiffer 126965 wrote:

That would be really cool.
    That thread is an excellent object lesson regarding the application of people skills. 8)

I have attached two threads related to the Lunch Lady. I haven’t read them in years but remember them as being entertaining. Enjoy:)[ATTACH]2351[/ATTACH]

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

And the second one.[ATTACH]2352[/ATTACH]

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I made it through the first PDF. So it was Lynn McCallum who started it! 🙂
    There were other offshoots of the thread that got deleted too. DHall ended up quitting. I can’t believe it took over 200 posts before I made my first post, which I believe was a very good post. It’s something I have been saying the last 10-12 years. There is a type of person that posts something because they need the pats on the back of others or want people to feel sorry for them. I think many of us do the former. I like to post good things or good news, I post to vent, but not for sympathy. Back in this time period on EGO, posting for sympathy was a huge thing.

Reading back through the posts, there are really some people that I couldn’t stand, others I remembered and some I miss.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

OMG. Both Docs trying to be the voice of reason…..boy are those days long gone.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Ahhhh memories…..thanks EGDAD. I remember a lot of those people too. I miss wacky. He grew on me 🙂

Lucky for us now, there are no lunch money issues unless you WANT to cause them. My sons’ accounts are auto-reloaded when the balance gets under $20. I am on top of things. 🙂

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

I did a search on my EGO name in the PDF and nothing came up. Whew! Ha ha.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Was that auto-reloading feature available back then?
    Did someone learn something from all this?

Heh. 8)

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 126990 wrote:

OMG. Both Docs trying to be the voice of reason…..boy are those days long gone.

I was always the voice of reason. Some of you just didn’t like my reasons. 🙂

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

adiffer…..autoload was NOT an option back then from what I remember.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Teaching pigs to sing?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2355[/ATTACH]

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@kindrlindr 127000 wrote:

adiffer…..autoload was NOT an option back then from what I remember.

Okay. That makes sense. Amy complained once on the thread about that, but in a mild way.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@EGL Admin 126987 wrote:

Reading back through the posts, there are really some people that I couldn’t stand, others I remembered and some I miss.

Yep. I wasn’t around for the first one, but it is nice to see that Doc was wordy as ever even back then. And I’m pretty sure the only way he would have stayed out that long would have had to have been a full body cast or he was in jail. 🙂

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I find it completely strange and kind of sad that I didn’t even post on that second lunch lady thread. I don’t think I even knew about it…….wth is up with that?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@joy 127004 wrote:

Yep. I wasn’t around for the first one, but it is nice to see that Doc was wordy as ever even back then. And I’m pretty sure the only way he would have stayed out that long would have had to have been a full body cast or he was in jail. 🙂

Yep. I don’t know why I waited so long on that one.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I know I was a member during the first thread and don’t know why I didn’t post. I wonder if I just missed if before it was pulled.

uemcgill
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 11

Doc, did you just admit you missed me?

I miss Lynn, but she ended our FB friendship because she couldn’t ironically deal with my thoughts around… personal responsibility in the political forum, around the issue of entitlement programs. You can’t make this stuff up.
    I had totally forgot about that dude wackymac. He along with Al’s brother in law was it were my favorite people to troll back in the day.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 127009 wrote:

I know I was a member during the first thread and don’t know why I didn’t post. I wonder if I just missed if before it was pulled.

You were too busy admiring your cape. 🙂

uemcgill
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 11

The other interesting thing about that thread is my wife was actually on EGO at that time. I believe as a result of that thread, Lynn, myself, and some other people got banished, and Jeff in his amazing wisdom banned her as well for no reason. Now you couldn’t pay her to go on anything other than a running website.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I remember some of the those names-like Lynn-but since I never went to EGO events I knew folks in real life.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 127013 wrote:

You were too busy admiring your cape. 🙂

I had to check if I even had a cape at the time.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 127016 wrote:

I had to check if I even had a cape at the time.

There’s no way to check unless you wrote it down. Even on old posts it only shows the current status.

There was another thread that was one of favorites. A lady went to the chevron on big horn and went inside and paid cash. She gave the wrong pump number. Someone else got her gas and she was upset that they wouldn’t give her a refund. She screwed up and wanted them to pay for it. I was all over her about that. Then she said the employee was rude and cursed her out. So you can imagine the reaction from all of the other minivan driving moms. Poor you! How awful for you! John ended up seeing the video footage and it was the lady who was yelling at the employee and cursed him out. She was a real POS. Then later she was renting a room from someone she didn’t even know and I think she had two kids. She would go to work and leave her kids in this house with someone she didn’t know.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I thought I remembered those threads better than I did. Either I didn’t participate, was taking an EGO break, or just got deleted, I don’t remember. What did surprise me was realizing that I’m somehow in touch still with at least half the people that posted on there, either on here, FB, or email. I still hear from Dana and Dennis Hall on occasion.
    @EGL Admin 127017 wrote:

There was another thread that was one of favorites. A lady went to the chevron on big horn and went inside and paid cash. She gave the wrong pump number. Someone else got her gas and she was upset that they wouldn’t give her a refund. She screwed up and wanted them to pay for it. I was all over her about that. Then she said the employee was rude and cursed her out. So you can imagine the reaction from all of the other minivan driving moms. Poor you! How awful for you! John ended up seeing the video footage and it was the lady who was yelling at the employee and cursed him out. She was a real POS. Then later she was renting a room from someone she didn’t even know and I think she had two kids. She would go to work and leave her kids in this house with someone she didn’t know.

I remember that one! The Chevron was ours. I just walked over and talked to the manager and saw the video. We were all laughing, as I think I actually printed some comments she made and brought them with me. I don’t think one of them was true. I also remember she said she went over to Shell and “got great customer service.” We questioned her as to how anyone gets great customer service by filling up our own cars with gas. We used to live for this stuff, LOL! Yes, I remember her showing up to a couple of events. A little rough for sure.

ohtar2000
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 66
    • Total Posts - 75

LONG LIVE THE LUNCH LADY!! :drink:

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 127019 wrote:

I thought I remembered those threads better than I did. Either I didn’t participate, was taking an EGO break, or just got deleted, I don’t remember. What did surprise me was realizing that I’m somehow in touch still with at least half the people that posted on there, either on here, FB, or email. I still hear from Dana and Dennis Hall on occasion.

I remember that one! The Chevron was ours. I just walked over and talked to the manager and saw the video. We were all laughing, as I think I actually printed some comments she made and brought them with me. I don’t think one of them was true. I also remember she said she went over to Shell and “got great customer service.” We questioned her as to how anyone gets great customer service by filling up our own cars with gas. We used to live for this stuff, LOL! Yes, I remember her showing up to a couple of events. A little rough for sure.

I don’t understand why people pay cash for gas. I guess maybe bad credit or fear of being hacked.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I remember the lady who on one thread posted looking for donations to send her son to a football camp, going on and on about how they couldn’t afford it and her son loves the sport, when on another thread she was talking about a planned, scheduled upcoming week long Disneyland trip for her and the kids. Busted!

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 127025 wrote:

I don’t understand why people pay cash for gas. I guess maybe bad credit or fear of being hacked.

Well that was many years ago too, long before that was a problem at gas stations. I don’t know the answer though-we budget everything, but still put what we can on credit cards for cash back. Plus it is much more convenient.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Thank you for saving the thread. I’m reading it for the first time, only half way thru, all I can say is WOW!!! But at least I know what you are now referring to when you bring up the Lunch Lady.

I do remember receiving private messages for me to go look at what someone posted and how mean they were and to score them down – I thought they just had a bit too much time on their hand and would come back with something a bit sarcastic and say I actually enjoyed their point of view

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

OMG!!! I stopped going on EGO years ago and I don’t remember this. This is crazy!! The caps kill me, hahaha. I am lost for words and all I can say is WOW! So adolescent!!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 127027 wrote:

I remember the lady who on one thread posted looking for donations to send her son to a football camp, going on and on about how they couldn’t afford it and her son loves the sport, when on another thread she was talking about a planned, scheduled upcoming week long Disneyland trip for her and the kids. Busted!

Yep! I recall that. Or all the people that got banned and pretended to be someone else. I was always pretty good at picking them out. I busted one person big time. I won’t say any names, but they were a “friend” of the banned person, but it was actually them. This one time it was very elaborate, but they always slip up and mention something that is similar to their real life persona.

It’s also funny because from time to time I come across some of them on our EGLF FB page and things haven’t changed. Sometimes they don’t realize I know who they are, but they know who I am.

When you look back it was all so stupid, and the biggest cause was the scoring system. That led to so much of the drama as people tried to control others. Recently on Nextdoor I had one of my posts deleted. I am a lead in my neighborhood and leads can delete posts. I think the topic was the casino and someone was just being a ding dong and I said “Good grief…..” and someone deleted it because it was “not neighborly”.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

I think this was the direction Jeff and April wanted to take EGO and eventually it did become a hum drum bulletin board so to speak. And when they turned the administration over to someone else it began to circle the drain. I am surprised it hung on as long as it did. EGO isn’t the only forum I have been on that has gone belly-up; there have been quite a few I used to belong to.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

It took me half the night to read both of those lunch lady threads and all I can say is WOW! Some people had way too much time on their hands! I found myself getting lost in trying to unravel some of those posts.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think if everyone had stayed there it would have survived. All he needed to do was just be fair and not take sides. The incident that led to breakup was something with the postal place in LC’s center. They closed and left a big mess and didn’t notify customers. Something happened with Bymyers and myself and I got scored down. That drama continued for a month as people kept scoring. Then Jeff messed with the scoring system and made it so people couldn’t score me up. I challenged him to a debate. That’s when he told me if I didn’t like it to start my own forum. Then the next day he booted a bunch of us and here we are. He just underestimated the value of what the posters brought to the site in making it interesting and fun. People would log in just to see what we were saying. Once he let the other two run it, then it was over. Then they ran off the businesses.

I see they are still doing the best of Elk Grove. But they don’t have a vehicle to promote it. I don’t see it lasting.

dhatchett
    Participant
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 16

Who ended up running it at the end? It certainly took on a different “texture”.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@dhatchett 127046 wrote:

Who ended up running it at the end? It certainly took on a different “texture”.

Jeff had two people running it, Krista and Aleasha. I saw lots of complaints on EGO and I heard a lot of things from local business owners. Two were specifically afraid to stop advertising for fear of being blackballed in some manner. Others only stayed on because of the Best of Elk Grove. They did nothing to help promote the businesses other than providing them advertising. They had too many rules what they could post and how often. Right or wrong, Jeff at least cared about it and was somewhat responsive, although I would say even that was less than satisfactory sometimes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy