fbpx
Advertisements

Elk Grove Yard Watering Schedule

This topic contains 34 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Zorro28 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Here is a link to check what days you are allowed to water your yards in Elk Grove. Looks like we can water two days a week, the days depend on your address odd/even. There are also set times when we are not allowed to water during the day – times vary slightly on what water agency you have.

http://www.elkgrovecity.org/city_hall/departments_divisions/public_works/drainage/drought_response_and_water_conservation

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

I pump my own water as many do out here in what used to be the country, so we are not in a water district, so to speak.. I have already cut my watering to two days a week.. I can already see that it is going to cause a lot of browning in the summer…..

Julia
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 61
    • Total Posts - 65

It’s important to note that you cannot have runoff into the gutters. For me that means my front sprinklers cannot go longer than 10 minutes at a time. EG Water will be looking for this violation.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

It is pretty hard not to get run off. The experts tell you to water deep and long as opposed to often. I am not so sure that is viable these days.. I am thinking short watering times, then a delay of maybe an hour, then another short watering time.. that will let any standing water soak in.. At least it sounds like that might work

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’m watering twice a week now but going to increase to 3 times soon probably. I might try two times but for longer time. I’m on well too so the water district can suck it.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@plasmadrive 110313 wrote:

It is pretty hard not to get run off. The experts tell you to water deep and long as opposed to often. I am not so sure that is viable these days.. I am thinking short watering times, then a delay of maybe an hour, then another short watering time.. that will let any standing water soak in.. At least it sounds like that might work

That’s not a bad idea. I get very little run off if any. You also want to water early in the morning. I have one area that has 6 stations and 4 of them take at least 45 minutes each. They are the slow moving sprinklers. I turn those on around 1 am. I have 4 different sprinkler timers. Including drip I think I have 30 stations.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I really don’t water, I water maybe twice a month. Grass is still green though.

So who is actually on EG water district? I would love to not have to deal with Sac or EG water district.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

We didnt think we had run off , but we must of had alot. Problem was we ran our sprinklers at 1 am. who knew. till today. I have a hole in my front yard now, but one fixed invisible broken sprinkler head now capped off.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@gearshark23 110317 wrote:

I really don’t water, I water maybe twice a month. Grass is still green though.

So who is actually on EG water district? I would love to not have to deal with Sac or EG water district.

you must teach me your ways!
    I have no idea how some folks keep their lawns so green. I used to water the lawn 2x a week last year, ran them 5minutes each section, but they ran twice within a day.
    5-minutes was chosen to reduce run-off.
    All this – and the lawn still came in not as healthy as the parks or other neighbors.

But now we just experienced another dry winter, and now forcing watering days from 3 down to 2?
    I’m thinking of just not watering at all – with all the expected (that is, I expect) high heat this summer, my lawn is going to be toast.

I’m thinking of just moving over to just a low-maintenance front-yard 😛 and keep the grass in the backyard.
    Has anyone heard of anyone else taking advantage of a “Cash for Grass” program? Curious how it works (or if it’s just that simple) and what their experience was.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Sacramento County Water is at a stage 3. They are now only allowing us to water once a week – either Saturday or Sunday. Shrubs with drip systems can water 3 times a week. http://www.waterresources.saccounty.net/scwa/Pages/default.aspx

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

I’m on the West Side of 99, we are limited to 1 day as Scarlet stated…

Whats it matter if they don’t enforce though. I see business, church’s and residents watering at ALL times and days. What gets me is that people water in the middle of the hottest part of the day, that isn’t smart to do even when we weren’t in a drought

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I did a Sac County water agency car drive by last week sometime. So I’m curious if they will be enforcing?

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Someone was watering yesterday on the east side of EG.

There is some grass at Harbor Pointe and EG Blvd right by the Mcdonalds, that had it’s water on for about 20 minutes on Friday.. LC know anything about that? I don’t think it’s actually in your lot though, and it could be recycled water.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@scarlet 112225 wrote:

Sacramento County Water is at a stage 3. They are now only allowing us to water once a week – either Saturday or Sunday. Shrubs with drip systems can water 3 times a week. http://www.waterresources.saccounty.net/scwa/Pages/default.aspx

This is so stupid to me. If I water my yard for a few minutes a few days a week, I use less water than if I am trying to keep my yard alive and water it one day a week.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

We are not even really notified when we are suppose to water. I keep hearing it, but I dont see what days they are. If they want us to participate, we should be swamped with WHEN. When do they want us to do our watering????

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

All I really want to keep alive are my trees and shrubs – the lawn can go. I just need to figure out what to do with the front yard that won’t cost me a lot to change. And I need to convince my husband lawn is overrated.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

You can have my husband. oh wait, I like him, never mind lol. When I told him I guess we could let our backyard grass die, he was so very happy. He just wants concrete and we can dye it green. I shake my head. How do we always marry our opposites. 🙂 🙂

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My son is outside playing on the grass in our backyard almost every day. My kids are still young enough that we use it. They play soccer, tumble, etc on it. I don’t care about the front grass but we had most of that removed years ago. What’s left is pretty small.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

Also in Sacramento County water District (West of 99) you are not allowed to use a hose for pretty much anything. No washing cars, patios, etc… I don’t mind conserving but they need to do ALOT better job notifying people about the water restrictions and how to conserve water. If these people are watering their lawns 5 times a week at 3:30pm, then how long are the showers they are taking, how much water is being wasted while the faucet is running while they are washing dishes.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

So is it bad that my cat Molly likes to drink from the sink and I let her? It’s just a little dribble, and I leave it on for just a few minutes. She has been such a good cat . ;0

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Here is the Sac County Water watering days info:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1933[/ATTACH]

We are restricted to one day per week, on the schedule above. This is the current info for residential users within the Sac County Water boundaries. This includes most of Elk Grove west of 99.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

We’re in STAGE 4 here, so of course as “stages” are clearly standardized, we must have much tighter restrictions than you lucky Stage 3 people:

WATER CONSERVATION STAGE 4 QUICK SUMMARY OF REQUIRED ACTIONS:

1. OUTDOOR WATERING DAYS FOR ORNAMENTAL LANDSCAPES OR TURF:
      • ADDRESSES ENDING IN EVEN NUMBERS – WED, FRI, SUN.
      • ADDRESSES ENDING IN ODD NUMBERS – TUES, THURS, SAT.
      • NO WATERING ON MONDAYS.

This is SMHS anyway. Ag is 80% of the water use in the state. How are these restrictions going to make any significant difference?

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

How are you allowed 3 days of watering on stage 4 and we are only allowed 1 on stage 3…?

Anyways, as I mentioned above, until they follow through with enforcing these, they are worthless…

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

CJ, that was my point, your first line. The stages are clearly what the water companies want them to be. They also said this is a “request.”

Zorro28
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 3
    • Total Posts - 3

I live in the Laguna Park neighborhood, and most of my neighbors (on my side) received handwritten warnings (about two weeks ago) because of runoff. So they are out there monitoring us, unless it was reported by one of the area neighbors.

Hank_Moody
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 46
    • Total Posts - 64

How do they monitor runoff? There is a slope on my street and whenever the 2 neighbors on my left or the neighbor on my right waters their lawn, their runoff water collects in the front of my home.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

We can only have one day? Impossible, for how I garden, if I get to veggies this summer. Hey Newmom, I won’t tell on you, if you do not tell on me 😉 :). Am I going to have to start watering at midnight like some fugitive. 🙂

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Viola – That is turf watering only, using a spray irrigation system. If you have a drip system for your veggies, you can water up to 3 days per week.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I need to hose it, if I put a tomato plant in.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

Just curious….how do you stop water runoff when your yard slopes down to the street?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I believe they will tell you to water less if you have run off, even if your yard slopes down.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Glad I have a well and not on public water.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Aerating your lawn will help.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@CJay916 112299 wrote:

How are you allowed 3 days of watering on stage 4 and we are only allowed 1 on stage 3…?

Anyways, as I mentioned above, until they follow through with enforcing these, they are worthless…

I thought they’re actually handing out fines now? is that not the case?

Though I know it is different service, Sac City is actually placing out a warning for first offense, and then second and beyond fines, increasing with number of violations.

MrsKaysSweetTreats
    • Topics - 20
    • Replies - 108
    • Total Posts - 128

Thanks for the link Scarlet. I didn’t realize we were down to once a week as I just got a letter not to long ago saying we were at twice a week. One of our neighbors got a warning citation for running her sprinklers before the 8 p.m. cut off (it was 730). So they are watching…

Zorro28
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 3
    • Total Posts - 3

@bevone: I replaced all the sprinkler heads near the sidewalk with heads that have check valves. Slopes and gravity cause lower positoned sprinkler heads to drain, creating runoff (at least in my case it did).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.