fbpx

Galleria Mall in Roseville is on Fire!

This topic contains 72 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  illbnice 8 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

😮

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Thanks for the heads up. That sucks. Sounds like there was or is some type of explosive device and they can’t get in and put out the fire. That’s going to devastate the area. All those people who work there will be without jobs. It’s going to hurt the economy and other businesses near the mall too.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

23 year old transient arsonist. They have him, and the fire seems to be isolated. Big news though.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

He’ll be going to prison for a long time.

Curlzz01
    • Topics - 27
    • Replies - 415
    • Total Posts - 442

Been watching this all afternoon, Guess the guy went into the gamestop store told the employees to get out then locked himself in a back room and set some clothes on fire. The place is still on fire. So sad for the employees espically. Bad timing for christmas revenue. Im pretty sure the mall won’t be repaired in time for the holiday shopping…

Raven
    • Topics - 202
    • Replies - 2,442
    • Total Posts - 2,644

The guy was heavy into the drugs. Check out his Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000790694639&v=wall

Curlzz01
    • Topics - 27
    • Replies - 415
    • Total Posts - 442

Raven I was reading his page earlier.. He was really a mess………..Someone that knew him called into the tv station live and was saying he was hooked on oxycontin

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Just got done looking at his F.B. Boy is he one heck of a specimen. Shake head.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

One stoned kid and a backpack burned the place to the ground while Roseville’s “finest” and “bravest” stop around 100 deep with their dicks in their hands. Such bravery! Someone should have told them there was pension paperwork on fire inside!

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

Doc – are you always such a rude a-hole to our fire fighters? There was concern about a bomb being in there. Are you saying they should have just gone in? When there is a situation like that going on here, can we call you to go in first? Geez.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

Since there are multiple “Doc”s on here, my previous comment was meant for doclaguna.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Heh. Obviously. 8)

flame2fire
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 120
    • Total Posts - 130

Doc…… really? That was a ridiculous flipp comment if I ever heard one. I always thought you were a bit more intellectual than that. You really think FF’s are like that? I think the reason they didn’t go in because the roof collapse. Call me crazy, but the safety of human life is a bit more important then clothes and items…and yes, even a mall. (gasp)

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@steveb6509 24084 wrote:

Since there are multiple “Doc”s on here, my previous comment was meant for doclaguna.

Whew, thanks! I read Flame’s post and had to jump back up to see what I said that pissed her off, then realized it wasn’t me.

If the firefighters had gone in and the roof fell on them, that sure as hell wouldn’t have been worth it to save a building. I am sure those guys wanted to go in and put it out, and would have if there were lives at stake but there wasn’t. Questioning their bravery in this case seems pretty ridiculous.

flame2fire
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 120
    • Total Posts - 130

not you THIS time DocS….muhahahahaha

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@steveb6509 24083 wrote:

Doc – are you always such a rude a-hole to our fire fighters? There was concern about a bomb being in there. Are you saying they should have just gone in? When there is a situation like that going on here, can we call you to go in first? Geez.

One stoned teenager with a backpack? You bet your life you can call me in there to go in first. Let me get some body armor and some tear gas. It would have been over in 10 minutes.

What “bomb” was he carrying in a backpack? Give me a f-ng break.

You guys bust me up like cops and firefighters are some protected class. They can never be criticized. Why couldn’t the cops gone in 10 minutes after this started since there was no hostages? Classic cluster**** to sit outside fingers 2 knuckles deep in a nostril while the place burnt down.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@docs44 24088 wrote:

Whew, thanks! I read Flame’s post and had to jump back up to see what I said that pissed her off, then realized it wasn’t me.

If the firefighters had gone in and the roof fell on them, that sure as hell wouldn’t have been worth it to save a building. I am sure those guys wanted to go in and put it out, and would have if there were lives at stake but there wasn’t. Questioning their bravery in this case seems pretty ridiculous.

Obviously you weren’t watching at noon when it was already ascertained that this scary bomber was alone with a backpack. We are not talking about Al-Qaeda here. They sat there watching the roof slowly smolder for hours.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I don’t think we have all the info to determine that and know why exactly they didn’t go in there unless the news media has all the answers which I doubt.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I turned off the news a little after 12 when I saw he was apprehended and the bomb squad was there or in route. I figured the bomb squad would be in and out within 30-60 minutes. I got a phone call a few hours later asking if I was watching the news, the mall was ablaze. I don’t understand how come they didn’t get in there a lot sooner to pull out the back back. The sprinkler system did all it could for several hours. We don’t even know if their was a bomb? If he did have a bomb in the pack, how big could it have been that they couldn’t come in a stay a safe distance away?

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@scarlet 24096 wrote:

I turned off the news a little after 12 when I saw he was apprehended and the bomb squad was there or in route. I figured the bomb squad would be in and out within 30-60 minutes. I got a phone call a few hours later asking if I was watching the news, the mall was ablaze. I don’t understand how come they didn’t get in there a lot sooner to pull out the back back. The sprinkler system did all it could for several hours. We don’t even know if their was a bomb? If he did have a bomb in the pack, how big could it have been that they couldn’t come in a stay a safe distance away?

Because they were on a union mandated break.
    Seriously… Thank you for not feeling you have to pucker up because they are cops and firefighters.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Dad was a cop for 36 years, he retired about 10 years ago. I use to have a news clipping of him and a bomb he had just deactivated. He didn’t wait for anyone, probably not the brightest thing to do, but he had just taken a class on bombs. I really think things are very different, from way back when…. We also call haz-mat out when a little gas spills after a big rig accident and close the road down for several hours. When before they would just spray it off to the side. Again, not the smartest thing to do and we are better educated. But sometimes I think we take things to the extreme. We also have a no tolerance rule in school. No gray areas of rules in schools. Both kids get suspended when there is a fight. One starts a fight, the other defends himself and one is out for five days and the other is out for three, really?? We need to protect people and keep them safe, but we also have to have a little common sense

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I don’t understand why they thought there was a bomb. The guy ordered everyone out. If he wanted to harm people he was going about it the wrong way. His fb page was not evil, but sad. It sounds like he was trying to be big and bad, but was more pethetic than bad. Sounds like his “friends” knew he needed help too.

Honestly, I question why the sprinkler system wasn’t more effective on the fire.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I didn’t know we had this many Roseville police and firefighters on this forum who had such in depth knowledge of the events yesterday. 😉

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

We’re being “arm chair quarterbacks”, well in this case “arm chair police/fire personnel”

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@scarlet 24124 wrote:

We’re being “arm chair quarterbacks”, well in this case “arm chair police/fire personnel”

Which is pretty much what they were doing, standing outside on walkie talkies for hours.

What exactly did they think this homeless mental patient kid who could not even hack a job at In N Out had in this backpack? A brick of C4? A tactical nuke?

You mean to tell me early on the risk from this single individual (with no hostages mind you) was so great that the police did not feel they could storm the place?

Less upset with the Fire Watchers, er Fire Fighters. Sounds like their hands were tied by fear of the big bad backpack, which if they ever do find it, probably has a bic lighter and some lighter fluid in it.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

This is too funny. Even for you DocL. Your pension envy is showing. How’s about we start second guessing all you do as a doctor? You know, because we are so well trained and experienced and know how to do your job better than you? Disappointing.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@docs44 24120 wrote:

I didn’t know we had this many Roseville police and firefighters on this forum who had such in depth knowledge of the events yesterday. 😉

I didn’t know cops and firefighters were above criticism.
    I bet if you ask one of the 1000s who are going to lose their job over this debacle if they would have asssumed the risk of going in and apprending this individual, they would jump at the chance.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

They aren’t above criticism. Do we know all the details yet and why they didn’t go in? After seeing the heroism displayed on 9/11 when hundreds of them ran upstairs into a burning building, having no idea what they would face, I think we need a little more info than what we saw on TV yesterday to even begin to criticize them. I’m sure many people would have run in to try and stop it, that’s irrelevant. They have to follow procedures. It’s human nature to ask questions and second guess, I understand that. The comments about pensions etc are ridiculous, and criticizing their bravery is as well. If there was human life at stake there I guarantee any of those guys would have rushed in risking their own lives to save that person. To even say they wouldn’t is absurd and you know it Doc.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

So what you are saying is, no action will be taken if no human life is at stake. I can roll up the the Washington Monument with a backpack and the police will sit there and watch me burn it down – as long as no life is at stake?

Sea, feel free to second guess my profession. The problem with MOST police and firefighters is this inability to criticize other cops or fire fighters. I hope you are above this. You think its reasonable for an entire police department to sit outside a mall while a lone individual ran around setting it on fire? Very simple question. Or should they have assessed the risk from this single individual and went in and ended the situation in 15 minutes.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@docs44 24131 wrote:

They aren’t above criticism. Do we know all the details yet and why they didn’t go in? After seeing the heroism displayed on 9/11 when hundreds of them ran upstairs into a burning building, having no idea what they would face, I think we need a little more info than what we saw on TV yesterday to even begin to criticize them. I’m sure many people would have run in to try and stop it, that’s irrelevant. They have to follow procedures. It’s human nature to ask questions and second guess, I understand that. The comments about pensions etc are ridiculous, and criticizing their bravery is as well. If there was human life at stake there I guarantee any of those guys would have rushed in risking their own lives to save that person. To even say they wouldn’t is absurd and you know it Doc.

2 Planes crashed into 2 skyscrapers = one pimply kid with a backpack?

Great analogy there doc!

illbnice
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 1,231
    • Total Posts - 1,284

I don’t think you can blame the firefighters because they have to wait for clearance from the police. From what I just read, the large fire snuck up on them when they were retrieving the backpack.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@illbnice 24136 wrote:

I don’t think you can blame the firefighters because they have to wait for clearance from the police. From what I just read, the large fire snuck up on them when they were retrieving the backpack.

Which I’m sure will contain a vial of smallpox, plutonium and a portal to another dimension… I’m glad they didn’t go in after this guy in the face of that overwhelming force against them.

Seriously, am I the only person who sees this? How does a single individual hold an entire police force at bay for hours. We are not talking minutes, HOURS…

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

I heard from a very reliable source that they let the mall burn because mall management refused to pay the $75 fee for fire fighter service this year.

illbnice
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 1,231
    • Total Posts - 1,284

I do understand the armchair quarterbacking, but the truth for me is that these SWAT members and bomb squad personnel are highly, highly trained. They know what they’re doing and why. They can’t just run into a huge mall to get this guy–can you imagine all of the places he could be hiding to snipe the police?! They have to go in systematically–that alone would take awhile.

As for leaving the backpack in there for so long giving way to the fire…it does seem a bit excessive given they already had the nut job. According to a timeline on Sacbee.com it took two hours between the time they had him in custody and the time they were retrieving the backpack.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@illbnice 24141 wrote:

I do understand the armchair quarterbacking, but the truth for me is that these SWAT members and bomb squad personnel are highly, highly trained. They know what they’re doing and why. They can’t just run into a huge mall to get this guy–can you imagine all of the places he could be hiding to snipe the police?! They have to go in systematically–that alone would take awhile.

As for leaving the backpack in there for so long giving way to the fire…it does seem a bit excessive given they already had the nut job. According to a timeline on Sacbee.com it took two hours between the time they had him in custody and the time they were retrieving the backpack.

Snipe the police with… What exactly? A rifle that fit into a backpack? And even if that was the case, isn’t their job to assume some risk. We keep hearing how they put their life on the line daily. Yeah, when they can’t see the danger coming. When they see it coming, evidently they sit outside and let someone cause millions of dollars in damage, and loss of thousands of jobs.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@erino 24140 wrote:

I heard from a very reliable source that they let the mall burn because mall management refused to pay the $75 fee for fire fighter service this year.

That is some funny stuff right there!

illbnice
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 1,231
    • Total Posts - 1,284

@doclaguna 24142 wrote:

Snipe the police with… What exactly? A rifle that fit into a backpack? And even if that was the case, isn’t their job to assume some risk. We keep hearing how they put their life on the line daily. Yeah, when they can’t see the danger coming. When they see it coming, evidently they sit outside and let someone cause millions of dollars in damage, and loss of thousands of jobs.

With a handgun–any gun. The SWAT team does not just go running in blindly and tackle people. They go in TACTICALLY so they don’t DIE. Their job is to assume some risk, but not to be stupid. I can’t believe you would actually think they just should blindly storm the place.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@illbnice 24144 wrote:

With a handgun–any gun. The SWAT team does not just go running in blindly and tackle people. They go in TACTICALLY so they don’t DIE. Their job is to assume some risk, but not to be stupid. I can’t believe you would actually think they just should blindly storm the place.

Let’s see in one corner – Full body armor, tear gas, sniper rifles, etc.
    In the other corner – backpack of doom.

I guess what you are saying is 22 year old mental patient >>> entire Roseville Police Force.

I just hope my business is never taken over by a terrifying kid with a backpack. I’ll go in myself and take care of the issue rather than let him run around for hours setting fire. There was no urgency shown by these clowns. I mean seriously, they should have let mall security take care of this guy.

illbnice
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 1,231
    • Total Posts - 1,284

Well, if you ever have to send your loved one out in full SWAT gear to the unknown, I’ll pray for you. If you ever have to go to a funeral of an officer who was staked out and murdered after he retreated in order to save the life of a baby, I’ll pray for you then as well. I get that flippant sarcasm has its place, but until you’ve walked the walk, you should consider your words carefully.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@illbnice 24149 wrote:

Well, if you ever have to send your loved one out in full SWAT gear to the unknown, I’ll pray for you. If you ever have to go to a funeral of an officer who was staked out and murdered after he retreated in order to save the life of a baby, I’ll pray for you then as well. I get that flippant sarcasm has its place, but until you’ve walked the walk, you should consider your words carefully.

It’s their job to assume risk. In this case the risk was tiny, the damage done was huge because they were basically cowardly. I’m not asking them to rush an army with their wangs in their hands, but what’s the point of having a SWAT team if they are terrified of a lone nut who had a terrifying backpack.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

There was around a 2 hour period of time between apprehending him and the fire erupting. He was sitting in front of the mall handcuffed. I don’t understand why it took so long for SWAT and the bomb squad to go in and look for the backpack. They knew he was in Game Stop….wouldn’t that be where the backpack would be located. since he was barricaded in there?

I think the problem was circular-
    Bomb/SWAT can’t go in because of a fire
    FD can’t go in b/c of potential bomb

So no one was able to go in. I think the folks in command thought the sprinkler system could handle the fire so the FD had to wait around just in case, and after the sprinklers took care of the bomb folks could go in.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@newmom 24151 wrote:

There was around a 2 hour period of time between apprehending him and the fire erupting. He was sitting in front of the mall handcuffed. I don’t understand why it took so long for SWAT and the bomb squad to go in and look for the backpack. They knew he was in Game Stop….wouldn’t that be where the backpack would be located. since he was barricaded in there?

I think the problem was circular-
    Bomb/SWAT can’t go in because of a fire
    FD can’t go in b/c of potential bomb

So no one was able to go in. I think the folks in command thought the sprinkler system could handle the fire so the FD had to wait around just in case, and after the sprinklers took care of the bomb folks could go in.

Obviously you hate cops and fire fighters. 😉

Thank you for being logical. Evidently policework in Roseville will only be done now when there is minimal to no risk to the police officer.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I think there will be a lot of analyzing and studying what went wrong so it doesn’t happen again. This is a huge financial loss for a lot of people-employees, stores, taxes, etc. Someone needed to be able to take charge. I’m not saying the FD needed to go in and risk a bomb-but I don’t know how it would have taken that long to let someone act. Wasn’t there also a couple of hours between the guy going in to Game Stop and him being apprehended? So that would mean SWAT had around 4 hours before the fire became an inferno. Aren’t SWAT and the bomb squad supposed to mobilize quickly? I think no one quite knew what to do and thought the sprinklers were adequate and the mistake cost millions of dollars.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@newmom 24153 wrote:

I think there will be a lot of analyzing and studying what went wrong so it doesn’t happen again. This is a huge financial loss for a lot of people-employees, stores, taxes, etc. Someone needed to be able to take charge. I’m not saying the FD needed to go in and risk a bomb-but I don’t know how it would have taken that long to let someone act. Wasn’t there also a couple of hours between the guy going in to Game Stop and him being apprehended? So that would mean SWAT had around 4 hours before the fire became an inferno. Aren’t SWAT and the bomb squad supposed to mobilize quickly? I think no one quite knew what to do and thought the sprinklers were adequate and the mistake cost millions of dollars.

I love you this morning for having common sense.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@erino 24140 wrote:

LOL, that was a good one!

I think there will and should be an investigation into what happened. They need to figure it out and see what took place. It’s just premature for people to assume one thing unless they know for sure. Maybe the guy said he had multiple packages in the mall rigged to blow up. I have no idea either. It’s speculation.

I think most people are reluctant to criticize their own profession for a variety of reasons. It’s human nature.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@docs44 24157 wrote:

LOL, that was a good one!

I think there will and should be an investigation into what happened. They need to figure it out and see what took place. It’s just premature for people to assume one thing unless they know for sure. Maybe the guy said he had multiple packages in the mall rigged to blow up. I have no idea either. It’s speculation.

I think most people are reluctant to criticize their own profession for a variety of reasons. It’s human nature.

No one is more critical of the medical profession than me, but that’s because I want my profession to be thought of in a good light. I don’t like it when I see doctor’s advertising cosmetic procedures, or idiots on TV, etc.

Doc, do you really think the risk of going in immediately was too great?
    I can’t see how anyone could come to that conclusion.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@doclaguna 24155 wrote:

I love you this morning for having common sense.

I think I’ve entered the Twilight Zone.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

DocL I’ve never met you, but I envision the character on the tv show House

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@scarlet 24165 wrote:

DocL I’ve never met you, but I envision the character on the tv show House

Funny…
    I don’t have a drug issue though. 😉

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I have probably only watched a handful of shows, didn’t realize he had a drug issue. Only thought it was a personality issue 😉

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

House is addicted to vicodin for his knee pain. Rent last season when he went to rehab. It was good.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I guess I’ll have to breakdown and get Netflix. I use to love going into Hollywood Video and taking out three movies at a time for 14.00/month. Every weekend we would all go in and pick out our movies. I know you can do the same with netflix and have them sent, but I just don’t know what I’m in the mood for until Friday hits. action/suspense, romance or classic…..

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@doclaguna 24159 wrote:

No one is more critical of the medical profession than me, but that’s because I want my profession to be thought of in a good light. I don’t like it when I see doctor’s advertising cosmetic procedures, or idiots on TV, etc.

Doc, do you really think the risk of going in immediately was too great?
    I can’t see how anyone could come to that conclusion.

I have no idea why they did what they did. I’m just willing to wait before calling them cowards.

flame2fire
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 120
    • Total Posts - 130

DL..

Timothy McVeigh……..Uni-bomber…. 2 just “off” individuals who could kill with just a backpack. Why are so so angry that the FF and police followed proticol set in place to protect the lives of themselves and others?

Sure you can critisize, it’s just that you are doing it with such acid and vengence, with a touch or crass added for dramatic sake.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

Timothy McVeigh detonated a truck bomb, not a backpack bomb, just for clarification. He did act alone, however.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Are you sure he really acted alone?

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

lol….no I’m not. I have absolutely no expertise on Timothy McVeigh – just what I heard on the news. My point was more that he had a whole truck full of explosives, not just a backpack. And perhaps it is possible to blow up a whole mall with the contents of a backpack, I have no idea. It’s possible in the movies, right?

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

My main question is the sprinklers. That’s why I questioned this whole deal. Why didn’t they (sprinklers, not fire fighters) do their job? The mall is what, 10 years old? Shouldn’t it have a current system that should have knocked out a fire in ONE building?

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@flame2fire 24191 wrote:

DL..

Timothy McVeigh……..Uni-bomber…. 2 just “off” individuals who could kill with just a backpack. Why are so so angry that the FF and police followed proticol set in place to protect the lives of themselves and others?

Sure you can critisize, it’s just that you are doing it with such acid and vengence, with a touch or crass added for dramatic sake.

“On April 17–18, 1995, McVeigh and Nichols removed their supplies from their storage unit in Herington, Kansas, where Nichols lived. They loaded 108 bags of high-grade ammonium nitrate fertilizer weighing 50 pounds (23 kg) each, three 55-U.S.-gallon (46 imp gal; 210 l) drums of liquid nitromethane, several crates of explosive Tovex, seventeen bags of ANFO, and spools of shock tube and cannon fuse into a Ryder rental truck.”

This must be one big effing backpack to be equivalent to that bomb.
    Thanks for the laugh!

Maybe they should have stayed outside because this might have been in his backpack.

fatman_littleboy.jpg

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@erino 24192 wrote:

Timothy McVeigh detonated a truck bomb, not a backpack bomb, just for clarification. He did act alone, however.

He did not act alone, but don’t let facts get in the way.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

For DocL and the rest of the brain brigade:

I just heard on the news that the guy gave a statement that he had a device in his backpack AND they smelled kerosene when they initially went close to it. Happy?

DocL – we’re not overprotective of police/fire unless they get attacked by screw-heads like you. Makes me wish I could vote you down (sorry, DocS – DocL is over the top).

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@steveb6509 24205 wrote:

For DocL and the rest of the brain brigade:

I just heard on the news that the guy gave a statement that he had a device in his backpack AND they smelled kerosene when they initially went close to it. Happy?

DocL – we’re not overprotective of police/fire unless they get attacked by screw-heads like you. Makes me wish I could vote you down (sorry, DocS – DocL is over the top).

Whoa kerosene! Katie bar the door. That would have made an explosion about the size of an flea’s fart. A device – probably his gameboy. I’m glad Roseville pays these guys to be afraid of a guy with some kerosene.

Trust me as usual, when the post-mortem on this cluster eff is done, I will be right. Being overprotective worked real well for the 1000s of people who will be out of jobs because the cops crapped the bed.

As far as karma, just shows what a gutless individual you are. You have nothing substantial to counter my criticism so go for the little boy hide behind mommy’s skirt move.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I still question why it took so long to allow the FD to go in. I’m sure they wanted to get in there and it killed them to watch the building burn like that. I wouldn’t think kerosene is enough of a reason b/c I would think a flammable liquid and residual odor is present at most arson scenes. I understand the bomb squad had a job to do-but I don’t see how it could take hours to search a small store in the mall.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Sprinklers are not meant to fully extinguish a fire; they are meant to contain it. Heads shoot up towards the roof and down on the floor in an attempt to buy time until the FD comes in to extinguish.

I too wonder why there was not an entry made earlier. I certainly wouldn’t trust the PR department from the FD anymore than from any PD, but without expertise in those operations it’s too hard to make a call yet, if ever.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@lc 24217 wrote:

Sprinklers are not meant to fully extinguish a fire; they are meant to contain it. Heads shoot up towards the roof and down on the floor in an attempt to buy time until the FD comes in to extinguish.

I too wonder why there was not an entry made earlier. I certainly wouldn’t trust the PR department from the FD anymore than from any PD, but without expertise in those operations it’s too hard to make a call yet, if ever.

What call was there to make? Single individual with backpack. Again let’s try to imagine the most deadly thing he could have in there…

Uh, time to send SWAT team in.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Maybe he had the Quran and a Burqa in his backpack and they didn’t want to seem intolerant and upset Tom and Joy. :sarcastic

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

The deadliest shit ever:

5. Fat+Man+and+Little+Boy.jpg

Fat Man and Little Boy.

4. 3950935746_1282896877.jpg

Sharkbeartopus!

The flu virus!!!

2. flu_virus_diag.gif

Chuck Norris!!!

1. Eastpak-Rucksack-Eastpak-Orbit-KIDS-Backpack-Pink.jpg

Gahh! Don’t go in the mall!!!!

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

@doclaguna 24134 wrote:

So what you are saying is, no action will be taken if no human life is at stake. I can roll up the the Washington Monument with a backpack and the police will sit there and watch me burn it down – as long as no life is at stake?

Sea, feel free to second guess my profession. The problem with MOST police and firefighters is this inability to criticize other cops or fire fighters. I hope you are above this. You think its reasonable for an entire police department to sit outside a mall while a lone individual ran around setting it on fire? Very simple question. Or should they have assessed the risk from this single individual and went in and ended the situation in 15 minutes.

I do feel free to criticize, and I have. In this situation I am not going to jump in and criticize, because I wasn’t there and don’t have all the facts. I don’t know what happened, and only knew there was a fire because of this forum. It just irritates me when so many armchair quarterbacks jump to conclusions about any event based on the crap the media reports. These guys may very well have screwed this all up, I don’t know. I know when loss of life – not property – is at stake, we are trained to go in and take out the threat with no hesitation (active shooter). I don’t know what actual info they had, or why they did or didn’t do what they did.
    Someone close to me was in a critical incident, and the media ran with it. All the facts were not included, because it was under investigation for over a year so all involved were ordered not to talk about it. The media had a hayday. This person close to me was criticized, second-guessed, and basically blackballed for a year. When the actual facts came out over a year later, it came to light that this person actually saved a life by their actions – after being creamed in the media and all the unqualified, uninformed second-guessers. It doesn’t just go for law enforcement and fire service, it’s everything. This mall thing is apparently a big deal. I’d say many agencies will do a whole lot of investigating of facts, not speculation, and come to their conclusions.

flame2fire
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 120
    • Total Posts - 130

omg, really..it wasn’t a backpack? You guys kills me. I know it wasn’t a backpack.

Perhaps I need to be literal here. Tim McV……… a domestic terrorist who may have acted alone. NOT a al-qaeda memeber. My point was NOT the backpack, but the fear that it may be a domestic type terrorist event.

There was a reference to a kid’s backack vs. what terroists do. Also something about pimples, but I’m sure al-qaeda members may have those too.

flame2fire
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 120
    • Total Posts - 130

my vote for the next bomb sniffing dog…. It’s your job DocL. Have at it if you think backpacks are harmless in a volitile situation when facts are not %100. We’ll see how much talk you make when your limbs are gone along with all your body hair (kinky though). Besides, tell all the surivors of previous terroist attacks around the world who were sitting next to simple backpacks. Dramtic point, touche.

flame2fire
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 120
    • Total Posts - 130

and as for the Chuck Norris comment…… He is Numero Uno.

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that’s why there are no signs of life there.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can’t see Chuck Norris you may be only seconds away from death.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Looks like the fire sprinklers were turned off at some point during the fire. That’s a major screw up by someone. They said they will not release who made the order until the investigation is complete. Someone is going to get their butt reamed over this one.

http://cbs13.com/local/roseville.galleria.investigation.2.1982138.html

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

Do you guys ever get sick of me always being right? The idiots in law enforcement and fire watching should all get canned for this. Meanwhile in NYC where I’m vacationing, a single off duty cop busted a cap in someone who was trying to rob the salon where she was getting her hair done. Good thing Roseville PD was not on the case. They would have wet the chair then watched as the guy robbed the whole block.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

You’re not always right. You thought Boston would win the NBA championship and you always think USC is great when they aren’t. I don’t think the sprinklers being turned off makes you right. That seems to be a separate issue. If the sprinklers had been left on then you wouldn’t have had the opportunity to call the emergency officials cowards, because there likely would be no fire. I agree that whoever made the decision to shut off sprinklers should be fired. That’s pretty stupid. That’s separate from going into a situation where there could be a bomb.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.