fbpx

Go Fund Me Gone Wild

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

Came across this article and just can’t make any sense out of it. What is wrong with people??? A few weeks ago, a relative posted on his FB account that he set up a Go Fund Me account to build a sound room in his house. He said he would name the sound room after his wife’s grandfather who recently passed away. Anyway, what do you think about this story:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/powerball-reimbursement-fund-page-created-235504618.html

A woman by the name of Cinnamon Nicole from Cordova, TN has raised a little more than $800 in seven hours via her Powerball Reimbursement Go Fund Me page.

Nicole alleges to have spent all of her money on purchasing tickets with the assumption she would win the $1.6 billion jackpot, but soon realized the winning tickets were sold in Los Angeles, Florida and Tennessee suburbs.

Despite the chances of anyone winning the jackpot being 1 in 292.2 million, Nicole still decided to go big, and unfortunately now can’t go home because she allegedly doesn’t have any money.

Please help me and my family as we have exausted all of our funds. We spent all of our money on lottery tickets (expecting to win the 1.5 billion) and are now in dire need of cash. With your small donation of at least $1.00, a like and one share, I’m certain that we will be able to pick ourselves up from the trenches of this lost and spend another fortune trying to hit it big again! PLEASE, won’t you help a family in need. DONATE NOW.

For your charitable donations, Nicole promises to make you her #MCM or #WCW. Yet, despite the gall of the Go Fund Me Page, some users simply weren’t in support of her attempts.

Sonya Hagans quoted new viral internet star, Michelle Dobyne and wrote “Not tuhday” while Kenyatta Gibson was a bit more spirited in her response.

“Guuuuuuuuuuurl…….I ‘SWEATERGAAAAAWD’ if I see one person give you one rusty copper penny I will spend ten times what you spent on lottery tickets on PLANE tickets to fly to their humble abode so spoiled in riches that they can afford to make it rain on Sweet Brown like ratchet humans such as you who choose to spend their cash on Remy, Flaming Hot Cheetos, VOSS Water and Powerball , and commence to kicking every single one of their asses!!!”

Can you really be mad at her for trying?

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Wow, kind of taken back. Hey if people want to spend their own money on a funny post on GoFundMe, I guess its up to the person. Crazy stories huh.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@divotmaker 123108 wrote:

C
    [/COLOR]
    Can you really be mad at her for trying?

The answer is YES! You can get mad at them for trying. Being uneducated and having a sense of entitlement is a bad combination. Because she spent all her money on powerball tickets I am suppose to feel sorry for her? NO WAY!

Lesson learned… The hard way.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

This is why I’m opposed to state sponsored lotteries. They are disproportionately played by those who can least afford to play.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Most of the stuff I see on Go Fund Me type pages is so stupid. Crap like this, or the sound room you mentioned, or other stuff people ask us to pay for while they spend their own money on other stuff.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

People raise money for THEIR real estate projects that way! I don’t get it at all. There’s even some webinars from legit CRE companies on how to do it.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@bainc 123125 wrote:

This is why I’m opposed to state sponsored lotteries. They are disproportionately played by those who can least afford to play.

I read an article that said the Lotto “Preys on the poor.” I think that is misleading. Statistically, I think people with less money buy more tickets, but I don’t think the lotto is purposely “preying” on poor people. They make their own decisions. And if they think a “get rich” scheme is going to work, I don’t blame the lotto, I blame the people. If you have a few bucks and want to gamble, that’s your choice, but if you are spending money that should go to food, clothing, housing, etc… Then you are making a bad financial decision and that is probably why you are in the situation you are in. Harsh.. but true..

I am still baffled by these Go Fund Me Pages. Who is sitting at home giving ANY money to someone who wants to build a sound room? Or Blew their money on lotto? I wouldn’t give a penny.

If something happens out of your control and you want to create a gofundme and get friends to help, OK. But the entitlement and greed of some people. just WOW!!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Being the admin of the pets page I see it all the time. Someone wants money for their dog who needs surgery. I just pass it along. The city of Elk Grove animal control page even had a go fund me thing and I asked why are you raising money for a shelter that isn’t even approved yet? It seemed stupid to me. Hardly anyone donated to it.

One of the food trucks is doing a kickstarter campaign, which is like go fund me, because they want to raise money to build a place here in Elk Grove. They had an event last night at the Falls Event Center. it’s for the Culinerdy Cruiser.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Does anyone get a piece of these enterprises they help fund?

Julia
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 61
    • Total Posts - 65

I completely agree that the GoFundMe thing has gone crazy. There are of course very legitimate requests- unexpected funeral expenses for example. But there are many stupid ones. I have a friend my age (50) who never had kids but has experienced a successful professional career. She and her finance would like to adopt so they set up a GoFundMe to raise money for that and she keeps re-posting it on Facebook (it’s still at 0$ btw). Really? I’ve spent the last 23 years paying for MY OWN 3 children and am now putting them through college while you’ve been kid free and able to work and save as much as you want and you want me to pay for your future kid? I’m appalled every time I see it and truly hope no one contributes. Yeah, it’s gone a little crazy for sure.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

At least with Kickstarter you are purchasing a product in advance to help pay for the production. And other fundraising sites you get something for donating. Maybe some GoFundme requests are the similar, but most of these seem like a “GIVE ME MONEY” request.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@CJay916 123140 wrote:

I read an article that said the Lotto “Preys on the poor.” I think that is misleading. Statistically, I think people with less money buy more tickets, but I don’t think the lotto is purposely “preying” on poor people. They make their own decisions. And if they think a “get rich” scheme is going to work, I don’t blame the lotto, I blame the people. If you have a few bucks and want to gamble, that’s your choice, but if you are spending money that should go to food, clothing, housing, etc… Then you are making a bad financial decision and that is probably why you are in the situation you are in. Harsh.. but true..

I’ve read some stats about the lottery marketing heavily in poor communities so they are preying on the poor. I understand it’s their choice but I don’t like the idea of the government encouraging irresponsible behavior. It’s like if the gov’t was out there saying please smoke so we can fund our schools.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

They could also realize that marketing in more affluent areas would be a waste of money and time, but I see your point.

If schools got money from Tobacco, I would encourage smoking. JK

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@julia 123145 wrote:

I completely agree that the GoFundMe thing has gone crazy. There are of course very legitimate requests- unexpected funeral expenses for example. But there are many stupid ones. I have a friend my age (50) who never had kids but has experienced a successful professional career. She and her finance would like to adopt so they set up a GoFundMe to raise money for that and she keeps re-posting it on Facebook (it’s still at 0$ btw). Really? I’ve spent the last 23 years paying for MY OWN 3 children and am now putting them through college while you’ve been kid free and able to work and save as much as you want and you want me to pay for your future kid? I’m appalled every time I see it and truly hope no one contributes. Yeah, it’s gone a little crazy for sure.

Stuff like that makes me sick. No I don’t want to help you pay for your lifestyle or adopting a child. It takes a lot of nerve to even post that stuff.

A few months ago someone posted on our pets page that they wanted to set up a shelter and started a go fund me page. I questioned her on if she had any experience doing that and how would anyone know the money would go to that? So I deleted it. Not going to give some random person money for that. I looked at her FB page and there is no way I would have trusted her.

diyaner
    • Topics - 7
    • Replies - 65
    • Total Posts - 72

This woman might be trying to capitalize on the Powerball frenzy. Who knows if she spent any money on tickets. She might be just trying to see if she can get a few bucks.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I saw another one on FB last night. It’s in Sacramento. This one is a little more legit, but still seems kind of strange. A young couple, I think they are 21 or so, they have a baby. The father is going through a stem cell transplant because he has leukemia. I guess the procedure will make him sterile. They want to have more kids they are doing a go fund me campaign to raise money so have his sperm frozen. They need $500. Don’t you have family that can help? If you don’t have $500 should be worried about having more kids. Plus what he is going through is very serious. I would worry about his future first before thinking about having more kids. My wife and I went through something similar 16 years ago when she was diagnosed with cancer at 27. We knew we wanted kids at some point, but hadn’t really thought about when. So we had to make a decision on whether to have her eggs frozen before undergoing treatment or taking a chance that she might not be able to have kids. We chose to worry about the cancer treatment first and then kids later and figured if it was meant to be then it would work out. Thankfully it did, so I understand what they are going through.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@EGL Admin 123182 wrote:

If you don’t have $500 should be worried about having more kids.

That’s my first thought. But then again, I probably have a different outlook on financial planning than they do.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I saw that Go Fund Me pulled the Powerball lady’s request.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@divotmaker 123187 wrote:

That’s my first thought. But then again, I probably have a different outlook on financial planning than they do.

It’s going to be another family on the taxpayer payroll and then they will complain they can’t make ends meet. My niece is 21 and she has a couple of friends who have babies or are pregnant. My first thought is, your life is screwed now. They won’t finish college and will be stuck at low paying jobs, that is if they go back to work, or they will be on assistance. Luckily my niece is a little smarter. She wants to finish college and become a nurse. Her parents had kids when they were young and spent the last 20+ years struggling financially. Now that all 3 kids are adults and one is out of the house they can finally save some money. To their credit, they didn’t take any government assistance. They dealt with some serious health challenges as my brother in law has had two kidney transplants in 15 years. They had some serious financial issues because of it, but they kept it together and are doing better now.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

I think the whole GoFundMe, KickStarter, etc craze had a good intention when they started but have been overrun by folks trying to take advantage of other people’s good intentions. Seems similar to many other things (maybe I’m just getting cynical). It reminds me of many government programs where they are established with the best of intentions and them get bastardized into something that doesn’t even really look remotely like what it was intended to be. Don’t forget that all these groups take a cut of the donations as well. Even if it is a really good cause, the GoFundMe folks themselves take a larger cut than you would think.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

I am a fan of GoFundMe. I love the idea of lots of people being able to give a little and make a big difference. It doesn’t really bother me that things like the powerball lady’s request are out there because I wouldn’t choose to contribute. There have been several times when someone has passed away and I’ve contributed to a fund to help the family with funeral expenses. I’d so much rather help make that time a tiny bit less of a burden by helping with the costs than spend $50 on flowers that will just die.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy