fbpx

Goodbye Food Source; Hello Hobby Lobby

This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  moppingtheater 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

Chris told me this just a while ago. Do you think Elk Grove can support another craft store? I’m not so sure. We have JoAnns, Michaels. The small scrapbook stores are long gone. Scrapbooking was the rage 5 -10 years ago. What is the hot craft trend now? Knitting? Just about every big box store sells yarn. Recently I have heard people talk about sewing. Is sewing making a comeback? I used to make my own clothes but I have a feeling today’s sewing is probably oriented towards home decor types of things./ Nothing wrong with that, I may overhaul some of my home furnishings at some point. Quilting? With the weather we have had lately we need all the quilts we can get.

Still I hateto see a business establishment that pays decent wages close up and one come in that probably pays minimum wage. Working in a craft store may be fun and employee discounts good but I doublt if the pay is going to pay the rent or put food on the table.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I saw that too. Not sure that is a plus for the city other than it means it will not be vacant.

http://m.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2013/01/15/hobby-lobby-will-replace-supermarket.html?ana=e_sac_bn&r=full

Hobby Lobby will replace supermarket in Elk Grove

by Kelly Johnson

Sacramento Business Journal

Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 5:38pm PST
    Tweet
    LinkedIn
    Email

Craft supplies retailer Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. has signed a lease to open its third store in the region — this one in Elk Grove, real estate sources say.

The arrival of Hobby Lobby will mean the closure of a Food Source discount grocery store at Bond Road and East Stockton Boulevard. When Hobby Lobby expressed interest in space at the Marketplace 99 shopping center, West Sacramento-based Raley’s Inc. decided it would close its Food Source outlet there, Raley’s spokesman John Segale said.

The location, he said, is “not a good fit for the grocery store’s long-term plans.” Segale said it wasn’t yet clear when the store would close and how many workers would be affected.

Hobby Lobby committed to the site — which measures about 60,000 square feet — last week, say real estate sources familiar with the deal.

Hobby Lobby representatives could not be immediately reached. Representatives of Donahue Schriber, the shopping center landlord, was not ready to offer comment.

Hobby Lobby, an Oklahoma City-based chain of more than 500 crafting and home decor stores nationally, entered the market in 2011 with a store in Roseville. The retailer occupies a former Mervyn’s store of 76,000 square feet at 1815 Douglas Blvd.

Last September the Sacramento Business Journal reported that Hobby Lobby will open its second store in Sacramento in the Kohl’s-anchored shopping center across from Arden Fair mall. In that center, the former and long-vacant Room Source building at Exposition Boulevard and Arden Way was demolished to make room for a 55,000-square-foot Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby is a rare retailer these days that wants vacant or under-performing sites as large as 50,000 to 60,000 square feet. Especially as some traditional supermarkets are going dark, retailers willing to backfill spaces of this size improve real estate vacancy levels, create jobs and otherwise boost the economy. In the Elk Grove case, however, Hobby Lobby does displace an existing retailer.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

What types of items does Hobby Lobby sell that can’t be found at JoAnns or Michael’s? As a fairly new retiree I guess I should be jumping for joy but I have had personal experience with a crafter who went crazy making things and I am trying to figure out what the heck to do with them LOL!

Raven
    • Topics - 202
    • Replies - 2,442
    • Total Posts - 2,644

This is very good news for Elk Grove and crafters. Our Michael’s is the smallest in the region and only carries a fraction of what the other Michael’s carries. I wanted to make candles last year and neither Michael’s nor Joann’s carries candle making supplies. I went to the Michael’s in the north area to buy what I needed, spending my tax dollars in Sacramento. Scrapbooking is still very, very popular. I think the scrapbooking stores we had went out of business because they were expensive. They were pretty much charging double of what Joann’s and Michael’s charges. Jewelry making has also gotten very popular. I’m leaning now towards tile and glass work. Neither store carries supplies for those those crafts. Hobby Lobby does. I very rarely go to Michael’s because it’s small and crowed. Any crafter in Elk Grove can tell you that both stores do a lot of business and we can definitely handle a bigger store like Hobby Lobby. Every time I go to Joann’s, there is a pretty long line at the fabric cutting table, so people still do a lot of sewing.

Food Source is like a ghost town. Every time I go to that store, there is hardly anybody there. I’m surprised they are still open. They have good prices on their produce, but that’s about it. If you want a piece of meat sliced, you have to have it done before 3:00 p.m., their butchers won’t slice meat after 3:00. I’m sorry to see it go, but I’m very excited about getting a Hobby Lobby.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

I for one am thrilled to hear it. They carry some craft supplies that Michaels and JoAnns no longer carry and they also have material and home fashions among a ton of other things. I will be happy to not drive to Roseville for that much needed item. And it will create jobs even at minimun wage it’s a great job for a teen or retired person looking for something part time. They are also owned by a family who insists that they be closed on Sundays for church and family. Gotta respect that.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Michaels and Joanns stopped carrying soap making supplies too. The fabric dept is very small at HL so I will still depend on Joanns for that. And yes, the smaller scrapbook stores were very expensive, Michaels and Joanns prices probably help put the little guys under.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I think its a great idea, but wonder what will happen to JoAnns now? There won’t be a need for two similar stores so close in proximity. I thought it was more a RC Hobbyist kind of place. I wish them well, and hear they are great and have a great selection, but it concerns me for JoAnns, and I now have a serious fear that it will put Michael’s out of business. And that location is very large. What are they going to fill it with? I will definitely check it out when they arrive, which I hear is very soon, but the way things work in this town baffles me.

omgnate
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 478
    • Total Posts - 479

Hobby Lobby does go deeper into crafts than either of the other two chains..I look forward to them coming..

Raven
    • Topics - 202
    • Replies - 2,442
    • Total Posts - 2,644

Our Michael’s is the smallest in the whole area and they only carry a small fraction of what the other Michael’s carries. But I honestly don’t think Hobby Lobby will hurt them. There are still plenty of people on that side of town that still refuse to come over to this side of town. Joann’s will still be o.k., they will still hold in fabric sales. Have you ever seen how many people are in line for that cutting counter??? When I need fabric, I usually go get a number and THEN go look for my fabric.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

The Hobby Lobby’s I have bren in and that’s been 2 are HUGE. Also, I don’t think it’ll hurt JoAnns as JoAnns has a very large fabric department and Hobby Lobby’s fabric department is really, really small. The stores to me are both very different in what type of merchandise they carry. Some similar items but still different. If I were Michaels though, I’d be very worried.

Karen
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 504
    • Total Posts - 519

Yay! I love Hobby Lobby and have made trips up to Roseville just for HL. They have a lot of home decor that will appeal to more than just crafters. They also have more party supply stuff than Michaels or Joanns.

I agree with previous posters, Joanns will likely be fine but Michaels may have some troubles. Go to Folsom’s Michaels then go to ours. It’s small, crowded and has a far more reduced selection. I also don’t like that parking lot and their coupon policy was really inconsistent. I only went there for things I couldn’t get elsewhere and Hobby Lobby will take care of those needs.

I’ll also go to HomeGoods less often. I like the selection better at HL and they have so many sales that their prices are often lower.

JENuine
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 36
    • Total Posts - 41

Does anyone know if Hobby Lobby does coupons like JoAnn’s does? I love my JoAnn’s coupons!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Looks like its a popular store. Hope it works out and stays in business.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

HL has a 40% coupon out every week but I get it through email so now is the time to go and sign up online, they also have an app for your phone. I have JoAnns, Michaels and Hobby Lobby as apps on my phone so I don’t have to carry around the ads.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Replacing a grocery store with daily shoppers with a relatively narrow and infrequent shopping niche category is rarely a plus for the shopping center. Hobby Lobby has a very good reputation, but they will have a fraction of the traffic of even a slow grocery tenant. I think this is just a continuation of the shrinking of the Raley group and the closing of this FS and opening of the new Walmarts are surely not a coincidence.

This is why I’ve always built strip centers on an intersection. The streets are our anchor. We certainly miss some tenants who prefer to be in anchored centers and we don’t achieve critical mass status, but we never become obsolete as long as there’s traffic driving by that can see our signs. I don’t know if anyone in that center has a co-tenancy clause but if they do you can bet they’ll either be gone shortly or their rent will be cut in half as all volumes will drop. I’m pretty sure the owners are not happy but they don’t have a glaring vacancy either.

Raven
    • Topics - 202
    • Replies - 2,442
    • Total Posts - 2,644

@lc 72711 wrote:

Replacing a grocery store with daily shoppers with a relatively narrow and infrequent shopping niche category is rarely a plus for the shopping center. Hobby Lobby has a very good reputation, but they will have a fraction of the traffic of even a slow grocery tenant. I think this is just a continuation of the shrinking of the Raley group and the closing of this FS and opening of the new Walmarts are surely not a coincidence.

This is why I’ve always built strip centers on an intersection. The streets are our anchor. We certainly miss some tenants who prefer to be in anchored centers and we don’t achieve critical mass status, but we never become obsolete as long as there’s traffic driving by that can see our signs. I don’t know if anyone in that center has a co-tenancy clause but if they do you can bet they’ll either be gone shortly or their rent will be cut in half as all volumes will drop. I’m pretty sure the owners are not happy but they don’t have a glaring vacancy either.

Have you ever been in Joann’s or Michael’s? Do you know how busy the stores in Elk Grove are? One thing for sure, there is no such thing as a quick trip into Joann’s. 😉

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I am so happy for Hobby Lobby. We went to our home town over the holidays, and they have one. It was the first time I have ever seen or heard of one. Lol we spent more time in that store ! I was in overload happiness in craft land. Our Micheals has been kind of short of supplies for a couple of years.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Those stores are not as busy as grocery stores

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

How many times a week does one shop for groceries, and how much of your monthly budget do you spend on them? Now, do that math for crafts/hobbies. That’s the difference. It’s low dollars and infrequent purchases for most people. They belong in a power center, not in a center built for a grocery anchor. Usually they go close to a Target or other GM store.

Raven
    • Topics - 202
    • Replies - 2,442
    • Total Posts - 2,644

I’m happy Hobby Lobby is coming, so now I don’t have to drive out to Sacramento to get some of the supplies I need. And that’s all that matters!!!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Of course it is.

The Hallmark over there is closing too.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

I think what it ultimately gets down to is the internet has been a major culprit of store closures (not grocery stores but other types) I am one of those who prefers to do my shopping at home with a mouse rather than deal with the hassle of getting out. I have fresh produce delivered to me twice a month so I don’t need to do much produce shopping. I have some frozen goods delivered by Schwans. The remainder of my shopping I do at BelAir and Sprouts. The only downside to internet shopping are the outrageous shipping charges but you can often find deals in that regard as well as deals on merchandise.

The demise of bookstores (first Borders and now Barnes & Noble) are a classic example of internet shopping squeezing out the brick and mortar. That plus e-readers.

Raven
    • Topics - 202
    • Replies - 2,442
    • Total Posts - 2,644

I just did a google search of sporting goods stores in the Elk Grove area. Do we really need 10 sporting goods stores??? So there really shouldn’t be a stink because Elk Grove is going to have a third craft store. Besides, look at the jobs it’s going to bring.

I very rarely shop on the internet. I like to get out and go to the stores. I want to see an item, touch it, examine it. As for produce, I would rather pick my own out, and in the summer, I grow my own. I don’t buy a lot of frozen foods, too many preservatives, I like cooking from scratch.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I don’t think anyone is making a stink. Just that it doesn’t replace the volume of a grocery store. It’s better than a vacant store that’s for sure.

morgandog
    • Topics - 16
    • Replies - 202
    • Total Posts - 218

Side note…Hobby Lobby is going to lose 1,000,000 a day in fines with Obamacare. They are against Obamacare forcing them to supply Brth control and the Abortion pill within their insurance plan. They said they will not be involved due to their religious beliefs. Cant quite remember the exact details but it was news a month ago and cause quite a stir.
    Now back to topic!

illbnice
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 1,231
    • Total Posts - 1,284

The Hobby Lobby in Roseville is massive. The first time I strolled through, I had the radio commercial running through my head about getting lost in a big home improvement store. I am not a crafter, but my kids often need this & that for school. They have EVERYTHING and more. They also have a lot of home decorating items and small furniture. I do not think it will affect JoAnn because they are primarily a fabric/sewing store. My 1st trip to Hobby Lobby was for large buttons. I walked around this massive store and found a tiny display of buttons in their small sewing section. I told the employee, “surely you have more buttons.” She laughed and said that was it.

You can print a 40% off one item coupon online–always.

itsallinthepits
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 684
    • Total Posts - 737

My kid already did her 4th grade mission project, but I have to assume that this Hobby Lobby place will have a better selection than what I found at Michael’s. I had to order a kit online and a bunch of other accessories. Man, that project was expensive. For the future 4th graders, I hope they have a good “mission” department. I don’t buy too many things online, mostly because I like to see things and possibly touch things in my hands before I buy them. I know some sites have awesome return policies, but I just don’t want to deal with the hassle of returning something. I would much rather look at the product, try it on if it’s shoes or clothes, etc.

Anyway, my kid’s teacher is a remote control plane junkie and he told me the same thing that morgandog mentioned. I don’t get it. If companies are forced to provide birth control for their employees, then I wish they were also forced to provide orthodontia insurance. My kid’s mouth is costing me a fortune out of pocket. ;-o

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

I can tell you already, that the sewing department isn’t very large at Hobby Lobby and so JoAnn’s will not lose any of my business. And I also know that I am in the minority but I visit craft stores WAY more than the normal person as I am always doing something new. So with that said, sorry to those who do not want to see this store here, but it will be my new best friend….

Raven
    • Topics - 202
    • Replies - 2,442
    • Total Posts - 2,644

@HusterNotary 72803 wrote:

I can tell you already, that the sewing department isn’t very large at Hobby Lobby and so JoAnn’s will not lose any of my business. And I also know that I am in the minority but I visit craft stores WAY more than the normal person as I am always doing something new. So with that said, sorry to those who do not want to see this store here, but it will be my new best friend….

That is because you are a craft vendor just like I am. That’s what we do, shop a lot at craft stores. I’m always looking at new crafts.

Pits, our Michael’s is the very smallest in the region. Had you driven to Natomas, you would have been able to find the items you needed for your daughter’s project.

moppingtheater
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 1
    • Total Posts - 1

Got one 60% coupon. I am not using it hope dat will be useful to someone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1467[/ATTACH]

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

Hobby Lobby is the only place that I have found doll stands.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.