fbpx
Advertisements

"I hate white people." – An odd experience in Portland…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  SteveB6509 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

So I was enjoying a nice trip to Portland this weekend, when I had a very unusual experience. I had just hit a record store and was walking back to my hotel by the waterfront and I see this black guy, probably about mid 20s, clean cut, well groomed, dressed in a plaid button down, some jeans, with a back pack on his back. He’s sitting at a corner, shouting across the street, I thought to maybe to friends (there was a group of people across the street.) So I think nothing of it, my spider sense is just slightly on, but he’s not dressed like a thug, or looks like he’s mentally ill. Frankly he looks like a stocky Urkel.
    The next thing I know he runs up on me, and pretends to throw a punch at me.
    I jerk at of the way, and say, “What the hell?”
    He’s just sitting there steaming – “I ****ing hate white people.”
    Now back in the day, if someone did this to me, I would have thrown my shit on the ground and started scrapping. But I’m really working on trying to control my temper, and work on being a more reasonable grownup. I can’t keep acting like a street kid with nothing to lose forever.
    So, me being me, ask “Why?”
    He can barely verbalize. He shouts something like, “Why? Slavery, racism!”
    Meanwhile he’s backed up a bit, which is good. And now I’m going into my new zen mode. I tell him he doesn’t know anything about me. I tell him he’s got the wrong guy if he thinks I’m a racist. I grew up with people of all colors. And furthermore, I tell him he better get control of his anger, because it will be his ruin,

Such a strange encounter. I’m not sure what he wanted. Did he want me to get in a fight with him? Honestly that wouldn’t have happened unless I felt trapped or he put a hand on me for real. Did he want to see if I was going to run off screaming? I wasn’t going to show any fear. If I needed to beat feet, I’m pretty sure I could outrun him as well. But on the way home I was thinking, what a total asshole. If he pulls this shit with the wrong person he is going to get his ass kicked in. Furthermore, if he pulls this shit with people, he’s contributing to stereotypes of the “angry young black male.” Just a very weird story from the city.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

And I hate to say it, but the black community will somehow explain away his behavior as he is disenfranchised or something like that. It’s time for each person to take responsibility for their actions.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

I would be careful describing a monolithic “black community.” I just don’t get his behavior and what his goal was. If he wanted to rob me, he was going about it an odd way. If he was mentally ill, he was the most put together mentally ill person ever. I think he just wanted to **** with someone. I doubt he expected the response he got. Like I said I used to like to escalate shit like this. Now I like to keep calm, its even better “trolling.” I was riding my bike a couple months back and some woman 2nd in line to turn right was yelling out her window for the woman in front of her to turn. When she got up next to me, she was still ranting and cursing to no one in particular. I told her to calm down, all that anger wasn’t hurting anyone by herself, and she cursed me out. I think staying cool makes these kind of angry people (not a racial comment) more upset. It ruins their world view that they are victims.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Maybe he didn’t like your music. 🙂

Good for you for not escalating it. I would probably would have just kept walking or stepped around him. He was either mentally ill or just messing with you. I like messing with people who are angry too. A lady at the grocery store was irate over something and being rude. I said calm fonr it’s not that big of a deal. She did not like that. Bitter ugly woman. She’s either a community activist or poster on EGO. 🙂

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

You mentioned he could barely verbalize, possibly a limited IQ – and can only express what he has been exposed to in his surroundings. Maybe what you were hearing is actually what he hears dad say? And being a “more reasonable grownup” is a great quality to strive for 🙂

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@scarlet 98076 wrote:

You mentioned he could barely verbalize, possibly a limited IQ – and can only express what he has been exposed to in his surroundings. Maybe what you were hearing is actually what he hears dad say? And being a “more reasonable grownup” is a great quality to strive for 🙂

What I meant was he was angry, he didn’t look slow witted. Remember I work in medicine, I can spot someone who is impaired, high, mentally ill, mentally retarded. He was none of the above. That’s what made it so odd. I’ve been approached or accosted by drunks a million times in the city.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

I suspect you were witnessing an indignation high. We produce the chemistry internally and like other forms of addiction, it takes more and more each time to satisfy. Eventually it takes us so far that we do something stupid and get hurt.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@adiffer 98079 wrote:

I suspect you were witnessing an indignation high. We produce the chemistry internally and like other forms of addiction, it takes more and more each time to satisfy. Eventually it takes us so far that we do something stupid and get hurt.

Can we somehow blame that in white people? 🙂

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

heh. Not a chance. Indignation addiction can afflict anyone. Righteous Indignation addiction is a later stage of it.

Next time you see someone inviting you to-get-mad-as-hell-and-not-take-it-anymore, beware. They are a pusher.

The guess is that this is an attempt at an endorphin high, but lots of people refuse to use the term ‘addiction’ when we produce the drug internally.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

It’s ok that he hates white people. we can still love you back.. 🙂 good freedom of speech. and good job Doc enjoying your trip and not getting engaged to his hostility.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Sounds like you threw him for a loop with the way you responded. Good job!

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

He was probably just being honest and speaking for many others, and he does live in an environment that has always encouraged being a little outspoken and weird.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.