fbpx
Advertisements

If you could start over, what careers would you choose?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

Thought I’d start a thread contrary to jobs you wouldn’t want. The job/career market is a lot different today than when I started in the early 70s. I’ve had a great career and it’s worked out well, but I would not do it today. My first project took eight months from closing on the land, through building, to tenant move in, and I think I had $25K at risk–the rest was borrowed. Today it’s a two-three year process and your check writing includes more zeros. The government has all but taken over the process, and it’s just not fun anymore. Plus, it’s really hard to make any money now. If I were 21… there are at least two things I’d strongly consider.

Internet Marketing–lots of hype about this, but I’ve done better than I imagined with the two ventures I have. I could do a lot more if I just worked it. If you wanted to start with a goal of $10K a month clear, you could get there pretty quickly with several approaches. The people that often do the best are spammers. They can make up to $1M a year if they work really hard and have the right contacts. Very sleazy work but starting with a list of 10K+ emails they can rake in some good bank. You make your money by selling emails, primarily. I prefer the cleaner way of affiliate selling, and the beauty of that is it goes to auto pilot after a year or two, then you pick another vertical, build it, rinse and repeat. It is really hard work at first, but it’s real and quite profitable. This is what I’d do if I were young and more ambitious than I am now.

Tug/Pilot Boat Captain–this is an extremely high paying career, and you have powerful unions that prop up wages and provide thuggery when needed to keep those big dollars flowing your way. It’s lonesome work and often transient, and usually not good for family people. Still, I’d strongly consider going through the Merchant Marine Academy in Vallejo, and working up to captain and even owning a boat. You can work anywhere you like where there’s work available, overseas if you choose to (I would not), and the senior pilots make either side of $500K a year. It can be very dangerous work in bad weather and conditions, and you’re not always working with the best people, but for the right person it’s a pretty cool job. If you’re lucky, you can land a job in a port in SoCal and live anywhere, fly in for a few weeks, work, then go home and rest until you want to work again.

How about you? Your dream career is……??

tomwaltman
      • Topics - 96
      • Replies - 6,770
      • Total Posts - 6,866

I would like to have been involved in the music industry. The creation side. I played the guitar and piano as a kid, but I didn’t have any great love for it. Now that I understand the process better, I can see how to love it, and I would have liked to have known those things when I was younger. All of my teachers were old school, repetitive muscle memory types, and they took the joy out without teaching any understanding of the process.

Not sure I could be a musician, but I would have loved to work in recording.

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

I don’t know I’m still deciding. I wouldn’t mind and still might go into the investigation field. More along the lines of investigation in the medical field.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

If I had to do it over I would say being a firefighter.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Let’s try this again.

doclaguna
      • Topics - 216
      • Replies - 5,940
      • Total Posts - 6,156

What I don’t get to be a cop anymore? No fair. I was looking forward to my retirement!

doclaguna
      • Topics - 216
      • Replies - 5,940
      • Total Posts - 6,156

Other choices would be house husband. Just think of the miles I could put on my bike!!!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

WOW… DocL must have more influence on here than I do…

He insults, calls people names, rants, and gets freedom to post whatever he wants…

I do the same and DELETED!!!

:stir::oops:

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn’t work for anyone. Ever.
      I would go strictly entrepreneurial and starve during failures in order to learn from them.
      My focus area would be private, targeted education/training with both contact time and writing components.

doclaguna
      • Topics - 216
      • Replies - 5,940
      • Total Posts - 6,156

@CJay916 111375 wrote:

He insults, calls people names, rants, and gets freedom to post whatever he wants…

Dude, you should be thanking DocS for saving you from yourself, not complaining.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@CJay916 111375 wrote:

I deleted a bunch of posts. I deleted every post after #4. Then you guys posted more and I deleted more. While a good pissing match can be enjoyable sometimes I think we exceeded the quota yesterday and another one today will just turn more people off I think.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

@doclaguna 111377 wrote:

Dude, you should be thanking DocS for saving you from yourself, not complaining.

:blahblah: Always got to get the last word.

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

A kept woman. 🙂

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

caged woman? 8)

joy
      Participant
      • Topics - 99
      • Replies - 3,934
      • Total Posts - 4,033

@EGL Admin 111380 wrote:

…..While a good pissing match can be enjoyable sometimes I think we exceeded the quota yesterday and another one today will just turn more people off I think.

fblike

violarose
      • Topics - 106
      • Replies - 2,959
      • Total Posts - 3,065

I would like to own a quaint tea shop. Or I would like to own a coffee shop that has an indoor child place where you can bring your child in & they can play with a qualified adult, and pexi glass would be in-between so you and your child could see each other.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@violarose 111409 wrote:

I would like to own a quaint tea shop. Or I would like to own a coffee shop that has an indoor child place where you can bring your child in & they can play with a qualified adult, and pexi glass would be in-between so you and your child could see each other.

So kind of like a prison? 🙂

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

No, because in prison you can actually make money, even if it’s only $.80 a day or whatever they get.

tomwaltman
      • Topics - 96
      • Replies - 6,770
      • Total Posts - 6,866

With the cost of coffee nowadays, it is cheaper to just put them in private school…

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Or prison.

MrsKaysSweetTreats
      • Topics - 20
      • Replies - 108
      • Total Posts - 128

I actually did start over ,2 years ago. I have been a Registered Nurse for 20 years and always wanted to start my own business. Turned 40 and said Why Not? 2 years later here I am still with my own business. Happy with my choice 🙂

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

Way to go. 8)

I have a great deal of respect for nurses, but the ones I met in the hospital last time weren’t exactly the happiest humans on the planet. We all needed them doing what they were doing for us, but I couldn’t quite imagine how they would want to do it for long.

norules
      Participant
      • Topics - 91
      • Replies - 530
      • Total Posts - 621

I always wanted to be financial planner in the sense of not necessarily investments only, but helping people plan their finances with what they make. I don’t think I would be popular because it would involve making cuts and sacrifices for awhile to get back on your feet. I guess it would be financial education. How to stop spending all the time.

Bainc
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 892
      • Total Posts - 901

@norules 111508 wrote:

I always wanted to be financial planner in the sense of not necessarily investments only, but helping people plan their finances with what they make. I don’t think I would be popular because it would involve making cuts and sacrifices for awhile to get back on your feet. I guess it would be financial education. How to stop spending all the time.

Same here. Maybe I will someday. I do have a finance degree but when I graduated from college the thought of scamming people to “invest” with me wasoff putting. Talking about life insurance companies, high fee brokerages, or sub prime mortgage lenders. I enjoy the personal side of personal finance.

doclaguna
      • Topics - 216
      • Replies - 5,940
      • Total Posts - 6,156

@norules 111508 wrote:

This should be mandatory education in high school, along with a cultural shift toward delayed gratification.

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

I agree with the delayed gratification thing, but I suspect the financial planning being described is going to be taken over the software agents soon. Once we displace most of the cash economy, the agents will have the data they need to construct predictive and actual budgets. I know people need help in this area, but it might make more sense to write the tools that would be part of the human/computer collaboration.

norules
      Participant
      • Topics - 91
      • Replies - 530
      • Total Posts - 621

@doclaguna 111511 wrote:

This should be mandatory education in high school, along with a cultural shift toward delayed gratification.

It used to be given in high school. Taught how to balance check books, etc. Now, with ATM cards very few update their checkbooks. That is why the banks link your savings to your checking accounts for overdraft protection. You keep spending without realizing that you are overdrawn and then they charge you.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

I took Business Math and Accounting high school. That taught me a lot about bookkeeping and finances. I use quicken and quickbooks software to track all of our stuff. I think I am doing 5 separate entities. Personal, business, office, the website and family partnership. If I die my wife is screwed. 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

@norules 111525 wrote:

It used to be given in high school. Taught how to balance check books, etc. Now, with ATM cards very few update their checkbooks. That is why the banks link your savings to your checking accounts for overdraft protection. You keep spending without realizing that you are overdrawn and then they charge you.

Business Finance is still taught in all High Schools, at least in EGUSD. Some schools also have accounting.

Problem is, Business Finance which teaches students about checking account, loans, principal, interest, etc is not mandatory. Seniors have to take a math class their senior year, therefore Business Finance is the class that Seniors take when they don’t want to take Pre-Cal, Trig, or Stats…

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

@CJay916 111538 wrote:

Business Finance is still taught in all High Schools, at least in EGUSD. Some schools also have accounting.

Problem is, Business Finance which teaches students about checking account, loans, principal, interest, etc is not mandatory. Seniors have to take a math class their senior year, therefore Business Finance is the class that Seniors take when they don’t want to take Pre-Cal, Trig, or Stats…

See, that’s the problem. Those business finance classes, even when I was in high school back in the dark ages, was targeted to those not continuing on with education. There wasn’t any room to take it because of the math requirements for college. I agree it should be a mandatory class for everyone. I also think it would be cool if college professors that teach (most, not all, do), had to take just one class on how to teach. To my knowledge, no such class exists.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

@LC 111543 wrote:

See, that’s the problem. Those business finance classes, even when I was in high school back in the dark ages, was targeted to those not continuing on with education. There wasn’t any room to take it because of the math requirements for college. I agree it should be a mandatory class for everyone. I also think it would be cool if college professors that teach (most, not all, do), had to take just one class on how to teach. To my knowledge, no such class exists.

Agreed. A class that teaches personal finance (budgets, balancing check book, loans, etc), resume writing, job interview, and other “soft skills” that employers look for.

Some classes will teach some of these topics, but unfortunately not all students will enroll in those classes

Many CTE courses (Career Technical Education) are starting to incorporate these ideas into the classroom

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

@LC 111543 wrote:

I also think it would be cool if college professors that teach (most, not all, do), had to take just one class on how to teach. To my knowledge, no such class exists.

Amen.

The guy who got me as a first year TA took it upon himself to teach me. It was a master/apprentice type situation. The next guy who got me next quarter did the same. After the first year it stopped, but I was expected to improve my skills on my own. Some did and some didn’t. It all depended on whether we went the research direction or not. RA’s don’t need more than a basic skill level when it comes to teaching.

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

LC’s Sports Career Academy does, and in pretty sure MPTA does as well.

poit__narf
      Participant
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 12
      • Total Posts - 12

Getting back on topic: Mattress tester, lounge lizard, and probably the most heinous of all, banjo player!

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

Heh. I’ve been waiting for one of the guys to say lounge lizard. The promotion path involves the title ‘stud’, right? 8)

poit__narf
      Participant
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 12
      • Total Posts - 12

Okay, given that promotion path, I doubt that lounge lizard and banjo player go together. I’ll stick with mattress tester and banjo player and secretly covet lounge lizard

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

Lotto Winner? Does that count as a job?

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

Someone has gotta do it. Might as well be you.
      Win big and hire a staff to run the parts of your life you’d rather not.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

Oprah’s or Ellen’s careers. They get paid to talk a lot. I like to talk a lot. They get big bucks. I like big bucks. Someone does their clothes and make up. I don’t give a damn about either of those, but it would be nice to have someone else do it.

party-of-six
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 111
      • Total Posts - 120

I think I would be a private investigator. Maybe a detective or FBI profiler.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

Ooh cool!! You have always been good at that party-of-six. Can you investigate why I woke up to forensics and police cars outside my house this morning? 😉

Viewing 40 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.