• This topic is empty.
Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author

SteveB6509
      Participant
      • Topics - 36
      • Replies - 1,460
      • Total Posts - 1,496

I had held off on getting into Lyft/Uber for a while. No good reason…maybe I felt bad for the cabbies. This week, I had an event that switched me forever.

I was traveling and had to drop off a rental car at a small airport and then take a 10-minute taxi ride to an important meeting. I dropped off the car at 12:05 for a 1:00 meeting. Unfortunately, this was a very small airport with no rental cars waiting. I wasn’t worried since we called a taxi and they said a taxi would be there in 5-10 minutes. After 25 minutes, I called again and they said it was on the way. I asked for an exact time…he put me on hold and then came back to say it was 15 minutes. I told him to forget it and had to re-rent a car to go to my meeting. As soon as I pulled out, 4 taxis showed up. Thankfully, my meeting hosts were understanding but that missed meeting could have cost thousands of dollars. Given this event, I decided to move to Uber.

A few months ago, I thought about signing up with Uber as a driver (I go to the Bay Area often so I thought it was worth exploring). I decided that I was too busy and never completed my sign-up but I had a Username and Password. For some reason, my password wouldn’t work with Uber, when I asked to reset the password their system wouldn’t work, and when I emailed their Customer Support they essentially said “It should have worked.

Given this I decided to sign up for Lyft. It took 5 minutes and I used them twice this week. Real easy, driver shows up in a couple of minutes, and both were very friendly. Price was lower than a taxi (on one of the rides, 40-50% lower).

I am now a Lyft lover. Give it a try when you are in a city that is covered by Lyft or Uber.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

We used it Uber in Seattle and it was great. We didn’t rent a car there and mainly walked around. A couple of times we were like 2 miles away and didn’t feel like walking back and used Uber. It was really cool. Nice drivers, clean cars. Much better than a taxi.

I’ve thought about being an Uber driver too. I actually signed up, but none of our cars were new enough. Now that we have the Infiniti I might look into it again. It would mainly be for around here. I wouldn’t go hang out in Sacramento and do it.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

I love Uber and Lyft. Have used it several times on vacation. Also several times in Elk Grove and Sacramento when I was out and didn’t want to drive home. Way cheaper, convenient, and safer than a DUI.

SteveB6509
      Participant
      • Topics - 36
      • Replies - 1,460
      • Total Posts - 1,496

Doc – One thing the Lyft driver told me…they don’t find out your destination until they accept your ride and pick you up. Thus, you could accept a drive and then it could go to the airport (or further). Keep that in mind if need to be around at a certain time.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

What about with uber?

newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

Uber has been using the parking lot of my husband’s office building to sign up new drivers the last several months. They do not have a shortage of people to be drivers. He’s seen and heard some very interesting….things….in that time though. It hasn’t been altogether positive.

SteveB6509
      Participant
      • Topics - 36
      • Replies - 1,460
      • Total Posts - 1,496

The two drivers I had use both Lyft and Uber – they both said they prefer working with Lyft.

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

There is someone in my building who drives for Lyft. Don’t know who it is, I just see his car outside with the Lyft sticker in the window.

I’ve thought about it…… But that’s all I’ve done.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

For uber, you give a destination before you request a driver. I assume the driver sees that before accepting? Is Lyft different? I looked into Lyft too. Couldn’t see putting the pink mustache on the car. The other thing was it gave me a weird vibe. Like they had this culture and you had to fit in for lack of a better term. Whereas uber seemed more like you sign up and you’re a driver. Lyft wanted to meet and see if your personality was a match for their business model. I can understand that. Seemed like they were going for the hipster Bay Area crowd.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

@EGL Admin 119189 wrote:

What about with uber?

I read online that its the same, they don’t see the address until they pick you up.

I don’t put in a destination, I wait until they pick you up to tell them. Especially while in EG they want those clients going to Sacramento because its longer. I usually want a short ride, maybe $8-10 across town in EG.

Some guy tried to get sympathy from me by saying that picking me up wasn’t worth his time because of his “large” vehicle. I just ignored him, don’t be greedy, some trips are small, some are large. It wasn’t a large vehicle, it was a car with a sliding door, not sure the model. although larger than a compact car it was smaller than a pilot.

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

Pffft he signed up for the job…

People these days.

I think if you’re new there is 20 bucks off your first Uber ride.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

If anyone wants to try uber sign up and use code tjw12, you should get a free ride, or money off your first ride (think its $15).

Lyft code is TJ951858 and you get $20 off your first ride.

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

We used to call that hitchiking and offering gas money. ��

ActionEmotion
      • Topics - 130
      • Replies - 1,822
      • Total Posts - 1,952

I am an Uber driver. If you want any information om my experience, feel free to ask.

Leok20
      • Topics - 2
      • Replies - 22
      • Total Posts - 24

I’ve done it. Made $300 in a 2 nights. Fri-Sat.

As an Uber driver you don’t see the destination before accepting the passenger.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@Leok20 119761 wrote:

I’ve done it. Made $300 in a 2 nights. Fri-Sat.

As an Uber driver you don’t see the destination before accepting the passenger.

That’s crazy. What if the person wants a ride an hour away? Not that it would happen but still.

joy
      Participant
      • Topics - 99
      • Replies - 3,934
      • Total Posts - 4,033

My husband knows someone who drives to the bay area and does Uber. Works a long day but earns three to four hundred dollars a day whenever he chooses.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

I have a hippie chick friend from high school living on the Oregon Coast that I always thought would end up at Reed College and be an activist. Now her politics make Ted Cruz look like Bernie Sanders, but she’s still a hippie. She drives a school bus during the season, and off season and weekends she hacks for a cab company and drives for Uber. My wife and I had dinner with her this summer, and she said she is completely fulfilled with her work, could not be happier. My wife walked out, looked at me, shook her head, and just said “wow. you told me she was weird….but I like her too!” Sounds good to me.

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

So how does the financial transaction work with Uber and Lyft?

ActionEmotion
      • Topics - 130
      • Replies - 1,822
      • Total Posts - 1,952

@joy 119769 wrote:

My husband knows someone who drives to the bay area and does Uber. Works a long day but earns three to four hundred dollars a day whenever he chooses.

That doesn’t happen in Sacramento. Not enough business, too many Uber/Lyft drivers. I make on average 100 to 150 a day.

ActionEmotion
      • Topics - 130
      • Replies - 1,822
      • Total Posts - 1,952

@wildoates 119772 wrote:

So how does the financial transaction work with Uber and Lyft?

They deposit the fee you earn into your account weekly. Uber takes 1.75 per ride plus 25% of the fare, you keep the rest. They have supplemental insurance for drivers which is supposed to cover you in accidents but I have heard that it isn’t very reliable.

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

@Action>Emotion 119912 wrote:

They deposit the fee you earn into your account weekly. Uber takes 1.75 per ride plus 25% of the fare, you keep the rest. They have supplemental insurance for drivers which is supposed to cover you in accidents but I have heard that it isn’t very reliable.

So they don’t pay you in the car, they pay on app?

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@wildoates 119914 wrote:

So they don’t pay you in the car, they pay on app?

Yes.

ActionEmotion
      • Topics - 130
      • Replies - 1,822
      • Total Posts - 1,952

Thats the good part. No cash = no robberies. Nobody running out W/O paying.

Bainc
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 892
      • Total Posts - 901

We have a full size 12 passenger van. I’ve wondered if there’s a market with Uber/Lyft for that size a vehicle. Maybe make some airport runs but I’m not sure how it works. Of course I would need to be paid more for that size vehicle. Anybody know?

SteveB6509
      Participant
      • Topics - 36
      • Replies - 1,460
      • Total Posts - 1,496

I vaguely remember Lyft giving me the option of adding the number of passengers but not sure if the driver sees that when they accept a ride.

ActionEmotion
      • Topics - 130
      • Replies - 1,822
      • Total Posts - 1,952

@Bainc 119923 wrote:

We have a full size 12 passenger van. I’ve wondered if there’s a market with Uber/Lyft for that size a vehicle. Maybe make some airport runs but I’m not sure how it works. Of course I would need to be paid more for that size vehicle. Anybody know?

There is an Uber car pool you can look into.

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

Thanks!!

Viewing 27 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.