La Favorita Taqueria finally open in Old Town

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

La Favorita Taqueria in Old Town is finally open in the former Jedd’s location. For you old timers, that was also a former A & W Root Beer. Saw lights last night in the restaurant with an open sign. They even have a large banner that says “Finnnnaaaalllyyy Open”. Looking forward to trying it out. Nice to finally have that spot open again. It has been closed a number of years.

I think it is a small chain with other locations on Florin and Franklin Roads.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

Do they use spices and seasonings? If so, you probably won’t like it :biggrin:

SteveB6509
      Participant
      • Topics - 36
      • Replies - 1,460
      • Total Posts - 1,496

La Favorita is excellent.

norules
      Participant
      • Topics - 91
      • Replies - 530
      • Total Posts - 621

As I understand it, La Favorita and La Fiesta are owned by the same people. Why they named them two different places, not sure. They are all over Sacramento area depending on the name.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@LC 99626 wrote:

Do they use spices and seasonings? If so, you probably won’t like it :biggrin:

Maybe. 🙂

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Went there tonight around 6 pm and it was packed. Steady stream of people coming in. I had the chicken burrito and had them put the salsa verde on it. It was very good. Saw 5 different people in there that I knew. Pretty crazy. I think they are going to do well. They have a loyal following of people who have been to their other locations.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

Do they have a salsa bar? I thought I saw something like one when I passed by the other day. How is their salsa? I am addicted to salsa and could eat it with a spoon……lol

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

They have a serve yourself chips and salsa bar. You get your own chips. I think the one change I would make is the location of the salsa bar. It’s in the corner by the soda machine. There’s not much room when you have people getting salsa and sodas at the same time. That’s only an issue when it’s really crowded I would think. They had I think 4 types of salsa. I think pico de gallo, two red salsas and a green I think.

egdad
      Participant
      • Topics - 3
      • Replies - 384
      • Total Posts - 387

@kindrlindr 99643 wrote:

Do they have a salsa bar? I thought I saw something like one when I passed by the other day. How is their salsa? I am addicted to salsa and could eat it with a spoon……lol

Yes, La Favorita is Spanish for Fresh Choice…..

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

egdad….you are SOOOOOO funny. 😉

bevone
      Participant
      • Topics - 60
      • Replies - 1,069
      • Total Posts - 1,129

We just came home from eating here. Not your dinner house atmosphere by any means but I thought the food was delicious, especially the carnitas. I had two questions for them: !. Do you cater events? Considering the tasty food they have and the fact it is not really a restaurant per se I really think they could do well with a catering side business. 2. Do you package up items enough for say four or six people to take out? By that I mean sell in bulk like maybe 8 servings of carnitas, beans, rice, enchiladas, etc? They weren’t sure and then told me they could however there are no prices listed for anything like that. They could take a lesson from the Italian Deli and to this type of take out as well. There is a place downtown where we used to bulk order just the carnitas with tortillas to go along with our potluck lunch items.

I am just anticipating the holidays, having guests, etc. where we don’t want to do restaurants all the time but I don’t want to be a slave to my kitchen either. Have the type of take-out operation you might see at Panda Express.

I plan on going back for their carnita entree. However if you want a place with restaurant atmosphere that is fairly quiet and affordable prices I recommend La Fuente, over on East Stockton Blvd.

party-of-six
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 111
      • Total Posts - 120

We have eaten at La Favorita twice now and really like it. I agree on moving the salsa bar away from the soda machine.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

I need to get in there and try their salsa……..I hope its fresh like Baja Fresh.

govwatcher
      Participant
      • Topics - 12
      • Replies - 238
      • Total Posts - 250

Haven’t tried it yet, but always happy when we get something new. We usually wait until the first month is under their belt before we try it. Still waiting.

Leok20
      • Topics - 2
      • Replies - 22
      • Total Posts - 24

Ssssooooooo good.

rj2ktoy
      • Topics - 4
      • Replies - 22
      • Total Posts - 26

La Favorita is our favorite Mexican restaurant. Unfortunately, we weren’t impressed with the new location. Portion sizes were smaller, prices the same and the employees weren’t as friendly. It’ll work in a pinch but the location on Florin road is much better, in my opinion.

joy
      Participant
      • Topics - 99
      • Replies - 3,934
      • Total Posts - 4,033

I need to remember to get over there and try it.

Tracinae
      Participant
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 30
      • Total Posts - 30

My family tried this location 2 weeks ago. The customer service was not good unfortunately but I think it had a lot to do with it being 6pm on a Friday night and crowded. the food was just okay-I like the one on Florin better, they seem to plate better and the flavor is a little different. The floor was really pretty but very slippery. We probably won’t be going there very often if at all in the near future. Also for the same price you can go to Chevy’s or On The Border and have a sit down mean where you are served.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

I’ve heard from a few people that the Florin Rosd location is better. I’ve never been to that one. If we eat out of Elk Grove it’s to more of a fine dining type place or something different like Fats or PF Chang’s etc

Tracinae
      Participant
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 30
      • Total Posts - 30

@EGL Admin 101168 wrote:

I’ve heard from a few people that the Florin Rosd location is better. I’ve never been to that one. If we eat out of Elk Grove it’s to more of a fine dining type place or something different like Fats or PF Chang’s etc

Yes, I agree with you EGL Admin, that makes sense. I am always telling my husband to open a restaurant–he is the best chef! I think he could even blow people away by opening with just a Home-style Soup and Chili House with homemade bread bowls or breadsticks and offer gluten free choices for those with gluten allergies. But back to the dining in Elk Grove..we are happy with all of the choices we have. 🙂

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

My wife thinks we should open a restaurant. I told her she is nuts. It is such a tough business to do and you have to work a lot of hours yourself to get it off the ground. I think Elk Grove has plenty of choices. We could always have more and we will once the mall opens. I think we need more options as far as non chain types of places.

Tracinae, have you tried places like Brickhouse, Palermo’s, Boulevard Bistro or Lola’s on the east side?

egdad
      Participant
      • Topics - 3
      • Replies - 384
      • Total Posts - 387

Maybe you could open a Fresh Choice…..I know at least one person that would be a regular :sarcastic

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

I could buy salad from Bel Air and sell that. 🙂

egdad
      Participant
      • Topics - 3
      • Replies - 384
      • Total Posts - 387

@EGL Admin 101292 wrote:

I could buy salad from Bel Air and sell that. 🙂

Not much different. It might work.

Tracinae
      Participant
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 30
      • Total Posts - 30

@EGL Admin 101183 wrote:

My wife thinks we should open a restaurant. I told her she is nuts. It is such a tough business to do and you have to work a lot of hours yourself to get it off the ground. I think Elk Grove has plenty of choices. We could always have more and we will once the mall opens. I think we need more options as far as non chain types of places.

Tracinae, have you tried places like Brickhouse, Palermo’s, Boulevard Bistro or Lola’s on the east side?

Yes we love the Brickhouse. I haven’t tried the food at Lola’s but they have a nice bar. Palermo’s wasn’t for me and my hubby-we grew up with homemade Italian food and it just wasn’t the same…I have yet to go to the Boulevard Bistro but it’s on my list. 🙂
      By the way..have you heard when the mall is supposed to be opening?

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Mail will not open until 2016 at the earliest is what I’ve heard.

Tracinae
      Participant
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 30
      • Total Posts - 30

@EGL Admin 101534 wrote:

Mail will not open until 2016 at the earliest is what I’ve heard.

Hmm Thanks! That’s not too far away.

norules
      Participant
      • Topics - 91
      • Replies - 530
      • Total Posts - 621

We tried La Favorita a couple of weeks ago. We were not impressed with it. It was bland, not much flavor or spice. It was more greasy. We like the La Fiesta restaurant which is owned by the same group, I think. We have tried a couple of La Favorita and always go back to La Fiesta.

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

This La Favorita is horrible. I was excited when I heard they were opening one. Went a couple weeks back. By far not good, I’m used to the one on Florin Road which is delicious.

HeyitsJulie
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 3
      • Total Posts - 3

I keep forgetting about La Favorita. I have a few friends that love the Florin location. I’m a bit apprehensive to try it now – such a let down to get mediocre food while eating out. If I can make it better at home, such a waste to eat out.

Amberla
      • Topics - 1
      • Replies - 42
      • Total Posts - 43

Oh I love Mexican food! Need to check this place out

Julia
      • Topics - 4
      • Replies - 61
      • Total Posts - 65

I was all set to go until I heard it was a walk up place. That’s a disappointment to me. When I go out, I want to be served. We will try it eventually- when we’re in a rush or for take out.

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

Yes, walk up. But look at it this way, you don’t have to leave a tip LOL.

They bring the food to your table that’s about it.

Viewing 32 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.