fbpx

Lap top or Chrome book

This topic contains 30 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  gearshark23 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

If you needed to purchase one would you get a laptop or chrome book and why? Trying to decide. With the Chrome book do you always need to have access to internet because all your docs are saved in a cloud? And do you use google docs? Benefits?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Macbook. πŸ™‚

Good question. I am not familiar with the Chrome Books. I know the schools use them, but I have never used one.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

MacBook….. They last forever.

I’m actually in the market for one too. Actually I need to buy 2.

I’ll be buying a Macbook for myself and a Windows OS HP or something for the wife.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

My MacBook from 2008 is on it’s third battery, third OS, and received a RAM upgrade to max it out. It still runs virus free.
    The screen hinges aren’t broken, the touchpad still works, and the keyboard is mostly okay.
    I’ve worn some of the keys so badly they look like an old typewriter.

None of this would have been possible with a commodity laptop.
    I would have been on my third machine by now and spent more money in total than I did on the MacBook.

If you intend heavy use, don’t buy a commodity machine.
    If not, get a tablet and admit that you are just playing around on the internet. 8)

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

Depending on what you plan to use it for (eg. online connectivity, economic connectivity/travel device, work/production/business, entertainment, etc) will make a big impact on what you should get πŸ™‚

Chromebook, IMO, is a economic “on-the-go” type of device.
    For example, I had once considered the Chromebook to take with me on long-distance travels. I planned to use it for internet connection (eg. seeking maps, last minute research on “things to do” at location, restaurant reviews, photo/video management). I decided against buying a chromebook mainly because of size – as I was able to do all what I planned to do with my tablet. Note, any document processing (worksheets, powerpoints, word docs) would be done on a zero-to-light level. I wouldn’t do any heavy editing of important documents on a cloud device, mainly because of potential formatting differences across systems.

So, for business/production purposes (includes school and such) I would probably also go with Mac.
    I’m not an Apple-fanboy either πŸ™‚ – personally, I generally avoid Apple products; not because of quality or processing power, but rather I’m not at that level of need or dependency of such reliability to warrant the need to buy Apple Mac’s.

Apple/Mac is worth the money you pay in quality, OS maintenance, and stability compared to the conventional PC/Windows based laptops you can find anywhere. However! I always ask each person is looking into a Mac to justify their need for a Mac.
    Too many times, I see someone emphatically proclaim that their life has changed tremendously after they went from PC-to-Mac. I ask them “what do you do?” -> “Oh, I just do FB, internet, etc”.
    >:(
    They spend nearly $2000+ to browse the internet?! Such a waste of money, IMO. But now I’m ranting, LOL!

So, first decide what you ultimately plan to use it for, how you will use it, and how often you will use it.
    And what you answer, if it requires stability, reliability, and long-lifespan (not to mistake with battery life) -> then Mac is probably what you want.
    If you are cloud-savy, need it for connectivity purposes, other people use Windows around you -> then conventional laptop is what you want.

You’ll also want to consider how “mobile” you will be with the laptop. Will it be in a backpack or sling where you’ll carry often? or will it sit on your desk most of the time? Will you be carrying tons of other stuff with you?
    This doesn’t lead to a Mac or Windows machine, rather whether or not you should look into a “big” laptop (bigger screen, bigger battery, heavier, etc) or if you want a thin/slim laptop (light, likely less battery life, smaller screen).

good luck!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Apple/Mac is worth the money you pay in quality, OS maintenance, and stability compared to the conventional PC/Windows based laptops you can find anywhere. However! I always ask each person is looking into a Mac to justify their need for a Mac.
    Too many times, I see someone emphatically proclaim that their life has changed tremendously after they went from PC-to-Mac. I ask them “what do you do?” -> “Oh, I just do FB, internet, etc”.
    >:(
    They spend nearly $2000+ to browse the internet?! Such a waste of money, IMO. But now I’m ranting, LOL!

That’s always been my issue with the Mac laptops as well. It depends on what people are going to use them for. Most use for Internet, emails, social media etc. Very few use them for things for which a Mac is necessary. Just over a year ago I bought a Mac Mini. I think it was $499. That to me was perfect. I didn’t need a monitor. I really like it. The software isn’t that much different for what I need. Office is about the same. What I like most is that it works and it’s fast. Every PC I have had starts out great and within a year starts slowing down. Stuff won’t load. I click on Safari and boom it loads up. On my PC’s they can take a few minutes sometimes to open the browser. For some reason Chrome and Firefox both keeping having issues with plug ins and pages not loading. If I had $2000 to just throw down I would get a Mac Book. We have two PC laptops, that we never use except when we are out of town. For what I want to do I can either use my iPhone or my Mac Mini. I don’t need to sit on the sofa and use a laptop. I prefer a desk and computer.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I think it depends what you will use it for. A Chromebook does have a small amount of internal storage for storing documents, and you can transfer things to and from things like a thumb drive, so there are easy work arounds for the a lack of wifi. I got my dad a Chromebook when he moved here because no way he was getting a pc again because he always got every virus possible from opening every single thing common sense says not to open and I did not have time to deal with that. However he needed internet access to pay bills on line and such. It was under $200 from Costco, it’s almost 2 years old, and it’s perfect for him. He didn’t need something as expensive or long lasting as a Mac.
    When the old pc my daughter was using died in the fall we got a Macbook air for her. No way we were getting a pc-we are just done with them as most are a piece of crap. A friend is an IT Dir so we even asked him for suggestions and there was nothing he could recommend at the time other than a Mac. He said (at the time) to avoid Windows like the plague as it was having so many problems. We found lots of great deals on Black Friday. She has lots of papers to write for school these days and needed something very reliable for research and writing. The Mac Air does not have a cd drive and also has limited storage but Macs are so reliable that she will use it until she goes to college (she is going into 8th now) and by then our son will use it as he will be hitting middle school and we will get her something new then. Her Mac weighs nothing-it’s amazing how light it is. You can get a cd/dvd drive that plugs un via USB if that is something you think you will need sometime.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I’m upset that the air doesn’t have a CD-rom, yea you can buy one to plug in but I like it all in one.

I need a CD-Rom so I can make clients photos avaliable on a cd.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Optical drives are going the way of the dodo.
    You won’t see them much longer. They’ll vanish like the old ‘floppy’ drives did.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Thank you, lots to ponder. Funny thing is, I use to use Apple and Mac’s before they were popular (Macintosh was my first computer) and everyone laughed. Now they are in the in thing, and the only apples I have are for the kids to play. I just hate the price tag of the mac book. I’d be using it as a workhorse for my volunteer position. Creating spreadsheets, docs, power points, many other forms along with sending out mass emails. And yes I would be surfing, but that part would be minor.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

@adiffer 115647 wrote:

Optical drives are going the way of the dodo.
    You won’t see them much longer. They’ll vanish like the old ‘floppy’ drives did.

So how will you use the CD’s other than buying a plug in? Most instruction manuals now come in the form of a CD. It doesn’t make sense for them to disappear.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@scarlet 115756 wrote:

Thank you, lots to ponder. Funny thing is, I use to use Apple and Mac’s before they were popular (Macintosh was my first computer) and everyone laughed. Now they are in the in thing, and the only apples I have are for the kids to play. I just hate the price tag of the mac book. I’d be using it as a workhorse for my volunteer position. Creating spreadsheets, docs, power points, many other forms along with sending out mass emails. And yes I would be surfing, but that part would be minor.

I say a windows computer would do just fine then…

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@bevone 115761 wrote:

So how will you use the CD’s other than buying a plug in? Most instruction manuals now come in the form of a CD. It doesn’t make sense for them to disappear.

Many programs you buy now are done through a digital download. The programs you buy in stores come with CD and digital download. Manuals and other instructions can be found through a link on their website.

This was the case when I was helping a friend with his new Windows Tablet.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I haven’t seen instructions in a cd in a long time.

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

I really appreciate this post! Where do you all suggest purchasing a laptop or MacBook? We’re looking for options for my son to do homework, research, creating docs, etc. I’m not sure where to even begin shopping!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

For a Macbook, I would suggest the Apple Store. You won’t find deals elsewhere.

http://www.apple.com/shop/mac

The Macbook Air starts at $899. The Macbook Pro starts at $1299.

For a Windows laptop you’ll find a variety of prices and types. You can get it online, Staples, Best Buy, Walmart.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Something to keep in mind with a Chromebook though-you can’t watch things created with some windows based movie programs. Google and Microsoft have been have problems getting a long and so some things aren’t compatible. My dad got really angry because someone sent him a joke video created with something like .wmv and he couldn’t watch it. I searched on line to see if there was something we could download and all the forums came back that there was no way to watch it and no plans to change it.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 115783 wrote:

For a Macbook, I would suggest the Apple Store. You won’t find deals elsewhere.

http://www.apple.com/shop/mac

The Macbook Air starts at $899. The Macbook Pro starts at $1299.

For a Windows laptop you’ll find a variety of prices and types. You can get it online, Staples, Best Buy, Walmart.

We saved a lot of money on the MacBook Air we got on Black Friday at BestBuy. They had almost all the models on sale.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The Macbook Air looks interesting. I don’t know anything about the Mac Laptops. What is the big difference between the Macbook Air and Pro? My nephew just graduated from high school and I bought a Macbook Pro with his own money. I think it was like $1700 out the door.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@newmom 115786 wrote:

video created with something like .wmv and he couldn’t watch it.

What media player was he using? I am highly suprised that any media player wouldn’t play “wmv.”

Download VLC media player or another one.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

It was on his chrome book. Wouldn’t and couldn’t play it and there was nothing he could download that would work on a Chronebook from what I read. I was searching the chrome user forums.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 115796 wrote:

The Macbook Air looks interesting. I don’t know anything about the Mac Laptops. What is the big difference between the Macbook Air and Pro? My nephew just graduated from high school and I bought a Macbook Pro with his own money. I think it was like $1700 out the door.

The Air you can’t get an optical drive, the Pro you can. The Pro you can get different sizes if hard drives. The Air is limited in internal storage. I’m sure there are many more differences as well but those that come the mind instantly.

MooseMom
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 254
    • Total Posts - 353

I have a Mac Book Pro. LOVE it! No experience with the Chrome at all… Tech-challenged here, but I like what works for me.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@bevone 115761 wrote:

Most of those instruction manuals are probably available online and maintained better online.

What people will do is keep a spare, external, USB optical drive for legacy discs.
    When they need portability off-line, they’ll use large thumb drives.

It’s a shame, though. Optical drives got a little behind the Moore’s Law curve, but there is still plenty of room for improving them. They are far, far better at delivering long term, stable storage than any other tech, so I’ll shed a tear for them when they go. 8)

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

If you are willing to buy used, you can get deals on macs.

macsales.com

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@adiffer 115805 wrote:

Most of those instruction manuals are probably available online and maintained better online.

What people will do is keep a spare, external, USB optical drive for legacy discs.
    When they need portability off-line, they’ll use large thumb drives.

It’s a shame, though. Optical drives got a little behind the Moore’s Law curve, but there is still plenty of room for improving them. They are far, far better at delivering long term, stable storage than any other tech, so I’ll shed a tear for them when they go. 8)

I just replaced the one in my Pro a couple of months ago. I don’t know when, why, or how, but it wouldn’t let me put a disc in one day.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Yah. Moving parts are the failure points. That’s the best engineering argument for pulling optical drives out of our machines and mounting them as external devices. As long as the communication protocols keep evolving, we don’t really need to bury devices internally for the speed advantage. Gamers might do this, but they are more likely to buy tons more RAM and skip storage devices all together.

Hard drives are next on the endangered devices list. Won’t be long now.

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

Thank you for the suggestions on where to purchase! I hadn’t even thought of Black Friday and that will be upon us in no time!

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Buy now because school is starting. If you have college kids or a friend I know Sac State students were getting a killer deal.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Cyber monday> black friday..

Then use ebates… more discount, plus don’t have to leave the thanksgiving dinner early to deal with crazy people. (I’m not talking about family either lol)

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@adiffer 115815 wrote:

Yah. Moving parts are the failure points. That’s the best engineering argument for pulling optical drives out of our machines and mounting them as external devices. As long as the communication protocols keep evolving, we don’t really need to bury devices internally for the speed advantage. Gamers might do this, but they are more likely to buy tons more RAM and skip storage devices all together.

Hard drives are next on the endangered devices list. Won’t be long now.

As seen in the Chromebooks and Mac Air……

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@birdofparadise 115818 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions on where to purchase! I hadn’t even thought of Black Friday and that will be upon us in no time!

In the case of the Mac Air we got, I found the ads ahead of time and saw it was going to be on sale, and purchased on line rather than going into the store (had to be shipped to us as they were out in the store). However, the next day they had a better model on sale and it ended up costing about $10 more than we paid, so I had to call back and place a new order. They couldn’t cancel the first order, but said there would be no restocking fee (Best Buy is bog about charging those) if I returned it unopened to our local store. Other than buying used, it was the best price of anywhere on line or in stores.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.