fbpx

Light Rail Extension to CRC opens Monday, August 24

This topic contains 58 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Aggies49 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The much anticipated extension of Light Rail to the campus of Cosumnes River College is opening on Monday, August 24.

The $270 million project extends light rail 4.3 miles from Meadowview Road to CRC college. The Blue Line to CRC project will add four new light rail stations (Morrison Creek, Franklin, Center Parkway and Cosumnes River College), 2,700 park-and-ride spaces and a major new transit center and parking structure at the Cosumnes River College Station.

There is a pre-opening celebration today, Sunday August 23, from noon to 5 pm. Today’s events include:

• Preview train rides between the CRC and Meadowview Stations
    • Live entertainment and food trucks
    • community booths
    • Kids activities and prize drawings
    • Giveaways at each new station

The official grand opening ceremony is Monday from 9 to 11 am at CRC college.
    There will be:

• Arrival of the celebratory train
    • refreshments
    • Giveaways

For Elk Grove residents this represents another option to avoid using a car to get to downtown Sacramento. The project will hopefully relieve some of the congestion on I-5 and 99. There was a lot of controversy earlier this year when the City of Elk Grove announced it would be changing the routes of some of its E Tran busses to deliver passengers to the new light rail station. After 2 community meetings where local riders expressed their concerns with possible changes the City decided to postpone any changes until after the new station opens.

Will you take light rail from the new station?

Aggies49
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

Out of curiousity, I’m going to the event today to see exactly where the trains go. It might be a good option if I need to leave work early. However, I will stick with the etran buses. I don’t want to leave my car at a light rail station and pay extra for parking. I think the commute times would be about the same for me.

Aggies49
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

The new stations were very nice. They had a little water dispenser thing at each station where you could fill up your water bottles. Franklin Station had a ton of parking. The train I rode back had the vinyl seats. However, the train still just felt kind of dirty. It filled up quick. I think it will be a nice option for students and people who want to take the train. For me, I prefer etran.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It would be nice if it was safe. It would be a good option to have for us when we go to Kings games. I think they will increase security for the evenings like after Kings games.

MooseMom
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 254
    • Total Posts - 353

I drove to CRC to see how long it would take from my house, and to fact-check some conflicting information. The RT monthly parking lot hang tags ARE GOING TO BE HONORED at CRC garage!!! WHOO HOO!!! That means I can leave home at the same time as before, park in the garage, in the shade, and walk over to the station, grab a seat on the north-bound train and be at work the same time. Hot DOGGIES! Unfortunately, e-tran does not have a bus early enough to get me to CRC to get to work on time… It was well worth the (short) drive and the time spent chatting with folks in the booths and on the train. Will let you all know how the first week goes!

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I won’t be taking it still. I may only take it if I’m sick and don’t feel like having someone pick me up from Downtown.

Hopefully more people that live in the Big Horn Franklin area take it so the bus won’t be so congested.

I had some guys on the bus that said they will be taking it because they live near off of Franklin and Big Horn.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

All depends where you live. In Laguna West don’t think it’s worth doubling back to LR but if you live near Franklin and Big Horn the Franklin station is very close. New options are always good.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@bainc 116570 wrote:

All depends where you live. In Laguna West don’t think it’s worth doubling back to LR but if you live near Franklin and Big Horn the Franklin station is very close. New options are always good.

Yup, I’m in Lakeside. Makes no sense for me.

We have a bet going on. How long will it take for something to happen at one of the new stations? I’m giving it 45 days.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@gearshark23 116571 wrote:

We have a bet going on. How long will it take for something to happen at one of the new stations? I’m giving it 45 days.

Are you saying that you expect some type of violence or graffiti?

I think it makes sense for people who live on the interior of Laguna, along the Bruceville corridor down to Elk Grove Blvd. They can drive or ride a bike to CRC. Won’t make sense for Laguna West. Probably not for east Elk Grove. Might make sense for people who live east of 99 along Calvine. I may try it during the day one day to take to downtown see how it is. I think commute times will be fairly safe. The issue will be in the evenings.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I’m planning on taking LR tomorrow. My drive today was 36 minutes from my garage to sitting at my desk. I figure driving to CRC and taking LR will be roughly an hour and ten minutes which is double the time. If so, I won’t be a regular on LR. I’d love to take Public Transit but it needs to be faster with less stops and actually extend into Elk Grove. I don’t have and extra hour per day to give up to take Public Transit.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 116574 wrote:

Are you saying that you expect some type of violence or graffiti?

I think it makes sense for people who live on the interior of Laguna, along the Bruceville corridor down to Elk Grove Blvd. They can drive or ride a bike to CRC. Won’t make sense for Laguna West. Probably not for east Elk Grove. Might make sense for people who live east of 99 along Calvine. I may try it during the day one day to take to downtown see how it is. I think commute times will be fairly safe. The issue will be in the evenings.

Yes, some type of graffiti or violence.

Yes, commute times are usually ok. I took light rail the other week to SCC to pick something up. On the way there it was fine, on the way coming back I was on a train with blaring music and people talking pretty loud on the phone.

If light rail comes more into EG, I will be selling my house sooner then expected. I’ve gave myself 7-8 years in EG then I’m going else where. But I’m sure it would take 25 years for light rail to extend into EG.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 116575 wrote:

I’m planning on taking LR tomorrow. My drive today was 36 minutes from my garage to sitting at my desk. I figure driving to CRC and taking LR will be roughly an hour and ten minutes which is double the time. If so, I won’t be a regular on LR. I’d love to take Public Transit but it needs to be faster with less stops and actually extend into Elk Grove. I don’t have and extra hour per day to give up to take Public Transit.

In your situation I don’t think it will ever be fast enough to be worth it unless they did an express train. That’s not going to happen during commute times though I don’t think.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@gearshark23 116571 wrote:

wow :p 45days? quite a conservative predication.

I might be more pessimistic; the temptations that a new and clean area has on those inconsiderate folks that decide to deface something is too great, IMO 😉 . This is in regards to graffiti, not so much violence.
    Someone will soon take out a sharpie and print something on those poles/canopies, or a knife and carve “someone loves someone 2015” on the ticket dispenser, spit or pee in the water dispenser, gum up the seating area, etc.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

As far as some type of graffiti, I give it two weeks tops.

Aggies49
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

@EGL Admin 116589 wrote:

As far as some type of graffiti, I give it two weeks tops.

2 weeks sounds about right, especially when the fan fare dies down.
    Anyone notice how they had the shiny new train out for Congresswoman Matsui but the old trains out for regular passengers?

MooseMom
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 254
    • Total Posts - 353

Rode LR today. Other than it took longer to walk from the garage to the station than it did to actually drive to the garage, no surprises. EASY parking, but a suggestion from my daughter – do NOT park on the end of any rows in the garage… evidently many idiots forget how to turn correctly and take off bumpers. Biggest surprise was riding past Meadowview station parking lot – it was EMPTY! Franklin station lot was pretty full, too. Train was about the same fullness as previously experienced. LOTS of RT police, Sac police and EG police around to make sure people are feeling comfortable riding. For me, it totally WORKS! For that, I am most grateful.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I wonder how long the EGPD will be there since its not in the city limits.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

On the train now. Been a long morning. At Meadowview station now. If I continued on the freeway I’d be at my desk. 🙁

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Very few riders getting on at CRC. Parking lot was empty. Picked up a few riders at the Franklin station. Think the $2 daily fee will keep people away from CRC if you live between Franklin and CRC and can choose between the two.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 116604 wrote:

Very few riders getting on at CRC. Parking lot was empty. Picked up a few riders at the Franklin station. Think the $2 daily fee will keep people away from CRC if you live between Franklin and CRC and can choose between the two.

That would make sense to drive to the Franklin Station to save $2.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Here’s my final figures from my LR experience this morning.

From my garage in East EG to the Calvine Rd/99 exit: 12 min.
    From Calvine exit to boarding of train: 15 min
    Time on train to Archives Plaza downtown: 39 min
    From train to my desk: 9 min

A grand total of 1:15 from door to desk. Ouch! I could squeeze a few minutes by timing the train departure better but not much, maybe 5 minutes. I’d also recommend for those coming from 99 to drive west on CRC Blvd to the Franklin Station instead of turning at Bruceville and going to CRC. Easier ingress and egress and less cost for parking.

I’ll post the ride home figures this evening.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@aggies49 116591 wrote:

2 weeks sounds about right, especially when the fan fare dies down.
    Anyone notice how they had the shiny new train out for Congresswoman Matsui but the old trains out for regular passengers?

Noticed that. I saw pictures and asked my co worker if they had new trains.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@bainc 116606 wrote:

Here’s my final figures from my LR experience this morning.

From my garage in East EG to the Calvine Rd/99 exit: 12 min.
    From Calvine exit to boarding of train: 15 min
    Time on train to Archives Plaza downtown: 39 min
    From train to my desk: 9 min

A grand total of 1:15 from door to desk. Ouch! I could squeeze a few minutes by timing the train departure better but not much, maybe 5 minutes. I’d also recommend for those coming from 99 to drive west on CRC Blvd to the Franklin Station instead of turning at Bruceville and going to CRC. Easier ingress and egress and less cost for parking.

Left my house at 6:50 am was in my office at 7:26. Bus was still packed.

MooseMom
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 254
    • Total Posts - 353

The parking lot at Franklin is $1.00/day, FYI…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 116606 wrote:

Guess he never made it home. :sarcastic

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Desk to train station: 8 min
    Waiting for train: 4 min
    Time on train: 40 min
    Walking to car then driving home: 22 min

Grand total of 1:14. I was very surprised to see the Franklin station empty. CRC was difficult to tell in the afternoon because all the student parking. I was disheartened to see very few professionals/state workers. They probably figured out it will take an hour plus on the train and stayed on Etran or continued to drive. It looked like it would work great for students and those w/o other options (ie, no car). Based on my experience today I don’t see much traffic being reduced on Hwy 99. Doc, forget about it for Kings games.

Finally, can you imagine how long it would take to drive/walk to an existing e-tran stop, wait for the bus, ride it to CRC, then transfer to the train? If it took me 1:15 driving to CRC it would take at least 1:30-1:35 to take the bus to LR.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 116641 wrote:

Desk to train station: 8 min
    Waiting for train: 4 min
    Time on train: 40 min
    Walking to car then driving home: 22 min

Grand total of 1:14. I was very surprised to see the Franklin station empty. CRC was difficult to tell in the afternoon because all the student parking. I was disheartened to see very few professionals/state workers. They probably figured out it will take an hour plus on the train and stayed on Etran or continued to drive. It looked like it would work great for students and those w/o other options (ie, no car). Based on my experience today I don’t see much traffic being reduced on Hwy 99. Doc, forget about it for Kings games.

Finally, can you imagine how long it would take to drive/walk to an existing e-tran stop, wait for the bus, ride it to CRC, then transfer to the train? If it took me 1:15 driving to CRC it would take at least 1:30-1:35 to take the bus to LR.

Thanks for the update. The only way I can see taking it to Kings games is because getting out of Downtown Sac will be a mess. That to me is the biggest negative of the downtown arena vs Natomas.

I agree on not taking E-tran to CRC and then light rail. That’s crazy to take over an hour to commute 15-20 miles. Taking all this into consideration, what would be the benefit of extending light rail to Elk Grove? In my opinion that is a complete waste of money to benefit a few people. The farther you get from the destination the less sense it makes to use light rail. Much cheaper to add more busses and routes.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Nope I am seeing no decrease in traffic with the extension of light rail. I heard there were cops on the train explaining the rider alert thing or whatever it is.

Aggies49
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

@gearshark23 116656 wrote:

Nope I am seeing no decrease in traffic with the extension of light rail. I heard there were cops on the train explaining the rider alert thing or whatever it is.

I also haven’t seen a decrease of people riding the E-Tran buses. On the news, they had Captain Leong “recruiting” people for their Rider Watch program. I guess the goal is to look for regular riders and pair them up with similar commuters. Then they put their names in a database and create commute groups. It’s to help riders recognize one another and report any bad activity.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The next 6 months to a year will be interesting. If there not enough people using it from Elk Grove then that would show we don’t really need it here.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

The police presence was comical. There was about 3 officers or RT personnel on every car and multiple at every station. They only rode the train between CRC and the Franklin station. After that we were on our own between Meadowview and downtown. For those worried about safety it looked great for 3 stops then it was business as usual. I’d like to see those officers OT checks this month. Wow!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That won’t fool anyone. People will know that it’s only temporary.

It’s all about what is your time worth and how much are you willing to sacrifice to not have to sit in traffic? Is it worth 30-40 minutes each way?

Aggies49
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

@EGL Admin 116662 wrote:

That won’t fool anyone. People will know that it’s only temporary.

It’s all about what is your time worth and how much are you willing to sacrifice to not have to sit in traffic? Is it worth 30-40 minutes each way?

Exactly! A previous poster mentioned a bet on how long before the stations are vandalized. Another bet would be, how long before the officers are no longer riding on the trains or sitting at booths at the new stations?

For me, the deciding factor is having to pay to park at Franklin. The commute time of light rail vs. E-Tran is about the same. I prefer to leave my car locked in my garage at home and walking to a bus instead of driving it to Franklin and pay for parking there. I like the light rail in case I need to come home during the day.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@aggies49 116665 wrote:

Exactly! A previous poster mentioned a bet on how long before the stations are vandalized. Another bet would be, how long before the officers are no longer riding on the trains or sitting at booths at the new stations?

For me, the deciding factor is having to pay to park at Franklin. The commute time of light rail vs. E-Tran is about the same. I prefer to leave my car locked in my garage at home and walking to a bus instead of driving it to Franklin and pay for parking there. I like the light rail in case I need to come home during the day.

I give it 2-3 weeks.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@aggies49 116665 wrote:

E-Tran seems like a no brainer. You pretty much have the same people on the bus each day. You’re not stopping in the bad part of the city.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Only way the new line gets more riders is if the city says, okay, we are not going to have any busses going to downtown. Everything terminates at the light rail station by CRC. Then people will have to choose between driving and light rail and some will choose lihhy rail.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 116688 wrote:

Only way the new line gets more riders is if the city says, okay, we are not going to have any busses going to downtown. Everything terminates at the light rail station by CRC. Then people will have to choose between driving and light rail and some will choose lihhy rail.

Yes, they will. Just like those people when Facebook launched messenger. “If I have to use this messenger thing, I’m getting rid of my facebook.” Those people still have Facebook and are on messenger.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 116688 wrote:

That’s exactly what they did in Folsom. They don’t even have bus service to the Light Rail stations except for one or two local routes. The LR users drive from their homes and park at LR. The biggest difference between Folsom and EG is LR actually went to the heart of Folsom and has multiple stops within the city limits. CRC is not in the city of EG and is pretty darn far away from much of the population. One other difference is they actually have jobs in Folsom. If and when LR is extended to Laguna Blvd I could see ending e-tran commuter service but not until then. At the same time RT needs to figure out limited stop service.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 116659 wrote:

The next 6 months to a year will be interesting. If there not enough people using it from Elk Grove then that would show we don’t really need it here.

I’m not sure I’d necessarily go this far. There are plenty of Elk Grove residents that don’t have vehicles or can’t drive (Teens, Elderly, disabled, and poor). The elderly population in particular will explode in the coming years. Should they only rely on family to drive them around? All of these groups would benefit from improved public transit. If LR was extended to SEPA you’d see many EG residents take LR to classes at CRC. I wish they had that when I was a poor college student.

Yes, I’m disappointed in my LR experience for commuting to downtown and think improvements can and should be made but that doesn’t mean I’m against LR overall or extending it to Elk Grove.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 116644 wrote:

I agree on not taking E-tran to CRC and then light rail. That’s crazy to take over an hour to commute 15-20 miles. Taking all this into consideration, what would be the benefit of extending light rail to Elk Grove? In my opinion that is a complete waste of money to benefit a few people. The farther you get from the destination the less sense it makes to use light rail. Much cheaper to add more busses and routes.

If you believe our mayor and council members there will be 25K high paying jobs coming to SEPA in the years to come. Extending LR to SEPA would create demand from reverse commuters coming from Sac to EG. eye rolling

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

So I know a big deal is being made about a police presence on/near the trains to make people feel safe to ride but quite honestly, I tend not to frequent places that require a certain level of security. For example, we were watching a TV show the other night with a high school that had metal detectors at the door. That sort of thing doesn’t make me feel like my child would be safer. It makes me feel like not going there at all.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 116701 wrote:

I’m not sure I’d necessarily go this far. There are plenty of Elk Grove residents that don’t have vehicles or can’t drive (Teens, Elderly, disabled, and poor). The elderly population in particular will explode in the coming years. Should they only rely on family to drive them around? All of these groups would benefit from improved public transit. If LR was extended to SEPA you’d see many EG residents take LR to classes at CRC. I wish they had that when I was a poor college student.

Yes, I’m disappointed in my LR experience for commuting to downtown and think improvements can and should be made but that doesn’t mean I’m against LR overall or extending it to Elk Grove.

Yes, but you don’t spend what will likely be $400 million+ to benefit a few people. You can add bus service for much less. Most college students will have cars. It won’t happen in next 20 years anyway probably, but I think it’s a huge waste of money

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 116712 wrote:

Yes, but you don’t spend what will likely be $400 million+ to benefit a few people.

I completely agree. I think transit planning should be completely flipped on it’s head. Instead of planning transit for the few poor, elderly, and disabled riders they should plan transit for the masses (ie commuters). With mass ridership you can create a superior system where the poor, elderly, and disabled riders would all benefit as well. A guy can dream right?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 116714 wrote:

I completely agree. I think transit planning should be completely flipped on it’s head. Instead of planning transit for the few poor, elderly, and disabled riders they should plan transit for the masses (ie commuters). With mass ridership you can create a superior system where the poor, elderly, and disabled riders would all benefit as well. A guy can dream right?

I think for our area it is too late for that, plus we are so spread out that you need a car. It’s okay for SF and NY because it’s more compact and you don’t want to drive there, which is why I would never live in either of those areas. Nice to visit, but that’s about it for me.

I think Elk Grove needs to have a better transit system for the city itself. I have no idea what the routes are or how often they run within the city for those that need it. I can’t imagine it’s very efficient.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I agree with Bainc’s statement about changing who is the customer on mass transit. If the daily commuters are targeted and the schedules are made to accommodate their work schedules, the system and program would be much smoother and more successful. The elderly, poor, and disabled won’t, for the most part, be using mass transit as much as daily commuters. Their schedules aren’t as consistent and they don’t go as many places. Add in the fact that it’s so darn difficult to get the DMV to take away an elderly person’s license and most of them will continue to drive as long as they can anyway.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Question is can light rail do that? If they had double tracking to Elk Grove and could run express trains, yes. The cost of that though would be pretty high.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

City of Elk Grove needs new everything…. New transit, new planners the list goes on..

Just fly us into work, skip traffic and will only take 3-5 minutes to get to work.. Hoverbus… :biggrin:

I do think they need to look at the schedules again for the bus though. The 66 route runs twice in the morning and twice in the evening.

Picks up at EG Blvd and Franklin at 6:35 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.

Drops off at EG Blvd and Franklin at 5:25 p.m. and 6:05 p.m.

So if you work from 7:00 – 4:00 or 7-3:30 you have to wait until 5:00 to take the bus :confused:

They should have a 7:30ish bus because most people that will take that last 66 out of Downtown will be people who start work at 8 or 8:30 even 9 a.m.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

It’s double tracked the entire way in through south Sac. The limitations come when trains get downtown and are running on city streets with many other train lines. Since they don’t run on their own right of way they can’t have train after train after train blocking vehicle and pedestrian traffic. The head of RT has told me express trains would cut the trip from CRC but a whopping 5 minutes. Wow, now it’s 1:10 min instead of 1:15. Big deal.

Sadly I think you’re right Doc that it’s too late to save LR from itself.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@moosemom 116592 wrote:

Rode LR today. Other than it took longer to walk from the garage to the station than it did to actually drive to the garage, no surprises. EASY parking, but a suggestion from my daughter – do NOT park on the end of any rows in the garage… evidently many idiots forget how to turn correctly and take off bumpers. Biggest surprise was riding past Meadowview station parking lot – it was EMPTY! Franklin station lot was pretty full, too. Train was about the same fullness as previously experienced. LOTS of RT police, Sac police and EG police around to make sure people are feeling comfortable riding. For me, it totally WORKS! For that, I am most grateful.

Wanted to provide a correction. EGPD was not at the CRC station. It would have bob Sac PD or RT police.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

What about a commuter train?

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 116738 wrote:

What about a commuter train?

Probably not possible. Wouldn’t that be just like an express train?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I mean using the conventional railroad. I think that is potentially one of the plans behind having a train station. If they did a straight shot to the Amtrak station that would be faster to downtown. No stops between here and there I don’t think.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 116746 wrote:

I mean using the conventional railroad. I think that is potentially one of the plans behind having a train station. If they did a straight shot to the Amtrak station that would be faster to downtown. No stops between here and there I don’t think.

Makes sense…. Yes, that would be a good idea. Have one spot to pick up and a straight shot into Downtown Sac.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Okay – My son took light rail from Sac State to CRC this evening approx 7 – 8pm. His stories of light rail always keep us amused. This evening he met a transvestite, was propositioned (not by the transvestite), was hit up by three people asking him for his pot. One guy was so adamant, he had pot, he sat next to him and asked over and over again, (no not an undercover cop, guy only had about 5 teeth and cops have better dental plans). Watched two different guys light up, watched one guy get in a fight with the guy lighting up pot because his kids were in the car. met a young 18 year old girl, who stood under 5′, english not her first language who was scared to death to be on light rail and clung to my son until they got to crc.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That’s a ringing endorsement for light rail right there. I think that us exactly what people are afraid it will be. I think commute times will be fine, evenings will be awful. It might not be unsafe, but it will be uncomfortable. No one wants to deal with that kind of stuff.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I saw the new parking lot yesterday at Franklin. Not bad.

Almost took light rail this morning because the stupid bus decided to come 5 minutes early and leave 5 minutes early. Just because state workers take the Friday before a holiday off does not mean you can leave bus stops early.

Decided to just drive.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@scarlet 117026 wrote:

Okay – My son took light rail from Sac State to CRC this evening approx 7 – 8pm. His stories of light rail always keep us amused. This evening he met a transvestite, was propositioned (not by the transvestite), was hit up by three people asking him for his pot. One guy was so adamant, he had pot, he sat next to him and asked over and over again, (no not an undercover cop, guy only had about 5 teeth and cops have better dental plans). Watched two different guys light up, watched one guy get in a fight with the guy lighting up pot because his kids were in the car. met a young 18 year old girl, who stood under 5′, english not her first language who was scared to death to be on light rail and clung to my son until they got to crc.

This isn’t surprising. Light Rail is an open system where riders can come and go easily with or without a ticket. Unlike BART or the Metro in DC where you must have a ticket to get on. Riders also pay per mile so it keeps the riff raff from riding for the fun of it.

Nights rolling through South Sac? No thanks.

All this goes back to my earlier comment about LR not being for the masses but the destitute w/o other options.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@gearshark23 117029 wrote:

I saw the new parking lot yesterday at Franklin. Not bad.

Almost took light rail this morning because the stupid bus decided to come 5 minutes early and leave 5 minutes early. Just because state workers take the Friday before a holiday off does not mean you can leave bus stops early.

Decided to just drive.

I know what you’re going through. My Placer bus driver always leaves the 8th & J stop early, so my next option is to run down to 9th & P and hope I get there in time. Otherwise it’s an hour before the next bus.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Seems like there are issues with light rail and being late. Almost everyday since the CRC station opened light rail has been running 20 minutes late leaving Downtown.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@divotmaker 117042 wrote:

I know what you’re going through. My Placer bus driver always leaves the 8th & J stop early, so my next option is to run down to 9th & P and hope I get there in time. Otherwise it’s an hour before the next bus.

They do it to make us work out. That’s why. Shame

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.