fbpx
Advertisements

Losing weight after 40

This topic contains 56 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  weezy 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

I have been trying so hard to loose weight but find it hard now that I m 42 🙁
    I have been doing aerobic walk videos 3-5 miles a day 4-5 days a week and cutting back on carbs but am only seeing little results. Anyone have advice on how to shed the pounds faster?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Keep doing it. Sometimes it just takes time and then you will all the sudden lose 3-4 pounds. Eat smaller meals, more often, 5-6 times a day. You have to burn more calories than put in. Eat more chicken and fish.

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

Yeah I hope so because I am trying hard. I used to be able to loose 5 pounds easy in a week and now its hard to get more then 2 pounds off in a week….Anyone ever use a fat burner before, if so what kind work?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It gets harder as you get older that’s for sure. Your metabolism isn’t as fast. It takes a little time to get that going faster I think.

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

well i just did 4 miles and I will try to another 2 tonight Im hoping I can get it going soon…

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I don’t believe in any of those fat burner pills shakes herbalife any of that.

It’s all about eating correctly and working out. Use MFP – My fitness Pal to track your cals. Continue to keep doing it, I had to remind my mom because she was going to the gym 4 times a week and only lost a pound in 1.5 months. But she was eating like crap. I met her at the gym to show her what excercises to do, she did them once and went back to riding the bicycle at the gym. Word of advice; don’t get discouraged……

I used to drink pre workouts, and post shakes while bulking up. But I decided to go natural and get my proteins from actual food.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think a lot of people go on a diet and lose 5 pounds in two weeks and then get discouraged when in week 3 they don’t lose any. My sister in law is probably 80 lbs at least overweight and is a compulsive dieter. She will do it 2-3 weeks, get excited because she lost 5 pounds and then quit when it gets harder. Anyone can lose 5 pounds in a week. Just eat less and exercise but some of it is water weight too. Week 2 is harder. Another thing is to drink lots of water.

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

My niece say Hydroxycut helped her but I am afraid to try that. Maybe I should use some small weights with my workout videos to help. I not going to give up but I see it may make me longer to achieve my goal.

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

yes i am drinking my water with lemon

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Use little 2.5 pound weights or 5 pound weights. Also, ankle weights I used those when I ran the bleachers at EGHS.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

What worked for me is counting calories and doing lots of exercise. I’m a firm believer in avoiding any type of weight loss supplement. As I’m sure you know, 3500 calories is equal to 1 pound. So, if you can cut 500 calories from your daily calorie requirement (also called your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) you will lose one pound in a week. You can also add in calories you burn from exercise and increase that number. A safe target is 1-2 pounds per week. I always cringe when I hear people say they are losing 5-7 pounds a week. No matter how you look at it, the math just doesn’t work out for that.

I suggest going to this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ and calculate your BMR

Once you have that number, go to this page and determine your total daily calories needs based on your exercise level – http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

This number will tell you how many calories you can take in with your given exercise level and maintain your current weight.

I’m pasting this info from the site above. This will explain how to lose weight:

There are approximately 3500 calories in a pound of stored body fat. So, if you create a 3500-calorie deficit through diet, exercise or a combination of both, you will lose one pound of body weight. (On average 75% of this is fat, 25% lean tissue) If you create a 7000 calorie deficit you will lose two pounds and so on. The calorie deficit can be achieved either by calorie-restriction alone, or by a combination of fewer calories in (diet) and more calories out (exercise). This combination of diet and exercise is best for lasting weight loss. Indeed, sustained weight loss is difficult or impossible without increased regular exercise.

If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.

An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals.

My final piece of advice–If you decide to take this approach, you have to be willing to be 100% honest with yourself in counting calories. A small snack here or there must be counted for this to work. It’s VERY hard to do this. At first, you’ll be surprised how quickly the calories add up. It takes a lot of sacrifice, but if you’re committed to a healthier you and willing to invest the time, you will succeed.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Where is the Like or Thanks button!

Nailed it!

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@gearshark23 108097 wrote:

Where is the Like or Thanks button!

Nailed it!

We don’t have one, but we do have a PayPal button that kinda works the same way 🙂

Ok, I just added one…

fblike

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Give him a thumbs up. Wait, wrong website. 🙂

It really is about being honest with yourself and dedication. I dropped 25 pounds last spring in about 3 months. I put about 10 back on so now I’m trying to lose it back but I’m not dedicated enough yet to do it. I was running 3-4 miles a day and eating less. The hard time for me is mid afternoon and then at dinner I eat too much.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@EGL Admin 108092 wrote:

I think a lot of people go on a diet and lose 5 pounds in two weeks and then get discouraged when in week 3 they don’t lose any. My sister in law is probably 80 lbs at least overweight and is a compulsive dieter. She will do it 2-3 weeks, get excited because she lost 5 pounds and then quit when it gets harder. Anyone can lose 5 pounds in a week. Just eat less and exercise but some of it is water weight too. Week 2 is harder. Another thing is to drink lots of water.

I meant to address this too. As you indicated, eating can be an emotional response and that is a recipe for disaster (pun intended). I can remember times where I’d consistently be losing 1-2 pounds a week, then I’d gain a pound in another week. It would really make me mad because I was doing everything the same week in and week out. But I stuck with it and then the following week I’d be down 2 pounds again. I have no explanation for it, but I’m glad I didn’t quit. Only thing I can think of is water weight can play a big role in your weight reading.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

OK, let me through my free advice out there that would would usually have to pay a lot of money for. 😉

1. You are not going to lose weight in a gym or through exercise. Sorry. Not going to happen. I cycled somewhere around 4600 miles last year and I was up 15 lbs in 2014. And I don’t eat tons. Moral of the story people destroy their diets by “rewarding” a workout with food. The current exercise recommendation is 150 minutes of moderate activity a week. So 30 min, 5 times a week is perfect. Moderate means if you are walking, running, biking, you would have some effort getting a full sentence out. work on building leg muscles, they burn calories when used, as do all large muscle groups.

2. Calorie counting is a must. Sorry there has to be an account of what you are eating. It has to be honest. Consumer reports recommended Weight Watchers a few years back. They do modified calorie counting with “point’ system. For my patients I advise, My fitness pal which is an excellent app. You must get a kitchen scale and measure all your portions. Try to hit the calories they recommend. Don’t go too far under, it will put your body in shut down starvation mode. Don’t “eat” the calories they credit you for exercise. Just leave them out there. Ideally if you start counting calories you will lean towards lean proteins and veggies, because carbs are going to gobble up all your calories quick. I recommend probably eating 5 times a day. This is going to put your meals somewhere in the 300 calorie range, plus or minus. Try to avoid alcohol, it has a lot of calories, and weakens your resolve. Don’t drink calories. Water, iced tea, black coffee. Avoid artificial sweeteners and diet sodas – they are implicated in weight gain. Don’t eat out as a rule, and NEVER eat anywhere with a drive through window.

3. Goal weight loss should be 1-2 pounds a week. If someone drops 5 lbs in 1 week when starting a diet, at least half of that is going to be water weight. Realistic expectations. And the closer you get to goal weight the more stubborn the weight is going to be. I also recommend getting waist and hip measurements for another way to check progress.

4. There is no magic pill, supplement, etc. If there was you wouldn’t see fat person one on the street. How many people you see rolling around with leprosy? None? Yeah, that’s because we have a pill for that.

5. It took you a long time to put on the weight, it will take an equally long time to lose it. Set realistic long and short term goals.

6. Figure out your triggers. Are you a stress eater? Emotional eater? Work on you mood – I recommend exercise, and yoga, with emphasis on breathing exercises. Social eater? Might want to lighten your calendar, or start planning social events around things other than meals and eating. Find some fit friends and/or people who are really motivated to lose weight with you. People adopt the lifestyle and habits of those in their ground of friends.

Lest you think I am talking out of my butt, in my mid 30s I was 80 lbs heaver than I am now. I’ve kept dropping for close to a decade now from the epiphany I needed to lead by example. I slip up some like last year, but that 15 I gained? I’m down 25 this year.

If you want any more advice let me know.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@divotmaker 108096 wrote:

What worked for me is counting calories and doing lots of exercise. I’m a firm believer in avoiding any type of weight loss supplement. As I’m sure you know, 3500 calories is equal to 1 pound. So, if you can cut 500 calories from your daily calorie requirement (also called your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) you will lose one pound in a week. You can also add in calories you burn from exercise and increase that number. A safe target is 1-2 pounds per week. I always cringe when I hear people say they are losing 5-7 pounds a week. No matter how you look at it, the math just doesn’t work out for that.

I suggest going to this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ and calculate your BMR

Once you have that number, go to this page and determine your total daily calories needs based on your exercise level – http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

This number will tell you how many calories you can take in with your given exercise level and maintain your current weight.

I’m pasting this info from the site above. This will explain how to lose weight:

There are approximately 3500 calories in a pound of stored body fat. So, if you create a 3500-calorie deficit through diet, exercise or a combination of both, you will lose one pound of body weight. (On average 75% of this is fat, 25% lean tissue) If you create a 7000 calorie deficit you will lose two pounds and so on. The calorie deficit can be achieved either by calorie-restriction alone, or by a combination of fewer calories in (diet) and more calories out (exercise). This combination of diet and exercise is best for lasting weight loss. Indeed, sustained weight loss is difficult or impossible without increased regular exercise.

If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.

An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals.

My final piece of advice–If you decide to take this approach, you have to be willing to be 100% honest with yourself in counting calories. A small snack here or there must be counted for this to work. It’s VERY hard to do this. At first, you’ll be surprised how quickly the calories add up. It takes a lot of sacrifice, but if you’re committed to a healthier you and willing to invest the time, you will succeed.

And yet you always are trying to feed me on the bike!!!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@doclaguna 108101 wrote:

OK, let me through my free advice out there that would would usually have to pay a lot of money for. 😉

1. You are not going to lose weight in a gym or through exercise. Sorry. Not going to happen. I cycled somewhere around 4600 miles last year and I was up 15 lbs in 2014. And I don’t eat tons. Moral of the story people destroy their diets by “rewarding” a workout with food. The current exercise recommendation is 150 minutes of moderate activity a week. So 30 min, 5 times a week is perfect. Moderate means if you are walking, running, biking, you would have some effort getting a full sentence out. work on building leg muscles, they burn calories when used, as do all large muscle groups.

2. Calorie counting is a must. Sorry there has to be an account of what you are eating. It has to be honest. Consumer reports recommended Weight Watchers a few years back. They do modified calorie counting with “point’ system. For my patients I advise, My fitness pal which is an excellent app. You must get a kitchen scale and measure all your portions. Try to hit the calories they recommend. Don’t go too far under, it will put your body in shut down starvation mode. Don’t “eat” the calories they credit you for exercise. Just leave them out there. Ideally if you start counting calories you will lean towards lean proteins and veggies, because carbs are going to gobble up all your calories quick. I recommend probably eating 5 times a day. This is going to put your meals somewhere in the 300 calorie range, plus or minus. Try to avoid alcohol, it has a lot of calories, and weakens your resolve. Don’t drink calories. Water, iced tea, black coffee. Avoid artificial sweeteners and diet sodas – they are implicated in weight gain. Don’t eat out as a rule, and NEVER eat anywhere with a drive through window.

3. Goal weight loss should be 1-2 pounds a week. If someone drops 5 lbs in 1 week when starting a diet, at least half of that is going to be water weight. Realistic expectations. And the closer you get to goal weight the more stubborn the weight is going to be. I also recommend getting waist and hip measurements for another way to check progress.

4. There is no magic pill, supplement, etc. If there was you wouldn’t see fat person one on the street. How many people you see rolling around with leprosy? None? Yeah, that’s because we have a pill for that.

5. It took you a long time to put on the weight, it will take an equally long time to lose it. Set realistic long and short term goals.

6. Figure out your triggers. Are you a stress eater? Emotional eater? Work on you mood – I recommend exercise, and yoga, with emphasis on breathing exercises. Social eater? Might want to lighten your calendar, or start planning social events around things other than meals and eating. Find some fit friends and/or people who are really motivated to lose weight with you. People adopt the lifestyle and habits of those in their ground of friends.

Lest you think I am talking out of my butt, in my mid 30s I was 80 lbs heaver than I am now. I’ve kept dropping for close to a decade now from the epiphany I needed to lead by example. I slip up some like last year, but that 15 I gained? I’m down 25 this year.

If you want any more advice let me know.

I would rather you throw it out there next time. 🙂

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

My nemeses is pop tarts. I have thrown out all the junk food out of the house. I watch what I eat. I try and not let myself have snacks. I run. Dont run too far at first or you will be so sore you won’t want to do it anymore. Small steps. I have never been on a diet or tried diet supplements. I dont believe in diets. My hubby went on a diet for our vacation over the summer, but thats what it was, as soon as he stopped dieting he got big again. He has a huge family, not huge as in many, but they are fat fattys. He has alot going against him, but he still tries to stay away from that horrible diabetes .

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Calories in, calories out… Thermodynamics. You can make it more complicated, but that it the basic equation. My anecdotal experience from teaching basic training, is that your body will resist dropping weigh as you lower your caloric intake. I think it is a psychological reaction to what the body perceives as starvation. I heard so many men and women complain that they were eating very little, and running all the time and not losing weight. About the second week of basic, the weight would start coming off. Once they started the burning, they could eat more and were still losing weight. Eventually they would get down to their goal weight and they could eat and still maintain.

I don’t know or care much about the science, but I saw a bunch of large people lose a ton of weight quickly and safely. You may not have the luxury of 8 weeks of basic training, but the mechanics are still the same. Eat smart, lower your caloric intake, and increase your exercise and you caloric burn rate. You can’t fool the numbers…

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

There is some evidence (not enough to be good science yet unfortunately) that the resistance to dropping weight can be connected to an unintentional hormonal signal we get from certain foods we eat. That doesn’t mean we get to avoid counting calories, though. It just means that it is worth adjusting the kind of food you eat if your body fights back too hard making you too lethargic. If you are eating properly, you shouldn’t be too unwilling to exercise.

The emergency ‘starvation’ signal might be faked and if you think about it… food with that kind of additive would be very successful on the market. The best guesses I’ve seen for this possibility involve some of the highly processed carbs we eat. Vary things up, but keep counting and don’t give up.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@doclaguna 108102 wrote:

And yet you always are trying to feed me on the bike!!!

The bigger you are, the more you block the wind for me!

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Change up your workouts, watch your portions, up the protein and you will succeed. When people say they can’t lose weight, they really mean they don’t want to REALLY look at what they are putting in their mouth. I workout every single day, often twice a day, for at least 2 hours a day. NONE of that matters when I’m not watching my intake as well. I do a lot of weights, added more cardio, and people have been telling me lately that I am really losing weight the past 3 months. I don’t weigh myself at all. Weighing myself makes me depressed, so I just stopped doing it. I turn 49 this year. It is really possible to lose weight after 40. Don’t get discouraged, and if something doesn’t work, change it up. It’s not a diet you are looking for, it’s something that you are willing to stick with for a lifetime of health. 🙂

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

I’ve had the best results about a year ago by cutting out Carbs completely. Well, only eating simple carbs.
    Plan your meals and have snacks on hand. If I am hungry and don’t have anything ready I tend to go for the easy snack which is usually bad for you.
    Then exercise. I walked about 3-4 miles a few time a week, did pushups and situps. And occasionally did the cardio workout from P90X.

I also tracked my steps and sleep using the UP band and tracked EVERYTHING I ate with the My Fitness Pal App.

I just started this week by re-focusing my attention on what I eat and trying to exercise more since I have put some weight back on since losing about 40 pounds.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

I didn’t see one more piece to the puzzle yet. From what I have read, for every 1lbs of muscle you put on, your body burns and extra 50 calories a day just to maintain. So if you put on 10lbs of muscle, that is 500 calories a day you will burn just for having that muscle. They say muscle is the fire the burns the calories. Any trainers out there care to comment on this?

weezy
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 3
    • Total Posts - 3

My wife used to be a personal trainer and is a nutritionist… I don’t remeber the numbers, but she says that a pound of muscle burns calories at a greater rate than a pound of fat, and a pound of muscle is 1/3 the volume of fat (so you will look trimmer at the same weight). Her number one advice though is you can’t out train a bad diet.

A few simple things you can do that aren’t overly complicated that can help are cutting out as much sugar as you can, try not to drink your calories, do not eat after dinner, eat until you are about 80% full, drink a glass of water or eat an apple before you even start your meal.

I second and third not taking hydroxycut and the other weight loss “aides”, but you might add a small dose of a fiber supplement, it can help you feel full between meals.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Lots of good advice on this thread.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

For exercise try to find something fun to do. I hate exercising for the sake of exercising. I want productive exercise. I have a part time job doing yard duty at a local school. I work three times a week so that is 8-10 hours a week of being on my feet and walking. And it’s fun. Also things around the house that can be done incorporating exercise, vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing; yardwork including mowing, raking, trimming shrubs,squatting to pull weeds. Why pay for a gym membership and pay for someone to do all of this work for you? Scrap the gym membership. fire the housekeeper and gardner and do all this work yourself. It is never ending so you will not run out of things to do. I haven’t lost much weight doing all of the ablove but my cholesterol numbers hve taken a big drop this past year. (still working on that pesky blood sugar number though).

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

So I have a few years before I’m 40 to lose these 20 lbs. Better get on it now.

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

Thanks for all the advice. I did 3 miles yesterday early morning, 3 miles before dinner, then another mile after dinner. I feel amazing today. I am going to re- read all this helpful info and take the advice you all gave me. I will keep you updated 😉

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

yes seems harder after I turned 40

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

@bevone 108217 wrote:

For exercise try to find something fun to do. I hate exercising for the sake of exercising. I want productive exercise. I have a part time job doing yard duty at a local school. I work three times a week so that is 8-10 hours a week of being on my feet and walking. And it’s fun. Also things around the house that can be done incorporating exercise, vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing; yardwork including mowing, raking, trimming shrubs,squatting to pull weeds. Why pay for a gym membership and pay for someone to do all of this work for you? Scrap the gym membership. fire the housekeeper and gardner and do all this work yourself. It is never ending so you will not run out of things to do. I haven’t lost much weight doing all of the ablove but my cholesterol numbers hve taken a big drop this past year. (still working on that pesky blood sugar number though).

You should try 2000mg cinnamon supplements 20 min before each meal 3x a day it helps alot

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

@EGL Admin 108184 wrote:

Lots of good advice on this thread.

Yes, i agree! I am copy and pasting to a word document so i can read again later 🙂

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

@tomwaltman 108110 wrote:

Calories in, calories out… Thermodynamics. You can make it more complicated, but that it the basic equation. My anecdotal experience from teaching basic training, is that your body will resist dropping weigh as you lower your caloric intake. I think it is a psychological reaction to what the body perceives as starvation. I heard so many men and women complain that they were eating very little, and running all the time and not losing weight. About the second week of basic, the weight would start coming off. Once they started the burning, they could eat more and were still losing weight. Eventually they would get down to their goal weight and they could eat and still maintain.

I don’t know or care much about the science, but I saw a bunch of large people lose a ton of weight quickly and safely. You may not have the luxury of 8 weeks of basic training, but the mechanics are still the same. Eat smart, lower your caloric intake, and increase your exercise and you caloric burn rate. You can’t fool the numbers…

Yes, I am just trying to burn more calories then I take in and drink lots of water.

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

@divotmaker 108096 wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 🙂

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

As one who has gone through two major weight loss campaigns and am on my third, I’d like to address DocL’s well crafted post, point by point. History–at 26 y.o. I lost 40 pounds on the Atkins diet (not recommended because of the fat). At 50 I lost 83 lbs with heavy workouts and eating per Bill Phillips Body for Life, which, in my opinion, is the best diet there is IF you are working out with aerobics and resistance training. Now in my mid 60s, I’m still using the BFL life plan but with fewer carbs because I’m not working out much. So far down 14 lbs. in 5 weeks. Not bad, not great, but OK for my age.

1. You are not going to lose weight in a gym or through exercise.
    This is probably only my point of disagreement as he stated, but I doubt this was intent. You are looking for net calories (intake – calorie burn). If your total daily intake is 1800 calories and you burn 600, your net calorie intake is 1200 and you will lose weight. If you take in 3500 and burn 500 your net intake is 3000 calories and you will not lose weight. I think this is what he meant.

All perfectly stated and absolute fact in my opinion. Besides weighing and not guessing, the bolded sentence is in my opinion maybe the most important change one can make. 4-6 small meals a day. I use a meal substitute shake with 6g of carbs for 1-2 of mine, and I add a handful of strawberries for some tasty carbs. I’m still under 250 calories per serving.

WRITE-IT-DOWN! You will NEVER get it right if you don’t. I don’t track protein because that is mostly what I eat. I don’t track fat any more because I know my content in 1 slice of bacon, 2 oz. of pastrami, and two caps of Omega 3, and that is about it for my fats that matter.

Take pictures too. One before you start, then every month thereafter. That is really helpful for your psyche. I didn’t this time–couldn’t stand it ;-). When I lost my 83 lbs, I averaged 2.85 pounds a week. That was a little too fast, and it showed in loose skin and looking a little drawn at the end. I shoot for 2 now, average.

No, not equally, necessarily. It took me about 10 years to gain back all the weight I lost, and I will get it off in well under a year. But, yes, set realistic goals and stick with them.

Mine is simple. I got lazy. Now my prep rarely involves anything other than the use of a good chef’s knife, a blender, and a microwave. Everything is pre cooked if possible and my only task is assembling. I always lose weight at Club Med because the choices are all there for me. If I have to work too hard, I won’t do it. Know thyself.

Some things I eat now:

Mornings: A meal replacement shake with some strawberries.
    Lunch: 1 cup Egg Beaters with 2 oz. of pastrami, mushrooms, fat free cheese, chili sauce. Microwaved.
    Mid Afternoon: Can of tuna in water, mixed with mustard. Might nuke up some green beans too. Don’t steam veggies.
    Dinner (early): Large mixing bowl of spinach, 3 oz. chicken breast cut up, mushrooms, 1 tbs. Trader Joes’s Spicey Peanut Vinegarette dressing.
    Around 7 pm: A meal replacement shake, no carbs added.

I don’t vary my menu much. Sometimes I’ll have a serving of calamari fried in a Pam treated pan. I might have some grilled salmon, catfish, or a 12% fat hamburger plain. Often I’ll juice up some carrots, beets, and celery for juice which I love but there’s enough sugar there to bother you if you drink too much.

I have a large bowl of ground cauliflower with some other stuff that tastes like fried rice with some soy sauce added. I will eat as much of that as i want if I get a little hungry. It is 100% vegetables.

No bread or grains. Those and sugar are your biggest enemy. Track your carbs and keep them under 50g a day if you’re not working out hard. If you must have grains, a quarter cup of raw oatmeal in a shake is a great way to start off the day with “time-release” and good quality carbs. Plus it tastes really good.

YMMV. Experiment– record, weigh, measure, observe clothing fit, and adjust. Anyone can do it, but the key is to find stuff that tastes good, and to eat when you’re hungry.

For first time dieters, Weight Watchers may work. I don’t like it because you get these small sugar based “treats” thats set me off into a binge. Jenny Craig is expensive but it’s like feeding a pet–everything is controlled. It works too.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think another thing is making it a lifestyle choice and not a “diet”. If it’s a diet to just lose weight then you’ll gain it back because it’s hard to stay on a strict eating regimen. You’ll eventually get burned out. It’s okay I think in the short term, but long term you’re not going to count calories and all that stuff. You can also eat less, don’t eat after dinner, but you should allow yourself to cheat once in awhile. Have a piece of cake or dessert.

With women the water weight seems to be a bigger deal to take into account.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

That is the tough part, sticking with it after you are at goal. Each time I do better, but always manage to blow up again over time.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

Here’s a pretty neat site showing what 100 calories looks like for different foods. Most people have no idea and just go with “if it’s healthy, I should be able to eat as much as I want.”

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1987

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

Cut the carbs and drink lots of water!! It’s the only thing that works for me. It doesn’t matter how much time I spend at the gym. Get your carbs from healthy veggies. Also….cauliflower fried rice and mash potatoes rock!!! That is my new go to!!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Sometimes on a short term basis there is no rhyme or reason to your weight. You can do well and gain two pounds and then slack off and lose two.

Weekend before last we were out of town and ate out 3 times. I ended up gaining 3-4 lbs over 3 days. From last Sunday night to this morning I lost almost 8 lbs. Granted that was after dinner that Sunday and before breakfast today. My weight usually changes 1-2 lbs over night. That’s still 6 lbs in a week. I did watch what I ate a lot more this week. I walked about 30 miles. I’m trying to lose 15 more. If I do that would be the lowest I’ve weighed in 25+ years. Trying to get my cholesterol and my blood pressure down. Hoping that will help with other health issues too.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Thats why I said “Dont ever go on a diet”. Do it for life. It is so hard. I have seen people try so very hard, and they yo yo back and forth with their weight. I have seen way too many over weight men die in their 50’s because of the heart. Just try to do it for life.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@violarose 108690 wrote:

Thats why I said “Dont ever go on a diet”. Do it for life. It is so hard. I have seen people try so very hard, and they yo yo back and forth with their weight. I have seen way too many over weight men die in their 50’s because of the heart. Just try to do it for life.

You’re right. A diet is temporary and usually not something you like and requires more work planning meals and knowing what to eat. If a person doesn’t want to get too technical and obsessed with it, you can do it by just cutting back. Eat smaller helpings. Eat healthy snacks. I eat greek yogurts, protein bars, and string cheese, sometimes with a few crackers for my between meal snacks. You want something that is easier to stick to, that you don’t mind doing and enjoy the food for the long term. So many people going on these diets that are super strict and they lose weight but then they quit and gain it all back. Short term they may work but long term I haven’t seen too many people I know lose it and keep it off my using those diets.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

When I got serious about losing weight, I made a complete dietary change. I cut down portions (sound advice Doc), and changed the things I eat, especially for lunch. I eat tuna packets or salad for lunches now. I don’t eat many snacks, and things like pizza are pretty rare. I don’t worry about what we eat for dinner so much. That is a family meal, and we try to eat well, but not unhealthy. I just don’t eat as much as I used to. My focus is on maintaining a fairly low caloric intake. My burn rate is pretty high because of my running. That way, I don’t risk gaining weight even when I occasionally eat something that might not be on the “low-cal” list.

I wouldn’t discourage anyone who is significantly overweight from finding and sticking to a diet, I would pound home the fact that you must make lifelong dietary changes to ensure you develop good eating habits and can maintain their weight loss for life, rather than just during a period of dieting.

Finally, learning to be active, and doing something, anything, that gets you up and moving is vital to losing weight and keeping it off. Running, walking, skipping, playing golf, or swimming… ANYTHING. Just get up and get active. If you think you can’t do that, come out to any running event, and you will see examples of people who have overcome great challenges to be active. I was passed by a guy pushing a baby stroller yesterday during a race. Dude was flying. He wasn’t going to let that slow him down.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Tom, I saw that guy pushing the stroller. He was flying. He had two little kids in the stroller

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

My nephew and his wife, both over 40 have been doing a diet called the 4 hour diet. http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/expert-reviews-timothy-ferriss-4-hour-body

The husband of another niece did it and lost 40 lbs in 2 months. My nephew has lost 18 lbs in 3 weeks and his wife lost 8 lbs so far. He wasn’t fat, he just wanted to lose some weight. He was like 6’2″, 225. It’s not a new diet. It’s basically no carbs, most all protein. He said what they do is every sunday he cooks 6-7 steaks and pieces of chicken and that’s their lunch for the week. He’s on the go all day so he takes a tupperware container with cut up chicken and steak and eats that all day, cold out of the container. His wife mixes hers with veggies. In the morning they eat beacon and egg whites, with some regular egg mixed in. There are no fruits, no carbs (no rice, bread, cereal etc). Pretty much all protein and drink lots of water. You can have a glass of red wine and you can have black coffee. You pretty much exercise 15 minutes a day. You do some push ups and sit ups and then stand in the door way and pull yourself forward and back. It’s kind of chest/back workout. You can workout at a gym too, but it’s not necessary. They don’t do a lot of cardio, just walking a few days a week. One day a week is a cheat day. He said the first week he lost 7 lbs, then gained like 4 back on his cheat day. But then lost another 7 or 8, gained a couple back and then lost more. Thinking my wife and I might try it out and see what happens for a couple of weeks.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Isn’t that basically Atkins?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

pretty much. Kind of Paleo too maybe, I don’t know.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@EGL Admin 109380 wrote:

My nephew and his wife, both over 40 have been doing a diet called the 4 hour diet. http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/expert-reviews-timothy-ferriss-4-hour-body

The husband of another niece did it and lost 40 lbs in 2 months. My nephew has lost 18 lbs in 3 weeks and his wife lost 8 lbs so far. He wasn’t fat, he just wanted to lose some weight. He was like 6’2″, 225. It’s not a new diet. It’s basically no carbs, most all protein. He said what they do is every sunday he cooks 6-7 steaks and pieces of chicken and that’s their lunch for the week. He’s on the go all day so he takes a tupperware container with cut up chicken and steak and eats that all day, cold out of the container. His wife mixes hers with veggies. In the morning they eat beacon and egg whites, with some regular egg mixed in. There are no fruits, no carbs (no rice, bread, cereal etc). Pretty much all protein and drink lots of water. You can have a glass of red wine and you can have black coffee. You pretty much exercise 15 minutes a day. You do some push ups and sit ups and then stand in the door way and pull yourself forward and back. It’s kind of chest/back workout. You can workout at a gym too, but it’s not necessary. They don’t do a lot of cardio, just walking a few days a week. One day a week is a cheat day. He said the first week he lost 7 lbs, then gained like 4 back on his cheat day. But then lost another 7 or 8, gained a couple back and then lost more. Thinking my wife and I might try it out and see what happens for a couple of weeks.

I did this diet. It is from Tim Ferris. it is called the Slow Carb Diet Very similar to Paleo except you can eat beans (refried, Pinto, black, etc..)

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow-Carb_Diet

There are a few goals. Like eat protein early in the morning, eat multiple meals, etc..

I did it for 100 days with exercise. It worked great for me, when I followed it.

I am starting it again because I haven’t been eating well lately.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

My issue is not having carbs. I can’t do the full on diet like this. I don’t like the feeling I get and that exacerbates other issues. I would do better on a low carb diet, especially in the mornings. I can less or no carbs later for lunch and dinner. But the mornings I need some carbs.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@EGL Admin 109436 wrote:

My issue is not having carbs. I can’t do the full on diet like this. I don’t like the feeling I get and that exacerbates other issues. I would do better on a low carb diet, especially in the mornings. I can less or no carbs later for lunch and dinner. But the mornings I need some carbs.

I had a hard time at first. But it got easier for me. Maybe try some slow carbs in the morning. Eggs and Black Beans?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I reached my first goal of getting under 190 today. I did it about a year ago for the first time in probably 20+ years. Didn’t last long then. This time my ultimate goal is to get under 180. I don’t know when the last time that was. Probably 30 years ago. I was walking 3-4 miles a day, every day. Then about a month ago I decided to increase it. I went from 25-30 miles a week to over 40 and then over 50 miles a week now. I’ve been walking and running about 50-50 and doing 6 miles in the morning and sometimes another 3-4 in the evenings. This morning I did 10 miles. Ran and walked. I lost about 8-10 lbs in the past 6 weeks. It is so much easier to run and walk carrying 10 less pounds.
    I highly recommend Brooks shoes. I found the Men’s Adrenaline GTS about a year ago and they are really comfortable. My feet used to bother me but not anymore. They are not cheap. Around $100 but worth it if you walk or run a lot

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I got suckered into trying on a pair of Hoka OneOnes the other day after a race. I am a pretty loyal ASICS guy, and I love my GEL-Nimbus shoes. I am hypersupenated, so I need a ton of cushioning. The Hokas felt like I had pillows on my feet. I may buy a pair to rotate with my ASICS. I finally decided to get a pair of ASICS racing flats. With the 5K and 10K races that I mostly run, I am not worried about the lack of cushioning. I need to pick up speed. I am working on breaking the 7:45 barrier (fastest I have sustained a run out 3 or more miles). I really want to get down below 20:00 in the 5K before I am too old to manage it. The window is closing, and I need to get it in gear.

EGclubCoach
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 15
    • Total Posts - 16

I lost 50 pounds a few years ago by cutting most of the processed sugar I was eating and playing basketball 4-5 times a week. My goal was to get down to 198lbs, I got there and have hovered around 200 since (5 years). I am back to drinking a ton (6-10) soda’s a day and my weight has just started to increase again (210 at the moment)

I think the key to losing the weight most people want to loose is exercising to and keeping a sweat going. Not necessarily high intensity just enough to continue a sweat. Walking will work but not like a sweat induced regimen.

Sugar is the key though, it’s everywhere! Until we as a country view refined sugar the way we view cigarettes, the country will continue to be obese.

I’ve always said… Alcoholics aren’t addicted to alcohol, they’re addicted to the sugar our bodies produce when breaking down the alcohol they drink. At least that’s always been my theory.

Losing weight is tough! Good luck to everyone that tries!!

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

lost 17 so far and fasting blood sugar has been 117 (feeling good) Goal to get fasting blood sugar under 90 🙂

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

That’s great news! When do you go in for your next A1c – Have you hit the 3 month marker with the changes you have made or still a bit to go?

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

@scarlet 111947 wrote:

That’s great news! When do you go in for your next A1c – Have you hit the 3 month marker with the changes you have made or still a bit to go?

I go back end of June.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Great job. Keep working on it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.