My Target Hell

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  gearshark23 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

About a year ago, I got $200 in Cabela’s gift cards from my daughter as a Christmas present. A few months ago I tried to use them, but Cabela’s told me the cards had not been activated by Target. I just let it go for a few months.

Last night at 9pm, thinking the store would not be very crowded, I went to the Citrus Heights customer service desk, receipt in hand. No one in line, store was next to empty. I explained my problem, and the gal said there’s nothing she could do as they had a 90 day return policy. i kept it soft, and reminded her that gift cards have no expiration date, and that Target had $200 of our money and I had worthless gift cards, even though the receipt showed they had been activated. She tried to scan the receipt, no record.

To her credit, she understood my position, and the entire time the conversation was pleasant. She called Cabela’s and they said it’s not their problem, which is correct, and Cabela’s has great and practically never ending customer service.

Now, the store manager, and it’s 10pm, the store is closed. She tried, and ended the conversation with no solution, nothing they could do at the store level. I asked for an upgrade contact number, and she gave me customer relations.

This morning I called them, and got some guy with next to no English who kept telling me the cards were fakes. I finally got transferred to a floor supervisor in Minneapolis, who was totally gracious and helpful, and said he could re-activate the cards. Gave him all 8 numbers, each 15 digits, and although he had pulled my receipt which stated they were activated, he said there’s something wrong internally, and is going to have to upgrade to the actual gift card vendor.

I got a case number, a contact number, a name, and a promise it would be solved within 48 hours. Let’s hope so–it’s either that or small claims which is the last thing I want to do, but will.

The lesson here in my opinion, is buy from stores that have some local authority for returns and issues. The store people were very nice, and we got along fine, it’s just that even the manager has next to zero authority. I’ve never liked Target, and like them even less now. This is yet another reason so many people default to online purchases. If you’re on eBay it’s self policing and there’s always an equitable solution. Amazon will do anything for you that’s reasonable, even when well beyond the return period. Dozens of other merchants know that there’s an inherent fear of online shopping, and will go to great lengths to assuage those concerns.

Target is not a large company relatively, and they got their butts kicked in Canada and are closing their stores in their one international venture. They’re not expanding domestically, not picking up share, and getting killed by better merchants, both brick and mortar and online. Might be another sign of outdated policies that are driving people to the Internet?

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Wow, you must have the patience of a saint John. Hopefully you will receive some satisfaction and be able to use your cards!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That’s one of those things where things aren’t connected and no one knows what to do when it happens. There is also a scam going around too where people scratch off the numbers of the gift cards at the store and put them back. Then they keep calling the number on the back and once it is activated they use it before the consumer has a chance to.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 121838 wrote:

That’s one of those things where things aren’t connected and no one knows what to do when it happens. There is also a scam going around too where people scratch off the numbers of the gift cards at the store and put them back. Then they keep calling the number on the back and once it is activated they use it before the consumer has a chance to.

Never heard that one. People are desperate these days.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

That ones been happening for years. You always have to check the back of the gift card to make sure the coating over the numbers is still intact.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Yep, It’s been around awhile. It was on the news again the other day.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Oh well then, guess I better start checking the back of gift cards.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Update 12/22/15

On the 15th I got an email from the supervisor in Minneapolis that the problem was with the actual gift card vendor (maker, manufacturer), and that it would be another 24-48 hours.

On the 18th I called, talked to a subordinate who talked to the supervisor, and said it was currently out of their hands, and had been “upgraded” to the gift card vendor.

On the 22nd I called and got the same story, but they offered to check with their vendor and call me back. Calmly, I said no, this is the last call, I’m done. Either the cards get activated now, or I initiate a civil action which is not difficult, certainly not my first choice, but I’m done with the delays.

She put me on hold for less than 60 seconds, came back and told me they had “just received notice” that the cards had been activated. Haven’t tried to use them yet as Cabela’s is playing cute with their pricing just before Christmas, but I’m trusting they are and we have resolution, if not, I’m not going to mess with them any longer. Nice people, but no.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Everyone is passing the buck. That’s how that stuff goes. They just aren’t set up to deal with it. Someone should just say screw it and make it right.

Can you call the number on the back of the card to check the balance?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.