fbpx

New security flaw in credit card chips revealed*

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  infinkc 3 years, 1 month ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #177689

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    If you’re not already using Apple Pay or Android Pay, you may want to start. The new security chips in our credit cards are not as safe as we were told. *Using the mobile pay systems offers better encryption for consumers. More are more businesses are accepting this form of payment. Computer researchers have found Read More …

    More…

  • #294761

    Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

    I seriously want to go back to just using checks and cash. My husband and I went into Target, he put in his card (has the new chip) and it kept getting an error code, 3 times, and wouldn’t take it. Finally I put in my card, (no chip yet) and ran it thru fine. Both cards connect to the same checking acct. Later that night I logged in to our bank acct. and it had actually pulled all three times from my husbands card and once from mine. The bank did catch it and reversed the charges. So was it the machines fault at Target? Targets Fault? The chips fault or the bank?

  • #294756

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    Great! I use my credit card for everything to get Amazon points, my debit card only at ARCO (yes, I’m finally a convert. Too much evidence that the refined unleaded is now all the same). Probably neither is secure. I guess just watch your statements.

  • #294751

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    I use Apple Pay whenever I can. I’m happy Bel Air finally started taking it. I hate the chips. It takes longer and your card is out of your hands.

  • #294757

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    If you say so. I guess I’ll have to look into it.

  • #294759

    newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

    I use my cc for everything too. I don’t use my ATM card as a debit card at all, and in fact had my bank card changed to just an ATM card so it can’t even be used as as a debit card. Too much risk there for me. But we look over our cc charges often, and when our card has been used fraudulently, the card issuers have caught it before we could each time.

  • #294764

    plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

    @lc 127133 wrote:

    Great! I use my credit card for everything to get Amazon points, my debit card only at ARCO (yes, I’m finally a convert. Too much evidence that the refined unleaded is now all the same). Probably neither is secure. I guess just watch your statements.

    Really? I know that my old Chevy truck ran like crap on Arco gas. I haven’t had that truck for about 10 years now, but I never went back to using it. Maybe I might have to get a debit card just for gas… I have been using Costco gas for a long time but they are only where they are.. not always close at hand.. Costco has been about the same price as Arco I think.. uuummm

  • #294758

    LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

    @plasmadrive 127138 wrote:

    Really? I know that my old Chevy truck ran like crap on Arco gas. I haven’t had that truck for about 10 years now, but I never went back to using it. Maybe I might have to get a debit card just for gas… I have been using Costco gas for a long time but they are only where they are.. not always close at hand.. Costco has been about the same price as Arco I think.. uuummm

    ARCO used to be Chinese gasoline, and it was real junk. There are enough people in the industry who have sworn the gasoline all comes from a handful of regional refineries now, and branded with additives or just branded. I’m using it in the Subie and cannot see any difference at all from Chevron. I use Sea Foam as an additive usually, sometimes Techron. I don’t know if it matters, but I think it may keep the fuel system a little cleaner and moisture free from the ethanol.

  • #294762

    SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

    Arco gas is as good as Chevron or any of the other majors. Most of the non-majors are inferior but I trust in Costco because they never skimp on quality so I fill up there when the lines aren’t too long (which means about once every 6 months). Otherwise I use Arco.

  • #294752

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    I have heard the same thing as LC from a couple of sources including Gil Moore. All the oil goes in the same place and then the different companies add in their own additives. Like Shell, Chevron etc, but the base is the same. AM-PM is cheaper because they don’t take credit cards so that saves them a few cents and they take a lower profit margin to sell more gas. Selling more gas doesn’t increase their overhead besides the cost of the gas. It’s not like they need more employees and more benefits to sell more. They just have to buy more gas.

  • #294754

    adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

    @EGL Admin 127134 wrote:

    It takes longer and your card is out of your hands.

    I agree that it takes longer, but most places I see that use it face the device outward. The card does not leave my hands.

  • #294755

    adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

    @EGL Admin 127129 wrote:

    If you’re not already using Apple Pay or Android Pay, you may want to start. The new security chips in our credit cards are not as safe as we were told. *Using the mobile pay systems offers better encryption for consumers. More are more businesses are accepting this form of payment.

    Competition is good, but until the chip-based cards use two-factor authentication, they aren’t any better than the mag-stripe cards. Defeating counterfeiting efforts is just one of the problems with credit cards. Defeating improper use is what consumers should be demanding. Someone else wielding my card should not be authenticated (let alone the transaction authorized) whether the card is authentic or not.

    Two factor methods need not use encryption, but it is much better if they do.

  • #294765

    infinkc
    Participant
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 5
    • Total Posts - 9

    the chip is only good so people cant “skim” your mag stripe, but if they can just edit the contents now to make the car act as a normal one, the whole chip thing is pointless. not sure why they just dont implement a pin code like an atm card for a credit card similar to what target started doing on their red card).

  • #294760

    newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

    @EGL Admin 127134 wrote:

    I use Apple Pay whenever I can. I’m happy Bel Air finally started taking it. I hate the chips. It takes longer and your card is out of your hands.

    Some places it does take longer, other places it goes quickly. I think it appears to go slower though too because rather than just swiping your card and waiting for approval, the card sits in the machine during the approval process.

  • #294753

    EGL Admin
    Member
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

    @newmom 127149 wrote:

    Some places it does take longer, other places it goes quickly. I think it appears to go slower though too because rather than just swiping your card and waiting for approval, the card sits in the machine during the approval process.

    That’s what I meant by it takes longer. What I also don’t like is that on some machines there is no clear choice to choose credit. On some you press cancel or the X and it uses it as a credit. On some if you do that then it cancels the transaction. At Bel Air you still choose if you want debit or credit.

    What I like about Apple Pay is if I go for a run in the morning, I don’t have to bring my wallet and leave it in the car if I want to go to the store afterwards. I already have my phone.

  • #294763

    Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

    More stores need to adopt Apple Pay!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy