fbpx
Advertisements

Newer homes in Meadowview

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NishaG41 3 years ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Had to show a house today in the “newer” subdivision in Meadowview, off Amherst. It was built in 2004. The area is what you would imagine it would be. No one is taking care of their landscaping. it’s either all dead or what is there is weeds. Cars everywhere. The house was about 2100 square feet for $337,000. About $145 a square foot. The carpeting was thrashed. It is currently a rental and the tenants have small rugs and carpet on top of the existing carpet. The walls are very dirty. Can’t imagine paying that much to live in that area. The new homes they will build in Delta Shores will end up the same way. There are going to be streets going from the bad areas right into the new homes. Very stupid planning. The new area should be completely blocked off from it and the only access in should be from Cosumnes River Blvd. Make the riff raff go around the long way to get in there. It was the first time I had ever been in that subdivision.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

You raise a very interesting point about that area. I imagine the City is hoping that the new homes to be built with drive improvements in the area where you were and I have a lot of trouble seeing that happening.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@steveb6509 127432 wrote:

You raise a very interesting point about that area. I imagine the City is hoping that the new homes to be built with drive improvements in the area where you were and I have a lot of trouble seeing that happening.

That is going to be wishful thinking. Rarely does something like that lift the neighborhood up. The neighborhood will bring it down. It’s nice that people will have the option to live in something nice and newer there. I just don’t know how long that will last. The only difference there now is the homes are newer, but when you drive through it all looks the same. Dead lawn, cars everywhere. There is no difference between the old and the new.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I’ve mentioned that area numerous times and how it’s aged horribly. It’s a cautionary tail as not all development is good development. Somebody on here recently asked about new houses on Bruceville road near Jacinto. I told them to stay far away. New homes aren’t new forever.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think as a rule, the farther north you go in Elk Grove, the less nice it is. it’s been that way for awhile. There are definitely areas I wouldn’t want to live in

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 127438 wrote:

I think as a rule, the farther north you go in Elk Grove, the less nice it is. it’s been that way for awhile. There are definitely areas I wouldn’t want to live in

That’s why we love east EG. The rural area north of PGHS acts as a buffer. The Calvine/Vintage Park area isn’t doing so well. Still ok but not a place we were looking when we moved almost 3 years ago. We have some friends in that area and they want out.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 127449 wrote:

That’s why we love east EG. The rural area north of PGHS acts as a buffer. The Calvine/Vintage Park area isn’t doing so well. Still ok but not a place we were looking when we moved almost 3 years ago. We have some friends in that area and they want out.

That’s why we moved here 14 years ago. It’s still rural north and east of there.

NishaG41
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 12

I find this point of view to be extremely elitist, and unhelpful. Let’s just put them on an island!

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@nishag41 128030 wrote:

I find this point of view to be extremely elitist, and unhelpful. Let’s just put them on an island!

Why? it is accurate.. call it what it is.. what is helpful about lying or sugar coating it? If it is a run down piece of crap neighborhood, than it is what it is.. nothing elitist about what they said… truthful does not equal elitist. Only the people that live there can change it.. if they don’t want to put in the effort, then it goes down the toilet… pretty simple concept. Happens all over the country..

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@nishag41 128030 wrote:

It might be elitist, but it’s also reality. Most people want to live in an area where the houses and yards are taken care of, look nice, and maintained, etc. Poorly maintained houses and yards are not attractive looking and bring down the neighborhood. Not only in terms of visual blight but actual property values.
    As for helpful-this conversation wasn’t meant to be a suggestion of how to improve the neighborhood.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@newmom 128033 wrote:

It might be elitist, but it’s also reality. Most people want to live in an area where the houses and yards are taken care of, look nice, and maintained, etc. Poorly maintained houses and yards are not attractive looking and bring down the neighborhood. Not only in terms of visual blight but actual property values.
    As for helpful-this conversation wasn’t meant to be a suggestion of how to improve the neighborhood.

Good point about the conversation, but nothing to do with Elitist attitudes…. I even looked up the dictionary definition and it doesn’t apply that I can tell.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I drove most of the new streets a few weeks ago, just out of curiosity. They are nice and wide, welcoming for very easy access from the north. I don’t know who the target buyer is for Delta Shores, but it has to be driven by economics rather than community. I’ve lived in some pretty bad areas while in grad school, and it’s stressful. You’re always worried about personal safety and bad neighbors. I’m sure the DS developers fought the north-south connectors, but it’s likely the social engineers at city planning thought this would improve Meadowview, just as many of them support inclusionary zoning, which rarely if ever solves long term social issues. Look at Stockton and east Portland as two of many examples. Portland ended up PAYING people to take over homes in one of their social experiment areas. My guess is that as Nisha suggested above, many of the these new neighborhoods will privatize their streets and gate themselves in. It’s not a good way to live, and solves no long term problems for anyone.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

When I bought my second home, it was in a brand new gated development in South Sac. I didn’t research the area much, I was only 23 years old. But it looked ok to me. BIG mistake. lol It went downhill rather quickly, and homeowners started renting out section 8. Not all renters are bad, nor are all section 8 renters, but lets just say it wasn’t good for our home values. πŸ™

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The more renters there are in an area, the worse it will be. That’s just how it is. There are some really great renters, but the % of bad renters is higher than the % of bad homeowners with regards to taking care of their property.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

The commercial center is almost entirely leased, nearly all national tenants. That should be just a dandy place to hang πŸ˜‰ . Just speculating, but if interest rates go up more than 25 basis points or so, that’s going to knock some people out of the EG market so maybe Meadowview will get a second look? Doc, are there any major homebuilders in place there, or are they mostly local?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 128041 wrote:

The commercial center is almost entirely leased, nearly all national tenants. That should be just a dandy place to hang πŸ˜‰ . Just speculating, but if interest rates go up more than 25 basis points or so, that’s going to knock some people out of the EG market so maybe Meadowview will get a second look? Doc, are there any major homebuilders in place there, or are they mostly local?

I didn’t pay attention who was building there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.