fbpx

Old Town Farmers Market Elk Grove

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  leowm 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I went back to the farmers market in Old Town this morning. I went on opening day, April 18, and I wasn’t too impressed, but it was the first day and not much is in season yet. I went back today and it was much better. Much more selection. Better organized. They brought the vendors in more towards the middle. At first they were on the outside edges and now it’s more inviting. One side is all produce type stuff. The other side is vendors selling other stuff and other types of food, bread, pastries, coffee, etc.

The market is every Sunday, 9 am to 1 pm in the Old Town Plaza

I took a live video this morning of what it looks like and it’s on the EGLF FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/401962360349/videos/10154179445000350/

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

Thanks for promoting this. Old Elk Grove is such a cool area to live in. Since the powers that be took away our parades in old town I am glad others have stepped up to keep things alive here. I went early yesterday. I must have come and gone before you did or else you would have seen me dragging my bag on wheels which was quite heavy at the end of my shopping excursion. I bought one of those huge cauliflowers on steroids which really added to the weight of my rolling bag. I plan to try to walk here every Sunday.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I was there around 9:15 am to take the video. I am trying to get people to come to Old Town and support the merchants there. I am meeting with someone from the Old Town Merchants this week to discuss some ideas. Some of the businesses there do little or no marketing, but complain that they don’t get enough business. They think the city of EG should be doing more to support them, but I think they need to support themselves. I am working with 5 businesses down there and I think we can do more if more businesses sign up.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

Are you talking about the farmers market merchants or the store fronts? When I walked by on the way to the market they were all closed. From what I could see the produce vendors seem to have a steady amount of traffic. I think it’s just going to take time for word to get out that these people are there. I would really like to see a lot of locals both from old EG, East EG and central EG support this event. We all need to eat more healthy organic food and now we can almost get it at our back door. What ideas are you discussing with the merchants?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

We usually hit the farmer’s market held in the Sprouts parking lot on Saturday mornings. Much closer for us and a great variety.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

@newmom 126103 wrote:

We usually hit the farmer’s market held in the Sprouts parking lot on Saturday mornings. Much closer for us and a great variety.

I love having these farmers market in various neighborhoods, it’s a great way to support local growers as well as cut down (hopefully) on some of the cross town car traffic.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I always forget about the Farmers Market. Thanks for the reminder both locations.

leowm
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 20
    • Total Posts - 20

I have gone for the last 3 Sundays. I really like the selection of organic produce & fruit. The amount of flowers I buy for $10.00 rivals any $50.00 bouquet from a florist. The only complaint I expressed on FB was the volume of the band/musician. The poor vendors at the end were having to shout along with their customers to be heard. I noticed last week that it was more background music which was so much more pleasant. I hope this continues to grow then maybe some of the merchants might decide to be open on Sundays.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@leow&m 126125 wrote:

I have gone for the last 3 Sundays. I really like the selection of organic produce & fruit. The amount of flowers I buy for $10.00 rivals any $50.00 bouquet from a florist. The only complaint I expressed on FB was the volume of the band/musician. The poor vendors at the end were having to shout along with their customers to be heard. I noticed last week that it was more background music which was so much more pleasant. I hope this continues to grow then maybe some of the merchants might decide to be open on Sundays.

I passed along your suggestion to the city. Hopefully we can get more people down there and maybe some businesses will be open.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy