fbpx
Advertisements

Parents demand recess for kids

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  gearshark23 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

From Fox 40 news. What do you think?

ORANGE COUNTY, Florida (WESH)-

As schools across the country prepare for national and state testing, there is a debate waging over time spent outside the classroom: recess.

In Orange County, Florida, 23 elementary schools in the district have decided not to have any form of recess. According to WESH, there is no district policy about the amount of time, if any, spent at play during the school day.

Parents became upset, and as their children reportedly came home day after day, tired of sitting in a desk all day, they have shared their opinions online, and in petitions.

School officials argue there are state mandates requiring 150 minutes of English, 60 minutes of math and 120 minutes of science each week, among others.

β€œThe real issue is trying to mandate a consistent period of recess for an instructional schedule that is already quite demanding,” Orange County Public School Superintendent Dr. Barbara Jenskins said.

During a recent school board meeting, parents presented them with a petition seeking a minimum 20 minutes of recess each school day.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Home school!

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Parents demand? You would think the teachers would demand recess πŸ˜‰

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

@scarlet 103602 wrote:

Parents demand? You would think the teachers would demand recess πŸ˜‰

Really!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think for younger kids it’s good to have recess and let her go run around and blow off steam.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

It’s more of trying to make boys be like girls, I’m afraid, more minutes of instruction notwithstanding.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Maybe they need to think outside of the box and try different teaching methods, where the kids aren’t sitting at a desk all day

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Kids need recess, what are they thinking?

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

I don’t have a PHd like the Superintendent there so maybe I am miscalculating. I added up all the mandated minutes and came up with 5 1/2 hours of instruction. How long is the school day, 5-6 hours? Assuming they go to school 5 days a week they should be able to squeeze some recesss time in there. Am I missing something in my calculations?

At first when I saw this I thought it was going to be another article about whiney parents and thier children but it seems the school administration are the whiney one’s.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@scarlet 103606 wrote:

Maybe they need to think outside of the box and try different teaching methods, where the kids aren’t sitting at a desk all day

Ya think? 8)

Seriously, though, trimming recess is a demonstration of a process failure OR of scope creep for testing goals OR both.
    Have we been adding testing expectations over the recent years?

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I think school is like 7:45-2:30ish 2:45

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

I supervise kids at recess. They get 15 minutes mid-morning, 30 minutes after they eat their lunch and 15 minutes in the afternoon. In addition they get PE classes during the week. Wow if these kids didn’t have their recesses the teachers and cafeteria workers would be a mess! The staff need their break times too. Rainy days are hard because the kids can’t go out if it’s raining and they get really antsy.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

Bev – is there a eating time at lunch as well as the 30 minutes after they eat their lunch, or is the entire lunch break 30 minutes. You list 3 breaks that total an hour. That seems reasonable to me.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

At our elementary school, the kids get about 45 minutes to eat lunch and play. usually after about 15 the scoot them out to go play

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

At our school, only grades 1-3 get a morning recess, lunch with recess, and afternoon recess. Grades 4,5,6 only get a morning recess and lunch with recess-no afternoon recess.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 103627 wrote:

At our school, only grades 1-3 get a morning recess, lunch with recess, and afternoon recess. Grades 4,5,6 only get a morning recess and lunch with recess-no afternoon recess.

Ours is the too.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

Their lunch eating time is 15 minutes and then recess for 30 minutes. Some kids take longer to eat. I try not to bug the slow eaters to hurry; I feel like they are developing good eating habits by not shoveling their food down.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

The recesses are broken down into three…1st & 2nd grade, then 3rd & 4th grade, then 5th & 6th grade. Since I finish my shift at 1:30 I don’t supervise any afternoon recesses. I am thinking the kids get them but the teachers take turns doing yard duty. Once the new school building opens and they finish up the playground I’m not sure how the schedule will work. Initially it will be the same because even though the new Dillard school building is set to open in fall of this year the new playground will not be completed. That will be done after completion of the building.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I am so glad I am out of elementary. No, wait I am so glad I am done with middle school. lol ! Outside time can be just as important as inside work. Balance.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.