fbpx
Advertisements

This topic contains 81 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Hank_Moody 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think we have done this before but what are some of your pet peeves?

As some of you know I also admin the Facebook page, Elk Grove Pets Lost and Found. I have some pet peeves from that.

1. People reporting lost cats. I am not a fan of cats, but I know they are pets and people love them. If your cat is an outdoor cat, the chances are pretty good at some point it may disappear. It may never come back home. It may find a new home and people start feeding it and it stays there. If the cat is not fixed then the chances of running away are more likely. If it’s male it’s going to search for females and visa versa. I feel bad for the people that post and miss their cats, but part of me wonders what they are expecting.

2. If you have a dog, get it fixed. Also make sure it has a collar with ID tag. Also have it chipped. Every day dogs are found, no tags and no chip. If your dog has neither of those, then you’re asking for trouble. All it takes is a door to be left open, or a gate or whatever. Then you’ll be freaking out. If it has some ID when animal control or someone else finds it they can try and contact you.

3. There are lots of helpful people out there who have some great advice on what to do if you find or lose a dog. That’s great. If you share that information, try to do it all on one post. There is one person who I know means well, but she does 3 separate posts with tips and it’s the same tips every time. I asked her to consolidate it into one post. I get notifications for every post.

Other pet peeves:
    If you’re at a stop light, you don’t need more than one car length between you and the car in front. Scoot up a little bit
    This is redundant, but lane splitting bikers. I hate that. I know it’s “allowed” but I still hate it. It’s not safe.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

People who don’t mind their own business. I remember back on the other site some soccer moms would be complaining about certain behaviors and said they spouted off to the parents, kids, whatever, about it. Best to walk away. It’s really not your concern, and it usually makes you look as bad as the offender. If you don’t mind others doing the same to you, move to Oregon. You’ll get plenty of opinions on your behavior there–they are not shy about that for some reason.

Pathelogical liars/exaggerators.
    There’s a difference, but it’s mostly a gradient. We just received an extensive email from a neighbor about how in one of our centers a certain tenant is causing problems at night with kids partying, and “the cops are there all the time. ” First thing I did is direct our managers to check with the SO for reports. None at that address for the past 180 days. None. Now I asked her to talk to the woman to determine the link between the tenant and the kids partying. My guess is she’s speculating. No doubt there is some partying going on from time to time. A heads up to us was all that was needed. We take whatever action we can either way.

Serial apologists. “You can’t blame them for acting this way, because if you look at…BLAH BLAH BLAH. Race, occupation, geographic demographics, cultural heritage, doesn’t matter. You’re clearly saying they are somehow deficient and have less capability than you in making appropriate decisions, and by extension you are a superior person. Seems quite condescending.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Most of you know I’m not a big fan of smart phones – but yes they do come in handy and I’m starting to figure them out. But if you pick up your phone to scroll thru FB or something else while we are out for lunch/dinner or having a conversation I’m not a happy camper! I see so many people at a parties or get together picking up their phone to see what??? So if that happens I go look for a magazine or a newspaper and make it really obvious.
    Now if you are getting a call or message from one of your kids or spouse – I’m good with that, but don’t check your facebook or egl 😉 (unless you are the admin for it)

Hank_Moody
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 46
    • Total Posts - 64

I don’t think you have enough bandwidth for all of my pet peeves :sarcastic

1. Drivers that veer right before making a u-turn.
    2. Slow drivers in the fast lane. MOVE OVER!
    3. People who line up for food samples at Costco and the location of the food sample tables. I wish there was a disignated area for samples only. I’m trying to shop!
    4. People who walk the wrong direction at the mall. Yes, there is a “Right” direction. 🙂
    5. People that stand up on airplanes before the door is even opened. Mainly, because I’m claustrophobic.
    6. People who have their Christmas lights on their homes “turned on” before Thanksgiving.
    7. People who stand right behind me in line. Give me at least a foot of space.
    8. Kids who cross in the middle of the street and basically dare you to run them over. It takes everything I have not to pull over and confront these punks.
    9. People who don’t have common courtesy.
    10. The little yapper dogs that go freaking nuts when I walk my dog.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I am trying hard not to “Hate” anything or anyone. I am too damned old to be spending what little mental energy I have left worrying about other peoples’ stupidity. Things still annoy me: Bad drivers, People lacking basic courtesy, Friends passing on before I can say good-bye. That kind of thing. No hate, just mild annoyance. I wouldn’t call them pet peeves. More like gnats on the windshield of life…

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

My pet peeve ~ Speed bumps! ack. They are so darn bumpy.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

There are things that annoy me, but I’m all about letting people do what they want whether I personally like it or not (just don’t make me either pay for it or pretend to agree with it).

Except people who hate cats. Those guys are just pathological!

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@wildoates 112641 wrote:

There are things that annoy me, but I’m all about letting people do what they want whether I personally like it or not (just don’t make me either pay for it or pretend to agree with it).

An off-grid hippie i knew well used to have a saying, something like, do what you like, just don’t cut down my trees. I’ve always remembered that.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

The reason bikers or cyclists scoot up and lane split at signals is because it’s safer there between two cars or at the front by/in the sidewalk. Being in the lane at the back of a line of cars is a very exposed position. You ever been rearended while waiting at a light? Imagine getting rear ended on a bike or motorcycle.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I think he’s talking about motorcyclists lane splitting when traffic is moving. That’s sometimes distracting and dangerous. I’ve never seen a cyclist bother or hold back anyone by doing that.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@lc 112646 wrote:

I think he’s talking about motorcyclists lane splitting when traffic is moving. That’s sometimes distracting and dangerous. I’ve never seen a cyclist bother or hold back anyone by doing that.

Same idea. You want the motorcycle to sit in the middle of the lane in stalled traffic so when Joe Blow who is checking his Instagram on his cellphone plows into him he’s good and dead? Lane splitting is far less dangerous as long as they are not going more than 10 mph faster than traffic and traffic is moving slower than 30 mph. And yes cyclist do this going to stop in a safer area, IE out of the reach of still moving cars.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@doclaguna 112649 wrote:

Same idea. You want the motorcycle to sit in the middle of the lane in stalled traffic so when Joe Blow who is checking his Instagram on his cellphone plows into him he’s good and dead? Lane splitting is far less dangerous as long as they are not going more than 10 mph faster than traffic and traffic is moving slower than 30 mph. And yes cyclist do this going to stop in a safer area, IE out of the reach of still moving cars.

Correct. Far safer to be at the front when the light turns than behind a car.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

So to re-rail this thread. I can’t stand people who are late. Be on time. Please.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@divotmaker 112650 wrote:

Correct. Far safer to be at the front when the light turns than behind a car.

Then drive a car. Driving between cars is stupid. I posted a video on FB the other day of some guy that did that and then he got stuck between two cars because there wasn’t room to get between them. So now if either car moves a foot to the inside he gets run over. Not very smart.

I would like to see some data that shows how many motorcyclists are rear ended at stop lights vs those who get in accidents by lane splitting. If safety were a primary concern then they wouldn’t be riding their motorcycles. We drive to Roseville a couple of weeks ago in afternoon traffic on 80 and there were quite a few lane splitting going faster than 20 moh above the flow of traffic. Still don’t see how it’s safer to maneuver between two 2 Ton vehicles moving instead of staying in traffic. That’s not about safety. It’s about not wanting to wait.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

I hate drivers that pull in front of moving traffic first when they clearly shouldn’t, and second, they don’t have the sense to step on the gas and pick up speed to be at least somewhat out of the way.

And since this seems to be a driver peeve theme… I hate when people drive to the front of a line of cars that are all waiting their turn to exit or enter and then these morons force their way in front of that line. To those people I say, wait your damn turn like everyone else. Sometimes I know this happens because people make mistakes.. well, if you screwed up.. go down and turn around. It was YOUR mistake.

Same with those that slow to almost a stop in the middle of moving traffic to make a turn from one or two lanes over because they want to make a turn they screwed up and missed. You screwed up.. go down and turn around.. come back at it from the other way.. don’t become dangerous to others for your mistake at either not paying attention or just not knowing where you are going…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Seems like other drivers are the something most of us have pet peeves with. There is rarely a time when I am driving when I am not thinking what an idiot driver did in front of me. The drivers that pull in front of you and then take their time getting up to speed make me mad. I also hate it when you’re on the freeway and you’re in the fast lane and it’s pretty backed up, then someone comes up in the slow lane and tries to squeeze in front of you. I generally don’t let them in. I will speed up and get closer to the car in front of me.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@EGL Admin 112652 wrote:

Then drive a car. Driving between cars is stupid. I posted a video on FB the other day of some guy that did that and then he got stuck between two cars because there wasn’t room to get between them. So now if either car moves a foot to the inside he gets run over. Not very smart.

I would like to see some data that shows how many motorcyclists are rear ended at stop lights vs those who get in accidents by lane splitting. If safety were a primary concern then they wouldn’t be riding their motorcycles. We drive to Roseville a couple of weeks ago in afternoon traffic on 80 and there were quite a few lane splitting going faster than 20 moh above the flow of traffic. Still don’t see how it’s safer to maneuver between two 2 Ton vehicles moving instead of staying in traffic. That’s not about safety. It’s about not wanting to wait.

Everything you wrote is a logical fallacy. Just because activity X is risky, doesn’t mean doing A versus B while performing activity X isn’t a good idea. Operating a chain saw is dangerous, if I point of using one while wearing eye protection is a good idea, the logical retort is not “Then don’t use a chainsaw.” Working on a ladder is dangerous. If I point out using one on level ground is a good idea, the logical retort is not “Then don’t use a ladder.”

I saw your video, he’s much safer there than he would be stopped at the end of the line of traffic. If a car “moves a foot to the inside” it doesn’t have the same momentum as a car failing to come to a stop.

No it’s not as safe on a motorcycle as it is on a car, but there are ways to limit some of the risk involved. Wear a helmet, watch not to drive in car’s blind spots, and yes at a stop protect yourself by nesting between cars that are already stopped.

As far as “not wanting to wait” you are correct. One of the advantages of a motorcycle in high traffic areas is that when traffic is bumper to bumper you can safely move at a higher speed. That’s legal in California. From your being bothered about it to the point you post videos of people doing innocuous things, and your comments above about tailgating in the fast lane to keep someone from merging, it sounds like you have an issue with “people getting somewhere before you.” Speeding up and not allowing space between the car in front of you and your own car as some sort of “punishment” for another bad driver only perpetuates the problem. It’ll lower your blood pressure of instead of doing that, you leave for where you want to go 10 minutes earlier. Less stressful!

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@doclaguna 112662 wrote:

Speeding up and not allowing space between the car in front of you and your own car as some sort of “punishment” for another bad driver only perpetuates the problem. It’ll lower your blood pressure of instead of doing that, you leave for where you want to go 10 minutes earlier. Less stressful!

You figured this out (if you actually practice it) a good decade ahead of me. Closing up large gaps is one thing, but worrying about someone getting a car length ahead of you is not worth the anxiety. BUT, on the other side and, as far as …….

I hate when people drive to the front of a line of cars that are all waiting their turn to exit or enter and then these morons force their way in front of that line.

Ahhhh…..nah. That is a total sport and head game that I cannot give up. I don’t “force” anything, I simply allow the driver behind me to slow down a bit, and if I’m good I can even get a nice wave back from them. Applies to “parking lots” on freeways too where you duck on and off the freeway. Sorry, but I loved driving in L.A. and never quite got over all of it.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@doclaguna 112662 wrote:

Everything you wrote is a logical fallacy. Just because activity X is risky, doesn’t mean doing A versus B while performing activity X isn’t a good idea. Operating a chain saw is dangerous, if I point of using one while wearing eye protection is a good idea, the logical retort is not “Then don’t use a chainsaw.” Working on a ladder is dangerous. If I point out using one on level ground is a good idea, the logical retort is not “Then don’t use a ladder.”

I saw your video, he’s much safer there than he would be stopped at the end of the line of traffic. If a car “moves a foot to the inside” it doesn’t have the same momentum as a car failing to come to a stop.

No it’s not as safe on a motorcycle as it is on a car, but there are ways to limit some of the risk involved. Wear a helmet, watch not to drive in car’s blind spots, and yes at a stop protect yourself by nesting between cars that are already stopped.

As far as “not wanting to wait” you are correct. One of the advantages of a motorcycle in high traffic areas is that when traffic is bumper to bumper you can safely move at a higher speed. That’s legal in California. From your being bothered about it to the point you post videos of people doing innocuous things, and your comments above about tailgating in the fast lane to keep someone from merging, it sounds like you have an issue with “people getting somewhere before you.” Speeding up and not allowing space between the car in front of you and your own car as some sort of “punishment” for another bad driver only perpetuates the problem. It’ll lower your blood pressure of instead of doing that, you leave for where you want to go 10 minutes earlier. Less stressful!

It’s not a question of getting some place 10 minutes earlier. If you stay letting everyone pull in front of you then that’s more frustrating. Letting people cut in front makes the problem worse. So if you’re waiting in line to go to the movies or a game, would you bs okay with letting people walk up and cut? Hey get there ten minutes earlier right? I don’t think so.

As for the motorcycle riders, as long as they are okay with the risks and driving between cars, go for it. There’s no way that is safer

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

@plasmadrive 112660 wrote:

I hate drivers that pull in front of moving traffic first when they clearly shouldn’t, and second, they don’t have the sense to step on the gas and pick up speed to be at least somewhat out of the way.

And since this seems to be a driver peeve theme… I hate when people drive to the front of a line of cars that are all waiting their turn to exit or enter and then these morons force their way in front of that line. To those people I say, wait your damn turn like everyone else. Sometimes I know this happens because people make mistakes.. well, if you screwed up.. go down and turn around. It was YOUR mistake.

Same with those that slow to almost a stop in the middle of moving traffic to make a turn from one or two lanes over because they want to make a turn they screwed up and missed. You screwed up.. go down and turn around.. come back at it from the other way.. don’t become dangerous to others for your mistake at either not paying attention or just not knowing where you are going…

Yep. It so simple to go to the next exit and turn around. What the heck, you might even discover something you never saw before. At least you won’t cause an accident. This happened to me last week, I was not paying attention and missed my exit. I could have forced my way across two lanes of traffic, but would have been dangerous. I took the next exit and it took about 5 minutes to get back on track.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@EGL Admin 112664 wrote:

There’s no way that is safer

UC Berkeley research says otherwise.

What the Study Found
    The study took two years, and is the result of a joint effort between the California Highway Patrol and researchers at UC Berkeley, and was funded by the Office of Traffic Safety. By analyzing nearly 8,000 traffic collisions, and collecting in-depth information from officers on the scene about the nature of each accident, researchers were able to draw some conclusions about the safety of lane-splitting based on whether or not the rider was splitting lanes at the time of the incident.

Their findings were eye-opening; among them, the study found that:

Lane-splitting riders were much less likely to be rear-ended (2.7% vs. 4.6%), but more likely to have rear-ended another vehicle (36.4% vs. 14.9%).
    Lane-splitters were much less likely to suffer head injury (9.1% vs. 16.5%), torso injury (18.6% vs. 27.3%), or fatal injury (1.4% vs. 3.1%) in their collision.
    Lane-splitters also tended to wear better helmets than non-lane-splitters, and had a lower prevalence of alcohol use at the time of their collision.
    Lane-splitters had much higher incidence of collisions on weekdays and during morning or afternoon rush hour than non-lane-splitters.
    Severity of injury in the collision was highly correlated with the speed differential at the time of the collision; it increased significantly when done at traffic speeds of over 30 MPH, or when rider speed exceeded traffic speed by more than 10 MPH.

Of course hard research from one of the premier universities in the world is not enough to change your mind right?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Apparently you didn’t read what you posted.

Chances of being rear ended was 4.6%, only 1.9% higher. Chances of rear ending someone jumps from 14.9 to 36.4 if you lane split. Which is more? That study didn’t exactly help your cause. In city driving if you’re rearended it’s not going to be as high a rate of speed than on the freeway.

Also notice what it said about severity of the injuries when going over 30 mph or more than 10 mph faster than traffic. As well as lane splitting in commute traffic

So which part of the survey backed up your statement that’s it’s safer?

It’s their life. If they want to risk being killed. Go for it. Especially knowing how many people are on their phones now, it’s even more dangerous.

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@EGL Admin 112673 wrote:

Apparently you didn’t read what you posted.

Chances of being rear ended was 4.6%, only 1.9% higher. Chances of rear ending someone jumps from 14.9 to 36.4 if you lane split. Which is more? That study didn’t exactly help your cause. In city driving if you’re rearended it’s not going to be as high a rate of speed than on the freeway.

Also notice what it said about severity of the injuries when going over 30 mph or more than 10 mph faster than traffic. As well as lane splitting in commute traffic

So which part of the survey backed up your statement that’s it’s safer?

All of it. I can’t help it you can’t understand it.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

1) People that do not pick up after their dogs.

2) smokers and butts in the street

3) loud motorcycles and cars

4) People that do not sterilize, chip, tags on pets

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

We can all understand the enterprise side of websites, but the popups and auto-start videos are out of control. I was going to post an article on the top fast casual restaurants, but it was so jammed with shadowboxs, pop ups, and annoying videos no one would read it. I didn’t. I have a hard time believing those ads work, unless they specifically call for action and the reader is a contextually verified target. They seem totally random to me.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

People who FLAKE on me. We are ALL busy, if you say you’re going to do something, do it. For someone to think nothing of flaking really pisses me off.
    Drunk drivers. Don’t do it. Period.
    Semi drivers who think they own the road. I used to be one and was courteous. It’s possible.

I have plenty more, but I don’t want to get my blood pressure up. 😉

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Pet Peeve – Delivery people who ring the doorbell on a Sunday at 9am.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

People that invite you over for a BBQ at 5 pm and you eat at 8 pm. On a school night.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

I have two:

1. Walking through someone’s smoke haze usually results in a headache for me. It happens fast enough lately that people think they are safe (but aren’t) because they can’t see the cloud and they are outdoors. As I get older, I’m having more trouble restraining my flash anger. It’s painful and it lasts awhile.

2. People who have pet peeves involving something I do innocently who fail to have the courage to be polite enough to ask me to stop before flashing angry at me.

Yes… I know these two conflict.
    I’m at a bit of a loss to reconcile them. 8)

JENuine
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 36
    • Total Posts - 41

1. Ditto to Plasmadrive.
    2. People that speed up when I put my blinker on to change lanes. I get it, if they are close and are speeding up to let me in behind them, but those that speed up from a distance back just to make sure I can’t get over are annoying.
    3. People that are completely oblivious to their surroundings, for example, someone taking up the entire aisle in a grocery store with themselves and their cart and they don’t notice another shopper is approaching. If you stop to look at something, make sure your cart is not blocking the aisle.
    4. When traffic is merging from two lanes to one, the pattern is typically that every car lets one car in, but there are always those that tailgate the person in front of them not letting a car merge in front of them.
    5. People at grocery stores that let all of their items get rung up, and then fumble through their purse to find their wallet. Be prepared, have your wallet out and ready to go.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Thought of another one today, but since school is almost out it is likely too late. People who don’t pull all the way forward to drop off their kids. At our school we have kind of a traffic circle and if everyone pulls all the way forward, you get 8 cars in at a time and all can drop off. There is a median so it’s safe for the kids to get out on the passenger side and then walk in to school. This morning I got there fairly early and there should have been no backup. There was a line of cars waiting because one parent pulled into the drop off lane and stopped so that only 2 other cars could pull in behind her. Then after those cars cleared out the next parent only pulled in far enough for 4 cars to stop. It works like clockwork if everyone does it right. 7-8 cars come in and drop off and then leave.

People are oblivious in grocery stores. My own kids do it and drives me nuts. I’ll be pushing the cart and they want to walk along side of it and then no one can pass us. I keep telling them go in front of or behind me. My youngest used to drive me nuts. He’s 11 now and was still doing this in the past year. He would hold on to the side of the cart so I am pushing it and he’s not walking fast enough so he’s pulling it back.

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

My biggest pet peeve is the lack of manners people have these days. I don’t think it is something that is being taught in homes anymore……seriously!!!! For example, when people stand way to close to you in line at the store. I don’t like it when people are in my personal space and if they are almost touching you I have a problem with that. Also, when I am using my credit/debit card they should be right up on you watching you put your pin in. Poor table manners and uncontrollable kids in public really get under my skin too!!

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

heh. That’s what elbows are for. 8)

Seriously, though, when someone gets in my space, I purposely get a little erratic. Fumble foot, twitches, sudden movements, and other tricks will get people to back away for their own safety. They might get a little annoyed, but not as much as if you get in their face and tell them to back off. For example, at Disneyland I carry a shoulder bag to hold the things my family purchases. I purposely wear it on one hip and them protect it with an arm laid over it. That gives me a wide profile for anyone trying to pass too quickly by my side. If I arrange things right while following my son, I can shield him from annoyances he won’t see. Eye contact is usually good enough for parting the crowd in front of him, but he won’t do it… so I do.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Disneyland can be fun. I usually walk in front with the kids behind me and my wife behind them.

Funny story. My sister and brother in law went to Disneyworld a couple of years ago with their two sons and their girlfriends. There are a lot of Asian tourists there. My brother in law is a big dude, 6′ 4″, 250. His sons are over 6 feet too. After awhile he noticed that the tourists just keep walking and expect you to move out of their way. They act like they don’t see you. So he told his sons, the next time one of them walks into us I’m not going to move for them. Sure enough along comes a guy and my brother in law just kept walking and the guy bounced off him and went flying. Would have loved to see the video of that. 🙂

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

My biggest pet peeve would be Prius drivers, ok we all know the car isn’t that fast but seriously, you’re already saving gas why must you go 50 on the freeway. Then you have those prius drivers who tailgate you…

Also, personal space, last Easter we went to a brunch thing with my wife’s family, this dude was pretty much standing right behind my wife leaving her no room. I asked him why the hell you have to be so close, he didn’t respond back to me so I shoved him and he started to throw a fit about it. “If you responded to me in the first place I wouldn’t have shoved your scronny ass” He wouldnt have done anything, he tried to act like a big shot until he saw my serious look and my brother in law and cousins walk up on him. It’s like geesh let me inhale some air.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@gearshark23 112841 wrote:

My biggest pet peeve would be Prius drivers, ok we all know the car isn’t that fast but seriously, you’re already saving gas why must you go 50 on the freeway. Then you have those prius drivers who tailgate you…

Thank you! I was thinking of this on the way in this morning following a Prius in the carpool lane going 50. I often wonder if there’s a governor on the car preventing it from going over 55.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Give them a break. They’re just trying to find Randi Rhodes somewhere on their radio.

Hank_Moody
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 46
    • Total Posts - 64

People who constantly post political meme’s on Facebook. I get it, you don’t like the President, you don’t want gun control, you dislike flag burners, you think the Police are awesome.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I have another one. People who don’t put their grocery carts in one of the cart roundup spots. It’s especially bad at Costco and Sam’s. The exception is if you have little kids. Most people are just too damn lazy. My nephew will get mad at them if he sees them do that. He told a guy last month he was a lazy ass. The guy said that’s the job of the employees and my nephew said no it’s not. Their job is to get carts from the roundup area. So now when I go to one of those stores I take a photo and text it to him. 🙂

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

When I have my son, I’ll admit I don’t put the carts back. I’m not going to leave him in the car alone to put a cart back. I also don’t put the cart back at Wal Mart on Whitelock. It’s not my fault they don’t put the cart return thing in the Garden Center area. I’m not going to walk a football field to put a cart back.

Hank_Moody
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 46
    • Total Posts - 64

@gearshark23 112875 wrote:

When I have my son, I’ll admit I don’t put the carts back. I’m not going to leave him in the car alone to put a cart back. I also don’t put the cart back at Wal Mart on Whitelock. It’s not my fault they don’t put the cart return thing in the Garden Center area. I’m not going to walk a football field to put a cart back.

Why can’t you keep your son with you as you put the cart back?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

One of those guys huh Gearshark? :taser

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I had twins, I always brought back the shopping cart. Still do. Where ever I have to take it, even if its long distance. I guess its my pet peeve too. Walking is good for you.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I guess I’m one of those people. Ehhh.

If I park a couple spots from it I’ll put it back, but like I said if I’m at Wal Mart in the Garden Center I’m not walking to the other side of Walmart to put it back.

Another Pet Peeve…. People who don’t put stuff back at the stores. They pick up an item put it in there cart then either 1) They don’t want it anymore and stick it anywhere 2) The line is to long so the say forget it and leave a cold item on a shelf.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@gearshark23 112895 wrote:

I guess I’m one of those people. Ehhh.

If I park a couple spots from it I’ll put it back, but like I said if I’m at Wal Mart in the Garden Center I’m not walking to the other side of Walmart to put it back.

Another Pet Peeve…. People who don’t put stuff back at the stores. They pick up an item put it in there cart then either 1) They don’t want it anymore and stick it anywhere 2) The line is to long so the say forget it and leave a cold item on a shelf.

Well, if they follow your rules, maybe they were just too far away to put it back :biggrin:

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@CJay916 112898 wrote:

Well, if they follow your rules, maybe they were just too far away to put it back :biggrin:

LOL.

I see that all the time, where people leave stuff on the shelves in a different section. It’s just laziness.

I saw another pet peeve today driving down Bond Road. Some guy was in a big hurry and the traffic wasn’t heavy but enough to where you couldn’t really pass and get anywhere. He didn’t care. He passed me up once then cut in front of me, then pulled over to the right, then cut back left in front of me. Then pulled over to the right, then finally pulled all the way to the left lane to make a left turn on northbound EG Florin. He did not get there any faster than if he would have just stayed right behind or in front of me.

There’s one kid who I see from time to time heading west on Bond from Bradshaw and he always does the zig zag thing trying to pass people.

ActionEmotion
    • Topics - 130
    • Replies - 1,822
    • Total Posts - 1,952

Pet peeve threads

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@CJay916 112898 wrote:

Go to Wal Mart on Whitelock and you will see what I am talking about. As you have no kids, it’s probably something you will not understand.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@Action>Emotion 112912 wrote:

Pet peeve threads

Good one!

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@gearshark23 112913 wrote:

Go to Wal Mart on Whitelock and you will see what I am talking about. As you have no kids, it’s probably something you will not understand.

Just making jokes. Hint the big grinning green face

I might not understand since I don’t have kids, but doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Show me someone who can’t have an opinion and I’ll show you a corpse.

It’s much more likely you can’t can’t have an opinion. 8)

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Thought of another one……….People who don’t respond to your text to let you know they got it. UGH

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Piggy backing on that. People who respond with “ok” after you send them a long text

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

This is a “pet” peeve. People who have their dogs off lease because they don’t think laws apply to them.
    People who have aggressive dogs and take them on the trail where they know there will be other dogs.

ActionEmotion
    • Topics - 130
    • Replies - 1,822
    • Total Posts - 1,952

@EGL Admin 113032 wrote:

This is a “pet” peeve. People who have their dogs off lease because they don’t think laws apply to them.
    People who have aggressive dogs and take them on the trail where they know there will be other dogs.

I’ve heard that about you. 😉

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

@EGL Admin 113032 wrote:

Seems like this happens all the time.
    My daughter and I were walking my tribble and someone had a dog off the leash. It wasn’t an aggressive dog, but everything looks huge to my dog. My daughter scooped him up quickly. I appreciate when people with aggressive dogs keep them under tight control. I’ve been out with my wife running and she almost got her leg chewed off by some asshat who wasn’t paying attention to his dog. Most recently I almost needed to change my bike shorts out on a ride with Divot when some dog charged him. Not sure how he didn’t get bit.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@doclaguna 113046 wrote:

Seems like this happens all the time.
    My daughter and I were walking my tribble and someone had a dog off the leash. It wasn’t an aggressive dog, but everything looks huge to my dog. My daughter scooped him up quickly. I appreciate when people with aggressive dogs keep them under tight control. I’ve been out with my wife running and she almost got her leg chewed off by some asshat who wasn’t paying attention to his dog. Most recently I almost needed to change my bike shorts out on a ride with Divot when some dog charged him. Not sure how he didn’t get bit.

I was jogging on the trail over by Waterman and EG Blvd last week and it goes through a little park with a playground and there was a mom, two kids and two dogs. One was a little dog and the other medium size about 40-50 pounds. They weren’t on the leash and I ran by and then I heard them barking and they came after me. I’ve broken up more dog fights than I can remember from our dogs on the farm so I stopped, and said get back and the little yapper kept barking. The other one kind of made a half hearted lunge and I put my hand out and knocked his face away and he they both went back to the owner and then both started back at me again. Then I yelled get back and I was ready to kick them in the chops and they both stopped. The mom reacted amazingly slow. She was in shock I guess. Another time I was walking my dog through a residential area and I hear dogs barking in the house and next thing I know here come two labs running down the street barking and growling. I put my dog behind me and yelled at them to stop and they did. Most dogs we come across on the trail are pretty good and are friendly.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Found another one. People on vacation who post photos of themselves at a gym. Take a break. You can miss a few days.

I like that meme that says “what if I told you that you can go out to dinner and not post pictures of it?” Pretty funny.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

I don’t mind the gym pictures. They are enjoying their endorphin high and that works just as well on vacation.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I have another one. Can’t remember if I posted this already. People who are oblivious to what’s around them, whether they are walking or on their bikes. They act as though there is no one else around.

Hank_Moody
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 46
    • Total Posts - 64

@EGL Admin 115217 wrote:

I have another one. Can’t remember if I posted this already. People who are oblivious to what’s around them, whether they are walking or on their bikes. They act as though there is no one else around.

This is a big one of mine too! Especially, at the market. Someone always leaves their cart in the middle of the aisle, while they are looking at items. MOVE YOUR CART OVER!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Yep. I see that all the time.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Stopping and talking in a group in the middle of a walk way.. People just walk up, see others they want to talk to and just stop.. The rest of the world can just go around.. because.. THIS is where we are going to stand and talk..

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I am laughing because my girls drive now, and they come home so mad, complaining about people doing this and that while they were driving. I think my girls could add so much to the pet peeve list lol.

Hank_Moody
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 46
    • Total Posts - 64

Another one:

People who smoke right outside the entrance to a building.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@hank_moody 115268 wrote:

Another one:

People who smoke right outside the entrance to a building.

I always joke about coming out of Kings games and there are people lighting up right there as soon as they get out the door heading to their cars. Like “oh my God I made it, now I have to light up…” and you walk into a cloud of smoke. So now it’s like a joke. We say “mucho fumar”.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Paying a premium gym membership to a club that is just awful and upkeep of something as simple as the showers.. They run out of soap in the showers, slimy shower walls at times, run out of plastic bags for sweaty clothes, taking several weeks just to change a light bulb in a racquetball court.. And they have the nerve to charge you a maintenance fee on top of the dues. I have no idea how they stay in business.. but I guess complacent customers are their best friends..

But I promise I won’t mention California Family Fitness’ name… Oops.. did I say that???

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I have never used the showers there. I prefer to go home and shower.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@EGL Admin 115305 wrote:

I have never used the showers there. I prefer to go home and shower.

Playing high level racquetball for an hour and a half will make you sweat until there is nothing on you that is dry.. Even my shoes get soaked. I couldn’t not get in my car that way.. man would it stink later.. LOL

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Maybe jump in the pool?

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@EGL Admin 115316 wrote:

Maybe jump in the pool?

Oh man.. there is not enough chlorine in the state to clean that much sweaty yuck off in the pool! :sarcastic I surely wouldn’t want to leave it for others..

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Here’s another one. Realtors who can’t follow basic instructions. When we list a house for sale, there are showing instructions on how to show the house depending upon the sellers wishes. Some are by appointment only or have limited hours. Most have lockboxes which enables Realtors to get a key to enter the house. Generally it is what is known as “call first/Lockbox”. That means you call the seller first and see if it’s okay to show. If there is no answer, you leave a message and then you can show the home using the lockbox. A lot of times Realtors don’t call first. They just show up. So now a lot of times we have “call listing agent” on the showing instructions. That means you call the listing agent to see if it can be shown. If you don’t talk to them or hear back, then you can’t show it, because you have no idea what is going on. Is there a lockbox, is anyone home, maybe some other reason. You just don’t show it. Whenever a home gets shown we get an email that says who showed it. We have a listing that says call listing agent. Pretty simple. A Realtor showed the home yesterday and didn’t call first. Same guy showed it again this morning without calling. I sent him an email and reminded him that the showing instructions are call listing agent and we didn’t show any calls from him. He emailed back and said he called a left a voicemail. That’s BS. We would for sure have got that. So I replied back and reminded him that call listing agent means you don’t show it until you hear back from the agent. Pretty simple to understand that concept. Haven’t heard back from him yet after that. It’s someone who has been around a few years and knows better.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I remember when we were selling our first house and I wanted to not show the house during my then 2 year old’s nap time. Our agent said she would put the restrictions in, as well as to call first, but warned that agents and buyers just show up whenever they wanted to and was convenient for them, regardless of what the homeowner and selling agent requested.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It bugs me when people send you an email asking for something and then you reply back and don’t hear back from them.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Apparently, responding to a text with a simple “OK.” I do that a lot and some people get offended by the brevity.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Depends on the text and what it is about. One of our friends would do that all the time. Now it’s a running joke with another friend when we text each other. One of us will just say “Ok”.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

A few of my friends and I will just text a word or 2 back to let them know we received the text. We ALL have our phones in our pockets, there is NO need to NOT respond for several hours or a day.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That’s another thing. One of our friends is going through a divorce and sometimes it’s not friendly. They have a kid so they have to deal with each other. I know her and she is on her phone all the time and on FB. So he will send her a text and sometimes she will go hours or a day without replying. We know in the mean time she has sent out 1000 texts. It’s a BS game.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I guess I don’t follow that protocol. I will get a text or two from my daughter and don’t respond for a few hours simply because I’m working and don’t read it. Then she’ll call or text again and ask if I’m mad at her. I hardly ever get mad at anyone, she knows that, and it bugs me that she asks all the time, and this happens with a few others too. Usually an instant response is not needed for texts, and if it is, pick up the damn phone and call. ~ old school LC

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

The younger generation is often of the opinion that calling without warning is insulting. I’ve run into this a few times as explanations for why they won’t call unannounced. Something changed as the years passed.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@lc 123599 wrote:

I guess I don’t follow that protocol. I will get a text or two from my daughter and don’t respond for a few hours simply because I’m working and don’t read it. Then she’ll call or text again and ask if I’m mad at her. I hardly ever get mad at anyone, she knows that, and it bugs me that she asks all the time, and this happens with a few others too. Usually an instant response is not needed for texts, and if it is, pick up the damn phone and call. ~ old school LC

This. Maybe I am old! 😉

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Texting is easier and less awkward sometimes. A text can be a simple question. On the phone it ends up being much longer.

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

@lc 123599 wrote:

I agree. Pick up the damn phone! Old School EGDad

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.