fbpx

Pismo Beach

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  zepp 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Took a quick trip to Pismo Beach over the weekend for our anniversary. First time we had actually stayed there. We usually go to Carmel or SF and I wanted to try something different so I planned it out as a surprise. I drove down there in August to pick up our puppy so that gave me the idea to go there. Figured if I could drive 4 1/2 hours each way to get a puppy that we could do it over 4 days. 🙂

We stayed at a place called the Spyglass Inn.

38-b46fdc2d3338b6028fb83c87140b1b10.jpg

Our view was similar to this. Rooms were decent size. From our bed we could see the ocean out the slider. I think it was $200 a night all total including taxes and fees. Not bad for the view.

It’s right on the ocean. We got an ocean view room. Walked out our door and there was a grass area and then a walkway. No beach because it’s more of a cliff, but great view. Weather was decent. Two nice days and one rainy day.
    It’s a few miles from San Luis Obispo. About 300 miles or so from Elk Grove. We stopped for lunch at Harris Ranch Farms to break up the trip. That’s about 2/3 the way there. Not really a lot to do in Pismo. it’s very small. There are some good restaurants there. It’s only about 90 miles from Santa Barbara so that could be a nice one day trip. We went to a little town called Solvang. It’s a Danish community. Pretty cool. Nice little shopping area with most all the buildings looking like something you would see in Europe. We found a great restaurant there called Aly’s. I would compare it to Boulevard Bistro. Pretty small. Probably seats about 30-40 people. One of the owners is the chef. I think they are Italian. The husband serves the wine and some of the food. They had one other server there. Definitely fine dining. I had the Filet that was really good. Comparable prices to Blvd Bistro.

There are a ton of wineries in the Paso Robles area. It reminds of Amador County. They are off in the middle of nowhere on a winding, 2 lane road. My wife loves Justin wines. So we took a trip over there and got some wine and some photos. My FB friends may have seen it on my page. We probably passed 20 wineries to get to it. I think staying a 3rd night was a must. That way you have 2 full days there because it’s a day driving each way.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Nice. May have to head out there sometime next year.

My 5 year anniversary is next year in October, but I’m planning on a Hawaii trip or something equivalent.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

That was my first territory when I worked for Hallmark, Paso Robles to Vandenberg AFB, east to Solvang. Lived in SLO. Nice part of the state. Solvang used to have some wonderful Danish specialties in their little restaurants.

What was interesting to me is that every day a tour bus would stop in Solvang and belch out sightseers from Los Angeles. Guess where over half of them headed first? Hallmark store. Great lesson in brand familiarity.

Back then the beach towns were quite stratified. Shell Beach had one hotel, which I think is/was the Spyglass Inn. That and Avila was for a nice couples weekend. South of Shell was Pismo, and that was almost exclusively for the oil field workers in Bakersfield. Rag tag, run down, kind of carnival style. Now it’s all more similar, and Pismo is quite nice. I know a couple of EG locals who prefer Pismo over almost anywhere. Party-of-six is a great authority for that area.

zepp
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

We actually stayed at the spy glass inn when we went a few years ago. Pismo beach is great and we liked the inn as well. Affordable place for sure all around. Every year we drive down the coast and stay at a different town. This year we went to Laguna Beach, which has tons to do- the weather was amazing. The negative was that it’s way more expensive than Pismo!

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Went to Solvang a couple of times when I was in college at UCSB. It’s a cute little place.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 122012 wrote:

That was my first territory when I worked for Hallmark, Paso Robles to Vandenberg AFB, east to Solvang. Lived in SLO. Nice part of the state. Solvang used to have some wonderful Danish specialties in their little restaurants.

What was interesting to me is that every day a tour bus would stop in Solvang and belch out sightseers from Los Angeles. Guess where over half of them headed first? Hallmark store. Great lesson in brand familiarity.

Back then the beach towns were quite stratified. Shell Beach had one hotel, which I think is/was the Spyglass Inn. That and Avila was for a nice couples weekend. South of Shell was Pismo, and that was almost exclusively for the oil field workers in Bakersfield. Rag tag, run down, kind of carnival style. Now it’s all more similar, and Pismo is quite nice. I know a couple of EG locals who prefer Pismo over almost anywhere. Party-of-six is a great authority for that area.

She gave me some recommendations to eat. We only got to use one unfortunately.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Went to the central coast on our honeymoon. Need to head back soon.

party-of-six
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 111
    • Total Posts - 120

@EGL Admin 122017 wrote:

She gave me some recommendations to eat. We only got to use one unfortunately.

Did you like the one?

party-of-six
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 111
    • Total Posts - 120

@lc 122012 wrote:

Party-of-six is a great authority for that area.

Thank you 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.