Politics in schools

This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  plasmadrive 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I know we have touched on this before about how some teachers teach to their political opinions, usually liberal. Our youngest son is 7th at Albiani. We were talking Friday and he said, guess what the teacher said? I said what? He said if Trump wins we are screwed. I said did he say screwed? He said no, he said our country would go backwards and it would be a mess if Trump wins. This was in social science and at back to school night the teacher did say they would touch on politics and would be having a mock election.

I don’t like either candidate and in the overall scheme of things, it’s not a big deal to me because I am going to give our kids information on both sides and why i think what i do. The teacher may be right that we are screwed if Trump wins, but I am not a fan of the teacher going there and showing his obvious bias. I posted it on our EGL FB page and I would say at least 90% of the people commenting agreed and didn’t care for it. One teacher didn’t like the question and said I was trolling and said it doesn’t happen in schools, yet many people commented that it does. I think Joy said it has happened to her kids. I have heard it from other parents we know. Pretty sure it happens at most schools. I don’t plan on saying anything unless he says other things I don’t like. We have a new principal and her and I had a little talk about the school pick up situation and to her credit, she took steps no one did in 10 years to fix it so I don’t want cause any problems. I can see where some parents would be upset possibly. Another parent commented that a teacher at another school said anyone whose parents votes for Trump is an idiot. Something like that, I think I would take exception with. That’s not part of their job as a teacher.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

Just wait until they get in college…….it’s quite prevalent. My conservative daughter called all the time about her professors going on long, liberal rants in her classes. Not political science classes, other classes. I think it is okay to open a dialogue, but their personal opinions should be kept out of it. Same with idiots on the football field (or bench), but that is a different rant……..

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The Colin Kaepernick thing is another issue. Obviously he has the right to do that, but I think he is going to find out that the manner in which he is protesting is not going to help at all. Now even 49 fans hate him. It’s not helping the cause at all.

CJay916
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@sea 127431 wrote:

Just wait until they get in college…….it’s quite prevalent. My conservative daughter called all the time about her professors going on long, liberal rants in her classes. Not political science classes, other classes. I think it is okay to open a dialogue, but their personal opinions should be kept out of it. Same with idiots on the football field (or bench), but that is a different rant……..

Even 12-16 years ago when I was in college there were teachers (always liberal) pushing there agenda on us.

It shouldn’t happen in High School either. School isn’t a place for politics. I know some schools have after school clubs that are political in nature. I think that is fine. Its after school and HS is suppose to be a place to figure our your beliefs.

I could see how a social science could turn political. Especially during this horrendous presidential race. But still, the teacher needs to be neutral . And if the students ask, they could give their opinion. But they need to stay neutral the majority of the time. Saying “the country will go backwards” is a highly biased opinion. These students get enough biases on social media and the news, teachers shouldn’t add to it.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

@cjay916 127437 wrote:

Even 12-16 years ago when I was in college there were teachers (always liberal) pushing there agenda on us.

It shouldn’t happen in High School either. School isn’t a place for politics. I know some schools have after school clubs that are political in nature. I think that is fine. Its after school and HS is suppose to be a place to figure our your beliefs.

I could see how a social science could turn political. Especially during this horrendous presidential race. But still, the teacher needs to be neutral . And if the students ask, they could give their opinion. But they need to stay neutral the majority of the time. Saying “the country will go backwards” is a highly biased opinion. These students get enough biases on social media and the news, teachers shouldn’t add to it.

Well said.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Neutrality at the college level isn’t going to happen. Remember the distinction between professor and confessor. A professor’s job is to teach you how to think and they aren’t hired to be neutral.

As for K-12, good luck with that. I strongly advise parents to teach their kids early to expect political diversity. They should never have to put up with badgering at school, but they aren’t going to get political saints as teachers very often. There simply aren’t that many to hire.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The principal got wind of my post on the EGL FB page and called me up to talk about it. She said she talked to the teacher and he said he didn’t recall saying that. She asked me specifically what was said. She said she would talk to him about it. I guess my page is making an impression with her. 🙂

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Still can’t get the “like” to work.. so Doc.. LIKE for your post

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@plasmadrive 127447 wrote:

Still can’t get the “like” to work.. so Doc.. LIKE for your post

So nothing happens when you click the highlighted area below?

[IMG]http://www.elkgrove-laguna.net/temp/like1.JPG[/IMG]

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@divotmaker 127448 wrote:

So nothing happens when you click the highlighted area below?

[IMG]http://www.elkgrove-laguna.net/temp/like1.JPG[/IMG]

I think it’s user error. :sarcastic

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

ha ha.. not user error.. I belong to many sites that use this same format and I can “like” on them as much as I want.. For some reason your site just doesn’t let me.. and yes.. I am clicking on the right place.. and many other places even.. LOL

BTW, it high lights when I put the pointer over it, just nothing happens when I click

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@plasmadrive 127454 wrote:

ha ha.. not user error.. I belong to many sites that use this same format and I can “like” on them as much as I want.. For some reason your site just doesn’t let me.. and yes.. I am clicking on the right place.. and many other places even.. LOL

BTW, it high lights when I put the pointer over it, just nothing happens when I click

You have me curious now! What OS and browser are you using? Oh wait, I think I know what’s going on. By any chance do you have JavaScript turned off?

You can click here to find out if you’re unsure:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-javascript-enabled

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

using Firefox and according to that web page the answer is yes.. it is enabled. Like I said, other sites I can like and thank.. just not this one..

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@plasmadrive 127461 wrote:

using Firefox and according to that web page the answer is yes.. it is enabled. Like I said, other sites I can like and thank.. just not this one..

Ok, I’m out of suggestions. Maybe Doc did something and just doesn’t like you?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I had to test and see if mine worked so I liked Divot’s. Mine works. I’m sure you all wanted to know.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@divotmaker 127462 wrote:

Ok, I’m out of suggestions. Maybe Doc did something and just doesn’t like you?

I’m guessing you may be right.. Doc probably doesn’t like me. ha ha.. Gee thanks Doc!

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@plasmadrive 127454 wrote:

Heh. Your karma is too low. 8)

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@adiffer 127469 wrote:

Heh. Your karma is too low. 8)

Perhaps my Karma ran over my dogma..

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

@adiffer 127445 wrote:

Neutrality at the college level isn’t going to happen. Remember the distinction between professor and confessor. A professor’s job is to teach you how to think and they aren’t hired to be neutral.

As for K-12, good luck with that. I strongly advise parents to teach their kids early to expect political diversity. They should never have to put up with badgering at school, but they aren’t going to get political saints as teachers very often. There simply aren’t that many to hire.

How to think, not what to think. They aren’t hired to be neutral – well, that’s part of the problem. They shouldn’t be pushing their liberal agenda, they should be encouraging students to think for themselves.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@sea 127477 wrote:

How to think, not what to think. [/quote]

I used to teach at the college level. I’m just relaying the history to you. Most of them are professors in the old sense because that’s the culture. They might not admit it, but they do it that way anyway. Think about the old days when universities were all sponsored by monarchs and churches. They were there to tell you HOW to think. The tradition survives.

Quote:
    They aren’t hired to be neutral – well, that’s part of the problem. They shouldn’t be pushing their liberal agenda, they should be encouraging students to think for themselves.

Agreed, but I’ll offer a counter suggestion. Vote with your feet. The problem isn’t the liberal agenda. The problem is the church-like tradition. A couple centuries ago they were simply pushing a different agenda.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

LOL, Al, I vote with a lot of research and I hope some common sense!!

I cannot watch the network news shows, so slanted it is ridiculous. Online is also slanted, so I try to research both slanted sides of each issue! I am just glad we raised our children to think independently and not swallow all the garbage shoved down their throat by the liberal media. Yes, I said it!! 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I don’t think there are any news sources anymore that aren’t biased. When I see a story online, I try to find other sources that at least somewhat back it up and hopefully a national source or maybe a local media source, not just some person writing a story. Some of my FB friends on both sides post stuff that makes me shake my head. I think it’s getting worse because people are getting their news strictly from sources they agree with. It’s not really news, but more opinion based.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

What the high school teachers have said to my kids, heads would spin. We are actually in a legal case with the school for one teacher(The school is proactive and 100% supportive). I don’t want bad teachers in our schools, and I will help fight for you’re right for a good education in the public school system.

CJay916
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@EGL Admin 127491 wrote:

I don’t think there are any news sources anymore that aren’t biased. When I see a story online, I try to find other sources that at least somewhat back it up and hopefully a national source or maybe a local media source, not just some person writing a story. Some of my FB friends on both sides post stuff that makes me shake my head. I think it’s getting worse because people are getting their news strictly from sources they agree with. It’s not really news, but more opinion based.

I think most people are getting their news from twitter and Memes on facebook. That is the scary part.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@sea 127488 wrote:

Yes, I said it!! 🙂

heh. I’m all for your solution. Empower parents.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@cjay916 127495 wrote:

I think most people are getting their news from twitter and Memes on facebook. That is the scary part.

They believe anything that agrees with their point of view

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.