fbpx
Advertisements

popcorn ceilings and asbestos

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  kindrlindr 9 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

ginmart
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 19
    • Total Posts - 21

Has anyone had popcorn ceiling removed from their home? My understanding is that any home built with them before 1978 has a high likelyhood of containing asbestos. What did it cost to have done and who does this work? Thanks for any input

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I think kinder did-pm her and ask her. Could be mistaken though.

madforplaid
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 145
    • Total Posts - 154

We sprayed it with water and scraped it off. Wear a mask and use drop cloths to cover everything.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Your main concern should be disposal. Your years are generally correct, however I’d extend it to 1980-82 as warehoused supplies were still being applied illegally for a few years after the law was in place.

It’s not that expensive; we did it for about 2,600 SF and I think the entire process of testing, removal, cleaning with HEPA fans, and disposal was around $2K. We have certificates from the toxic dumps. Doing it yourself is not wise. The masks and protective equipment used are not something you buy at Home Depot and the bagging and labeling procedures are very strict. But, have it tested first; that’s only about $50-$100. You might get lucky.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Yep, newmom is right. We had ours done last summer. We used Super Shooters. It was a 2 day process for us. You have to leave the house and can’t go back in if you have them retexture and repaint your ceilings. They did a good job. I don’t have anyone to compare it to, but they were quick and came back and fixed the things I wasn’t happy with. They drape your house with plastic sheeting up to the ceilings and your walls and all furniture is protected. There is a bit of mess left, but NOTHING like I expected to find. You also need to have the top edge of your walls touched up with paint after, since they are affected by the taping and removal of the plastic. It has to be strong tape to hold onto the wall with all that wet stuff falling off….

I think it was about $1800. We have a one story 1900 sq ft home built in 1981. We did the entire thing except the kitchen and baths which were not popcorned. I am SO SO SO glad it is gone!

ginmart
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 19
    • Total Posts - 21

kindrlindr, do know if your ceiling had asbestos in the popcorn? Those ceilings are so ugly.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

No, our home was built after 1980, so they weren’t concerned. I sure hope not……………
    :doh:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.