fbpx

Raley’s Strike Eminent

This topic contains 76 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  morgandog 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Associates at West Sacramento, Calif.-based Raley’s appeared to be poised for a strike this week amid management’s announcement that 40 of the chain’s 130 stores are losing up to $2 million each annually, the Modesto Bee reported.

From the Modesto Bee, via Progressive Grocer

We knew something had to happen to the Raley hemorrhaging, and whether the strike will force a labor contract, convert the chain to non-union status, or hammer the final nail in the coffin is unknown. I have been thinking they would sell it, but from what I hear there are no buyers as the new Walmart Neighborhood Markets are a major threat to the conventionals and the size of Raley’s stores doesn’t match up with anything Walmart has.

There are five Walmart Neighborhood Markets open in the metro area now, and they’ve said they’re going to operate those for a year and see how they do. If they dominate then they will carpet bomb many markets nationally. If not, then they will probably close them out and stay with the large stores. Their prices paint to paint are at least 20% less than the conventionals, according to Walmart. WINCO prices are similar but the large format isn’t conducive to bi-weekly shopping. Walmart Neighborhood Market is very similar to the old Lucky stores, plus 10,000 SF. They are attractive, clean, well lit, with good aisle spacing and carry top selling items.

Safeway could be the last guy standing in a few years. What do you think will happen to Raley’s? They have become so problematic with the pricing and operations issues I don’t see them surviving as we know them.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I think they are, unfortunately, 5 years behind the power curve. Safeway seems to have found a comfort zone with price and loyalty. Raleys continued to rely on loyalty alone far too long. If the economy had recovered 2-3 years ago, they might have managed. Right now, they are at the breaking point in the death spiral. They will have to retool VERY quickly, or they are done. It will be a slow death, but it will be inevitable within 3 years. Walmart is building coffins and selling nails to the conventionals now…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That would be unfortunate if they close stores, especially if something happened to the Waterman store. Has anyone been to the Wal-Mart that opened in the Gottchalks store by the other Wal-Mart?

One of my friends had worked for them for 31 years. Been a store director for probably 15 at least and he recently quit and is going to run a Grocery Outlet some place. The business has changed. You can no longer make it a career because they have capped pay on new employees. Older employees were usually given annual pay raises.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

We shop at the store on Calvine and EG Florin quite a bit. I will admit that we usually only buy items on sale from them, as we found their normal prices just too steep when compared to Wal Mart. My wife works in West Sac so she often gets non essentials at the WM store there. We avoid Safeway across the street, just find it too much of a ghetto to justify the savings.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

The more interesting question for me is whether Nugget manages to survive the Walmart onslaught. Yeah, the demographics are vastly different, but they have to be bleeding every bit as much as Raleys. The numbers can’t be drastically different. If they were, every conventional grocer in the world would be working the model.

illbnice
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 1,231
    • Total Posts - 1,284

@divotmaker 69019 wrote:

We shop at the store on Calvine and EG Florin quite a bit. I will admit that we usually only buy items on sale from them, as we found their normal prices just too steep when compared to Wal Mart. My wife works in West Sac so she often gets non essentials at the WM store there. We avoid Safeway across the street, just find it too much of a ghetto to justify the savings.

I had to laugh at this because I avoid that Safeway for the same reason. I shop at other Safeway stores and LOVE them…that one, I can’t do.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I buy whatever I can from stores other than traditional grocery stores. I shop a lot at Target, Costco, and Trader Joe’s the most. There are some things I won’t ever trust buying from a Target or Walmart though-things like fresh meat or poultry some produce (that I don’t get at Costco).

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@tomwaltman 69020 wrote:

The more interesting question for me is whether Nugget manages to survive the Walmart onslaught. Yeah, the demographics are vastly different, but they have to be bleeding every bit as much as Raleys. The numbers can’t be drastically different. If they were, every conventional grocer in the world would be working the model.

Even though Nugget is the closest store to my house, it’s not my first stop for most shopping unless I don’t have time to go elsewhere. Their prices on deli meats are very, very high compared to Raley’s and Safeway. It is my first choice for specialty cheeses, fresh meat, and wines though. And their bakery is great.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Nugget is non-union

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

LC, does it really make that much difference? Honest question.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

We try first with Nugget. I bake alot, so I like to go to Target. I will not enter a Walmart, unless I am stranded somewhere and I desperately need something. I like Raleys. I dont know what I am talking about. Unions are not helping the employees.

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

LC is right and it does make a HUGE difference.

But Tom is wrong about Raley’s going belly-up in three years… the imposed contract is only the first step in their strategy…

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@tomwaltman 69025 wrote:

LC, does it really make that much difference? Honest question.

Yes. Labor is a huge component for grocery, about 40%, and they operate on about a 2% profit target so everything matters. Shave labor by a point and your profit increases by 50%.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@illbnice 69021 wrote:

I had to laugh at this because I avoid that Safeway for the same reason. I shop at other Safeway stores and LOVE them…that one, I can’t do.

LOL, you’re right, it really is only that one!

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

Actually LC, labor cost increases and declining profitability are caused by Anthropomorphic Global Warming and a YouTube video.

But all will be cured if taxpayers bail out the unions and we require GMO labels on food produced by Republicans.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

@violarose 69026 wrote:

We try first with Nugget. I bake alot, so I like to go to Target. I will not enter a Walmart, unless I am stranded somewhere and I desperately need something. I like Raleys. I dont know what I am talking about. Unions are not helping the employees.

No they aren’t. Neither party is giving the employees the option on voting on this contract. One of the checkers I talked to yesterday told me that the contract Raleys is offering is better than what Save-Mart had to settle for. frankly I think the employees are willing to accept what is offered but are being hog-tied by the union. My understanding is union employees are fined by the union if they work during a strike? I don’t know. They don’t want to strike. Since I would not be comfortable crossing a picket line I made sure I have everything Ii need although I guess there are enough non-union stores around if I run out of egg nog and brandy.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

PP, you usually read better. I said their demise would be inevitable within three years, not that they would be out in that time. I think they have to make any changes they are going to try within that time, or it won’t matter what they do. Hence, the slow death.

LC -Thanks. I didn’t know they were that close on the margins.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

@tomwaltman 69047 wrote:

PP, you usually read better. I said their demise would be inevitable within three years, not that they would be out in that time. I think they have to make any changes they are going to try within that time, or it won’t matter what they do. Hence, the slow death.

LC -Thanks. I didn’t know they were that close on the margins.

I think the Something Extra card program is one of the changes they are implementing. however I do find it a little confusing as opposed to they loyalty cards other supermarket chains use. My understanding is that for years the Raleys/Belair chain resisted using the loyalty card approach and are now capitulating without really admitting that is what they are doing. I do enjoy shopping at my neighborhood store on Waterman. Yes prices are higher on many things but I do shop the sales and I do not want to see the Waltmartization of Elk Grove. Their tactics seem to be offer rock bottom prices to entice customers and in the process put the locals out of business. Then turn around and jack up the prices to what the locals were charging before. Maybe that is how the business and retail world work but I call it playing dirty.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Bev, where have you seen Walmart ever jack up prices at any time?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

On you tube

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

it caused a riot – the video, not the prices.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

I haven’t but I heard this has happened in small towns. Elk Grove may be large enough so this won’t happen. I actually used to like going to Walmart because along with being open 24/7 they had things I could use that I could not find anywhere else. Now their inventory has changed and that’s no longer the case. If I still did a lot of sewing I would be there frequently hitting their fabric department. I would rather go to their fabric section where I can find what I want easily than to JoAnns which is too big for my needs.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I have been to several small towns where Walmart is the only store in town. Military towns are primary Walmart territory. I have never seen that even once. Prices at Walmart are pretty much the same everywhere. I have certainly never seen prices “jacked up” to premium conventional levels.

There is a concerted effort out there to make Walmart the bad guys of the retail world, but ask yourself where that effort is coming from.

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

Unions & Fishermen?

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

@tomwaltman 69061 wrote:

I have been to several small towns where Walmart is the only store in town. Military towns are primary Walmart territory. I have never seen that even once. Prices at Walmart are pretty much the same everywhere. I have certainly never seen prices “jacked up” to premium conventional levels.

There is a concerted effort out there to make Walmart the bad guys of the retail world, but ask yourself where that effort is coming from.

Tom I hope you are right. I really get upset when I see small businesses close and the closing of Ace Hardware was devastating to me! I had a handyman here working a couple of months early in the summer and he would have to go to HD or the Ace on Grantline just for a simple part. Plus the help Ace employees provided when I needed to get things was invaluable. I don’t mind paying a higher price when I can get outstanding service like the mom and pops provide. You don’t find that in the bigger stores like
    WM or HD because the employees are in short supply and aren’t as knowledgable.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

Ok I have read Raley’s offer vs Save Mart contract Chris received in the mail today. The only major permanent changes I see are eliminating Sunday premium pay and holiday premium pay (although employees would still be paid double time for working holidays). A couple of proposals involving pay are 2 year freezes, not permanent. it sounds like a reasonable offer to me. Unions are so paranoid of “Union Busting” and that has been what this whole thing has been all about. I will agree there are situations where this term may be justified. During my long career with the State this term was thrown around a lot. But guess what? Local 1000 is alive and well even after all these years. I hope they don’t miss the $85.00 a month they were taking out of my paycheck because I am sure glad to have it. Local 8 needs to work with Raleys on getting this contract implemented as soon as possible not only is it what Raleys wants but at this point its what the employees are willing to accept as well.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

I have been shopping for milk, cereal, Snapple at Target. Has the Wal mart grocery opened up yet? I do watch sales. I prefer Bel Air to Safeway. Bel Air is so much cleaner to me. We go to the Laguna one. Raley’s has started a new rewards program much like Safeway, I think it is helping keep costs down. We have started buying some of Raley’s own brand. The tortilla chips and store brand to Special K with berries is very good.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Bev, I read the issues the other day and felt no pity or sorrow for the employees(or union whoever is causing the disagreement) at Raleys. We would ALL like double time AND premium time on holidays. Must be nice.

Doc, the other Walmart Neighborhood Grocery store isn’t opened yet. At least it wasn’t this morning. I can’t WAIT until it does open. I am tired of Bel Air/Raleys jacking up their prices and I am not always in the mood to go into Costco or drive farther than I need to for groceries…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

There’s a lot of hysteria about Walmart. I think a lot of people speak without first hand knowledge.

Speaking of Walmart, remember the opposition to the new store on Bruceville? Much of it was from the senior community next door? Now that same community wants to expand to the other side of Whitelock Parkway, even closer to Walmart. The builder wants to build 300 more homes but it requires a vote of the home owners. Some of the same people against a Walmart are now the ones in favor of the expansion.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Well that kind of expansion is going to benefit them. To have more homes in their community will lower the maintenance costs for their community as a whole. It also eliminates much of the “unknown” about other builders coming in to their area, and keeps out families with kids (who typical Del Webb people don’t want around them). It also prevents that land being re-zoned into something commercial as well. I don’t think they were anti-development, just anti-Wal-Mart.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Of course they were anti Wal-Mart. It’s the hysteria. Not sure expanding will benefit them really. It’s across the street. They complained about the store and now want to be right next to them?

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

The opinions of the Safeway at EGF and Calvine are pretty consistent. I usually shop at Raleys in Galt or Bel Air on Waterman. I’ve noticed the service at Waterman has declined drastically over the past year or so. The courtesy clerks, if they’re around, make it really clear it’s inconvenient for them to take your groceries out to the car. Service is better in Galt, and I don’t mind paying more for it.

Guess I’ll find alternatives if there’s a strike.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That Safeway is not very good. I don’t like it either.

I shop at the Waterman Bel Air all the time. They always ask me if I want help out to the car. I always say no. When I had little kids I usually said yes.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

@docs44 69088 wrote:

That Safeway is not very good. I don’t like it either.

I shop at the Waterman Bel Air all the time. They always ask me if I want help out to the car. I always say no. When I had little kids I usually said yes.

Yes, they ask….but they make it real clear they don’t want to. I’ve had them kind of ask over their shoulder as they’re walking away. I like having my groceries taken out and put in the car for me. I like not having to wrangle the damn cart. That’s why I’m willing to pay more.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

So they’re asking but just not in the right way for you? Why not just say yes. Who cares if they want to or not.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

So they’re asking but just not in the right way for you?

Correct.

Why not just say yes. Who cares if they want to or not.

I do say yes. Sometimes they have to be chased down. I believe the carry out is part of their service, and I don’t think they should act put out about it. It’s a supervisory issue.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Looks like a strike has been called for 6 am today. Supposedly there will be picket signs. Anyone see any picket lines?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Hubby said there were picketers at the parking lot entrances (Franklin and EG Blvd) and more at the entrances to the store. He and the kids went in anyway.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

The major sticking point is medical benefits. I think just about everyone who has worked at places that offer medical benefits has faced some loss of them. The first half of my career with the State my Kaiser benefits were free. When I retired I was paying almost $200 a month plus higher co-pays. However we are all surviving. I do still get medical benefits as a retiree but that could change so I have budgeted accordingly I will be eligible for medicare in three years anyway so I’m not sure what will happen then. So for the union to think they can hold out for free medical is unrealistic in my opinion.

Sarah Johnson
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 229
    • Total Posts - 235

As a regular BelAir Waterman shopper since the day that store opened, I can say that I have never not been asked if I would like help out, I have never experienced any rude or uncaring behavior. To the contrary, they are always helpful, patient, friendly and caring. I hope Belair avoids the strike, but if it happens, I will sadly have to find groceries elsewhere because I will not cross a picket line and I hope the rest of you honor it as well.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Honor what? Sarah, sorry, but I can’t afford the unions bosses’ lifestyle. I will not only cross the picket lines, I will shop there more often now until the strike is over. I might even lead group tours. Anyone know where I can rent a bus?

Sarah Johnson
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 229
    • Total Posts - 235

Don’t be sorry, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Peter went grocery shopping today, and Raleys is striking. He crossed the lines. I said good job.

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

@Sarah Johnson 69195 wrote:

As a regular BelAir Waterman shopper since the day that store opened, I can say that I have never not been asked if I would like help out, I have never experienced any rude or uncaring behavior. To the contrary, they are always helpful, patient, friendly and caring. I hope Belair avoids the strike, but if it happens, I will sadly have to find groceries elsewhere because I will not cross a picket line and I hope the rest of you honor it as well.

I am going to go shop Raley’s just so I can cross the picket line. Even if I don’t need anything, I’m going shop Raleys.

Sarah Johnson
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 229
    • Total Posts - 235

Good for you, your purchases will help keep Raley’s in business.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I won’t “honor” any strike. In my opinion, there is nothing good about unions. I am a fiscally conservative Democrat. My husband is a liberal who was a complete union supporter-until he saw the behind the scenes shenanigans they pull. In his job a specialist in employment law he has seen too much illegal and unethical behavior pulled by union leadership to support them. Even he can no longer find a single positive thing about labor unions these days. I was happy when he told me he went to Raley’s already this morning. He didn’t know there was a strike when he went in, and the strike had nothing to do with his decision to shop there. But he did watch very, very closely to make sure the picketers weren’t breaking any laws, and he would have been more than happy to report them if he witnessed such behavior.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

If Bel Air strikes I will likely shop elsewhere until the strike is over. Its not my battle. I like the employees there, some of whom i am friends with. Shopping at either store more or less during the strike will have no impact. They won’t be able to keep the shelves stocked and customer service will be awful. Eventually it will get settled one way or another.

Tom as usual is full of baloney because he won’t shop at the waterman Bel Air anyway because he won’t drive through Old Town because it will take 2 more minutes to get there and the Calvine Bel Air is after a red light intersection.

Raven
    • Topics - 202
    • Replies - 2,442
    • Total Posts - 2,644

I’m tired of the unions. I won’t stand behind them.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

I’m off to Bel Air a little later. I was thinking about going to Winco, but I will happily do what I can to support Raleys. Is it true that the union is not letting its members vote on the offer by Raley’s? If so, do the employees who are the union members have any rights to break their attachment with the union? Ugh. I hope everyone is going to vote Yes on prop 32. Every time I hear the no on 32 ads on the radio it makes me sick to think how much of their members’ money they spend on political agendas.

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

Made a special trip to Raley’s… found out they cater… so ordered food for 6 different election night parties!

Went to all the neighbors to ask them to shop at Raley’s this week… 5 out of 6 said yes…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Hopefully they get the food to you before Thanksgiving.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

Apparently Raley’s employees were upset about having to pay 60.00 a month per pay period. I pay about 125.00 per pay period. The employees do have VERY good benefits. I will have to shop at Raley’s tomorrow because Bel Air was not striking. I really wonder if the employees are the picketers? When union was protesting Winco coming in it looked like they hired a bunch of homeless guys. I am saying that because their hair and facial hair was too long to be one that works at the grocery store.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Nah, Doc… I have been braving the cameras at Bruceville and Elk Grove for a while now.

I shop at the Raleys on Elk Grove and Franklin almost every morning. I will be very happy to say hello to the workers striking if they are indeed the ones on the picket lines. I know many of them, and hope they will be okay, but it is a decision that they are making to strike. If they don’t like their union leadership, do away with them.

I don’t go to Waterman all that often, because I just don’t get over that way much anymore. The kids school is the other direction, and it is just easier for us to shop that side. Oh, well.

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

Something like 10 protesters/strikers at the Raley’s by our house… probably 50 employees working inside and lots of shoppers…

If strike still going on after the election, we’re going to walk our neighborhood and pass out “Shop Raley’s” coupons.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

To the contrary, and with all due respect, I will make it a daily pattern to cross the Raley’s picket lines to show the union they do not make the rules. We the customers do, and our pocketbooks have been going elsewhere for several years.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Ultimately Raley’s will lose business during this time. Not enough people will go out of their way to shop there just because of the strike to make up for those that will not shop there. Not sure I understand the mentality of “I’m going to go out of my way to shop there now because of the strike…”

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

At Raley’s today the picketers were very respectful and just said “Hello” as we walked in. No glares or comments or anything. Inside the store everything was fully stocked and workers were everywhere. There were also security guards outside the store, and employees walking the parking lot telling customers “Thanks for coming in today!”

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

Our local Raleys seems just as busy as usual. Not sure the strike is having much of an impact… but the longer it drags on, the more likely strikers will get more aggressive…

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

If you are referring to the Franklin and EG Blvd, there were considerably fewer shoppers in there today than on a typical week day around that time. Far more people working inside than shopping inside. The parking lot was packed though-not sure why. Like I said, everything was fully stocked though.

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

No, that’s not my Raley’s.

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

I will cross the picket lines.

Sarah Johnson
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 229
    • Total Posts - 235

I’ll probably get slammed for this, but the title of this thread should say imminent not eminent. It’s bothered me from the beginning so I decided to mention it.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@Sarah Johnson 69278 wrote:

I’ll probably get slammed for this, but the title of this thread should say imminent not eminent. It’s bothered me from the beginning so I decided to mention it.

It’s bothered me probably more than you Sarah! I was able to change the spelling when you click on the subject, but not in the forum. It was a stupid error and you have every right to bring it up.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I went to the same Raley’s as PP last night. There were a few pickets, all non store employees. A guy greeting me at the door thanked me for shopping the store. I responded in a not quiet voice that I would be there every day even if I didn’t need anything, just to break the line. Some deadbeat picket mumbled something about people out of work. In the store I recognized some employees, and when leaving the greeter seemed pretty chummy with the pickets. I don’t get it. 1) who is he, and 2) who’s working inside?

Update (answered #2 above) from Progressive Grocer: While picket lines went up early this morning, all of the company’s stores remained open, and according to a company spokesperson, “nearly half of our union employees have crossed the picket line and returned to work.”

omgnate
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 478
    • Total Posts - 479

The Raley’s on EG Blvd is a Polling Place, which explains all the cars in the lot I suppose…

I don’t have to make a decision about crossing the lines..I almost never shop there or Belair..I am a grocery outlet, Costco, Sprouts, Nugget, Trader Joes, Safeway shopper…And yes I shop at all of them regularly..Retirement has its privileges to shop around for the best prices, best quality in meats, veggies, fruit and specialty items…:biggrin:

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I don’t care for the produce or meat/poultry at Grocery Outlet. I shop Costco and Trader Joe’s a lot. Nugget is actually closest to my house, but I’ve found their fruit is often over-ripe at the store and won’t last more than a day at home. Their deli meat prices are way to high.

omgnate
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 478
    • Total Posts - 479

I only buy meats at Costco and Nugget..Love Grocery Outlet for dry goods,laundry stuff,
    can goods and other misc..But, sometimes they have good deals on Foster Farm chicken, bacon, breakfast stuff like waffles, cereal, sausage and some frozen items..

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Omgnate I think you are a good shopper, but I’m dumbfounded at the Grocery Outlet prices. I admit I’ve only been twice and both times to the Rancho store, but I didn’t see one item there that could not be found cheaper elsewhere. I didn’t look at the perishables. I wonder if there’s a difference between stores?

omgnate
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 478
    • Total Posts - 479

That might be John, maybe they look at the demographics of the area for their ordering of inventory…I notice the can goods are cheaper..Not the brands Californians would recognize..But having lived in the Midwest and East Coast I recognize them…Some dairy is cheaper, as well as produce..At times things like detergent and cleaning products are a good deal
    as well…You have to go often..I usually stop in after Bible Study on Tuesdays since I have to pass it by on the way home…

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

FYI, they moved the Raley’s polling place to the parking lot because of the strike.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@omgnate 69290 wrote:

That might be John, maybe they look at the demographics of the area for their ordering of inventory…I notice the can goods are cheaper..Not the brands Californians would recognize..But having lived in the Midwest and East Coast I recognize them…Some dairy is cheaper, as well as produce..At times things like detergent and cleaning products are a good deal
    as well…You have to go often..I usually stop in after Bible Study on Tuesdays since I have to pass it by on the way home…

I find it axiomatic that you pay more for food in ghetto/near ghetto areas, and this part of Rancho is. I have found Big Lots to be a great source for dry goods, and hit the Orangevale store up every couple of weeks.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I was in the EG/Franklin Raley’s this morning, and there were a lot of people in the store shopping, and a bunch of regular employees working. I did notice a lot of people I know from the store on the picket lines. But many more I have never seen before. In fact, it seemed like the only people holding signs were people I did not recognize. Those I do know were just standing around talking. Everyone was nice, both picketers and working employees.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@omgnate 69281 wrote:

The Raley’s on EG Blvd is a Polling Place, which explains all the cars in the lot I suppose…

Except that I was there yesterday and there wasn’t any voting going on there yesterday.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

It should only be today and tomorrow. Remember, Republicans vote today, Democrats tomorrow. 😉

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Strike has been settled after 9 days. Looks all you picket line crossers made a difference. 😉

morgandog
    • Topics - 16
    • Replies - 202
    • Total Posts - 218

Here is another point of view from an ex Raley’s Bel Air and a Meat cutter (Me) of 5 years and 32 years as a “old School” meat cutter. The real guys who can break beef and know what end to feed and what end to clean up after! Yes I have 20+ years vested in the “so Called” union.
    When we were Amalgamated Meat Cutters we were strong. Then someone got the bright idea of joining the clerks. That was the end of our strength. Many reason to deep for this thread, But…When I was a meat cutter for other chains it use to piss off that Raleys employees would sign a “Sweetheart” agreement. That means that they (Raley’s) would except what ever the other chain employees would settle for! Yes this meant that everyone else would picket and fight for a contract. It was the chicken shit why out! It pissed off every meat cutter and clerk around and we looked at them as spineless! Let someone fight your battle and not support the cause and still collect your pay check while other would walk the picket line!
    Now time moves forward and everyone else has signed contracts and here Bel Air is standing alone on their own island all alone…..
    Yes I did go to work for them as it was a means of work and yes a family owned company and it was good until they went way corporate and it became like any other chain buying Snob Hill and Bel Air. Still a good chain compared to other but all the same now.
    Here is my opinion. After all of the years of signing those “Sweetheart” agreement they get what they deserve and that is to fight alone in their own battle and pay for not supporting when it was needed! To bad for them and I am sorry to see anyone out of work but this was created on their own.
    In my opinion, now days Unions are no longer needed and are nothing but a strong arming bunch of bullies.
    We all have to pay our fair share and many of us fight to find work and work and live within our means.
    Something that so many of you dont know and is a fact, If you dont vote the union cast a vote for you! The reason this matters is that so many people who work for the union DONT VOTE! Many are young people that I fought for their future and so many are part timers and other dont care and DONT VOTE! But now a strike on the horizon and they cry that the company is doing them wrong!
    This strike was created many many years ago and even up to 15 years ago with Raleys. It was the employees way of keeping money in their pockets in the short run and settle for what the rest of the union employees are fighting for. So there is no one to blame but Raleys employees for being in this position.
    By no means am on kicking them while they are down and I am very sorry to see anyone unemployed as I have been this years for many months. It is a bummer that so many new employees of the store are suffering (if you can call it that) because of this strike. But it goes way back time time.
    And for those that think “well you get a pension”…..my payout will be Pennies due to the many changes in the “Clecks” union over the years and I dont have enough time in to get crap! When we joined the clerk it all went down hill and you see the results now.
    When Retail Grocery was a trade and a skill it was a good thing! Now the union is not needed and is just a money grab!
    Ok…Ill step down now!

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

It’s always good to hear an opinion from someone “inside.” Morgandog, do you think the retail butchers today have the same skills and knowledge of those in the past? I’m kind of shocked sometimes when I’ll ask a grocery store butcher a question about meat or cuts and they don’t have a clue. Recently one butcher at this chain was not familiar with a packer cut.

morgandog
    • Topics - 16
    • Replies - 202
    • Total Posts - 218

They are absolutely clueless! I have forgotten more than any butcher these days will ever learn! Any knucklehead can open a box and cut meat. It is “put knife here and cut” type of business anymore. There was a time where you had to think about what you did with the product. How to make the customer happy and make the company money.
    Just last night I went to Bel Air on Laguna, the store I worked at and asked the dummy behind the counter for the Frozen Alaskan Cod that was on sale. He told me that they didnt have any Cod on sale. I explain that I got it Monday at Bel Air on Waterman. He told me that “they were probably long on the product” and had to move it! I told him that you are never long on a frozen product! (meaning it was frozen and it sells another time unlike fresh) and he looked at me as if I was nuts! Then I drop the I worked here line and he curled up in a ball and rolled away!
    So yes LC, they dont know crap about the biz anymore. I hate having to ask a question as I know there will not be the correct answer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.