fbpx
Advertisements

Random driving tips for 2015

This topic contains 65 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hofarrell 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

You don’t need to stop to turn if there is no light or stop sign.
    You don’t have to stop to make a U turn at a light.
    If you pull in front of someone on a road or freeway they shouldn’t have to stop or slow down.
    Using your turn signal is a good thing.
    Stopping 15 feet before a stop sign to beat another car and go first doesn’t count.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Had a bad time on the road today, huh?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Actually no. We went to lunch and the stopping to turn or make a U turn was cracking me up. We were going to Chipotle and had to make a U turn at Bruceville and people were acting like they were making a tight turn. I make that turn in my truck or SUV easily. The other things were just stuff I see all the time. My patience for bad driving depends on which vehicle I am in at the time. If I am in my Tundra I find myself being less patient with bad drivers in little cars. My wife gets mad when I do that. 🙂
    One day we were at a 4 way stop and it was definitely my time to go and some lady in a Prius thought it was her turn and she tried to do the quick stop and go. I just started going and figured she would stop. She did. I usually give them the finger wave to say “no, no.”. Or I put my hands out like “WTH are you doing?”

Pulling out in front of people is one thing that is irritating. If I do it, I will floor it to make sure I get up to speed fast enough so they don’t have to slow down much or stop.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Random tips~ My girls will be on the road . We had them practice for a year, we made our own rules before they got their license. Still I am frightened. I dont remember this being in the hand book for parents.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Doc, my wife gets irritated with me when I remind drivers that they are not exercising good drivers skills. I just ask that people be consistent. If I can predict your stupidity, I am good with you driving like an idiot. Just be consistent.

Viola, when my oldest was learning to drive, I was terrified. He was driving his mom’s Suburban, and I feared for anyone on the roads, near the roads, or within the general vicinity of the roads…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Not looking forward to my kids driving because they won’t have the experience I had. Living on a farm I had been driving since I was 10 in some form. Pickups with stick shifts, tractors, trucks. So driving on the road wasn’t as big a deal for me because I felt comfortable behind the wheel. I think there are a lot more distractions now with phones, navigation GPS and better stereos. My first car only had AM and that was about it.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

That’s true. I grew up with the tractors and buggys. I was driving go carts when I was 6. I guess when I think about it, I was driving my dad’s truck when I was about 12. My older kids didn’t get this, and my younger ones certainly won’t get that experience, except maybe the go cart part. But not nearly as much I as did… Kids have it tough these days.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Thanks, good to know. Thanks for posting.:)

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

No prob Ila 🙂

jusme
    Participant
    • Topics - 258
    • Replies - 800
    • Total Posts - 1,058

Here’s another tip, keep a tight formation when at a stop light. I see so many cars that have at least a car length of space between them and the car before them. This makes a huge difference especially at turning left lanes, because of the space in the beginning of the turning lane. There cars in the back that are hanging into the next lane (the one that goes straight) which then creates a lag when the light finally turns green for those going straight.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Good point Jusme.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

It is also a good idea to use the turn signal at a 4 way stop sign. A few weeks ago a truck and I were at a 4 way stop sign in Wilton waiting for our turns to go. Ordinarily opposing vehicles will drive across without any problems…right? In this case the vehicle opposite did not see any need to signal a left turn and almost got T-boned by me….about to enter the intersection. I guess in a perfect world each of the four vehicles would wait their turn in a clockwise (or counter-clockwise direction?) But I have never seem this done at a 4 way. When the vehicles to the right and left go and clear the intersection the next two opposing vehicles go (hopefully straight…if not the opposing vehicle should have the common courtesy to signal to make the left turn. (Otherwise when you are at an intersection like Sheldon and Waterman during peak hours it will take forever to get through). But I guess that’s asking too much.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Another good tip is if you are on the freeway and going above the speed limit, if someone comes up behind you going faster, then move over and let them pass. That drives me nuts. You would think after one or two cars pass on the right that the person would get a clue. I believe that they think because they are doing the speed limit or even faster that they don’t need to pull over. See that a lot on I-5 going to So Cal where it is 2 lanes a lot of the way.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

While I agree, it should make you pause for a moment if you are that faster car coming up from behind. If you really DO need to be going that much faster, then, yeah, the guy in front should pull over and let you by. But if you don’t need to go that much faster, maybe this is your reality check on your current rate of speed. I have this happen quite a bit. I will come up on someone, and just about the time I am ready to get all torqued at the guy in front, I realize I am going much faster than I thought, and I just back it down a bit and thank God they were there to keep me from that crazy expensive speeding ticket. Just sayin’. 😉

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

I believe signaling a turn is more than a good idea, I believe it is the law. To many morons think holding the cell phone is more important than using the signal lever.

Another thing that I get ticked off at is people not waiting their turn. When there is a long line of cars say to go on the fwy on ramp and some yahoo refuses to wait his turn in the back and jockeys up front and weasels in… that just makes me mad! It is also illegal to cross the solid white line dividing lanes.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Tom, that’s why God created rear view mirrors, to look out for Po Po. 🙂

Depends on the situation. I generally go with the speed of traffic. If everyone is going 75, I’ll go 75.

One thing that bugs me is being in the fast lane and there is a lot of traffic and someone comes up on the right and tries to cut in. I generally don’t let them. They can wait in wait in line like everyone else.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Naw Doc, I think SEA has her husband permanently looking for my ride…

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Wait. That didn’t come out quite right. Um… Nevermind.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Here are my two tips-if you are driving on a street with heavy traffic that moves at a high speed (like say Laguna, Bruceville, etc) you should not slow down so much that you come to a complete stop before you make your turn into a shopping center. Your car can handle a turn at 10-15 miles per hour. Also, when you drive into some shopping centers, like the Kohls at Bruceville and Elk Grove Blvd, many times the cars driving into the center don’t have a stop sign (so that traffic into the center keeps moving) but the other cars must stop for you. Please don’t stop unless you have a stop sign. You mess everyone up when you stop and you don’t have a stop sign.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

@EGL Admin 102538 wrote:

Another good tip is if you are on the freeway and going above the speed limit, if someone comes up behind you going faster, then move over and let them pass. That drives me nuts. You would think after one or two cars pass on the right that the person would get a clue. I believe that they think because they are doing the speed limit or even faster that they don’t need to pull over. See that a lot on I-5 going to So Cal where it is 2 lanes a lot of the way.

Heh. Most of the time there isn’t room to get back over, especially if you are passing a string of trucks and other vehicles. I hate driving those stretches and is the reason I have reverted to putting up with the crowds at south Sac Costco instead of making the run to Lodi. That’s on 99.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

@newmom 102556 wrote:

Here are my two tips-if you are driving on a street with heavy traffic that moves at a high speed (like say Laguna, Bruceville, etc) you should not slow down so much that you come to a complete stop before you make your turn into a shopping center. Your car can handle a turn at 10-15 miles per hour. Also, when you drive into some shopping centers, like the Kohls at Bruceville and Elk Grove Blvd, many times the cars driving into the center don’t have a stop sign (so that traffic into the center keeps moving) but the other cars must stop for you. Please don’t stop unless you have a stop sign. You mess everyone up when you stop and you don’t have a stop sign.

But Newmom if people made the turns that fast many would find their laps full of coffee! :stir:

I don’t come to complete stops in parking lots but I go very slow because there is alwys that asshat who thinks they don’t have to obey the stop sign.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Driving has gotten much easier since I had the rocket launchers installed on the car.

And yeah, the slowing down to the point of stopping bit is at epidemic levels on the east end of Elk Grove Blvd. Not that that is why I had the rocket launchers installed or anything…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bevone 102558 wrote:

Heh. Most of the time there isn’t room to get back over, especially if you are passing a string of trucks and other vehicles. I hate driving those stretches and is the reason I have reverted to putting up with the crowds at south Sac Costco instead of making the run to Lodi. That’s on 99.

I went to the Lodi Costco a couple of weeks ago. It was nice and not crowded at all even a few days before Christmas. I don’t think I would make that drive to avoid going to the one in South Sac. It’s 20-25 minutes from my house vs maybe 10-15 to the one in South Sac. If I am out and about I will also go to the one on Sunrise or in Folsom. Even if the one in South Sac is crowded you can usually still get in and out fairly quickly.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 102556 wrote:

Stopping to turn is what I mentioned in my first post. You’re going 45 down Laguna and then the person ahead of you just about stops to turn right. I’ve never looked at my speed when I turn so I don’t know what a safe speed is. I know I don’t have to stop. That center with Kohl’s and TJ’s is a a cluster because it’s hard to tell who stops sometimes and even if you have the right away who know if the person realizes it.

The other night we went to Fair Oaks for New Year’s Eve. We headed home around 1:15 am and every stop light even if I had the green light I was looking both ways to make sure oncoming cars would stop as I entered the intersection. I was driving very defensively.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

It seems the south Sac Costco has a better selection of organic food which I am eating more of. My organic veggies get delivered to my door every week so I am covered there. But Costco has other organic items as well. They have coupons for cat litter this month so I may have to make a run there soon, If my son is free I will dig up a mask (since the flu shots were a bust) and take mom there as well.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

My biggest pet peve is when your coming out of a parking lot and some idioit is coming into the parking lot and don’t signal. OR the best one is (no offense) but prius drivers irritate me. Either they are driving too slow or driving way too fast.

Also, I always leave room between me and a car while being stopped. I’m not going to be hugged up on another cars behind. I’m looking out for myself because I’ve been rear ended before at a light where I was hugged up on the car in front of me. If I had some inches I would have been able to move up or move over.

ActionEmotion
    • Topics - 130
    • Replies - 1,822
    • Total Posts - 1,952

OK Here we go. Remember, my suggestions are not just suggestions, they are supported by the CA vehicle code.

1. When making a right turn, enter the bicycle lane at the broken line (after checking over your shoulder for bicycles) before making your turn. This enables others to continue in the lane without having to brake.

2. Yield doesn’t mean stop unless someone is approaching in the lane you are entering. Go for the love of all that is good and holy, GO!

3. Tailgaters create traffic for two main reasons. The forst is that they are frequently using their brakes to avoid hitting the vehicle they are travelling too closely behind. This causes others to use their brakes and this slows traffic considerably. Don’t tailgate. The second reason is that tailgaters are more likely to be involved in or cause an accident.

4. The brake is not your friend. Coast in between acceleration points. The brake is for slowing down rapidly or stopping only. Speed regulation can be done 90% of the time by letting off the accelerator.

5. SMOG Signal, Mirror Over the Shoulder, Go. Don’t change lanes unless you SMOG.

6. Stopping behind the limit line saves lives. If you are over the limit line and in the center lane, the car making a right turn after stopping at the light has to venture further into traffic to see pedestrians and oncoming vehicles.

7. Get off the damn phone.

8. Stop at stop signs. Come to a complete stop.

9. Right of way means the person who is on the right goes first unless you got to the limit line and stopped first. Rolling a stop at a 4 way will get you in an accident eventually.
    Now for my personal input. Don’t be a jerk. When you are second behind a car at a red light and the lane next to you is open. Check your mirror and look over your shoulder before changing into the open lane. If someone is coming, STAY where you are. It improves the flow of traffic. One car length isn’t going to get you there any faster.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

You are suppose to not stop when you are not suppose to stop. My baby flunked that, its an automatic no.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I hate when people stop right there off of Franklin when turning right onto Bilby when it says Yield. Right across from the skating rink. No other cars are coming keep going!

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

I don’t agree with all of the advice on here but I will add a tip of my own. When making a U-Turn at an intersection, it is NOT necessary to turn RIGHT just before making your U-Turn to the LEFT. Just proceed forward, and while staying in YOUR lane, crank the wheel to the LEFT when your rear wheel is even with the curb. I guarantee you will not hit the curb and more importantly you will not hit the car to your right.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I have another one. Stop making a damn u-turn in front of big lots when your not supposed to. Better yet don’t make a U-turn at Fire Poppy and Elk Grove Blvd when there isn’t even a spot to make a U-turn

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I saw the EGPD motor cop one day just standing in front of Big Lots and as the cars made a U turn he waved them to pull over. It’s ridiculous. People do that to avoid making a right at the light to get to northbound 99. I don’t get why. Can’t save them that much time.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@loonyman 102735 wrote:

I don’t agree with all of the advice on here but I will add a tip of my own. When making a U-Turn at an intersection, it is NOT necessary to turn RIGHT just before making your U-Turn to the LEFT. Just proceed forward, and while staying in YOUR lane, crank the wheel to the LEFT when your rear wheel is even with the curb. I guarantee you will not hit the curb and more importantly you will not hit the car to your right.

I see the big dually pickups do that a lot. My Tundra sometimes has a hard time making a U turn at lights that are only 2 lanes wide. If I am on westbound Bond at EG Florin to make a U turn to go to AM-PM, I can barely make that turn without having to do a 3 point turn. Our Suburban makes it easy.

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

@loonyman 102735 wrote:

I agree! This is a big pet peeve of mine. People scare the crap out of me when they turn into me before making a u-turn.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

I see a lot of small cars, minivans and small SUV’s doing that. I can’t figure out why except maybe they are worried they will hit the curb while they are attempting a U-turn. Can’t remember seeing a dually or other large truck do it. Mostly people who drive large vehicles are aware that their vehicle takes up more room in the lane and don’t attempt turns they can’t make.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Another good one is if you pull into the retail center where Red Robin is from Westbound Laguna Blvd, there is no sip sign as you pull into the parking lot.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Laguna Springs and EG blvd on the weekend going east. WHY must people block the intersection. I’m usually stuck at the light coming south on Laguna Springs because people decide to block the intersection. Can we get those 2 lights at the automall and laguna springs to stay green at the same time.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Many of the parking lots (like the Kohl’s one) don’t have stop signs when you enter from a major street, since they want to keep traffic moving. The Target shopping center does have stop signs though. A good rule of thumb (cue sarcastic tone) is if you don’t see a stop sign, keep going.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

^That a big one in the Kohls shopping center. Coming off of Bruceville people will stop, while I’m sitting at the stop sign like GO you have the right away. Same goes for the Panera Bread shopping center when entering from Bond road.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I do that ALL THE TIME. I’m in that center a lot and people entering off of Bruceville stop hold everyone up. I’m constantly yelling at people in my head so I don’t cuss with my kids in the car.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I should make a sign that says JUST GO ALREADY, and post it there. LOL

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I was in the center by Red Robin today which is why I posted that earlier. I came in off Big Horn and as I passed both entrances off Laguna Blvd into that center, the drivers stopped when there was no stop sign and I was already stopped because I had a stop sign. I waved to them to go ahead.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

4. The brake is not your friend. Coast in between acceleration points. The brake is for slowing down rapidly or stopping only. Speed regulation can be done 90% of the time by letting off the accelerator.

Brake riders drive me nuts. My brakes last a long time because I don’t ride them. It is not my intent to make brake repair shops rich.

hofarrell
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 2
    • Total Posts - 2

What’s your opinion on entering a freeway. I usually get on at proper freeway speeds and find people constantly speeding up to pass me. Usually I am in a lane that is terminating or becoming an exit. Should I have to slow down and wait for a car to let me on the freeway or should others observe my turn signal and give me room to enter?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think other cars should yield and let you in or pull over if they can as long as you are going freeway speed. Sometimes you have to force the issue. 🙂

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I just usally force the issue

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

In the Kohl’s center I’ve started going out of my way and down by Trader Joes to avoid that area because it is always an issue.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

^ I catch myself doing that too. I hate how you can’t turn right onto Bruceville from Civic Center or whatever that street is called right there when the light is red. I feel like I’m waiting there forever.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@hofarrell 102836 wrote:

What’s your opinion on entering a freeway. I usually get on at proper freeway speeds and find people constantly speeding up to pass me. Usually I am in a lane that is terminating or becoming an exit. Should I have to slow down and wait for a car to let me on the freeway or should others observe my turn signal and give me room to enter?

My personal practice is to stay out of the right-most lane and leave it for exiting/entering vehicles. If I am in that lane and I observe an exiting/entering vehicle, I’ll move out of the way, unless I’m the one performing the exiting or entering 🙂

@EGL Admin 102770 wrote:

I saw the EGPD motor cop one day just standing in front of Big Lots and as the cars made a U turn he waved them to pull over. It’s ridiculous. People do that to avoid making a right at the light to get to northbound 99. I don’t get why. Can’t save them that much time.

I just u-turn at EG Blvd and E. Stockton/Emerald 🙂
    Does it save time? maybe 5seconds 😛
    What benefit do I get out of it? Avoiding some of the people who pile up in that lane to get on the 99. But I’ve only done this 3x to be exact since the new on-ramp 🙂

@jusme 102510 wrote:

Here’s another tip, keep a tight formation when at a stop light. I see so many cars that have at least a car length of space between them and the car before them. This makes a huge difference especially at turning left lanes, because of the space in the beginning of the turning lane. There cars in the back that are hanging into the next lane (the one that goes straight) which then creates a lag when the light finally turns green for those going straight.

I leave about an exact space for a compact car in front. 3 reasons for me 🙂
    1. (personal paranoia) gives me space to turn-out in the event someone tries to attack me while in car; windows up or down. I do this especially at RailRoad stops.
    2. My brakes on my SUV are under-engineered for the size/weight. So as to not damage my rotors by sitting on them at stoplights, I leave some room for me to “creep” the car up so that the pad is not always in contact with the same section of the rotor at the stop.
    3. I watch the rear-view for vehicles coming up behind me. If they look like they’re barely going to make it, I can move forward slightly in hopes that extra space helps.

I will note, that if I’m potentially causing a block to the right-turn lane (again, i often watch the rear-views) I’ll scootch up 🙂 I’m not that much of a jerk 😉

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

There’s a new on ramp at EG and E. Stockton? Is that why they blocked the left turn onto Northbound 99 coming from the west?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@plasmadrive 103537 wrote:

There’s a new on ramp at EG and E. Stockton? Is that why they blocked the left turn onto Northbound 99 coming from the west?

Are you pulling our leg or did you not really know? 🙂

ActionEmotion
    • Topics - 130
    • Replies - 1,822
    • Total Posts - 1,952

@jusme 102510 wrote:

Actually drivers are supposed to leave at least 1 car length at a stop light. This is so if you get rear ended you don’t end up crashing into the car ahead. That is what the CA DMV wants to be taught to all new drivers, its in the handbook too. Also, when at a stop light pay attention to the signals and the pedestrians and not your phone. Its down right maddening when you get stuck at a light twice because some yahoo is staring at their phone and not moving on a green.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Here is mine:

When doing what is for some strange reason so popular with the 20 and 30 somethings, backing into a space, take it easy on the gas when backing up. If you miss a wheel stop, you might catch the curb. If you jump the curb, you might run into the natural gas manifold, cause a neighborhood shutdown from PG&E, and incur some property damage bills, of maybe about $26,120.00.

Even with that behind you, it’s difficult to understand someone doing it twice in a period of two weeks. If you’re going to do it twice, you might be wanting to get a quote from Mutual of Nogales for your next liability and PD policy because I’m pretty sure The Hartford don’ wan you no mo’.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Wow. Hopefully that wasn’t someone you know.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

When I am in my tundra I always back into a space. Just safer in my opinion and easier to get in and out of parking spaces. Unless the spaces are angled. In that case I just pull in. Some parking lots are pretty tight and it’s hard to pull into them without doing a 3 point turn.

LC, did her car have the backup warning system? Never forget after my wife got her car a few years ago and we were in SF and she was parking at a hotel and backed into the spot. The closer you get to something the faster it beeps. So she’s backing up and it’s going beep beep beep and then beepbeepbeep and then boom she backs into the wall. I said you do realize that the faster it beeps the closer you are to the object right? “Oh is that what that sound is?” Plus it had a backup camera too.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Doubt the car had any backup warning system, or camera. It was an employee of a tenant. Clueless, did it twice. The second time we had installed more bollards in front of the gas meters and she really racked up her car’s rear end with them. Of course, it was our fault 😉 That didn’t work for her either.

If you were to see the setup, you’d have no explanation of how someone could jump the wheel stops and high curb with a small import without having an inkling something’s awry.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@EGL Admin 103541 wrote:

Are you pulling our leg or did you not really know? 🙂

Had no clue.. don’t go that way very often, obviously. :Tongue sticking out

When they started construction over there I think I caught the front end of it the wait was just awful, so I changed my driving habits to avoid it for a long long time. Even took the back way into Wally World from Bond.

I came that way about a week ago for the first time in a very long time and I wondered why they blocked that turn lane off to N.99. Well now I know. LOL

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Yeah, now coming from the west you have to go to East Stockton and turn right. It is illegal to make a U Turn at the left turn lane to get to Big Lots. People do it all the time to avoid going to the stop light and turning right. They did it to improve traffic flow on EG Blvd in both directions and eliminate that stop light right at the freeway. It’s not the best solution, but they had to go around the cemetery and it’s better than it was.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@EGL Admin 103575 wrote:

When I am in my tundra I always back into a space. Just safer in my opinion and easier to get in and out of parking spaces. Unless the spaces are angled. In that case I just pull in. Some parking lots are pretty tight and it’s hard to pull into them without doing a 3 point turn.

LC, did her car have the backup warning system? Never forget after my wife got her car a few years ago and we were in SF and she was parking at a hotel and backed into the spot. The closer you get to something the faster it beeps. So she’s backing up and it’s going beep beep beep and then beepbeepbeep and then boom she backs into the wall. I said you do realize that the faster it beeps the closer you are to the object right? “Oh is that what that sound is?” Plus it had a backup camera too.

I have a tundra and I do the same. To me its easier to backup into a spot and to get out of the spot if you back in. I have the sensors and back up camera, so I will not run into anything.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@hofarrell 102836 wrote:

It is the duty of the person entering the freeway to merge. You shouldn’t have to rely on the people on the freeway to slow down, speed up, or let you in. You need to go faster, slower, etc… in order to merge onto the freeway.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

@CJay916 103584 wrote:

It is the duty of the person entering the freeway to merge. You shouldn’t have to rely on the people on the freeway to slow down, speed up, or let you in. You need to go faster, slower, etc… in order to merge onto the freeway.

This is true. If I am on the freeway and I see someone on the onramp, I do try to adjust a little to make it easier for them to merge but it is their responsibility to merge safely. Some people are incapable of that however.

I always back into parking spaces whenever possible, regardless of the vehicle I am driving (Except the 35′ RV, then I just pull in where it is easy to pull out). I usually pick the least crowded part of the lot so as not to inconvenience anyone else and avoid door dings. It’s not so hard to walk a few extra feet to avoid the crowded areas.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

@EGL Admin 103582 wrote:

Yeah, now coming from the west you have to go to East Stockton and turn right. It is illegal to make a U Turn at the left turn lane to get to Big Lots. People do it all the time to avoid going to the stop light and turning right. They did it to improve traffic flow on EG Blvd in both directions and eliminate that stop light right at the freeway. It’s not the best solution, but they had to go around the cemetery and it’s better than it was.

Traffic flow is much improved since the new onramp opened. I used to avoid driving east on EGB (Especially during peak times). Now traffic does not back up near as much and you can usually get through without a problem.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It used to really back up heading east at the light by the AM-PM and back up past the light at the Auto Mall and then you would have cars jockeying to get into the left lanes to turn left to get to northbound 99. I know a lot of people complain about the new on ramp, but they really had limited options for getting people heading east on to NB 99. Eliminating that left turn was necessary and they had to go around the cemetery. I never need to go that way to get to 99, so I don’t know what it is like there. People complain about everything and have no better solutions though either.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

“People complain about everything and have no better solutions though either.”

Isn’t that what makes Internet forums like this so popular? :biggrin:

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I back into spaces as well. There is still the issue going EB on EG Blvd. With the light by the automall.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

@gearshark23 103595 wrote:

I back into spaces as well. There is still the issue going EB on EG Blvd. With the light by the automall.

It is no where near as bad as before the new onramp. I no longer avoid that area now because traffic flows a lot better. That light stays green a long time so your chances of getting through are pretty good. Not a lot of options going EB anywhere in town, especially if you are trying to avoid getting stuck at a light.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Here’s one. If the light is green, don’t start slowing down. Was going to make a left turn today and car in front was straddling both left turn lanes and starts braking while light is green then stopped right when It turned yellow. Yellow means go faster. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.