fbpx

rant about sidewalk

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

poker98
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 13

Many sidewalk panels along the street of Laguna West has been lifted by tree roots. I guess many years ago, developer thought it would be safe to plant trees along easmments. As the tree grew large, so did their roots in the confined space, lifting sidewalks and curbs. Public worker are seen each year leveling the sidewalk by shaving lifted panels. Now would the city pay for tree removal if it has the potential to damage sewage line and prevent future sidewalk repair? Patch work was done to the street in front of my house several times, city also added a ramp to meet code. Why couldnt they just get down to the core of the problem and replace the tree?

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

You are kidding right???? Government getting to the root cause? :funny3::funny3:

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@poker98 122561 wrote:

Many sidewalk panels along the street of Laguna West has been lifted by tree roots. I guess many years ago, developer thought it would be safe to plant trees along easmments. As the tree grew large, so did their roots in the confined space, lifting sidewalks and curbs. Public worker are seen each year leveling the sidewalk by shaving lifted panels. Now would the city pay for tree removal if it has the potential to damage sewage line and prevent future sidewalk repair? Patch work was done to the street in front of my house several times, city also added a ramp to meet code. Why couldnt they just get down to the core of the problem and replace the tree?

I was an original owner in LW in 1997. The sidewalks and trees were a problem even back then. The CC&Rs only allowed for certain trees to be planted in common areas, and they were all fast growing trees that were not well suited for the small front yards and planter wells they were planted in. The plan was for the area to quickly look lush and developed, but little thought was given to the many downsides to tree choice and placement. When we moved out of LW, many homeowners were being forced to have their trees removed at a cost of almost $1,000 (in 2004) because the roots were damaging driveways and foundations. Our street was planted with sycamores in front yards that were about 15ftx15ft. Way too small an area. Sadly the homeowners had to replant with the same tree.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Whenever I drive down one of the streets with the planters in them, I always wonder who the idiot was who had that idea.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

Maybe the same folks who did this to Laguna Oaks Drive?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2207[/ATTACH]

Seriously, if you haven’t seen it and want a good laugh, go by and take a look.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Its not just Laguna West…..they shave our sidewalks too…….you know, because that “fixes” the issue? lol

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@joy 122583 wrote:

Maybe the same folks who did this to Laguna Oaks Drive?

[IMG]http://www.elkgrove-laguna.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2207&stc=1[/IMG]

Seriously, if you haven’t seen it and want a good laugh, go by and take a look.

What the heck? Where is that, and is there an excuse for that?

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Phil Angelides, architect Peter Calthorpe, and Phil’s lap dog Illa Collin.

grouse
    Participant
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 83
    • Total Posts - 87

@lc 122587 wrote:

Phil Angelides, architect Peter Calthorpe, and Phil’s lap dog Illa Collin.

that is correct, however, ultimately, the planning department has veto power here. Are they not the ones protecting the “public” interest. On all of our developments, we have had to “modify our plans” and there is always a landscape plan requirement and approval process.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@newmom 122585 wrote:

What the heck? Where is that, and is there an excuse for that?

I believe is was our city’s idea of “speed calming measures.” I thought it was a joke for a good long while (the line painting guy’s last day and an FU to the city, maybe?.) And no, there is no excuse for that or my terrible artistic rendering. You really have to see it in person.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2208[/ATTACH]

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I don’t drive that road often, but never really paid attention to it. Now I will have to drive by.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Doc, you’ll love it! I can envision your Facebook post already.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I need to get one of those dash cams for my car.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

He needed to see it the first time they tried to change it – it was the most comical street ever. Lombard Street was easier to maneuver. Now that they have fixed it, for a second time, it’s not quite as ridiculous. They removed the two speed bumps at the cross walk, removed one of the half circles that everyone drove over and made one of the half circle to a quarter circle. Oh and the lines actually line up. I should have taken photos

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

So when did they do all this? Recently?

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

The phase one or two mistake? It’s been awhile – I remember complaining about it before the election, asking what planning committee made the mistake

Phase two was just fixed a few months ago

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

I live in Stonelake and the builders there did a bang up job. Instead of putting the trees in the center of the lawn, and then they may have ruined the sidewalks, they put them smack dab against our fences in some areas. Soooo, in order to keep the concrete and my foundation safe,
    3 beautiful and fabulous shade bearing trees, their roots uprooted lots of my lawn and my fence. $2,000 later, had to be cut down and 2 more planted (approved by the HOA), yes I had to pick only trees they approved, I totally feel your pain at sidewalk issues be cause of tree roots. Sorry for MY rant.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

Having to pick from certain trees is something that we all should take up with our appropriate Homeowners Associations. They may just not be aware that they have created a list of trees that are NOT good choices for the setting. From what I have been told by various government officials, it was explained correctly above that the choice of most developers is for fast growing trees (like flowering pear) in order to make the area look lush quickly. They really don’t give any thought to what will happen a few years down the road when they have already sold all the homes and have moved on to the next development. Sadly, our planning department doesn’t seem to care either. We get stuck with bad sidewalks and having to replace trees and fences because of short sighted thinking.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Another thing is we have a lot of hard pan here and the tree roots don’t go down, they go out. I’m sure when they plant the trees they don’t go very deep. Just deep enough to plant it. This is one reason I wouldn’t want to live in an HOA community. Being told what kind of tree I can plant and what color I can paint my house is not something I would be interested in. I understand the benefits of the HOA too, but I wouldn’t like it. Some are too strict. The newer homes at Valley Hi Country Club is one of the worst. A guy built a wall in his back yard and one of the golfers who also lives there complained about it. They measured the wall and it was literally less than an inch too high and they made him take it down. A couple of the guys took great pleasure in being the HOA nazis and policing the area.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy