fbpx
Advertisements

Restaurant Recommendation

This topic contains 59 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Di7799 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Stl.CardsFan
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 8
    • Total Posts - 10

Our 10 year anniversary is coming up and we are brand new to Elk Grove. Can I get some recommendations for a nice, romantic or fine dining place to treat her? Prefer to stay local.

Thanks!

dc327
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 121
    • Total Posts - 127

Boulevard Bistro.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Not many out in EG…. it’s more “chain” type places.

-Brickhouse

– Boulevard Bistro

Would be one of the 2 I’d pick.

GoodEats
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 68
    • Total Posts - 70

@gearshark23 121433 wrote:

Not many out in EG…. it’s more “chain” type places.

-Brickhouse

– Boulevard Bistro

Would be one of the 2 I’d pick.

I agree. If it really is a special event, try going to Boulevard Bistro first. Not only is it the best restaurant in Elk Grove, it is truly one of the best places to dine in the entire Sacramento region.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Boulevard Bistro. You can’t go wrong. It’s a great and small, quiet place, owned and run by a local family with a great back story. Palermo is good if you want Italian. Boulevard Bistro will be great though. I’d skip Brick House though.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Blvd Bistro, but be sure to make a reservation.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@newmom 121438 wrote:

Boulevard Bistro. You can’t go wrong. It’s a great and small, quiet place, owned and run by a local family with a great back story. Palermo is good if you want Italian. Boulevard Bistro will be great though. I’d skip Brick House though.

Palermo is ok..

No offense if anyone thinks otherwise.

Why do you say no to Brickhouse? Just curious.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I’ve had several very bad experiences there. Our first one was good, but three after that were horrible. Each time we thought we’d try again because we like supporting local businesses. Our last time was so bad we couldn’t even finish the entree we shared. I remember it was a pasta carbonara (usually a dish my husband and I both love). One of the times it was really, really busy (Mother’s Day) so we chalked it up to that. Other times it wasn’t busy at all. The last time there was us (only 2 people) and another group, so it wasn’t crowded or busy.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@newmom 121443 wrote:

I’ve had several very bad experiences there. Our first one was good, but three after that were horrible. Each time we thought we’d try again because we like supporting local businesses. Our last time was so bad we couldn’t even finish the entree we shared. I remember it was a pasta carbonara (usually a dish my husband and I both love). One of the times it was really, really busy (Mother’s Day) so we chalked it up to that. Other times it wasn’t busy at all. The last time there was us (only 2 people) and another group, so it wasn’t crowded or busy.

Got it. My wife had one bad experience there. Every time I’ve been though it’s been great. But if I continued to have bad experience I wouldn’t go back either.

saramarshall
    Participant
    • Topics - 10
    • Replies - 214
    • Total Posts - 224

Blvd Bistro is our go to for a special occasion dinner if we want to stay in Elk Grove. I have never had a bad experience there. As recommended previously, make sure to make reservations. I think I celebrated my ten year there, happy anniversary!!!

Stl.CardsFan
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 8
    • Total Posts - 10

Looks like it will Blvd Bistro. Newmom having Metallica as her avatar helped! Love it!

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

You just can’t beat Boulevard Bistro! The food is outstanding, the service and ambiance compares to nothing in Elk Grove. It’s a great place to pamper someone! Make reservations well in advance! Enjoy!

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Delicious!!

enags
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 67
    • Total Posts - 73

if u can’t get into BB do Todo Um Poco.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Also Silva’s Sheldon Inn on Grantline.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@Stl.CardsFan 121427 wrote:

Our 10 year anniversary is coming up and we are brand new to Elk Grove. Can I get some recommendations for a nice, romantic or fine dining place to treat her? Prefer to stay local.

Thanks!

Congrats on the 10 years. Just celebrated 22 years with my wife.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@Stl.CardsFan 121448 wrote:

Looks like it will Blvd Bistro. Newmom having Metallica as her avatar helped! Love it!

Rock on! 🙂

You will love it! It really is fabulous and everything else people here said about the place.

Is now a bad time to mention my family are all Dodgers fans?

Di7799
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 9
    • Total Posts - 10

Wow, everyone loves Blvd Bistro. I’ll have to check that place out 🙂

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

I do love Boulevard Bistro, but I love Silva’s Sheldon Inn, also. During the warmer months, I would definitely recommend Silva’s and sit on the outdoor patio. The atmosphere, food and drinks are exceptional!

Julia
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 61
    • Total Posts - 65

Boulevard Bistro and Silva’s Sheldon Inn are certainly both good picks. They are a bit pricey. My MOST FAVORITE Elk Grove local restaurant is Todo Un Poco. Amazingly awesome and very unique. Also great for an anniversary.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We are giving away Brunch for 2 to Boulevard Bistro during our giveaway.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

Yes, I want to concur on both Boulevard Bistro and Todo un Poco. You can’t go wrong with either one. If you do Todo un Poco, let Marie pick your wine – she is a fabulous expert in that area.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

And I will just add a budgetary question (in case that is an issue). When my wife and I go to Boulevard Bistro, dinner for two with a bottle of wine ends up coming in around $200…I think it would be hard to get under $150.

GoodEats
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 68
    • Total Posts - 70

@julia 121502 wrote:

Boulevard Bistro and Silva’s Sheldon Inn are certainly both good picks. They are a bit pricey. My MOST FAVORITE Elk Grove local restaurant is Todo Un Poco. Amazingly awesome and very unique. Also great for an anniversary.

I guess I may be in the minority here, but I found both Silva’s and Todo Un Poco’s food to be overrated. They were both okay, but nowhere near the acclaim they’ve received.

blackiris
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 54
    • Total Posts - 55

I agree…Boulevard Bistro.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@steveb6509 121506 wrote:

And I will just add a budgetary question (in case that is an issue). When my wife and I go to Boulevard Bistro, dinner for two with a bottle of wine ends up coming in around $200…I think it would be hard to get under $150.

For two of us with a couple of drinks it’s about $125 with tip.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Us too, Doc. We will get a bottle of wine, an appetizer, 2 entrees, and sometimes split a dessert. We don’t drink crappy wine either. If you have a nice bottle from home you can just pay the corkage fee (I don’t remember what it is). IMO it’s worth the price for a special dinner. Not something we could do often. We went for out 19th wedding anniversary in August. It was the first time we had been since January. I’m hoping to go back soon. Maybe if I win…..(sigh).
    Their menu and pricing is available on line too.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@goodeats 121509 wrote:

I guess I may be in the minority here, but I found both Silva’s and Todo Un Poco’s food to be overrated. They were both okay, but nowhere near the acclaim they’ve received.

I haven’t been to Silva’s in over 10 years but I remember the food as being very good but the inside more casual than I think of for a nice dinner. I think Boulverd Bistro is a notch above in food, atmosphere, decor, etc. It’s more intimate and refined than Silva’s, IMO. I agree about Todo. It’s good food, and it’s certainly unique and different, especially in the sea of chain places that Elk Grove is, but still very casual.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Don’t forget about Sage Mill for lunch. It’s operated by the Boulevard Bistro owners. I think they are open 10 am to 3 pm.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

Boulevard Bistro is well worth it. I felt the need to mention it after a terrible episode 20 years ago in New York. There was an Italian restaurant named Mama Leone’s that had lunch specials for $12.95 So my wife and I had a dinner planned and went there…we figured the dinner would be $20-25. Well, the menus come and they start at $40. We were in our young 20’s and felt terrible. Of course now it’s now big deal but back then, we weren’t ready for it.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Mama Leone’s–LOL–that’s only second to Tavern on the Green as a NYC tourist trap IMO.

Boulevard Bistro is great, not only for Elk Grove, but for the entire region. Silvas is a better than decent old school local restaurant, perfectly fine for a special occasion. I like it a lot–used to go there for apps and drinks a lot. Todo Un Poco is great, casual, Maria does a fine job.

I’ve been to the Brick House twice, thought it was just OK, but both times were lunches so they may have a more interesting dinner menu. Palermo’s, no, not for me. I haven’t set foot in the place for 10 years on a matter of principle. They were OK I guess, at least the food.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Palermo’s is decent but I won’t go there again. The owner stiffed me on advertising. He owes me over $200. We took our soccer club there for an end of the season board member dinner and spent over $300 each time. Plus back in the EGO days he got bashed and I helped them out. He even told some friends he owed me big time.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

If you remember, the bashing was brought on by their actions, and I think it was an expensive lesson. If you’re going to trash competitors, it’s probably not a good idea to post reviews under a fake name, you might get busted, or to start yelling about how bad the food is while dining at a competitor, you might get recognized 😮

GoodEats
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 68
    • Total Posts - 70

@EGL Admin 121537 wrote:

Palermo’s is decent but I won’t go there again. The owner stiffed me on advertising. He owes me over $200. We took our soccer club there for an end of the season board member dinner and spent over $300 each time. Plus back in the EGO days he got bashed and I helped them out. He even told some friends he owed me big time.

I must have missed that drama. When was that?

Palermo used to be in my dining rotation, but I haven’t gone there in over a year. Their food is too much hit or more miss. Their service is even more erratic. Since their menu prices are in the high end, I stopped going there because I couldn’t afford to play Russian roulette with my limited dining dollars.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@lc 121550 wrote:

If you remember, the bashing was brought on by their actions, and I think it was an expensive lesson. If you’re going to trash competitors, it’s probably not a good idea to post reviews under a fake name, you might get busted, or to start yelling about how bad the food is while dining at a competitor, you might get recognized 😮

That’s crazy. I don’t remember that but I don’t doubt it happened like that. What competitor did they bash?

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

@EGL Admin 121519 wrote:

Don’t forget about Sage Mill for lunch. It’s operated by the Boulevard Bistro owners. I think they are open 10 am to 3 pm.

I’m not familiar with Sage Mill. Where is that located? Is it pricey?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

In the old Baguettes Deli location on Elk Grove Florin road

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@goodeats 121563 wrote:

I must have missed that drama. When was that?

Palermo used to be in my dining rotation, but I haven’t gone there in over a year. Their food is too much hit or more miss. Their service is even more erratic. Since their menu prices are in the high end, I stopped going there because I couldn’t afford to play Russian roulette with my limited dining dollars.

It was probably 2007-8?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 121567 wrote:

That’s crazy. I don’t remember that but I don’t doubt it happened like that. What competitor did they bash?

It was Black Horse. It ended up being the son in law of the owner that did it. He later owned Mr. Pickles.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Wow-that was a while ago. And that’s not cool.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I honestly feel sorry for them. Talk about businesses that don’t get it. The sorry thing is their food was quite good, I don’t know about now, have heard mixed reports over the last few years. They never got the front end right, obligatory rather than engaging hosts. They seemed like very bitter people. I remember him complaining over and over about Elk Grove, how people didn’t know food, how they wouldn’t spend money, etc. What they did should not have been a surprise, nor the lack of apology to the other restaurant when requested. Soulless, bitter, not someone who seems to love what they do. How much love are they going to put into their food.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

I’ve got another vote for Boulevard Bistro and another no vote for Brickhouse. Have never been disappointed at BB and have one good experience at Brickhouse vs 4 not so good. We won’t be going back.

Not to promote thread drift but Dine Downtown Sacramento is coming back starting January 7th. I know it’s not Elk Grove local – but it’s a good opportunity to try some places you may not have been and get a good idea of whether or not you want to add them to your dining rotation.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 121593 wrote:

I honestly feel sorry for them. Talk about businesses that don’t get it. The sorry thing is their food was quite good, I don’t know about now, have heard mixed reports over the last few years. They never got the front end right, obligatory rather than engaging hosts. They seemed like very bitter people. I remember him complaining over and over about Elk Grove, how people didn’t know food, how they wouldn’t spend money, etc. What they did should not have been a surprise, nor the lack of apology to the other restaurant when requested. Soulless, bitter, not someone who seems to love what they do. How much love are they going to put into their food.

They were always very friendly hosts though. They moved here from Palo Alto. They had a successful restaurant there but moved to be closer to their daughter and grandkids. He was very bitter and couldn’t understand why business wasn’t better. He feels like he has tried everything. It’s not a great location. Not everyone knows about them.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@govwatcher 121594 wrote:

Not to promote thread drift but Dine Downtown Sacramento is coming back starting January 7th. I know it’s not Elk Grove local – but it’s a good opportunity to try some places you may not have been and get a good idea of whether or not you want to add them to your dining rotation.

Thanks for that reminder, govwatcher. I have in calendared. I want to back to Localis which is my current Sac favorite, and try a couple of others, like Plan B and Ten22. When did Dawson’s get good again? I’ve heard nothing but raves recently–used to be very ordinary. Maybe them as well.

Dine Downtown Sacramento Jan 7 – 16

misskate1999
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 22
    • Total Posts - 23

Silva’s Sheldon Inn all the way!!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’ve heard that Silva’s is under new ownership. The Silva’s will continue work there. Not sure for how long.

misskate1999
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 22
    • Total Posts - 23

@EGL Admin 121645 wrote:

I’ve heard that Silva’s is under new ownership. The Silva’s will continue work there. Not sure for how long.

I really hope nothing changes! We love going there!

MottaBellissimoPainting
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 36
    • Total Posts - 40

We are huge fans of Palermo Ristorante……We support the Toccagino family whenever possible. Authentic Northern Italian cooking. Old-fashioned customer service that rarely exists these days….. :biggrin:

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@goodeats 121509 wrote:

The last time I went to Todo Un Poco, Marie wasn’t there. Service was on the slow end. Wasn’t busy at all and the food wasn’t that great. Usually I have great service and food. A friend told us about it 3-4 years ago. We haven’t been since early this year, but we are do for a trip back there soon.

Also, I’ve been eating outside of EG. My next stop is Sellands, never been there heard good things about it though. Doc, LC have either of you been?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’ve been to Sellands. It’s pretty good. Good sandwiches.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Sellands has a great deal, $25 for two for dinner, including wine. We run up to ElDo on occasion to do that. Sellands food is not something I crave, but they do a good job. I think the dinner special is a ridiculously good deal, otherwise it’s not usually a top choice. Nice store though, lots of good selections. Doc’s “pretty good” is where I am with them too.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I would do that dinner deal. I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat there myself. They have decent sides, like pasta and potato salads, veggies etc.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

LC – Ten22 is one of our favs. Food is excellent and it is less stuffy than some of the others that serve that caliber of food. The only downside I have ever seen is that the bar is really an integral part of the restaurant space and it can spill over during an after work happy hour time. Enjoy!

We looked at Localis – you recommend it?

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I was thinking of doing their dinner deal. I was looking at their menu that they update I believe weekly, maybe monthly with what deals they’re running. I was thinking on going if I’m in the area, but wanted to get some others opinions.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@govwatcher 121705 wrote:

LC – Ten22 is one of our favs. Food is excellent and it is less stuffy than some of the others that serve that caliber of food. The only downside I have ever seen is that the bar is really an integral part of the restaurant space and it can spill over during an after work happy hour time. Enjoy!

We looked at Localis – you recommend it?

I cannot recommend it strongly enough IF you’re experimental in your food tasting and passionate about modernist. Chris uses a lot of modernist techniques and is on the cutting edge of cuisine. It’s not for everyone because it’s so odd at times. The only thing that we didn’t rave over was the braised lamb belly and I hated it. But, when asked (and the servers are total foodies and you will learn from them), and I said I didn’t like it, it was gone and replaced with something I did.

I’m always screwing with my crude version of modernist techniques, so for me it was like taking a class and having truly exceptional food, although I think for four of us we were around $350 when done, but I think we tipped $50-$60 and ordered whatever we wanted. A chef’s sampler plate (recommended) for two is $110 or so. The food is nearly all local, and top, top quality. It’s the best beef I’ve ever tasted–all one ounce of it or so. Portions are on the small side, but to me the value is there. To others, it might seem pricey for the actual quantity.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Should add that while having a group there is by far the best idea for trading food, four is about the reasonable max due to the limited seating. Some people like to sit at the counter and watch Chris work–I’d like that too but it’s hard to socialize that way. For two, I’d totally try to get a counter seat. Dress warm–most of the seating in on the patio and it’s probably not fully weatherized yet.

We just booked for four, and there some slots open on Friday still.

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

Add me to the list of Boulevard Bistro fans. It is my first choice for a special meal. Silva’s is a good option as well.

GoodEats
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 68
    • Total Posts - 70

@EGL Admin 121645 wrote:

Yup you’re right about the change in ownership.

http://www.sacbee.com/food-drink/appetizers/article49903950.html

Restaurants regulrly open and close, and some change ownerships. This recent trio of local transitions are cases in point:

Silva’s Sheldon Inn in Elk Grove has changed ownership, as husband-wife founders Doug and Barbara Silva have moved on. (It remains open for business.) The couple opened the restaurant in 1988 with a menu that still features meat, fish and pasta in an atmosphere of “simple country elegance.” The restaurant is housed in a century-old building of local historical interest.

Why the change? “Barbara felt she was ready to retire, and I realized I was probably ready to change my future as well,” said Doug Silva.

Silva, a graduate of the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco, helped Biba Caggiano open her landmark Italian dining house in 1986. Right now, though, he is one of the final candidates for a full-time teaching job in the American River College Culinary Arts Program, where he has taught part-time for 10 years. Its student-run restaurant, the Oak Cafe, is one of the best lunch bargains in Sacramento. “I just completed my final interview, and I will hear very soon if that will be my future,” he said by phone this morning.

After a year of conversations and negotiations, the Silvas sold their restaurant to businessman Jeffery Adkins, a longtime neighbor and friend. Adkins plans to expand the outdoor area, and could possibly open a wine-tasting room next door, Silva said.

The restaurant’s former sous chef, Ron Lesniak, is now the executive chef. “He and (Adkins) have broadened the menu somewhat, but they’re going to keep the formula the same,” Silva assured. “It’s not cutting edge, but obviously it has worked.”

Silva’s Sheldon Inn 2.0 “is a process, but so far nothing has missed a beat,” Silva said. “Right now it’s a matter of stabilizing everything. I’ll be consulting for a few more months, but Barbara and I are very happy to leave a legacy in place.”

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Adkins owns Future Solar I believe. They are going to fix up the upstairs and the patio. Doug Silva is still there for now he was cooking on Wednesday.

kathmorgan12
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 9
    • Total Posts - 9

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Silva’s is also looking to accommodate outdoor weddings. The Future Solar property backs up to Silva’s.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.