fbpx

Retirement facility – if your elderly parent went missing?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Scarlet 4 years ago.

• Author

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Would you be very happy if your elderly family member walked out?

I live in a neighborhood that is fairly close to a very nice retirement facility. The cottages are different levels according to the needs to the retiree. Some of the cottages are for Alzheimer’s or other medical needs.

Last week on my way out I noticed one of the employees walking rather quickly in our neighborhood – So I stopped and asked if she was missing someone. And sure enough an elderly woman was missing. So I flipped around to go thru some of the courts. One of the neighbors was out, she indeed did see her, the woman was asking for directions for somewhere to far to walk. The elderly woman wouldn’t stay with her, but she did call the police. (I wish she would have followed her). I asked her how long, and it was at least 15-20 minutes. Went back to the employee and let them know. The facility had not called the police yet.

I looked a little longer in a couple of different neighborhoods and made the assumption or hoped that the police picked up.

I wasn’t happy with the facility, they only had two people looking for her by foot. Why not call the police right away? The police could have sent out an automated phone call and text message to our neighborhoods. I was hoping the police actually picked her up before the facility, and that maybe they were able to get contact information from her for one of her relatives.

A while back there was another woman at the gate waving her hand thru the side gate, so we stopped and she wanted to go home, she wanted me to call her family. I stayed with her, while my husband drove around to let someone know.

I’m thinking they might need to have a higher sounding alarm on the doors, so they know when someone is leaving.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I think I would call and speak to the Manager or call a corporate office and let them know what you have seen from this location. The families of the residents don’t have any idea this is going on.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That’s not good. It’s kind of a big deal in that situation. You wanna bet they didn’t tell the family? They need to hav better security.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

The police department has a free bracelet for people that have cognitive or autism. The bracelet helps LE locate them. The facility needs more security.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I would be mad.

party-of-six
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 111
    • Total Posts - 120

Uh oh….this sounds like the place my mom is at and I worry about her deciding to just go for a walk someday and not being able to find her way.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

Party of six where is your mother?

party-of-six
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 111
    • Total Posts - 120

Lizzie, she is currently at Brookdale.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

If she stays in the neighborhood directly behind her – it’s a large circle a mile long but it does have courts and cut-outs and you can access the park and green belt. you might want to take her for a walk to show her, people do get confused thinking there is a quick access to get out and there is not – and maybe she needs my address for a resting point?

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

We looked at Brookdale. We decided against because the residents do not wear security buttons. EGPD has bracelets that will help locate dementia afflicted that wanders off.

party-of-six
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 111
    • Total Posts - 120

Lizzie, where did you decide? I can’t remember. You can PM me if you’d prefer.

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

We selected the Commons. My MIL still does not like it but I think she does not like anything. Although they have Aumba gold, and bumper pool that she really likes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.