fbpx
Advertisements

Ridge Shopping Center and Costco Project community meeting, March 7

This topic contains 57 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The City of Elk Grove is holding a community meeting to discuss the proposed new Costco and also the Ridge Shopping Center. The meeting will be Monday, March 7, from 6 pm to 8 pm in the City Hall Chambers.

About the Projects

The City received two applications in fall 2015 from Pappas Gateway, L.P. and Costco Wholesale requesting approval of various Planning permits (referred to as entitlements). If approved, the two interrelated projects would develop the approximate 40 acre property located at the southeastern corner of Bruceville Road and Elk Grove Boulevard.

Project_Map.jpg

The Ridge Shopping Center:

As proposed, The Ridge Shopping Center would develop approximately 223,000± square feet of commercial buildings on 24 acres of the subject property. The square footage would be divided amongst two “major” tenant buildings, 8 “store front” pad buildings, and 7 pad buildings with possible drive through services.

Current Proposed Site Plan

RidgeProposedSite.jpg

Ridge Shopping Center Plan

Costco Wholesale:

As proposed, Costco would develop a 150,000± square foot warehouse store and a 30 pump island fueling facility on approximately 16 acres immediately adjacent to The Ridge Shopping Center. Costco has been designed to effectively be a part of The Ridge Shopping Center with vehicle and pedestrian cross access provided on all sides of the building.

Current Proposed Site Plan

CostcoCurrentProposedSitePlan.jpg

Costco Plans

Current Status

The City and other appropriate agencies have provided comments to both applicants over the course of the last few months. A revised site plan has been submitted for the Costco portion of the project. A new submittal is still anticipated for The Ridge Shopping Center. Additionally, a traffic study analyzing both of the projects has been provided and reviewed by staff.

Project Context

The Ridge and Costco are proposed on property identified in the City’s General Plan (the long-range master plan for the City) and the Laguna Ridge Specific Plan for commercial-retail development. The property has been zoned “Shopping Center (SC)” Commercial. As such, the City’s review at this stage is on the design (e.g., architecture, landscaping, lighting, amenities) and operation (e.g., screening from adjacent retail, limitation of noise, truck traffic routing) of the proposed shopping center.

Opportunities to Participate

A community meeting to discuss the details of the projects will be held to discuss the projects on March 7, 2016 at City Hall from 6 PM to 8 PM. All residents are encouraged to attend and participate in the discussion. Additionally, written comments can be submitted to the Planning Department at any time (jjordan@elkgrovecity.org).

Community Meeting:
    March 7, 2016
    City Hall Council Chambers (8400 Laguna Palms Way)
    6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
    A public hearing with the Planning Commission at a regularly scheduled meeting will be the next step in the review process. Notification of this meeting will be provided here as well as through the City’s normal notification process when a specific date has been determined.

http://www.elkgrovecity.org/city_hall/departments_divisions/planning/current_development_projects/the_ridge_shopping_center_and_costco/

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Should be an interesting meeting. People don’t understand the process. I think they believe the city is proposing this or responsible for it. They don’t understand zoning.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’m more interested to see what types of businesses come to the Ridge Shopping Center.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Lots of food, that’s pretty obvious in the site plan, plus food sellers are one of the very few categories making any money. Current viable retail categories are shrinking. I’d expect the usual mid boxes to dominate those designated spaces. You can look at Delta Shores to see who is expanding, and it’s a pretty common group of names.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Looks like maybe a couple of drive through.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Wasn’t this already approved though for Costco? Is there a chance it won’t be able to come if people oppose it?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It was never approved yet. Is there a chance? There’s always a chance but it will get approved. All these projects are worked on for months before it even goes public. Costco wants to get it approved so they work with city staff on it to address any issues before it gets to this stage. I think this became public in late October? I’m sure they were already working on it weeks and months before.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

We on the Trails Committee reviewed the projects last month. Our scope was limited looking at the trail along EG Blvd and access into the center from the trail. We made comments and recommendations to staff and the developer. They’ll look at making some small changes based on our recommendations. Similar reviews have been going on with various city staffers since the developer submitted the development application.

I’ve read some comments on FB about traffic already being horrible at Bruceville and Elk Grove Blvd. While true I sure hope those concerned about traffic aren’t obstructionist when it comes to the Whitelock/99 Interchange. Much of the traffic on Elk Grove Blvd would be diverted to Whitelock when that interchange is built.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

I think its great, but I live on the other side of 99. :stir:

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I’ve heard about it coming to that corner for a long time…….interesting. I didn’t know it wasn’t a done deal, I just thought it was following true EG fashion and permits were stalling etc.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It’s not a done deal until approved, but something like this, it’s going to get done. The developer, Costco, and City planning staff have been working on it for awhile so there will be no surprises when it goes to the planning commission. Of course the commission could want some changes, but it will get done.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Having been in Costco’s position on a number of smaller projects, I can tell you that going through these public meetings with any use that is either controversial or a traffic generator, or in the worst case both, would not appear on most people’s bucket list.

We know we should consider the neighbors, and the newer design requirements that are generally similar statewide have helped us with that decision. That was spin for we got no choice. 🙂 With that said, I think we were the first commercial developers in Elk Grove to expose ourselves, or me anyway, on a community forum as a way of reaching out to the neighbors and community. Had some bumps, but overall it was a net positive for us. I met a lot of great people, got a better idea of in what kind of stores our potential customers would trade cash for product, and would and I’d do it again. The perplexing thing is that the people behind the dais don’t get to conduct capability tests of public speakers, and so many should not be speaking as they either have no idea of the project conditions, no understanding of the sphere of influence, or in a few cases are just downright rude. And, we all have to endure that, even though it’s often non productive.

When I was on the other side in our local CPAC, it was interesting to see the public speakers from the community planning perspective. Those that got our attention and often our support were prepared with properly sized graphics, references for their “facts,” and were always, repeat ALWAYS pleasant and respectful of others in the room, regardless of their positions.

We would have people sometimes complaining about a project that lived two or three miles away. One member, often the most vocal, would advise them that the project sphere would not impact them (if that was the case), and for the benefit of time to please tell us their true objection, and “I just don’t like it” was acceptable. About half the time, they’d smile and just say OK, you’re right, I just don’t like it. That’s like telling a prospect applying for credit that we allow only three bankruptcies, how many have you had, and they gleefully answer, “only one!” And, they’re shown the door. But, you can’t do that at the council level.

Obstructionists, as Bainc called them, often do it for sport, not because a project presents real problems. And, there are some that bring real potential problems to our attention, and we thank them and adjust accordingly.

In the case of Costco, the traffic flows per square foot are much less than a Target or Walmart, and their hours are not early or late, possibly excepting gasoline sales. The traffic impaction argument won’t fly because traffic studies were done prior to street widening when we had that property, and subsequent studies have also been completed. Other than obviously adding traffic, as the property is currently unimproved, I can’t foresee any objections that would cause the approval not to move forward.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

Interesting. I had pictured the Costco right out on the corner, not tucked back from EG Blvd.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

It’s a great location for a large shopping center. With access roads on 3 sides you should be able to get in and out going any direction efficiently. Compare this location to the Laguna Gateway shopping center (Home Depot, Best Buy, Holiday Inn) where everybody tries to get in/out from West Stockton.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

SO looking forward to Costco coming.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 124545 wrote:

It’s a great location for a large shopping center. With access roads on 3 sides you should be able to get in and out going any direction efficiently. Compare this location to the Laguna Gateway shopping center (Home Depot, Best Buy, Holiday Inn) where everybody tries to get in/out from West Stockton.

That center is awful, especially if you want to go east on Laguna. Everything on Laguna Springs just south of the intersection is bad too. There are multiple left turn lanes. There’s almost 2 back to back to turn into the same general area. Makes you wonder who approves of that planning.

People act like Costco is going to be like coming and going to a Kings game with hundreds and thousands of cars all at once. This one will be less crowded than the South Sac. That one is also a pain to get out of. If you want to leave there and come back to Elk Grove, it’s a hassle. If you turn right, there is no place to make a U turn to get on 99 or back to East Stockton. The light by Wendy’s doesn’t allow left turns. I usually go to the road on the south end of Costco and try to turn left but sometimes that can take awhile.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I just take a left out of Costco and take the frontage road that runs along the freeway and then turn right, go past Sam’s Club, make another right, and jump on the freeway. Takes only a second.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Turning left out of Costco isn’t always that easy though with traffic. That’s why i go to the street next to it and turn left from there because there is less cross traffic.

jusme
    Participant
    • Topics - 258
    • Replies - 800
    • Total Posts - 1,058

If/when this is approved, what is the likely completion date?

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@EGL Admin 124551 wrote:

That center is awful, especially if you want to go east on Laguna. Everything on Laguna Springs just south of the intersection is bad too. There are multiple left turn lanes. There’s almost 2 back to back to turn into the same general area. Makes you wonder who approves of that planning.

People act like Costco is going to be like coming and going to a Kings game with hundreds and thousands of cars all at once. This one will be less crowded than the South Sac. That one is also a pain to get out of. If you want to leave there and come back to Elk Grove, it’s a hassle. If you turn right, there is no place to make a U turn to get on 99 or back to East Stockton. The light by Wendy’s doesn’t allow left turns. I usually go to the road on the south end of Costco and try to turn left but sometimes that can take awhile.

I agree. I lived over behind Home Depot and Logans for 12+ years. Just moved a month ago. Didn’t mind the area but in the afternoon and especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas is was a mess over there.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

what impact will this have on the “mall” space back there off Kammerer/Grant Line and Hw99?
    That is, will the numerous number of business pads detract from from the mall space? Or is there no impact since the mall space is targeted for “big”/high-profile stores?

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Pretty minimal. This is what we call a community center, as opposed to neighborhood or regional. The food will have no effect; fast feeders will space a mile apart if warranted. Costco and some of the mid-boxes might pull a little from the mall, but if it grows as an outlet mall which is small regional in scope as planned, it’s usually a different shopping trip. This project may pull from Laguna Blvd. however.

We don’t know what will happen to the SWC of Elk Grove Blvd and Big Horn. That was originally planned as a 150,000 SF neighborhood grocery anchored center, and although the size won’t change as it’s bookended on the west now by the hospital property, the character of the center may change. The city wanted us to build a mixed use main street project, and we refused, thank God. I think they still have that on the books as a Main Street, but with all the failures of that model I’m sure the city will look at other plans when the new owners present them. I don’t know who would go there with a grocery store, maybe Safeway-Albertsons if they get into an expansion mode again.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I know the the stores have metrics on where they located, but I really don’t think Elk Grove needs anymore grocery stores. Most aren’t busy as it is except for the 5-7 pm rush. I drive by Smart and Final 2-3 times a week and it never looks busy. I haven’t been in there since the opening week. I don’t even think about it to be honest. No grocery store is going to go in anywhere in Laguna and be “successful” I don’t think.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I think at this point the grocers agree with you, Doc. There really aren’t any holes, although with no Safeway down Bruceville and only Nugget at the Bruceville intersection, leaving only two grocery stores on a five mile stretch of EG Blvd—but with a Walmart on Bruceville which is a negative–there might be some interest on Madeira buildout.

What would be killer for everyone is to have a Fork Lift on that corner, but with Nugget so close, not likely. That is my favorite of any place now, and I actually drive up to Cameron Park to shop it every couple of weeks.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Would love to see another Winco further from South Sac but I doubt that will happen. Winco is super busy at all hours.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I could see one at some point in the future when Madeira and SEPA are built out. Maybe somewhere near the Outlet Mall.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 124596 wrote:

I think at this point the grocers agree with you, Doc. There really aren’t any holes, although with no Safeway down Bruceville and only Nugget at the Bruceville intersection, leaving only two grocery stores on a five mile stretch of EG Blvd—but with a Walmart on Bruceville which is a negative–there might be some interest on Madeira buildout.

What would be killer for everyone is to have a Fork Lift on that corner, but with Nugget so close, not likely. That is my favorite of any place now, and I actually drive up to Cameron Park to shop it every couple of weeks.

I have heard of Fork Lift but never been. What is it? I know it’s affiliated with Nugget.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Fork Lift is a one off for Nugget, a hybrid warehouse specialty market. Nugget has several Food4Less franchises, and they converted this one in Cameron Park. Prices are a little lower than in conventional Nuggets. It’s an odd combination of a Winco-style layout, but with upscale foods along with traditional grocery store merchandise. I’ve never seen a larger microbrew or coffee selection. They have a huge meat and fish department with really knowledgable employees. For the meat, I spent about 15 minutes with the butcher who actually toured me. They have USDA Choice labeled meats, and ungraded beef which he says is Select, but it’s ungraded. If you pick through the select cuts, you can often find true Choice quality at Select prices. Some of the Choice meats are close to Prime.

They have a huge deli. You can eat there if you wish, or take home. Gondolas loaded with cheese, all kinds of cool stuff. Beautiful store, definitely an upscale feel.

It’s certainly a peculiar location for an upscale warehouse store. That one I don’t get. Other than El Dorado Hills down the grade, and there’s a Nugget in ElDo, it’s not generally an upscale market area. Cameron Park certainly isn’t overall. Placerville isn’t, but there are some pockets like Greenstone and some beautiful homes south of 50 that are, just not that many. On a weekend there are plenty of people, and on weekdays it’s brisk, not crowded. The people do look more upscale than the locals for the most part, I just don’t where they’re coming from. I live 15 minutes away and consider it a drive. Most people won’t drive more than 8 minutes to a grocery store if there are multiple choices. I’ve never even been to the ElDo Nugget, not normally a Nugget shopper. This one is worth the drive for me.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

If you missed the meeting last night you can go to our Facebook page and see all 5 parts of the video. It was just over two hours long.

Costco Meeting

My comments on the meeting. It went about as planned. Residents were upset with location and the potential for increased traffic. Reasonable complaints, but nothing that will change the outcome. I think maybe some type of “planning for dummies” course should be made available to the public so they can better understand how the process works. People want Costco to build it by the mall and they want the city to move the project there. It doesn’t work that way. Someone asked about a Plan B. There is no Plan B. You don’t try and develop two locations at the same time. Too time consuming and expensive. The Costco people were getting frustrated because people kept asking about them building it by the mall and they wanted to know what other locations were looked at. Costco isn’t obligated to talk about that. Some comments and questions were not very smart. Someone asked if Costco would build a second store by the mall. Where has Costco build two stores within 2-3 miles of each other? That’s not going to happen. Another guy was harping on the trees around the project and wanting to know if the city was planting new trees on the outskirts to hide the project and why wasn’t Costco paying for that. Then he wanted to talk about increased water usage for those trees. Another person asked who pays for the water used on the project. Of course Costco does, just like any other land owner or tenant. The city doesn’t pay for private use.

There were some good questions. There were some that made me shake my head.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

There is a great, untapped market out there for consulting to HOAs and neighborhood groups about how to run the table in a public hearing and get much of what they want, or at least a portion of it that matters. The one thing that blows up the model is no one, no group, would pay for the advice they sorely need.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I lol’ed at the “Are you going to build two Costco’s.” WTH….

Shoot, might as well build a Costco at Delta Shores too.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

I’ve said it before, but it always amuses me…

The definition of Ironic… People complain about traffic and development when they are living in a house that was on a cattle ranch, farm, or dairy about a decade ago…. :biggrin:

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Any comments on the gasoline sales? Surprised someone didn’t suggest electric charging stations instead.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 124717 wrote:

Any comments on the gasoline sales? Surprised someone didn’t suggest electric charging stations instead.

Someone suggested electric charging in addition to the gas pumps. A few spoke out against the gas. One guy wanted I think 8-12 pumps, but doesn’t want a line like at the south sac Costco. If you have 8-12, you’ll have a line. If you have 24, you won’t have a line.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@CJay916 124716 wrote:

I’ve said it before, but it always amuses me…

The definition of Ironic… People complain about traffic and development when they are living in a house that was on a cattle ranch, farm, or dairy about a decade ago…. :biggrin:

The definition of too much growth is anyone who moves in after me.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 124718 wrote:

Someone suggested electric charging in addition to the gas pumps. A few spoke out against the gas. One guy wanted I think 8-12 pumps, but doesn’t want a line like at the south sac Costco. If you have 8-12, you’ll have a line. If you have 24, you won’t have a line.

I want less gas pumps with no line. I don’t get it… Actually, I went to South Sac Costco Saturday around 5 PM and the gas area had about 8 cars in it.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@EGL Admin 124709 wrote:

If you missed the meeting last night you can go to our Facebook page and see all 5 parts of the video. It was just over two hours long.

Costco Meeting

…People want Costco to build it by the mall and they want the city to move the project there. It doesn’t work that way…

fblike Thanks for the minutes, Admin!
    I’m one of the “dummies” that do not understand how City planning works (I’ll admit to it :taser), though I wasn’t at the meeting. So are you saying “it doesn’t work that way” as in the City and Costco can’t simply pick up and leave the Bruceville/EG Blvd site and go to the Mall space? Or is there something else that I don’t know?

@EGL Admin 124718 wrote:

There’ll still be a line with 24 pumps 😛
    Although, i’m not sure how charging stations would work – unless they mean to implement charging stations for several parking spaces. I guess I don’t understand why they mention gas-pumps when suggesting charging stations – those 2 don’t significantly affect one or the other, IMO.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It doesn’t work that way meaning that Costco isn’t going to change the location because some people are upset. They didn’t do all this work the past few months to now throw it away and start over. That requires two things. A willing buyer and seller. Maybe they looked by the mall and there is no willing seller. I don’t know.

The charging station issue. I don’t think it’s relevant at all. I think we do need more electric car charging stations in Elk Grove. There are a handful of them now. I think Tesla will be putting one in at some point. Maybe at the outlet mall. The city has talked to mall developers about it. I suggested it to another developer too. That seems fairly easy to do for a regular charging station. Set aside 6-8 spots at the back of the parking lot for electric cars. Don’t put it up front because then idiots will park there and not charge.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Doesn’t it take a while to charge an electric vehicle? Is a 30 minutes long enough to charge a car? I don’t think it’s Costco’s responsibility to provide electric vehicle charging stations, and I don’t think most people will spend enough time at Costco to charge their car. How do they arrange payment for the electricity used for charging cars?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Some charging stations charge a fee to use them. Some are paid by the property owners or businesses. The idea is that people will come and stay and eat and shop, this offsetting the cost of it. The Tesla superchargers are free. It takes 30-45 minutes to get a full charge. They are usually located near restaurants or shopping. I would guess that Tesla and the business work out a deal to install the chargers. I don’t know how long it takes to charge other electric cars.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

funny observation I had regarding the Tesla chargers – everytime I visit the Folsom outlets (the only place I know of currently with them) I see at least 1 Tesla there charging… and the driver is in the car. I’m guessing they’re just stopping by for a charge, and might not have visited the outlets at all. And it makes more sense now, if it’s really does only take up to 45min for a full charge.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@newmom 124748 wrote:

Doesn’t it take a while to charge an electric vehicle? Is a 30 minutes long enough to charge a car? I don’t think it’s Costco’s responsibility to provide electric vehicle charging stations, and I don’t think most people will spend enough time at Costco to charge their car. How do they arrange payment for the electricity used for charging cars?

You can spend an hour in Costco easily.

45 minutes for a full charge.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I probably spend less than 30 in Costco. I don’t browse when I am there. I go in and get what I need and leave.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 124786 wrote:

I probably spend less than 30 in Costco. I don’t browse when I am there. I go in and get what I need and leave.

I’m in there for an hour. But I go there every other month, so I’m doing a major shopping when I go.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Between Sam’s and Costco I probably go 2-3 times a month total.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 124793 wrote:

Between Sam’s and Costco I probably go 2-3 times a month total.

I can see why you are in and out then. LOL.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

But Costco gets new stuff all the time. If you don’t browse around a bit, you miss out on all the impulse buys! 😉

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

If you something you like, you better buy it because next week it won’t be there. I do wish they would stop moving stuff around so much.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

The moving stuff thing? Drives me nuts!!

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

I guess that’s the point. They keep moving things around so we are forced to search for stuff and in doing so find new things we didn’t even know we needed until we got there.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@kindrlindr 124869 wrote:

The moving stuff thing? Drives me nuts!!

I’m right there with you on that one.. Move the not every day stuff around, but things like bread and soda or common foods… keep em where they are…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

When I go to the one in South Sac, I don’t even look at the right side heading towards the bakery. There is nothing there I need. I will glance in the middle area. Most of the stuff I buy is in the frozen or fridge area, left side or in the back.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

The Costco project went before the city Council on Wednesday night. They delayed the vote seeking enhanced architectural improvements. In the staff report they mentioned a potential subsidy sought by the developer or Costco but then Councilman Detrick denied that was true and chastised the media. I’m wondering if this project once approved will be delayed until they receive a subsidy? Approval doesn’t mean construction, look no further then the mall as example 1A.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Did Costco request a subsidy, or did they receive one? There’s a big difference, and requesting is not unusual. The “subsidy,” if any, may be in indirect forms such as amortized/delayed impact fees. Unlike some tenants like Bass Pro Shops, Costco is not known for universally requiring public subsidies.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

That’s what’s weird. The staff report as well as the Bee reported they would later seek a subsidy but Detrick denied they were seeking the subsidy. Apparently the subsidy was sought by the land owner and not Costco. Interesting development. Nothing was approved yet.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 126058 wrote:

The Costco project went before the city Council on Wednesday night. They delayed the vote seeking enhanced architectural improvements. In the staff report they mentioned a potential subsidy sought by the developer or Costco but then Councilman Detrick denied that was true and chastised the media. I’m wondering if this project once approved will be delayed until they receive a subsidy? Approval doesn’t mean construction, look no further then the mall as example 1A.

I don’t think you can compare the mall to this though. The mall doesn’t have stores so that’s why it’s not built.

It sounded like the developer was going to ask for something and then pass it along to Costco in the form of lower lease payments. The news story made it seem like if they didn’t get it that they wouldn’t build it. I would tell them to go pound salt if that’s what they want. That type of stuff should have been figured out already before getting to this point, in my opinion.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My understanding in reading the article was what LC and you said-Costco is demanding lower rents, so has instructed the developer to request offsets of the fees to the developer, then the developer will pass the savings along to Costco in the form of lower rents.
    I wonder where the truth actually lies though…it seems Detrick says there are no requests for subsidies or lower/delayed fees, etc.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

This is actually a land lease, which is unusual for Costco, and from what I heard they’re paying pretty good rent for it too. My guess is this revolves around traffic mitigation fees, which are the largest of any fee in Elk Grove in the development process. The city has some options for them now, however a permanent waiver is not one of them.

I don’t think the deal is signed yet either, so there may actually some conditions for them to move forward.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

I have not seen anything where Costco asked for incentives. I have read that Pappas asked for it (and with their strong city connections, that is not a surprise). I have to feel that this deal would go forward with or without the incentives. I bet this goes forward without official incentives and then Pappas gets incentives for some other project down the road.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.